Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Aug 2005 at 3:41 AM
Default Is it possible to create a lot with live in npcs ~ would love an apartment building..
... only not in university. I thought maybe this could be done using a dorm lot ~ but I would like it in the main game instead of university. Anyone know how to do this or if it is possible?

Thanks!!!
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 6th Aug 2005 at 4:13 AM
Maybe in an add-on
I love that idea
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 6th Aug 2005 at 4:38 AM
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 6th Aug 2005 at 4:35 AM
I've made quite a few apartment buildings but housed sims that I made. I'm sure if you used Merolas mirror (to control npcs on lots) and made the bedroom doors the university dorm doors, you could make it happen.

hm......*thinks i'll try it*
Field Researcher
#5 Old 6th Aug 2005 at 4:51 AM Last edited by momicajack : 6th Aug 2005 at 5:58 AM.
Have you tried using the "changelotzoning" code and change it from "residential" to "dorm"? If you did this, used the dorm doors for the apartment doors, maybe that would lure the npc's to move in. Then, once they are moved in, change it back to residential. I used the "changelotzoning community" cheat in order to create a store/lounge in my regular neighborhood so that I could first create it as a residence and have all the type things you use to build and supply a house with, then changed the zone to community and added cash registers and community specific stuff. Perhaps changing it to a dorm would allow you to make what you want to happen. Of course, this is just a theory, as I haven't actually tried it yet, but now that I've thought of it, I think I will test it out.

Oh yeah, and once you have used the code you have to back out from the lot into the neighborhood view, then re-enter the lot before the zoning change takes effect. Then do the same when changing it back to residential.

UPDATE: Oh, well. I tried, but it didn't work! Of course the changelotzoning cheat did turn it into a dorm lot (meaning in build mode you had less options available - some of the building tools were blocked out like they do when you're in a dorm in University), but when I created 1 sim to move in and hopefully prompt more sims to come in like they do at the dorms, no one else came to move in. I had even used the dorm doors as the front doors, but it just didn't work. Unless someone out there has a hack that will make it work, I don't think you can get NPC sims to freely move in of their own will.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 6th Aug 2005 at 6:26 AM
Numinor made something like this in: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthre...=salvation+army
which you could change to residential with changeLotZoning, THEN make it into a NEW package which will appear in your Packaged Lots folder.
Inventor
#7 Old 6th Aug 2005 at 1:51 PM
All of these tips are from University. changeLotZoning, dorms, dorm doors, all from Uni.

You could do what Lumpy said and use Merols's mirror.
Test Subject
#8 Old 6th Aug 2005 at 2:29 PM
I think the best solution would be to request someone create new objects that attatch NPCs to them, much like a cash register produces a sales clerk. You could have, for instance, a hacked dishwasher that causes the Maid to be there, a hacked rose bush that calls for the Gradener, and so forth. I have no idea how these hacks are done, but it seems to me that is the kind of hack you need. Any hackers out there interested in taking up the challenge?
The ModFather
retired moderator
#9 Old 6th Aug 2005 at 3:05 PM
The objects that RevSimister suggests already exist.

Christianlov has created a wonderful all-in-one NPC (UNI version / Base-game version).

And Danny66 has created the DMA NPC sets, that come in two flavors: Work NPCs and WhooHoo NPCs.

All these NPCs are "attached to specific objects that, when placed in the lot (preferably a residential one), will spawn the desired NPC.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 6th Aug 2005 at 4:28 PM
Thanks all for your wonderful ideas!! I am going to try some new things today ~ and I'll let you know how they work ou!

I did create an apartment using the dmas ~ but does anyone think there is a way to move townies in? That is what I was hoping to do ~

I'm going to play with zoning and Merolas mirror to see if I can get some townies moved in ~ my sims want to live in a building where the other sims don't hang around all day!!!

LOTS of great ideas ~ thanks all!!!

~ Mpepe

PS ~ I downloaded the apartment block yesterday and I LOVE it!!
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 6th Aug 2005 at 5:15 PM
Well, my idea wasn't set with Uni. I did this in a normal town.

The other person, try using the Store front door (i've noticed that this causes sims to just walk into your house at times because it reacts like a store front door) and maybe then use the dorm doors. ?

Maybe this will get added in with another ep ?
Test Subject
#12 Old 6th Aug 2005 at 5:33 PM Last edited by Violet : 6th Aug 2005 at 5:42 PM.
if you have the university expansion installed,build your apartment(in a normal town,not college/uni), then use the MYNE doors for each family on the entry wall.but you have to use the myne door for each person that is teen and up (wont work for kid or toddler).there is no need for codes or hacks or anything special.

Note: now if only someone would make a glass myne door, i would be happy :D
Inventor
#13 Old 6th Aug 2005 at 7:24 PM
Simlogical.com has a beta apartment system.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 6th Aug 2005 at 11:28 PM
UPDATE TIME! Well ~ Here's the latest. I used Melora's mind mirror to force 2 npc's to claim myne doors in my apartment ~ the first left at 2pm ~ won't sleep in his "room". The second was a teen ~ as soon as she claimed her room it became invivible inside ~ that didn't happen with the first guy ~ and she got mad and "ran away from home" ~ Hmmm... so far not much luck.

Anyone have any ideas on how to make an npc sleep in the "apartment" without inviting them every night?

Thanks for your thoughts!!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 7th Aug 2005 at 2:36 AM
Well, with a combination of Merola's mind mirror and dorm doors I have managed to get npcs living in my apartment ~ it took some doing. Sometimes after you move the sims in they stay ~ sometimes they stay a day or two then leave ~ sometimes they leave at 2am... it varies greatly ~ but with multiple invitations, I have 4 npcs living in my 4 apartment building. 2 npcs are sharing an apartment ~ separate entrances of course ~ . And ~ guess I didn't mention it ~ but the lot has been changed to a dorm lot ~ even though it is in Veronaville. Hope that helps anyone else who is interested in trying it!

PS ~ I tried the Simlogical.com has a beta apartment system ~ doesn't force the npcs to move in ~ works great with controlled sims though. J

ALSO ~ APOLOGIES for the typo in the above post Merola.

~ Mpepe