Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Nov 2023 at 6:16 AM
Default Removing LIghtning Effects?
Does anyone know if it's at all possible to remove the flashing from the lightning? It's something I've been thinking about for a long time as many games now have the ability to remove flashing effects. I have epilepsy and the lightning flashes gives me headaches and I heard you'd have to edit the effects package and that it'd be extremely complicated to do.

I love The Sims 2 wholeheartedly but the headaches are awful and I want to find a way (if it is possible) to remove the flashing.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 22nd Nov 2023 at 4:29 AM
What I would do is extract the effects text list then change all the lightning lines to another effect (don't just delete it, or it'll throw errors). Or try making a default replacement texture for the lightning that's just black, so it'll be invsible. A few people are working on reverse engineering effects, but I don't think anyone has actually edited an effects file yet.
Inventor
#3 Old 24th Nov 2023 at 6:58 AM
I know nothing about effects format, but maybe there is a different way that specifically changes lightning without creating other conflicts. I would look at the object "Sheet Lightning" (0x7FB95B4F) in "FX/SFX", and skip the lines that play an effect while still doing the sound.
Instructor
#4 Old 18th Mar 2024 at 6:54 PM
Squinge and Mog Hughson both made mods that disabled lightning. I'm not sure if they still work, but looking at how they functioned might be helpful.