Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Feb 2024 at 6:38 AM
Default Mod to make all objects quarter tile placeable?
I know there's a mod to make all objects shiftable, but as far as I can find, there's no comparable mod to make all objects compatible with quarter tile placement. It's always been a peeve of mine when CC objects leave out this functionality; would such a mod even be possible?
Advertisement
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#2 Old 11th Feb 2024 at 10:09 AM
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 11th Feb 2024 at 3:16 PM Last edited by Acrylonitrile : 11th Feb 2024 at 11:21 PM.
To be clear, you're saying the only option is to edit every item to add quarter tile compatibility myself? I was already aware of that option—but just like you used to have to manually make items shiftable by editing them in SimPE until Lamare released the Shiftable Everything mod, I was wondering if there wasn't someone somewhere that had done the same but with the quarter tile feature instead of shiftability, or if it would even be possible for someone to do such a thing.

That utility does look very useful, but I'm not really interested in tracking down and adding quarter tile placement to everything that's missing it. At that point I'll just stick to using off-grid placement and doing my best to line things up.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 11th Feb 2024 at 3:54 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 11th Feb 2024 at 5:26 PM.
You have to edit the OBJD for the objects to add quartertile, which is separate for every object - I'm not entirely sure you can make a mod that fixes this for every object without actually editing the OBJD for every object (EAxis objects missing them - maybe, although it would require OBJD edits. All CC there ever was? No) - so you're kind of at a loss there anyway.

Making stuff shiftable edits a different resource (BHAV), which is a resource that can allow modding on a more global scale, game-wise.

Mini tutorial, just in case: https://modthesims.info/t/433922 ("decimal" value "35" works too)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 11th Feb 2024 at 5:08 PM
Okay, that's what I was trying to figure out. Thanks.
Inventor
#6 Old 11th Feb 2024 at 6:07 PM
What is an example of an object that doesn't move a quarter tile in Mansion?

If I enter the command: "setquartertileplacement on" and press Ctrl-F, then everything snaps to quarter except floor rugs and nothing I can see enables them to not snap to full tile, aside from making them not rugs.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 11th Feb 2024 at 6:14 PM
I think the EA items, or at least most of them, were updated by EA with the M&G pack (or AL, not sure - it's possible they updated with AL and just added the function in M&G).

A lot of (older) CC isn't quartertile enabled, though - mostly stuff made before M&G/AL, or without them installed/enabled, so SimPE doesn't pick up that function from the original cloned objects.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 11th Feb 2024 at 6:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jonasn
What is an example of an object that doesn't move a quarter tile in Mansion?

If I enter the command: "setquartertileplacement on" and press Ctrl-F, then everything snaps to quarter except floor rugs and nothing I can see enables them to not snap to full tile, aside from making them not rugs.

Many CC items that were improperly cloned/created are not quarter tile placeable. It doesn't seem to be a matter of age; if the creator overlooked/skipped something in the process, even objects made post-M&G can have this problem—for example, I often see it with 4t2 conversions.

Rugs are absolutely quarter tile placeable with the off-grid rug mod, and properly-made CC rugs also share this trait.
Inventor
#9 Old 11th Feb 2024 at 6:41 PM
Show me a small simple older CC that fits the criteria? Maybe I'm misunderstanding and the op wants to move them without the cheat?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 11th Feb 2024 at 6:51 PM
Show me a small simple older CC that fits the criteria? Maybe I'm misunderstanding and the op wants to move them without the cheat?

No, my point is that sometimes, even when you have the quarter tile placement cheat enabled, there are some CC items that will only ever snap to the full grid, as if you did not have the cheat enabled at all. This is because, as has been pointed out, there is a flag in the OBJD that determines whether or not an object is compatible with such placement.

For example, I downloaded the Eco Lifestyle Hepcat Coffee Table converted by Tony-Veis. Unfortunately, it was not able to be placed on quarter tiles, even with the cheat enabled. So in order to place it anywhere other than on a full grid tile, you'd need to use boolProp snapObjectsToGrid false and do your best to line it up. Littlelittlesimmies then uploaded a fixed version of this table, wherein they enabled it for quarter tile placement. However, there are still many CC objects that have this oversight—and, as mentioned, I especially often see it with 4t2 conversions for some reason.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 11th Feb 2024 at 7:58 PM
^ Could be all kinds of reasons.
- Old object made before AL/M&G (or before the creator got them).
- Some people don't have AL/M&G, and the function simply won't be added with the object because of that (SimPE reads whatever files it has access to)
- Some people will disable packs in SimPE to make the items BG compatible (or close to, anyway).
- There could be some bugs between SimPE and certain EA items that resets this setting to a pre-M&G number.
- Any of the above, creator doesn't know about the function, and doesn't edit it.
- Creator doesn't know about the function, and manually sets the price to 0 (or something else than what works for quartertile) because they think it affects ingame pricing.

I had a whole bunch of old objects I made between 2008 and 2015-ish that didn't have quartertile or shift. Took me a while to figure out how to add it, let alone to go back and edit everything (I'm still unsure if all my uploads have fixed files ). Anyway - while they are some fairly easy edits, it still requires the know-how, and it's extremely tedious work to go through objects one by one (I have since gone through most of my Downloads folder and done the same, plus a bunch of other edits... it's taken ages and I'm not even done).
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 11th Feb 2024 at 9:17 PM
Yeah, I'm familiar with editing objects in SimPE, but at the end of the day I'm far too lazy to bother fixing this problem... Guess I'll just stick with my usual workarounds of using OMSPs and off-grid placement lol.
Inventor
#13 Old 11th Feb 2024 at 9:28 PM
You can write to Object Definition and the new values will stay in effect until the next restart.

It seems that this not a flags field as I first suspected. Any value other than 1 works for single tile object. And any value other than 0 or 1 works for multi-tile.

This is now a feature of Charles Object Editor. Please test.

Under Movement Flags you can do it on one object type, or all normal objects currently in world under All... -> Permanently Shiftable.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#14 Old 12th Feb 2024 at 10:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Acrylonitrile
Yeah, I'm familiar with editing objects in SimPE, but at the end of the day I'm far too lazy to bother fixing this problem... Guess I'll just stick with my usual workarounds of using OMSPs and off-grid placement lol.

I use my usual workaround of never even knowing about quarter tile placement lol.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 12th Feb 2024 at 3:04 PM
^ I've known it exists pretty much since around I installed M&G, but I still tend to forget about its existence while decorating XD

I always found it was such a bother to have yet another Alias to keep track of, but after I found a working always-on cheat for it (where I just need to enter Ctrl+F to toggle on and off), I'm using it more and more. It's very handy for wall placement, since SnapOff doesn't snap items to walls, but QuarterTile does. Large furniture up against walls, too.
Inventor
#16 Old 12th Feb 2024 at 4:15 PM
Well, I don't have it in FreeTime, so I don't use it. It also doesn't seem to be particularly useful for where I thought I could apply it: to pull furniture out of wall intersection. Like when you have the tall bookshelf or a counter, and one of its sides is missing inside a wall. A 1/4 tile movement pulls the object out too much. If it is too much off tile, the person interacting with it is visibly off (maybe it is adjusted in Mansion, I've not looked closely).

There are some trees that are 4 tiles I would maybe use this snap to line then up with 1 tile trees. But it's something I can survive without.

"Shifting" doesn't seem to work with windows.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 12th Feb 2024 at 4:28 PM Last edited by Bulbizarre : 12th Feb 2024 at 4:39 PM.
Another alternative, though not perfect, is to put the item on an OMSP which is quarter-tile shiftable.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#18 Old 12th Feb 2024 at 4:47 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 12th Feb 2024 at 5:05 PM.
Well, I don't have it in FreeTime, so I don't use it.
"Shifting" doesn't seem to work with windows.

Quartertile is a M&G cheat, while shifting is an AL feature.

The reason shifting doesn't work with windows (assuming you mean ingame windows and not the OS), is that it actually does kind of work with the windows, but not with the wall cutouts, so it just ends up looking weird (there was an explanation in the "shift everything" mod).

I don't think shifting was meant to be used with windows, or they would've gone back and fixed the wall cutouts (it took them a few years just to figure it out for TS4).

I haven't found that quartertile (or Snapobject) causes any significant issues with animations, at least not in most cases. The animations seem to follow the object placement. The times I'll see issues is usually with CC, when the item hasn't been placed properly according to where the animations will end up, or is too small/big.

I like it for moving items a bit off the grid while having them lined up. It gives a more accurate placement than SnapObject, and isn't so fiddly. It's also very handy together with Shifting, and if I'm placing deco along counters or tables, I don't need to constantly turn it on and off to place deco elements (placing the deco, then putting the counter back). SnapObjects and tables/counters/chairs is a nightmare, but Quartertile works in most cases.
Inventor
#19 Old 12th Feb 2024 at 5:01 PM
I noticed that, and I search for object type 4 and don't put the flag on windows. Does anybody want to use this on a simless build mode? I could ask before making a person.

Rugs can't be edited on the fly, changing their type, as they get messed up. I never use rugs in the normal game because they appear darker than the rest of the items. Converted to type 4, they have the same brightness as other objects. That is good even if they don't have a volume. I wonder why they have a special type, in contrast to other walkoverable objects like puddles or flowers.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 12th Feb 2024 at 5:07 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 12th Feb 2024 at 7:40 PM.
There's this rug mod: https://modthesims.info/d/399650/ru...g-off-grid.html (with an explanation for how to fix custom ones/recolors). Essentially there's an issue with all/most of the rugs. Some of them actually have quite a lot of volume.

Pretty sure the rug brightness (for rugs fixed that^ way) can be fixed in the TXMT (not just the setting shown in the linked tutorial, but other settings as well, if it ends up too bright).
Inventor
#21 Old 12th Feb 2024 at 6:17 PM
The light becomes correct automatically once they are type 4. But if I convert them while they are placed on the lot, their impression in the floor remains where it was, as the now normal object is moved away, and the game doesn't like if I try to move them with Find Location For out of world to avoid that. They might need to be converted in OBJd.

I noticed that sometimes when I'm gifted a rug of recall after a Date (regular unmodified rug 13), it is invisible. Maybe it doesn't respond well to being faded in.

The quarter snap might be useful in some cases. With snap off, it's hard to avoid overlap between adjacent objects and z-fighting.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#22 Old 13th Feb 2024 at 11:38 AM