Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Feb 2009 at 7:40 PM Last edited by MysticRain : 3rd Mar 2009 at 10:16 AM.
Default One face suddenly invisible??
Ok now I think I should give up on meshing.
Every object I create has a glitch or something weird and now it even appears on an object which was working before.

This fireplace looked nice enough and I only adjusted some things (height etc) and now I have one invisible face and I don't know what I did wrong nor do I know how to fix it.

It was a request and I took it bc the shapes were simple and beeing a noob to this I wanted to start with something easy. I am desperate.

Can anybody help me?
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  MysticRain-Earthliving-Fireplace.rar (183.6 KB, 4 downloads) - View custom content
Description: the package file
File Type: rar  fireplace.rar (20.0 KB, 2 downloads) - View custom content
Description: .obj file

greets,
Mystic Rain

my sims 2 site: MysticRain Sims
Advertisement
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#2 Old 28th Feb 2009 at 12:22 AM
Hey

It's not that they're invisible, it's that they don't exist. I've exported to a few different projects, they all have a hole here. There are a few faces missing actually, have you still got your original mesh file?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Mar 2009 at 10:14 AM Last edited by MysticRain : 3rd Mar 2009 at 3:53 PM.
Yes I have -but how can they stop existing?! O.O
I didn't delete any of them and in wings they look perfectly normal...

I'll attach the mesh to my first post.

edit: I misunderstood you. Sadly i don't have a backup of the smaller mesh... This will teach me to never delete any of them *lol*

greets,
Mystic Rain

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 3rd Mar 2009 at 3:48 PM
I had this mesh working when I started with it. The problems occured just after making it a bit wider.
I was a noob when beginning with the fireplace but I didn't find it complicated as I had tried myself on a bed first and the coffeetable for this set which is only a cube that was tweaked a little to not look so hard-shaped.
The shapes aren't really difficult at all, mostly cubes...

greets,
Mystic Rain

Lab Assistant
#5 Old 10th Mar 2009 at 2:47 PM Last edited by leushy : 10th Mar 2009 at 3:40 PM. Reason: New info!
Hiya all, sorry to hijack this thread, but I'm having exactly the same problem so I thought I'dd add here instead of starting a new post
I'm using Wings3d, and for a long time I assumed that this problem was due to inverted normals. But as I can't find any 3d programs that allow individual faces to be flipped, I have never been able to correct it.
Like the OP I've had this problem with nearly every object I've created, and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

@MysticRain, have you tried remaking the mesh? Did it fix the issue, or is it still doing it? I have a feeling that the problem may be being caused by 'intuitive correction' within the 3d program itself. When you move things on the mesh, other pieces have to be automatically moved, too. So I'm thinking it's possible that the 3d program is trying - dumbly- to compensate for your tweaking. Not that this info really helps us much!

What I'm really after is a way to fix my meshes, as they take hours to create and the thought of redoing them exhausts me! lol

As there are already examples and screenies in this thread I won't immediately upload any unless asked, as this is the same problem.

[UPDATE}

I just remembered, it also throws up the error buggy mentioned.

[Yet another Update!]

I've just managed to fix one object with this problem, but I haven't tried it with other yet, so I'm not sure if this is a total fix-all solution. Here's what I did:

My table lamp had an entire row of polys missing from the stand. I selected all the 'missing' polys, right-clicked to bring up the menu, and chose 'extrude > normal'. Instead of dragging, I simply left-clicked. Now I right-clicked again, and chose 'collapse'. It made the polys triangular, but they now show up beautifully!

I'll repost if this doesn't work on my other objects, but if you don't hear from me again it's because this works on everything! xxx
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 11th Mar 2009 at 11:44 PM
I did redo my mesh bc it wasn't a very hard one so it took me only a short time... It did work, until now nothing weird happened to it...

I hope your solution works -then I know what to do if this ever happens again!

greets,
Mystic Rain

Retired Duck
retired moderator
#7 Old 12th Mar 2009 at 1:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by leushy
I selected all the 'missing' polys, right-clicked to bring up the menu, and chose 'extrude > normal'. Instead of dragging, I simply left-clicked. Now I right-clicked again, and chose 'collapse'. It made the polys triangular, but they now show up beautifully!

Alternatively, you can go into "face" mode, then select everything, right click, Tessellate, Triangulate.
Scholar
#8 Old 13th Mar 2009 at 1:37 AM
I just wanted to point out that the game is designed to use triangles (3 sided polygons) only - so if you are using a 3d program (like Wings) that allows using "quads" (4 sided polygons) you must either set your program to only make triangles, or else do as Echo suggested and convert it all to triangles when you are finished editing.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 13th Mar 2009 at 12:27 PM
Yes, I know, I always do that.

greets,
Mystic Rain

Lab Assistant
#10 Old 14th Mar 2009 at 11:50 AM
Ahh, I heard it wasn't mandatory, and my objects work fine as quads :-/
In what way does it affect the objects?

xxx
Scholar
#11 Old 15th Mar 2009 at 2:01 PM
The polys in your mesh that are Quads won't show up in the game although they will look fine in your 3d editor.

I think if you follow Echo's suggestion on all your meshes that have the missing face problem, they will be fixed.
Alchemist
#12 Old 15th Mar 2009 at 9:03 PM
Almost no games use anything except triangles, and certainly TS2. All of the 3D programs that allow polygons of more than three sides either triangulate the mesh automatically when exported, or have some other function you use to convert to triangles.

It's just the way it is.

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#13 Old 18th Mar 2009 at 7:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by leushy
But as I can't find any 3d programs that allow individual faces to be flipped,

Blender allows you to flip faces individually.

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]