Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#51 Old 1st Apr 2024 at 2:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Have you ever tried taking a picture of a set of wall papers for upload? No matter what you do you get odd shadows and lines on it. If you do it outside its too bright and inside is too dark, no matter how many windows you place. I will still take sims 2 lighting over the other games anyday, but when you make and try to showcase wallpaper you notice it.

Ahh yes, I remember that one too. During day inside and without lighting fixtures the walls tend to be darker then the objects. It doesn't happen that often or it's not always noticeable, but I get annoyed when the white walls are grey compared to the white furniture or white half tiled walls. It does look okay at night with artificial lighting. So annoying regardless. I still prefer it cause Sims 3 lighting is too dark inside, especially when you have a lot of objects or the room is too big for the natural light to reach every corner. Sims 4 lighting looks too dull inside.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#52 Old 1st Apr 2024 at 2:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
If you do it outside its too bright and inside is too dark, no matter how many windows you place.

I got that just today. Except the pictures I was trying to take were in RL. XD
Lab Assistant
#53 Old 1st Apr 2024 at 4:13 PM
I was 10 years old when Sims 4 came out, and having been a fan of Sims 2 ever since I could use the computer, I BEGGED my (freshly emmigrated, piss-poor) parents to buy me the game. I hated it after a few sessions, proceeded to play for another month, and then dropped it forever and ever. Even at 10 I felt extremely guilty about this, but I haven't looked back since, I don't even play computer games anymore, but Sims 2 was another Universe to me that I still think about
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#54 Old 1st Apr 2024 at 10:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
I got that just today. Except the pictures I was trying to take were in RL. XD

Lol.

Anyone know what the who? is at the end of the reaction list? I'm sure it wasn't there last time I posted. Or I am just very unobservant.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Theorist
#55 Old 1st Apr 2024 at 11:38 PM
@joandsarah77 Come join us over at Stupid Random Qs thread – who? displays what each person clicked on the agrees and disagrees, and we've just found out who (one of) the phantom disagreers is!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#56 Old 2nd Apr 2024 at 1:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by topp
@joandsarah77 Come join us over at Stupid Random Qs thread – who? displays what each person clicked on the agrees and disagrees, and we've just found out who (one of) the phantom disagreers is!

Ahh I see.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#57 Old 2nd Apr 2024 at 1:39 AM
I can't tell when it's intentional or not, I should read all the messages and English is not my first language, how lazy, laziness gets me more than gossip. xDD
Forum Resident
#58 Old 3rd Apr 2024 at 1:11 AM
I downloaded TS4, but have never launched it. Too attached to the old game lol.
Field Researcher
#59 Old 4th Apr 2024 at 2:48 PM
The first sims game I ever played was the sims 3. I "discovered" it on 2010 and I started to buy all the packs that were already released and then all the "new" ones to the point that today I own all the packs (EPs and SPs) and almost all the sims 3 store. I didn't know much about gaming or computers back then so the sims 3 did "fry" 2 laptops for me (one of them was sold to me as "gaming", lol!) but the obsession was real. A few months before the sims 4 got released, I read some on-line posts from people who called the "new" game, "sims 2.1." and I needed to know what the sims 2 was all about (because, weirdly enough, up to that point, I had never thought that since the game I loved soooo much was number "3", there should also have been a "sims 1" and a "sims 2" before that, lmao!!!). I watched youtube videos and let's plays of the sims 2 and a new obsession was born.
What I'm saying is that, I love both games the same and I was ready to, also, "expand" my love to the sims 4 too, especially because I had a desktop that could handle all of them without problems. I tried to like the sims 4, I really did and I bought so much content that didn't even interest me the same as the sims 3 and the sims 2 did but, for me, it was "the sims" so I "had to" love this game too. The initial release with all the missing content from the previous games was the "first strike" for me, then there were the "emotions" that failed to make me as "attached" to my sims as the previous games did, then there were the "cartoony graphics" with the constantly smiling sims (as if they had a failed face-lift!)... I, also, failed to understand the whole "multi-tasking" situation. I mean, my sims in the sims 2 and 3 were/still are, perfectly capable of having a family dinner and talk with each other (to the point of exhaustion especially in the sims 2, lol!) and no one said that it was some kind of "achievement" back then, in the sims 3 they can work out AND listen to music (they get a moodlet for that, especially if it's their favourite music) and again it was "normal sims behaviour"... In the sims 2 they can even leave their food cooking in the oven and go off to do something else which was annoying af and I got a hack to stop them from doing that and burn down the house and themselves, so what was really the "novelty" of "multi-tasking"??? It was already there but no one felt the need to brag for something "normal"... I guess, the new "achievement" was working out AND being able to watch TV at the same time because in sims 2 and 3, we'd put a TV in front of a treadmill but it was just "decoration" and they couldn't, actually, work out and watch at the same time! OK! I'll give them that but what's the point?
The huuuge breaking-point for me was that the sims in sims 4 would drop their queues for no reason at all and "go get some water"!!! WTF??? Isn't it the "fundamental" rule in all the sims games that the player is the "god" of the game??? I'm pretty sure it's the damn "multi-tasking" that totally breaks the game at this point because if the player tells a sim to do something specific, they are programmed to "multi-task" so they have to queue another action after the one they were "ordered" to do and, somehow, the "go get some water" (even without a "thirst" motive!!!) always wins! I was sooo pleasantly suprised the first time a sim in the sims 2 refused to do what I had "ordered" her to do because I wasn't checking her motives and her hunger was almost in the "red". It's not only that she refused to do what I told her to do, it's, also, the fact that she "glared" at me through the game camera (it was pretty scary, lol!) and a pop-up appeared saying "Can't you see that I'm not in the mood to do THAT?". I didn't know if I should feel guilty or laugh but the sims 2 is... that b*ch where the sim won't just sneak around and "defy" you just to do something totally stupid, they will put their foot down and call the player out for being a lame "game-god" and I respect that to no end, lmao!!! The sims in the sims 3 do that too without the scary "glaring at the camera" when the player neglects their needs but the same pop-up appears too.

And then there's EA... I know and understand all about "money-grabbing", "milking the game", "microtransactions", even the "infamous" sims 3 store (which I loved and payed a lot of money for it) because EA is a company that just want our money and they have no reason to love the sims (all the sims) the way we do. What I can't stand when it comes to the "sims 4-era" is the... "pettiness" that EA shows this time around. I was not playing the sims back in the sims 2 era so someone correct me if I'm wrong but the memories came with the base game, right? I know that they were introduced with the Generations EP in the sims 3 but they were, also, added in the base game with a patch so people who don't have the EP can have the memories system (which by the way I find lame in the sims 3 and I, always, disable it, lol!). When it comes to the sims 4, though, someone HAS to have the "Growing Together" EP to have the "milestones" (aka: memories)... In the sims 3, swimming in any body of water was introduced with the Seasons EP but it was, also, patched in the base game for people who didn't want the buy the EP. In the sims 4 you have to buy the "Island Living" EP for your sims to be able to swim! And the pettiest one of all: The patch before the sims 4 "Growing Together" EP introduced the infants in the game and a few new cribs for them but NO changing table, even though one of them that exists in the EP looks exactly like one of the swatches of a base game infants' crib! Just spare one changing table for the people who don't want to buy the EP, EA, but naaaah!!! They didn't... And this was the point when I stopped bothering about what happens with the sims 4 and I uninstalled the game, the end!

Also, a comment about what OP is saying about the people who play the sims 4, buy the content and then complain about its shortcomings. I don't think that this will ever change. There will always be people who will try to "threaten" EA with stop buying packs and playing the game but in reality they won't stop... For whatever reason they choose to continue this "toxic" relationship with the sims 4 and EA and they'll continue to do that, probably, until EA decides to end the game and... put all these people (and the poor sims) out of their misery! Do you remember the "My Wedding Stories" fiasco??? Youtube is full of videos where all the youtubers/"game-changers" who were given early access to the pack are, litterally, begging the people to NOT buy this pack, at least, on release! Pixelade has a video of a stream where he was on the verge of a panic attack because the pack wasn't working as it was supposed to do. Clare Siobhan (whom I consider one of the most gentle-spoken, family-friendly simmers) almost lost her voice, litteraly, begging (and screaming to) the sims to "sit down" during her video of the pack and in the end, she had to use the "Extreme Violence" mod, which was totally hilarious but, also, totally out-of-character for her (for everyone who hasn't watched this video and needs a good laugh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYO...areSiobh%C3%A1n ). It didn't make any difference, people still bought the pack on release and then they complained because it was broken! I mean, it wasn't just the youtubers saying it, it was, also, the fact that we could see with our own eyes how damn broken the pack was but, still, people felt that they had to buy it and complain about how broken it was... So, yeah, EA is going to continue to release broken/unfinished/lacking packs just because they can and there is no one to stop them!!!
Page 3 of 3