Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
#126 Old 16th Jul 2008 at 4:05 PM
Misuse of English grammar used to bother me a lot. But not anymore.

Teaching English and living in Japan has taught me to be much more relaxed about it - if I wasn't, I would have a hernia. Now I merely chuckle at what would have made me fume.

Trust me, there is nothing quite like regularly seeing mistakes that completely twist meanings. All the trains will tell you that "There are no exits" (Meaning "This door is not an exit" rather than "You will never leave this train! You are trapped! Mwah-ha-ha!") and learning to decipher what final year high school kids mean by "curry eyes" and other joyous phrases, or what movie they are talking about when they give a description like this "This scene is a great battle. I am going to kill two people seriously. reconcile. cooperate and fight against an enemy with two people." (grammar is not too bad there) or this "chihiro. sad to kamagi that is want to work stout heart. metamorphosis on back chihiro to recall habu is real name. many pig among to discover my parents."

Now, I know that its different for second language speakers. I know it is more difficult, but I find that by getting used to that as a general level of English in my life, I really don't notice native speakers' mistakes either.

One thing I will say though, when official boards (like the board of education) gets it wrong, it does bother me (or result in hysterics, depending how amusing the mistake is - an elevator labeled 'erebator' in an airport is just embarrassing). At least get a proofreader.

But to lighten the mood, brought to you by the Ministry of Education...

Advertisement
#127 Old 16th Jul 2008 at 7:51 PM
I dont know why you find it offensive. Its a forum not everyone checks their spelling. Who cares anyway? I cant stand someone telling me hey you mis-spelled a word or you did not put the hyphen where you should have. What are you my teacher?
#128 Old 16th Jul 2008 at 7:54 PM
^^ agreed, the rudest thing you could do is correct someone's grammar in my eyes.
But I do try to use correct grammar.
Forum Resident
#129 Old 16th Jul 2008 at 9:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BecciGirl13
^^ agreed, the rudest thing you could do is correct someone's grammar in my eyes.

I totally disagree with you. If I did something wrong, over and over again, I would be glad if someone pointed it out for me. Okay, if someone is complaining about some little thing, that can be annoying, but otherwise I see no harm in it.
Field Researcher
#130 Old 16th Jul 2008 at 9:33 PM
I probably wouldnt correct the grammer of a complete stranger but if someone close to me uses a word incorrectly or doesn't use correct grammer i'll let them know i just want to save them from doing it in front of someone else and sounding stupid. My dad would would also always tell me that people who cuss do it because they dont know any other words to express their feelings.
Top Secret Researcher
#131 Old 16th Jul 2008 at 9:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BecciGirl13
I mean... I don't think it's the rudest thing you could do. It's almost always not appropriate in social situations, but in some cases, like Avaluna's, for example, it's helpful to a non-native speaker to get some feedback.

Oh, and bluebonn, there's not a hyphen in the word "misspelled." :p

#132 Old 16th Jul 2008 at 10:12 PM
Generally, yes, it does bother me, to the point that I have to take a break from being online to figure out whether or not the humanity can still spell 'you' without picking a letter from the word and using that as substance.

That being said, I still don't think it's the best idea tell complete strangers that their exclamation points are flooding the internet, but I'm a lot less likely to do a favor for someone online if they can't even take the time to spell out 'please'.

Granted, I by no means have perfect grammar, and, as much as I would like to, I don't expect every internet user in the world to have it either. I'm just asking for you to try.

Then again, I'm only fourteen, so I guess I shouldn't be as hard headed on this as I am. :\

(By the way, I feel a few of my brain cells die every time someone says 'lol' in real-life conversations.)
Field Researcher
#133 Old 16th Jul 2008 at 10:36 PM
thats hilarious one of my co-workers said lol to me the other day.. i just made myself smile...if you think what is aid was funny then why not just laugh?
Page 6 of 6