Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Sep 2008 at 1:33 PM Last edited by SimArchitect : 5th Sep 2008 at 2:56 AM.
Default Disappearing Object Phenomena
Ok, i have a weird situation. I made a sundial and it took forever to figure out how to make the little thing that sticks up in the middle a different color thatn the sundial face. Well i figured i could just import the part as a seperate object and replace the ground shadow in the GMDC. Well, of course its gunna be all transparent and stuff so i changed "almost all the nessesary things to make it like the rest of the object. It turned out perfect when i tested it in the game, but there was one problem wrong. When the sundial is in the shade (inside) the little pointy thing shows just fine, but when I move it outside, the pointy thing disappears!

I have posted 2 pics of what im talking about and I hope that its an easy fix because im really sick of redoing this fricken thing.
Screenshots

~ ҉ SimArchitect ҉ ~
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 3rd Sep 2008 at 7:07 PM
If you had replaced the 'groundshadow' subset, you probably still have it in GMND, tsNoShadow block, with value 1? If yes, then it's probably part of the reason - change to 0. The thing is - shadows in outdoor are generated dynamically, so game needs to know which subsets should be used for it.
Though it's likely that this change is not enough - don't know what else, maybe Opacity in GMDC? Maybe you just need to rename the subset?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Sep 2008 at 9:11 PM
I did what you said, and it still dosent work. Should I rename it? If so; what do i need to rename (exact location)??

~ ҉ SimArchitect ҉ ~
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#4 Old 4th Sep 2008 at 12:29 AM
There are shadow-type properties in quite a few places, so you'd probably be better off returning the shadow subset to the way it was and adding the new subset the normal way.

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=103379
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 4th Sep 2008 at 12:40 AM Last edited by bluetexasbonnie : 4th Sep 2008 at 12:45 AM.
I'm sure this is a stupid question, but why can't you just map it to separate place on your texture and make that area a different color?

P.S. That pointy thing is called a gnomon.

Retired from the Sims world. Please continue to enjoy my creations. Thank you to everyone who helped -- by either giving me the tools and knowledge to create or by encouraging me & downloading my creations. The Sims community is the BEST!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 4th Sep 2008 at 2:47 AM
Ok, Echo i did that tutorial and the gnomon (pointy thing) just looks black in the gmdc

~ ҉ SimArchitect ҉ ~
Instructor
#7 Old 4th Sep 2008 at 3:08 AM
Bonnie is right,why don't you just add the pointy thing
to your texture map and give it a different colour.
You wouldn't have to fiddle with all the other files
and you wouldn't need a subset.

You can find more of my stuff here: http://www.blackpearlsims.com/downloads.php
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 4th Sep 2008 at 3:17 AM
I have tried doing that, but its more complicated than that. It seems like you can, but I want it to look quality and Its a learning experience.

~ ҉ SimArchitect ҉ ~
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 4th Sep 2008 at 3:29 AM
There is absolutely no reason it can't be 'quality'. You can make its portion of the map as large as you want with UV Mapper (and probably with most other mappers). It shouldn't need to be all that big to have quality suitable to its ultimate size.

Using UV mapper, I'd probably map the gnomon as a box with "gaps" & "Scale results" checked. (Separate front & back, unchecked.) Arrange its map & the other map so they fit on your texture nicely.

Retired from the Sims world. Please continue to enjoy my creations. Thank you to everyone who helped -- by either giving me the tools and knowledge to create or by encouraging me & downloading my creations. The Sims community is the BEST!
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#10 Old 4th Sep 2008 at 4:43 AM
If you followed the tutorial and it's not working, then it's best to post the current version of the object either here or on the tutorial thread so someone can check what's happened.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 4th Sep 2008 at 10:50 AM
Ok, Ill attach the object. See if you can figure out whats wrong??
Attached files:
File Type: rar  AA-Sundial.rar (961.8 KB, 4 downloads) - View custom content

~ ҉ SimArchitect ҉ ~
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#12 Old 4th Sep 2008 at 11:43 AM
Hokay then! Two things:
- You need to run a "fix integrity" after any time you change a filename in a package
- In the SHPE, you were pointing to a file ending in '-gnomon', but the file you meant was '_gnomon'. Underscore, not hyphen.

Fixed version attached.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  AA-Sundial.rar (962.7 KB, 5 downloads) - View custom content
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 5th Sep 2008 at 2:17 AM Last edited by SimArchitect : 5th Sep 2008 at 2:57 AM.
Thank you so much Echo! I will test it in the game and see how it looks.

THANKS! Its looks great

~ ҉ SimArchitect ҉ ~