Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Mar 2024 at 1:22 PM
Default Text file documenting different directories in game files
I found something I could make that could be useful, at least for me.
Basically a text file that has the names of each folder in TS2's Documents directory and the explanation of what each is.
This could be practical for installation instructions but also just curiosity.
I'm thinking it will be a bit of a dumb idea since you can easily search what each one is, but I intend to document even the unknown ones, although I want your feedback on this project. :D

Cats are the cutest creatures. And the most stubborn.
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 14th Mar 2024 at 1:30 PM
Well, most of the folder names are self-explanatory anyway. Like, Cameras contains files that define camera behavior; Collections contains files that define collections in build/buy mode; Logs are logs etc. I suppose the main concern would be the SavedSims, LockedBins and Teleport?
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 14th Mar 2024 at 1:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by topp
Well, most of the folder names are self-explanatory anyway. Like, Cameras contains files that define camera behavior; Collections contains files that define collections in build/buy mode; Logs are logs etc. I suppose the main concern would be the SavedSims, LockedBins and Teleport?

Stuff like that. Yup, most are self-explanatory, so I'm planning to document some unknown ones.
There are some other stuff I wish to write about as extras for example the Bins folder in the game's files as well, not just userdata.

Theorist
#4 Old 14th Mar 2024 at 1:41 PM
Hm, perhaps. It never hurts to have some more information about something!

Though, even if I knew that the Overrides folder in the game files contains overrides of game objects without marking those as custom objects, I'm not sure if I'll benefit from that information directly - personally, I only put things in the program files if the mod has specific install instructions anyway.
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 14th Mar 2024 at 1:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by topp
Hm, perhaps. It never hurts to have some more information about something!

Though, even if I knew that the Overrides folder in the game files contains overrides of game objects without marking those as custom objects, I'm not sure if I'll benefit from that information directly - personally, I only put things in the program files if the mod has specific install instructions anyway.

Yeah, that's why I'll only write about game file directories that are commonly used for custom install instructions:
Bins, Skins, and some other are used to install some specific mods.

Test Subject
#6 Old 8th Apr 2024 at 6:17 AM
Any update?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#7 Old 8th Apr 2024 at 8:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by EmilyOwens
Any update?

Here!
https://modthesims.info/t/683868