Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Feb 2023 at 1:01 AM
Default Trying to create a new mesh with my texture on all 4 sides
So Im making this card box and I need the texture to go on all of the sides instead of just the top. does that mean i need to create a uv map for all sides? if so, could someone show me how? i have a few pictures for all the sides of the box. and i added the uv map i used for the texture.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 24th Feb 2023 at 3:08 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 24th Feb 2023 at 3:27 AM.
You can make a UV map for the entire mesh in one texture map. This one isn't properly UVmapped yet if there's just one side showing.

A UVmap for a 6-sided box can look something like the picture below - that way you can texture all the sides. If two sides can use the same texture, you can overlap them (take mirroring into account here, though) - it's useful if you need room for other items or want two sides to look identical. In most cases you want as few parts as possible, so you get smooth transitions in the edges, and so each item on the map is recognizable, and you also want them oriented properly (unless it's okay that something is upside down due to orientation, mirrored, or rotated, make sure you've fixed that. Figuring out where a texture is supposed to go when a random square is sideways and mirrored is not always easy).

The texture needs to be put together in an image editing program. It needs to follow the "power of 2" rule (start with 2, multiply up with 2 each time to get acceptable sizes. These work as square and rectangular sizes - most commonly used are 256, 512 and 1024, so 256x512 pixels, 1024x512 or 1024x1024 work fine, but 1056x312 would not work).

Milkshape is absolutely not the easiest place to UVmap from scratch (editing an already made texture map kinda works, but mapping is a pain - you have to split everything up and mark things square by square). There's a tool called UVmapper (Pro?) that I know some people use alongside it.

Personally I've always used other tools. Currently I do UVmapping (from scratch, anyway) in Blender - it has more tools, plus you can work directly on the mesh if you want to make seams for the UVs and such. It also has texturing tools (I don't use those much). Blender has a steep learning curve, but there are a lot of tutorials, especially on Youtube, and the beginner UVmapping tutorials are quite good.
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Feb 2023 at 4:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
You can make a UV map for the entire mesh in one texture map. This one isn't properly UVmapped yet if there's just one side showing.

A UVmap for a 6-sided box can look something like the picture below - that way you can texture all the sides. If two sides can use the same texture, you can overlap them (take mirroring into account here, though) - it's useful if you need room for other items or want two sides to look identical. In most cases you want as few parts as possible, so you get smooth transitions in the edges, and so each item on the map is recognizable, and you also want them oriented properly (unless it's okay that something is upside down due to orientation, mirrored, or rotated, make sure you've fixed that. Figuring out where a texture is supposed to go when a random square is sideways and mirrored is not always easy).

The texture needs to be put together in an image editing program. It needs to follow the "power of 2" rule (start with 2, multiply up with 2 each time to get acceptable sizes. These work as square and rectangular sizes - most commonly used are 256, 512 and 1024, so 256x512 pixels, 1024x512 or 1024x1024 work fine, but 1056x312 would not work).

Milkshape is absolutely not the easiest place to UVmap from scratch (editing an already made texture map kinda works, but mapping is a pain - you have to split everything up and mark things square by square). There's a tool called UVmapper (Pro?) that I know some people use alongside it.

Personally I've always used other tools. Currently I do UVmapping (from scratch, anyway) in Blender - it has more tools, plus you can work directly on the mesh if you want to make seams for the UVs and such. It also has texturing tools (I don't use those much). Blender has a steep learning curve, but there are a lot of tutorials, especially on Youtube, and the beginner UVmapping tutorials are quite good.

Thanks for the info. So I got my UV map using the UV Mapper. Does the size of the map matter when I then go to export the bmp into the image editor (im using Gimp)?

On GIMP i have the UV map going by 800x500. When I load my mesh into the game the texture comes out really blurry. Is there a way to fix that?

Also I have another question. When I made the mesh in blender I joined the two objects together, do i need to always do that whenever the mesh has more than one object? Will the UV stay the same if I do or don't? Is there any way to tell how big the mesh will be in the game without having to keep opening the game?

Sorry last question, when putting in the GUID in SimPE, it wouldn't let me register to make an account and in another thread it said to go to the german site to get a GUID but that site doesn't work so I just added +1 number to the end of GUID. Is it neccessary to have one or is there another process I can follow?
Mad Poster
#4 Old 26th Feb 2023 at 5:47 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 26th Feb 2023 at 6:05 PM.
It looks like the UVmap either didn't change properly, and/or it's not recognizing the size of the texture.

Like I said here, the size matters.

Quote: Originally posted by simmer22

800x500 would not work. You'll have to map the item so it fits a rectangle or square with the pixel sizes above. The dimensions need to be 1x1, 2x1 or 1x2

The full line of acceptable sizes is
2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048..... (double or half the size to get the next or previous in line). The ones I've bolded are the most commonly used, the others tend to be either too small or too large (avoid using larger texture sizes than 1024).

Examples:
1x1 = 512x512 or 1024x1024 px (square)
2x1 = 1024x512 or 512x256 px (flat rectangle)
1x2 = 512x1024 or 256x512 px (standing rectangle)

---

For GUIDs, look here:

https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=638392

Yes, it's necessary to change the GUID when you make a new custom object - if you don't, the item will try to override (and usually not in a good way) the item you cloned.