Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#126 Old 14th May 2023 at 7:37 PM Last edited by LUCPIX : 14th May 2023 at 8:52 PM.
...Furthermore, hey, Sims TBT 1998, even though it's Sunday. have a look at the handmade masterpieces, back when The Sims' visual language was yet to be solidified!: These skins did not make their way to the final releases of the game (despite how Fritz Frisbee prominently features the coolest pre-release snapshots you'll see), but we can perhaps agree that Gail's appearance was somehow used as the basis for the looks of that that would be mostly known as Betty Newbie's head?

PIAZZI ROCKS
(so do you)
[email protected]
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#127 Old 21st May 2023 at 10:55 PM
Did you know that a Prima Guide was to be released for SimsVille? There are still mentions of it on Amazon.

Here the link - 204 pages:
https://www.amazon.in/SimsVille-Pri...e/dp/0761532218

Here the link - 192 pages:
https://www.amazon.com/SimsVille-Pr...ps%2C183&sr=8-1

The seller is does not look like a fake. In both cases he only sells game guides.

The Sims 2 Beta Library
Russian Betahunters forum thread "The Sims 2 Development History" - without them, many secrets of the Sims 2 would not have been discovered and investigated.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#128 Old 4th Jun 2023 at 5:44 PM Last edited by LUCPIX : 4th Jun 2023 at 7:26 PM.
First time thread readers: This may be the nonsense-circus codifier for one of those safe and exhaustive How-The-Sims-Was-Made environments that you come across, every now and then! Every gaming fandom should probably have their particular version of these. Read it at your own risk.

For this month, we shamelessly self-feature a screen snapshot for some cool lighting tweaking that, by the hit of the "L" key, prominently exists in different debug builds for The Sims we know of... even Sims Online.

Believe it or not, it's 7AM down there \/

It also handles the brightness of items and Sims once the mouse cursor directly goes on them.

PIAZZI ROCKS
(so do you)
[email protected]
Field Researcher
#129 Old 12th Jun 2023 at 10:06 PM
The Sims' Edith Debug Build for QA testing has been released:

https://archive.org/details/edith-internal-release

Pre-Livin'Large Patch/Expansion.For QA and Dev Testing teams.

Compiled Jan 5th 2000, Internal Test Environment for QA

Installed as following:
C:\TheSims\Edith\Sims.exe

The Sims 2 Beta Library
Russian Betahunters forum thread "The Sims 2 Development History" - without them, many secrets of the Sims 2 would not have been discovered and investigated.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#130 Old 13th Jun 2023 at 6:04 PM
Seems kewl

PIAZZI ROCKS
(so do you)
[email protected]
Field Researcher
#131 Old 1st Jul 2023 at 6:49 PM
I think you're aware of this presentation, but I think it's better to post it here.

Presentation about Edith and Simantics by Jake Simpson on Game Developer Conference in 2005. He was the lead engineer on simulation and tools for The Sims 2.

The presentation covers the following topics:

Definition of the concept of an "object" in Sims 2.
The process of determining what an object will be.
Tools used in object creation, including the Edith Object/Scripting/Debugging Tool.
Discussion of alternative approaches to script creation.
Demonstration of the object creation process. (not saved)
Acknowledgments to the object engineering team in Sims 2.
Description of the core content of objects in Sims 2.
The process of object creation, including design requirements, technical meetings, scheduling of models, animations, textures, and sounds.
Tools and processes used in object creation.
Exploration of the Simantics language used for object script development.
Pros and cons of Edith/Simantics in the object creation process.
Discussion of scripting approaches.
Specifics of object construction, including hierarchical script construction and exporting/importing settings for external modification.
The importance of profiling and debugging in the object creation process.
Demonstration of object creation using the Sims 2 object pipeline. (not saved)

Additionally, the presentation includes mentions of developers, acknowledgments, and the opportunity for questions.

Slides from the presentation:
https://archive.org/details/pg-simp...age/n5/mode/2up

Audio recording of Jake Simpson's speech:
https://archive.org/details/GDC2005Simpson

Transcription of the audio recording - to read if it is difficult to perceive by ear, and to quickly find information from the speech. Only the answers to the questions turned out to be incomplete:
https://archive.org/details/gdc-200...le-people-notes

It's a shame that video demonstrations of the toolkit were not preserved.

And here is very interesting video about SimsVille. I learned a lot of information about game from here:
SimsVille: The Game That Almost Was, But Never Will Be
https://youtu.be/Wbv4iKO5eyU

The Sims 2 Beta Library
Field Researcher
#132 Old 2nd Jul 2023 at 1:39 PM Last edited by Liza : 2nd Jul 2023 at 2:06 PM.
Sorry to spam you, but I think this is a good video to upload to the @LUCPIX channel. It's not available anywhere else except on GDC Vault.

This is the conference at GDC 2011 AI Development Postmortems: Inside DARKSPORE and THE SIMS: MEDIEVAL:
https://www.gdcvault.com/play/10145...nside-DARKSPORE

I uploaded video on Archive.org for easier to download:
https://archive.org/details/gdc-201...e-sims-medieval

From sources [9] of The Genius AI Behind The Sims - Game Maker's Toolkit, Mark Brown video:
https://youtu.be/9gf2MT-IOsg

The Sims 2 Beta Library
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#133 Old 20th Aug 2023 at 4:34 PM Last edited by LUCPIX : 20th Aug 2023 at 6:05 PM.
Dear first-time thread sommelier: We proudly put our college grades in risk for the sake of understanding how the sims works. Wish you luck in case you fancy checking the whole thing out.

5 years of intermittent discussions, and we found in the TSO proto the solid existence of a scrapped Sims artefact that predates even the final TS1 build to some level (talking about 1999/1998)...

A broken and unfinished Duck.iff environmental object, or more or less a virtual pet. Unleashed was not the first build to consider that, apparently...

What makes it special despite broken and unfinished:

~> Has fun-but-lifeless-because-they-call-missing-resources petting, feeding and "being attacked" interactions --- woa;
~> It is IIRC the only Buy Mode object in the whole wide game that contains draw group ID's dedicated to Up/Down/Left/Rightward sprites (it faces diagonals). Since its sprites are straight rip offs of SimSafari's Secretary Bird (not a ducky) its N/E/S/W slots are dupes of their NW/SW/SE/NE equivalents... Fortunately we took advantage of this small feature to create our first diagonal furniture!
~> It predates the original TS1 enough to sport some quirks as holding sound ID's that reference .wav sound effects (remember, all short sound effects in the game are in .xa) and missing animations;
~> Even as a two-dimensional object, it contains a fun snapping mechanic that lets it move around freely, which is a fun and unique engine trick for its time, given the fact that the only objects that somehow take advantage of it in 1.0 are the carpools, which gives them the illusion of movement as they move away, in its own funny way. Obviously other objects as the cockroaches would later make a shy use of it;
~~> Also, they can mate and die! And get in formation as B's ladies as they attack you.
~> You'll see that some design docs list "Duck" as an object idea (+ a pond), w/o however going too deep on it;
~> IDK why you would, but you can download the duck here as a verbatim clone of the proto duck.

PIAZZI ROCKS
(so do you)
[email protected]
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#134 Old 30th Aug 2023 at 4:42 PM
Dear first-time thread reader: Benzi chibna looble bazebni gweb.

Using Edith made sorting the used lines of code from the scrapped ones easier, to the point you can get tremendously comprehensive, ridiculous, extra, makes you question your life decisions etc. If our accuracy is messy, good ol' time will tell~

Maxis apparently had many different plans in terms of how you could place objects onto the isometric world (Objects that "float"?! And that "sims can move"? ", some even hint an old (and working) concept of placing objects in eight rotations, like you do in Sims 3, 4 (or 2, with the right cheat!)! Below are lazy verbatim snapshots of the things yours truly has concluded post code dumpster diving.

PIAZZI ROCKS
(so do you)
[email protected]
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#135 Old 31st Aug 2023 at 7:14 PM
Oh, how 'bout the sheets with unused Sim Data? The second half of it is made out of raw data in text that, not referenced by any of their object's scripts, just give us a small hint of their original functionality. It's a funny mix of boring and cool (at least when it comes to writing wiki tables...):

PIAZZI ROCKS
(so do you)
[email protected]
Field Researcher
#136 Old 5th Sep 2023 at 6:03 AM
Just two hours ago LUCPIX uploaded another Steering Committee gameplay.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_zOwhOxrhA

I haven't fully watched, but the most notable thing for now is the neighbourhood, it looks very different to the full version.
-
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#137 Old 5th Sep 2023 at 9:51 PM
💙 💙 💙 💙 💙 💙 💙 💙 💙 💙

PIAZZI ROCKS
(so do you)
[email protected]
Field Researcher
#138 Old 19th Sep 2023 at 2:29 AM
Just saw the unused puddle, back then, when i heard that the sims developers were going to actually add pee puddles, but they looked gross so they scrapped it, i thought it would not look nasty, but now that i see that it used to have poop too... yeah, it was gross indeed.
Lab Assistant
#139 Old 20th Sep 2023 at 9:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rain671
Just saw the unused puddle, back then, when i heard that the sims developers were going to actually add pee puddles, but they looked gross so they scrapped it, i thought it would not look nasty, but now that i see that it used to have poop too... yeah, it was gross indeed.

Weird that as far as I remember from the '98 Steering Comittee video Don mentioned that motive failure wasn't implemented yet, but we already had the... Puddles.
Field Researcher
#140 Old 20th Sep 2023 at 10:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Burnziie
Weird that as far as I remember from the '98 Steering Comittee video Don mentioned that motive failure wasn't implemented yet, but we already had the... Puddles.

Is somewhat weird that he said that, because in Lucpix videos you can see some sims having energy failures (althought no bladder failures).
Test Subject
#141 Old 22nd Sep 2023 at 1:51 PM

I haven't fully watched, but the most notable thing for now is the neighbourhood, it looks very different to the full version.
-

Awesome! Does anyone know if the objects from that early build are available as downloads for the regular base game? I know Classicsims has a few.
#142 Old 7th Oct 2023 at 3:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by iknowme
Awesome! Does anyone know if the objects from that early build are available as downloads for the regular base game? I know Classicsims has a few.

I hate to burst your bubble about it but sadly NONE of the objects or skins you saw there ever made it to the released game. Only a very few did and I can point them out!

Ross's head, Mercedes's white shirt and green shorts including her head, Samantha was wiped out completely but her skin tone was reused when darker skin was first added much later in 1999 where Samantha's skin got deleted by the last minute, the green checkered shirt Ross used to wear look like it was modified into the blue one with long sleeves but they left his pants untouched but the original file used for that texture was already overwritten by a black shirt with green pants where Ross's name is still left there including the rest of his textures such as his head where both skin files shared the same Ross name.

As for the rest of the skins, they are all gone from the released version.

Next up are the objects! the objects from earlier versions of Sims are more fortunate to come as you wish for them to stay! Only a few barely end up in the released game but hidden so you normally can't see those objects in Buy Mode. However with the Transmogrifier we could put them back in the game as they were intended to be used! Simply find those unused sprites of the objects hidden in the game's folders and clone them back into their original intended purpose!

Heres a list of all the hidden unused objects from the prototypes!

Those are all beta the furniture you can use without any graphic issues.

This one lost its palette making it hard to see and unfitting to use but this is the least I can do by showing the alpha channel of it that shows us a better clear view of this chair! Perhaps editing the alpha channel with a art tool might help make it look better.

Just like the lost missing skins, the rest of the objects you saw from those videos no longer exist in the released game and the only way to get them is to obtain a prototype version of the game but the big question is when will we get a prototype version of this game? Just about any late build of the game should do and doesn't have to be exactly the infamous Steering Committee now that Im sure its criminally hoarded away forever but instead of giving up hope, why don't you guys find it and preserve it for us? WE NEED IT.

Thats the very least this poor community can do!

Please do not expect me to do any of the work by myself alone for all of you here. Just find a late 1999 demo of the game. Do it for us and the community!

Test Subject
#143 Old 7th Oct 2023 at 9:38 AM Last edited by iknowme : 7th Oct 2023 at 1:04 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by SimFanReturns2023
I hate to burst your bubble about it but sadly NONE of the objects or skins you saw there ever made it to the released game. Only a very few did and I can point them out!

Ross's head, Mercedes's white shirt and green shorts including her head, Samantha was wiped out completely but her skin tone was reused when darker skin was first added much later in 1999 where Samantha's skin got deleted by the last minute, the green checkered shirt Ross used to wear look like it was modified into the blue one with long sleeves but they left his pants untouched but the original file used for that texture was already overwritten by a black shirt with green pants where Ross's name is still left there including the rest of his textures such as his head where both skin files shared the same Ross name.

As for the rest of the skins, they are all gone from the released version.

Next up are the objects! the objects from earlier versions of Sims are more fortunate to come as you wish for them to stay! Only a few barely end up in the released game but hidden so you normally can't see those objects in Buy Mode. However with the Transmogrifier we could put them back in the game as they were intended to be used! Simply find those unused sprites of the objects hidden in the game's folders and clone them back into their original intended purpose!

Heres a list of all the hidden unused objects from the prototypes!

Those are all beta the furniture you can use without any graphic issues.

This one lost its palette making it hard to see and unfitting to use but this is the least I can do by showing the alpha channel of it that shows us a better clear view of this chair! Perhaps editing the alpha channel with a art tool might help make it look better.

Oh man, thanks alot! I really have to get into the Transmogrifier. So far I've only worked with Iff Pencil 2.

*deleted*
#144 Old 7th Oct 2023 at 11:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by iknowme
Oh man, thanks alot! I really have to get into the Transmogrifier. So far I've only worked with Iff Pencil 2.

Classicsims has restored two beta sets somehow and made them available for download:

- TV-Set and chair

- Endtabel #1, #2 and the dollhouse

Source: https://classicsims.weebly.com/buy-mode.html

Maybe I will be able to dig up some more. Maybe.

Those are fake objects taken from screenshots and are not leftovers from the released game those were removed and only exist in prototypes!

Plus I no longer downloading objects from sites because they are not official and I only preferred sticking to objects from Expansion Packs as they definitely save myself trouble from using Sims File Cop all the time when I download that might crash or cause errors in the game!
Test Subject
#145 Old 7th Oct 2023 at 1:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SimFanReturns2023
Those are fake objects taken from screenshots and are not leftovers from the released game those were removed and only exist in prototypes!

Plus I no longer downloading objects from sites because they are not official and I only preferred sticking to objects from Expansion Packs as they definitely save myself trouble from using Sims File Cop all the time when I download that might crash or cause errors in the game!

Oh no! I have edited the post because it was my mistake. The site owner did not claim to have restored the items from original files. I mistakenly assumed so.
Field Researcher
#146 Old 1st Nov 2023 at 7:37 PM

-

And The Sims Steering Committee version from 1998 available for research:

https://archive.org/details/the-sims-steering-committee

The Sims 2 Beta Library
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#147 Old 11th Nov 2023 at 4:01 PM
The o.g. archive.org upload is now (wisely) hiding the commentary section so, since I CBA repeating myself, here's our take on it, in a conveniently cortex-stimulating palette!

Code:
Reviewer: LUCPIX - favoritefavoritefavorite - November 8, 2023
Subject: Welcome to Happy Acres (except if you're Phil)!
Don Hopkins isn't a liar, here's my testament on it:

https://imgur.com/a/UB9BeF1

From a Sims enthusiast standpoint, it's of course nice that this leak reiterates the development of interest in the exciting rollercoaster that the crafting of The Sims is, along with the recent public availability of the debug, "Edith" build bundled with a final Sims release, showing alone how fucking bizarre this year has been for anyone who is into this sort of thing.

Everyone who is genuinely interested in the history of The Sims is fucking cool, I started off my journey with many, many people speaking to my ears that no-one cared about any of this. However I also wanted to add that (even though it probably couldn't be foreseen by the uploader, or maybe they didn't really care) this leak unfortunately couldn't be any more ill-timed, given that it contributed to nearly nothing but making Phil think that his CONTINUOUS regurgitation of LIES and DEATH/SUICIDE THREATS on me(, Mr. Hopkins and many other innocent people) in absolutely every social media paid off and gives him credit for the recent accomplishments in the community (in his disturbed mind, at least), and he is one of the key reasons why making the build available has been deliberately postponed: to justify and accommodate for the >4 year cycle of absolute respect and dedication that led us to being able to research and share, and not feel it's being done to grant one individual's wish, or give anyone else any sort of individual praise. That is not the point. Phil is an abusive, disgusting, toxic, harmfully obsessed individual with a lot of free-time in their hands, who is seriously in need of help. You don't want to use the gaming history community as a medium to expose and channel into your total lack of reason, we don't have anything to do with your sickness. You see, most of us are openhanded/communicative fellows, you'd be able to get and learn much more if you just... asked? Or at least say why it does matter so much to you. From my pov, most of the research is done in quite a reclusive fashion (by necessity: most of the coolest discoveries are result of these isolated and intensive sessions!), and friendly feedbacks are always welcome.

That's the problem with the (current) "researching" scene in the Sims fandom specifically, which still feels embryonic and based on ephemeral stunts. It's really hard to tell if said person really loves/cares/knows about what they are talking about or they are just using the hot topics in order to gain some sort of temporary social currency. The Sims is one of the finest gaming franchises around that lives to this day in its own way, and it deserves more respect than that. There's no actual explanation for reaching to anyone as though one has a pre-existing relationship with them and think it's their obligation to act normally to it. Look at what he's saying to the man who built the game they're so mad about... What is his fucking problem? Imagine being so pushed by games... specifically one that you can not be a winner or loser!

To anyone else... welcome to Happy Acres.

(Weird thing that a prototype of a sitcom-inspired Sim game whose protagonist calls Ross was uploaded here just one day before the death of Matthew Perry, who's well-known for having played a sitcom... starring a set of characters that includes one that is called Ross!)

We'll be alive to see this thread continue to grow with its fun little bits of exciting Sims did-you-knows in its own sweet pace .

You've read it here first.

Thanks for all the good wishes 'n' love.

PIAZZI ROCKS
(so do you)
[email protected]
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#148 Old 11th Nov 2023 at 4:24 PM
I'm sorry you had to go through that @LUCPIX Thanks for all you have shared with us!
Lab Assistant
#149 Old 13th Nov 2023 at 10:00 PM
Amazing to see this proto released, I'm genuinely in love with getting to see it in action.

And hmm, seems ` creates some red dots on all Sims?

Sims can also die from hunger, same hunger decay speed as the final, they kinda take some time to sit down, will respawn when icon is clicked on.
Test Subject
#150 Old 17th Nov 2023 at 12:05 PM
I LOVE learning about the sims beta, I wish we could also had the skins and meshes of these sims too, specifically of Sam, cause Mercedes and Ross are already in the game.
Also does anyone know if there are released houses of the houses we see in the pictures in this thread? I only know three were released, thanks for anyone reading and taking their time.
Page 6 of 7