Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th May 2024 at 7:28 PM Last edited by emmyjulia : 7th May 2024 at 7:21 PM.
Default [SOLVED] Texture Transparency Issue
Hello!
So I've been on a hiatus for almost 2 years and just got back to creating some week ago. I'm converting this freezer from S4 and so far so good. But I have an issue with the transparency in the texture.
I can't seem to get it right. The object have two subsets but read from the same texture file.

When I set the settings like this
stdMatAlphaBlendMode: none

I get it like the picture 1 and 2.

The transparency of the glass doesn't show.

And when I set the value to "blend" I get the result of picture 3. Doesn't look good.
The texture file have a transparent part (png). A little bit confused and hope someone can help.

Thanks in regard!
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 5th May 2024 at 8:23 PM
If those are glass doors, they'll need to be a separate subset (recolorable or non-recolorable, up to you), using

stdMatAlphaBlendMode: Blend
stdMatAlphaTestEnabled: 0
and DXT5 (important!) for the texture if you use PNGs. DXT3 or less, or just "Import" won't work. DDS should work, too.

All the rest can (in a recolorable subset) be:

stdMatAlphaBlendMode: none
stdMatAlphaTestEnabled: 1
(DXT5 gives the best result here, too).

--

The first batch of settings work best for transparency (glass, etc.), but doesn't work very well for opaque items.
The second batch works best for cutouts (leaves, flowers, etc.), but also works fine for opaque items.

--

Also make sure you layer the objects properly. Examples/quick tutorial:
https://pforestsims.tumblr.com/post...-opacity-issues

Tutorial for adding subset (and making it recolorable if you want that)
https://modthesims.info/t/103379
https://hugelunatic.com/adding-recorable-subsets/ (addon, in case it's needed - mostly for help with missing lines and such)
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th May 2024 at 9:12 AM
Thank you simmer22!
And yes they are glass doors. I shall try to add a subset.
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 6th May 2024 at 9:30 AM Last edited by emmyjulia : 6th May 2024 at 9:41 AM.
So it kind of worked - the glass is transparent. But way to transparent, it doesn't show at all? Maybe I did something wrong but followed the tutorial step by step.
Included a new picture and the texture file. The 3rd picture is from milkshape and how I want it to look.
Screenshots
Field Researcher
#5 Old 6th May 2024 at 9:52 AM
The glass might need a special separate texture, one you can control the opacity for (when I make frosted glass recolors, for example, the opacity is, say, 85%, but if you don't want it *that* opaque, maybe 30%?)

Not sure what your recolorable subsets will be, but again, perhaps giving the glass its own separate texture apart from the textures for the rest of the fridge might be the way to go
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 6th May 2024 at 10:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Joselle
The glass might need a special separate texture, one you can control the opacity for (when I make frosted glass recolors, for example, the opacity is, say, 85%, but if you don't want it *that* opaque, maybe 30%?)

Not sure what your recolorable subsets will be, but again, perhaps giving the glass its own separate texture apart from the textures for the rest of the fridge might be the way to go

If you reed the previous posts you can see that is exactly what I did. I followed the tutorial simmer22 provided and added a separate subset with its own texture and changed the values.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 6th May 2024 at 5:26 PM
Did you use the DDS tools with DXT5 (or a DDS file with an alpha mask)?

Also make sure the glass door is at the bottom of the list in the GMDC in SimPE. If it's first, it may cause issues as shown in Pforestsim's link.

If you don't mind missing a few (possibly unnecessary) details, using a simple 128x128 (or smaller) texture with the proper color and with opacity set to somewhere around 20-40% should also do the trick (or use a DDS file with an alpha layer where the white is at an opacity around 20-40%). It's fewer/smaller textures, which is always better in a file.

If you can't figure it out, can you upload the file? That way it's easier to see if something needs changing.
Instructor
Original Poster
#8 Old 6th May 2024 at 7:03 PM
DDS Tool with DXT5 and the glass is at the bottom of the GMDC list.
File attached!
Attached files:
File Type: zip  LiceColdRetailFreezer-Copy.zip (167.2 KB, 1 downloads)
Mad Poster
#9 Old 7th May 2024 at 1:54 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 7th May 2024 at 4:39 PM.
The glass resources aren't properly standalone.
In the TXMT and TXTR for the "glass" ones, click "Fix TGI" (blue text, to the right) and "Commit".

You also need to rename the glass subset in the SHPE from "shelf" to "glass".

In the cMaterialDefinition tab (TXMT) in the Glass group, change "vase_blue" to "glass" in the Description field.

You also need to change the "stdMatAlphaTestEnabled" in the "Vase" group to 1, and set the "stdMatBaseTextureEnabled" back to "true". I think you've gotten those two mixed up.

If you want the glass subset to be recolorable, you can follow along with those steps of the tutorial (it needs a new MMAT and potentially some editing in the GMND). If not, it should work fine with those fixes applied.
Instructor
Original Poster
#10 Old 7th May 2024 at 9:26 AM
Thank you so much simmer22!
You made me a little more smarter. Looks wonderful in game now :D
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#11 Old 7th May 2024 at 4:41 PM