Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Nov 2023 at 7:45 PM
Default Uv messed up after importing to tsrw
I made a tree using blender and everything is fine till I import my tree to tsrw… the uv of the mesh gets messed up and I don’t know what causes it or how to fix it… please does someone know how to fix this and why it happen!
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 17th Nov 2023 at 9:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lulu123
I made a tree using blender and everything is fine till I import my tree to tsrw… the uv of the mesh gets messed up and I don’t know what causes it or how to fix it… please does someone know how to fix this and why it happen!

Possibly some pics, so folks can see what you see, and what is your tsrw clone donor. Different objects use different texture sizes.

Shiny, happy people make me puke!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th Nov 2023 at 11:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LadySmoks
Possibly some pics, so folks can see what you see, and what is your tsrw clone donor. Different objects use different texture sizes.

well i checked the uv map in milkshape after i exportet it as tsrw object and the uv is messed up... the first picture is how it should look like and the other is how it's not supposed to look like
Screenshots
Forum Resident
#4 Old 18th Nov 2023 at 1:59 PM
well i checked the uv map in milkshape after i exportet it as tsrw object and the uv is messed up... the first picture is how it should look like and the other is how it's not supposed to look like

OK... Hopefully, someone who uses Milkshape, and understands what those pics are, will pop in and be able to help you. I only work in Blender, so all I see are a bunch of red dots. Blender UV mapping is vastly different. Sorry I cannot help.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 18th Nov 2023 at 2:14 PM Last edited by Lulu123 : 18th Nov 2023 at 2:53 PM.
OK... Hopefully, someone who uses Milkshape, and understands what those pics are, will pop in and be able to help you. I only work in Blender, so all I see are a bunch of red dots. Blender UV mapping is vastly different. Sorry I cannot help.

here's the blender uv map and it's the first picture is that messed up after importing to tsrw
Screenshots
Forum Resident
#6 Old 18th Nov 2023 at 6:36 PM
here's the blender uv map and it's the first picture is that messed up after importing to tsrw

Absolutely no idea why your UV did that, BUT, perhaps I can help? Generally, when I do objects in TSRW/ Blender, I export the donor object from TSRW as "wavefront object .obj". In Blender, I import both the donor, and my mesh. I resize the UV of donor group_0, and move it slightly off the UV grid. Next, I match my object group to the correct material of the donor group_0 and join my mesh to the donor. Example, if donor group_0 is phong shader, I join the part of my mesh that should be phong shader to the donor. I guess that for a tree, this would be the trunk and branches. Then, select the donor UV and delete the donor mesh. Now, my (your) mesh IS group_0. Repeat this for each group, matching materials. This is probably going to be "drop shadow" and "foliage" shader for leaves.

Export your mesh as object groups. Import to TSRW as object. I have never had a UV just change when doing it this way.

Your other option is to fix the UV, manually. Import the pic of the good UV, and in edit mode, pull that stray vertice on the left back into place. On the right, flip that part on y axis, and pull those vertice back. But, starting over as I outlined above should work.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 18th Nov 2023 at 7:28 PM
Absolutely no idea why your UV did that, BUT, perhaps I can help? Generally, when I do objects in TSRW/ Blender, I export the donor object from TSRW as "wavefront object .obj". In Blender, I import both the donor, and my mesh. I resize the UV of donor group_0, and move it slightly off the UV grid. Next, I match my object group to the correct material of the donor group_0 and join my mesh to the donor. Example, if donor group_0 is phong shader, I join the part of my mesh that should be phong shader to the donor. I guess that for a tree, this would be the trunk and branches. Then, select the donor UV and delete the donor mesh. Now, my (your) mesh IS group_0. Repeat this for each group, matching materials. This is probably going to be "drop shadow" and "foliage" shader for leaves.

Export your mesh as object groups. Import to TSRW as object. I have never had a UV just change when doing it this way.

Your other option is to fix the UV, manually. Import the pic of the good UV, and in edit mode, pull that stray vertice on the left back into place. On the right, flip that part on y axis, and pull those vertice back. But, starting over as I outlined above should work.

By material do you mean when I have the mesh (in my case a tree) in tsrw and I import the meshes or do you mean material that I have in blender/milkshape? And to fix the uv manually do you mean in blender or milkshape?
Forum Resident
#8 Old 18th Nov 2023 at 10:23 PM
By material do you mean when I have the mesh (in my case a tree) in tsrw and I import the meshes or do you mean material that I have in blender/milkshape? And to fix the uv manually do you mean in blender or milkshape?

I mean, as the material listed for each group in the mesh tab in TSRW. Objects usually are more than one group. This is because they use more than one shader. If you match the wrong part to the wrong shader, things will look strange. See thru tree trunk and solid block for leaves, etc.

Screenshots

Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 19th Nov 2023 at 1:03 AM
I mean, as the material listed for each group in the mesh tab in TSRW. Objects usually are more than one group. This is because they use more than one shader. If you match the wrong part to the wrong shader, things will look strange. See thru tree trunk and solid block for leaves, etc.

Okay then I understand! And that’s what I have been doing too. By the way do you know why mesh have been messed up before when I do an object that has more groups then group_0? Because I fixed it kinda before by using another version of blender but it doesn’t work now, can this be why my trees uv doesn’t work?
Forum Resident
#10 Old 19th Nov 2023 at 1:54 AM
Okay then I understand! And that’s what I have been doing too. By the way do you know why mesh have been messed up before when I do an object that has more groups then group_0? Because I fixed it kinda before by using another version of blender but it doesn’t work now, can this be why my trees uv doesn’t work?

I do not know if the Blender version is an issue. I guess it could be possible. I use 2.80 for almost everything I do, and been a long, long time since I have used anything older. On rare occasion, I might use 2.93 for hair, or high poly mesh because it seems to handle it better.

You can always upload your project. Often easier to find a problem that way.

Instructor
#11 Old 19th Nov 2023 at 6:52 AM
I second that it's a good idea to share the files so we can see, either uploaded to a reply or with a link

Could you also confirm whether this happens when you save the mesh as a different format than .wso, such as .obj? That would narrow down whether this is specifically a TSRW issue or one with the mesh itself.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 19th Nov 2023 at 9:31 AM
I do not know if the Blender version is an issue. I guess it could be possible. I use 2.80 for almost everything I do, and been a long, long time since I have used anything older. On rare occasion, I might use 2.93 for hair, or high poly mesh because it seems to handle it better.

You can always upload your project. Often easier to find a problem that way.

here you have the file: https://www.mediafire.com/file/5rew...titled.obj/file
Forum Resident
#13 Old 19th Nov 2023 at 5:47 PM
here you have the file: https://www.mediafire.com/file/5rew...titled.obj/file

You only sent the object, not the entire project file, so it remains impossible to see where you went wrong. I can say that it "appears" to be a foreign mesh, going by the poly count? All I could try, was to make a tree using your mesh, in the way I described above, and it worked. I used an EP11 tree as donor mesh, since I do not know what you used as donor. Changes I made are to reduce the poly count of the tree trunk by 50% (9000+ faces for a TS3 tree is overkill), added backfaces to the leaves, replaced the part that was that separate part around the trunk base with the drop shadow from the EP11 donor and resized it a bit, and resized the UV to fit textures for the EP11 donor... again, as I do not have whatever you planned to use for textures. With the size of the tree as compared to the donor, I could have resized the trunk texture, but since this is just a test, I did not. OY!

I then exported the tree from TSRW as object and looked at it again in Blender. The UV had not changed.

Screenshots

Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 19th Nov 2023 at 6:45 PM
You only sent the object, not the entire project file, so it remains impossible to see where you went wrong. I can say that it "appears" to be a foreign mesh, going by the poly count? All I could try, was to make a tree using your mesh, in the way I described above, and it worked. I used an EP11 tree as donor mesh, since I do not know what you used as donor. Changes I made are to reduce the poly count of the tree trunk by 50% (9000+ faces for a TS3 tree is overkill), added backfaces to the leaves, replaced the part that was that separate part around the trunk base with the drop shadow from the EP11 donor and resized it a bit, and resized the UV to fit textures for the EP11 donor... again, as I do not have whatever you planned to use for textures. With the size of the tree as compared to the donor, I could have resized the trunk texture, but since this is just a test, I did not. OY!

I then exported the tree from TSRW as object and looked at it again in Blender. The UV had not changed.

ah okay sorry i thought you only wanted the obj but here is the whole project if you wanna look:https://www.mediafire.com/file/8j8d...y/tree.rar/file
if you could i would like to see if it works with the textures for you. and the seperated trunk is supposed to have a different bark that is why it was sepereated.
Instructor
#15 Old 19th Nov 2023 at 10:18 PM
The .wrk containing the broken mesh from TSRW would also be valuable.
Though in the meantime, it would be a good idea to follow along with @LadySmoks method in a new file and provide screenshots/files if you run into any more problems.

Generally speaking, most objects in the game only use one combined texture regardless of how many groups the mesh has.
You would put all of these textures together onto one image, one that is the same resolution as the object being used as a base. Then you would adjust the UV map to fit the pieces to the correct areas of the texture.

And a little bit of trivia: mesh parts using the Foliage shader do not actually need backfaces, as mirroring them is exactly what that shader does At least in the way they are implemented on EA plants, I'm not sure if TSRW supports the settings involved.
Forum Resident
#16 Old 19th Nov 2023 at 11:00 PM
ah okay sorry i thought you only wanted the obj but here is the whole project if you wanna look:https://www.mediafire.com/file/8j8d...y/tree.rar/file
if you could i would like to see if it works with the textures for you. and the seperated trunk is supposed to have a different bark that is why it was sepereated.

OK. As @CardinalSims wrote, it is really everything you have done that would help to find where you went wrong. Yes, I can more or less make this tree by using your mesh and textures, but that won't help you in the future if you just make the same mistake on another project, or possibly the same tool does something unexpected.

So, yes, I was able to make those textures work... although, the sizes are not ideal. TS3 generally does not use 2048 textures, and especially not for objects. However, I kept the sizes you sent for this. Once everything is good, with existing pieces, then I may do the resizing and see how THAT looks too.

You can see a new trunk texture, and pine needles...

A note: the shadow you see is more from the shadow mesh, than from drop shadow.

A minor thing I noticed is that you did not generate mipmaps on export. I use GIMP, and recently went over this on another thread. Those are needed for draw distances, so your tree (or anything) does not disappear as the camera pulls back.

I did not try changing too much still. To use that 2nd trunk texture, you need to do one of 2 things. Either, try to duplicate the trunk group in TSRW and export as a 4 group mesh, keep the drop shadow as I outlined previously, and then do a group swap with the extra trunk and the new group... OR try changing the shader in TSRW, and just use your 3 group mesh without having a drop shadow.

I honestly only dabble in object making, just as in hairs, but have had some success. I primarily am a dress maker... and FemmeBots.

@CardinalSims as I am not a total pro with objects, I may have learned something while doing this tree. I had kinda noticed this before, but didn't know enough for it to turn on a bulb above my head. This EP11 donor that I used, does not use the textures tab. I have seen this before. Instead, it has texture images in the mesh tab> materials, which I think are directly attached to the individual groups, similar to how some foreign games use multiple texture images that would seem to overlap on a TS3 UV map.

And I will see what happens if I remove the back faces, but that EP11 bamboo tree that I used as donor has backfaces. I doubt TSRW generated them.
Screenshots

Instructor
#17 Old 19th Nov 2023 at 11:50 PM
@LadySmoks to be fair, EA may have only utilized this effect a few times. I was quite surprised to see it to begin with, but it seems to be the precursor to the same technology used in TS4 (which can have any mesh render both sides by simply toggling a flag, also used mostly on 2D plants).

It can be seen on PlantSmallVine, one of the harvestable plant meshes. There is a value in the ShaderData called 'BackFaceDiffuseContribution', that's the part I'm unsure if TSRW will show in the Material tab. It's set to 0.5000 on the vine, just incase that's important to set to achieve the effect.
It's potentially a performance issue if there are objects that use this shader AND doubled their faces, as the engine will essentially be rendering it all twice. So I'm curious if the object you test will look okay, or if EA remembered to turn off the flip effect.
Forum Resident
#18 Old 20th Nov 2023 at 3:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CardinalSims
@LadySmoks to be fair, EA may have only utilized this effect a few times. I was quite surprised to see it to begin with, but it seems to be the precursor to the same technology used in TS4 (which can have any mesh render both sides by simply toggling a flag, also used mostly on 2D plants).

It can be seen on PlantSmallVine, one of the harvestable plant meshes. There is a value in the ShaderData called 'BackFaceDiffuseContribution', that's the part I'm unsure if TSRW will show in the Material tab. It's set to 0.5000 on the vine, just incase that's important to set to achieve the effect.
It's potentially a performance issue if there are objects that use this shader AND doubled their faces, as the engine will essentially be rendering it all twice. So I'm curious if the object you test will look okay, or if EA remembered to turn off the flip effect.

I honestly have not tested the tree in game. It has a ridiculously high poly count, but I have found that doesn't matter with certain things in TS3. Plumbots (which I have done a lot of work on), are a hybrid of Sim and object, in that they do not morph, and are similar to objects when working in TSRW. I made a couple that are 20,000 + vertices, which would blow up if a Sim garment.

My work with objects is that I will occasionally think of something I want, cannot find it, so try to make it... mostly statues (I made a few using full Sims (head to toe with hair) from Cmar's Sims Ripper Tool and posed them in Blender. Recently made a time portal that is just a rock, but still has all of the effects. I place it in the center of a Simhenge. ) Perfect for Dragon Valley!

I have never seen the shaders you mention, and will need to do some digging, as it sounds useful, especially if it works for other things. )))

Test Subject
Original Poster
#19 Old 20th Nov 2023 at 9:22 AM
OK. As @CardinalSims wrote, it is really everything you have done that would help to find where you went wrong. Yes, I can more or less make this tree by using your mesh and textures, but that won't help you in the future if you just make the same mistake on another project, or possibly the same tool does something unexpected.

So, yes, I was able to make those textures work... although, the sizes are not ideal. TS3 generally does not use 2048 textures, and especially not for objects. However, I kept the sizes you sent for this. Once everything is good, with existing pieces, then I may do the resizing and see how THAT looks too.

You can see a new trunk texture, and pine needles...

A note: the shadow you see is more from the shadow mesh, than from drop shadow.

A minor thing I noticed is that you did not generate mipmaps on export. I use GIMP, and recently went over this on another thread. Those are needed for draw distances, so your tree (or anything) does not disappear as the camera pulls back.

I did not try changing too much still. To use that 2nd trunk texture, you need to do one of 2 things. Either, try to duplicate the trunk group in TSRW and export as a 4 group mesh, keep the drop shadow as I outlined previously, and then do a group swap with the extra trunk and the new group... OR try changing the shader in TSRW, and just use your 3 group mesh without having a drop shadow.

I honestly only dabble in object making, just as in hairs, but have had some success. I primarily am a dress maker... and FemmeBots.

@CardinalSims as I am not a total pro with objects, I may have learned something while doing this tree. I had kinda noticed this before, but didn't know enough for it to turn on a bulb above my head. This EP11 donor that I used, does not use the textures tab. I have seen this before. Instead, it has texture images in the mesh tab> materials, which I think are directly attached to the individual groups, similar to how some foreign games use multiple texture images that would seem to overlap on a TS3 UV map.

And I will see what happens if I remove the back faces, but that EP11 bamboo tree that I used as donor has backfaces. I doubt TSRW generated them.

okay thanks and this is the wso file: https://www.mediafire.com/file/5zbm...a/test.wso/file if you wanna look at it?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#20 Old 20th Nov 2023 at 10:39 AM
hey! i fixed it! it was a setting in blender that caused the uv to be messed up. But thanks so much for the help!
Forum Resident
#21 Old 20th Nov 2023 at 2:57 PM
hey! i fixed it! it was a setting in blender that caused the uv to be messed up. But thanks so much for the help!

Great! For the benefit of others, which setting?

Test Subject
Original Poster
#22 Old 20th Nov 2023 at 7:25 PM
Great! For the benefit of others, which setting?

The settings that worked for me was export as obj groups and unselect write materials
Forum Resident
#23 Old 20th Nov 2023 at 10:02 PM
The settings that worked for me was export as obj groups and unselect write materials

AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry... Perhaps I should have asked you, how long you have used Blender for TS3. Yes, export as groups, was something I was told 4 or 5 years ago, and has been part of my set up for so long that I just do not even think about it any longer. Although, I am surprised that TSRW allowed it to import. Also, I believe "write materials" is more for matching textures to meshes for other game types. Not really sure. Again, I turned that off so long ago, and never think of such... although, I do not think that would hurt the UV, jjust create an extra materials file that is useless.

Glad you got it!

Test Subject
Original Poster
#24 Old 7th Mar 2024 at 12:29 PM
AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry... Perhaps I should have asked you, how long you have used Blender for TS3. Yes, export as groups, was something I was told 4 or 5 years ago, and has been part of my set up for so long that I just do not even think about it any longer. Although, I am surprised that TSRW allowed it to import. Also, I believe "write materials" is more for matching textures to meshes for other game types. Not really sure. Again, I turned that off so long ago, and never think of such... although, I do not think that would hurt the UV, jjust create an extra materials file that is useless.

Glad you got it!

Hello again!
i have a problem... i am making this tree and i have done everything right with the settings and everything but just this trees uv gets messed up... i don't know what to do... the third image is how the uv should look like and the first image is how it looks after importing it to tsrw
Screenshots
Forum Resident
#25 Old 7th Mar 2024 at 3:00 PM
Hello again!
i have a problem... i am making this tree and i have done everything right with the settings and everything but just this trees uv gets messed up... i don't know what to do... the third image is how the uv should look like and the first image is how it looks after importing it to tsrw

I don't understand why your UV map is not square, or 2 x1, which is 512 x 256 or 1024 x 512, which is sometimes used for objects.

Page 1 of 2