Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Aug 2023 at 5:54 AM
Default Question/Issue about vB code
I've noticed something not terribly important, but a little irritating and sometimes confusing.

When replying to someone and breaking down their quote into several responses, only the first quote is in italics. Any subsequent quotes are normal text, not italics. This is an irritating inconsistency, and occasionally a confusing one.

I'll use this post itself as an example:

Quote: Originally posted by ScaryRob
When replying to someone and breaking down their quote into several responses, only the first quote is in italics.

The above quote is in italics, apparently because the forum software automatically specifies in the vB code that it is from ScaryRob.
Here is a subsequent quote:

Quote:
Any subsequent quotes are normal text, not italics. This is an irritating inconsistency.

The above quote is in normal text, not in italics, because the quote was not automatically generated by the forum software, but was inserted by me and I did not specify in the vB code that it is from ScaryRob, which seems to be the reason that the text was not italicized.

Long story short, for the sake of consistency I think all text inside vB code quotes should be automatically italicized - or none should be, as long as there is consistency of either one or the other. Respondents shouldn't have to constantly specify the name of the person being quoted, nor should they have to insert the "I" vB code for italics. Either make all quoted text italics, or none.
Advertisement
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#2 Old 29th Aug 2023 at 4:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ScaryRob
Stuff about vbCode

Good catch. It's a bit weird, but it's been like that for 14+ years, so.... :P

Quote:
More stuff....

Probably about time it was standardised.....

Edit: Also made it so that spoilers and regular quotes share the same layout and font size, rather than being different for both.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.