Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Mar 2024 at 8:55 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default How do I... Run CC on Sims2 in my D Drive?
Hi all!

It seems the gson crashed my computer. I decided to install the Sims2 games on the D drive itself. Fine - no issue.

Custom content? Ugh. When the game initiates it makes new download folders in any C drive "documents" (users) folder that it can find. I have set up a documents folder on the D drive but Sims2 is ignoring that.

Looking for help on what I am doing wrong. I have tons of space on my D drive and really hope to be able to keep download files for my sims on there too.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 3rd Mar 2024 at 9:39 PM
Is the documents folder in your D drive an actual documents folder that your PC understands as such or just a folder named Documents? To properly set up a Documents folder in a different drive, you need to go through a few steps to configure it.

Here's Microsoft's guide: https://support.microsoft.com/en-au...cc-f1566fc3b10b

If you Google something about changing the location of the documents folder, you'll find different tutorials in different formats and for different versions of Windows. I even found one for Windows XP right here on MTS! (I'm siggesting this because I know that people find some tutorials easier than others based on their learning style and first language)

Keep in mind that doing this will make the Documents folder on your D drive the new default Documents folder, I think. That might be something you don't want. I believe there are ways to direct specific programs to use different folders (such as directing TS2 to a different Documents folder) but ot's more involved.

I hope this helps! Sorry if this is a confusing post, I'm very tired right now
Inventor
#3 Old 3rd Mar 2024 at 11:52 PM
Moving the My Documents shell folder is a bit involved and affects many applications that default to this folder for their stuff. If you want to keep it simple, you can create a file system link inside the documents directory that points to the D drive. There are at least 2 tools for doing this. It works on the file system level with any program. You can combine many hard disks into one master directory this way.

1. Sysinternals Junction.

It needs to be used from the command line. It is simple and older versions before the Microsoft takeover compatible with old PCs.

junction "c:\Users\Administrator\Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Downloads" "d:\path\to\my\custom\content\Downloads"

Obviously you need to name the paths as you want them. If you navigate to "The Sims 2", you don't need to type the full path of the first param.

2. Link Shell Extension

This is a graphical plugin for Explorer. It is compatible with Windows Seven and whatever else the author says. You create a custom content directory on your D drive and name it Downloads. Get rid of the Downloads in the sims directory. Then you drag your new folder over into your Sims directory using the right mouse button. Choose the option: Drop Here... -> Junction
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#4 Old 4th Mar 2024 at 12:14 AM
I'm pretty sure you can now move Documents via Windows Explorer by just right-clicking on the folder and changing the location in the location tab in Windows 10.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#5 Old 4th Mar 2024 at 10:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by noprobllama
I even found one for Windows XP right here on MTS!

Win XP was the new boy in town when Sims 2 was young.

Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
I'm pretty sure you can now move Documents via Windows Explorer by just right-clicking on the folder and changing the location in the location tab in Windows 10.

Yes! Here's a picture:
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 4th Mar 2024 at 8:46 PM
Thank you all for your help! I was able to redirect Documents to the D drive. I have the game up and running with custom content. However it is not letting me change the screen resolution. I have made the changes in config. I think I am missing something. Taking a break and will have to look up more info on that this evening.

I sincerely appreciate all of your help!
Test Subject
#7 Old 6th Mar 2024 at 12:16 PM Last edited by JaseBauer : 20th Mar 2024 at 8:12 AM.
Thank you for the information. Sometimes I feel like a pain when doing my assignments. But I have found the solution if you also feel that writing papers is a struggle. DoMyPaper https://domypaper.com/ can help you! Their pro writers can handle any assignment, no matter how hard. I've used them for essays, research, and more, and I always liked the results.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 7th Mar 2024 at 4:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Win XP was the new boy in town when Sims 2 was young.

Yes! Here's a picture:

Got it - Thank you very much!