Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Oct 2023 at 2:32 PM
Default Help with GUIDs
I haven't made a new object in ages, just Bodyshop stuff. Back when the GUID database was still available I signed up for a block, but the site isn't accessible now, so I can't check it. I'd like to keep using the block. IIRC there are 250 GUIDs per block and there's no way I went through all of those.

The objects I have with GUIDs from the block are:

Neapolitan Cake

0x0083792D
0x0083792C

Pavlova

0x0083792A
0x0083792B

Scones

0x00837934
0x00837935

Cat Toy Floor

0x0083792F

Cat Toy Wall

0x0083792E

The problem is that I get confused with the hexadecimal stuff. Which number is the last one I used and what should the next two numbers be for a new object? I also seem to be missing some numbers in the middle?

Thanks!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 24th Oct 2023 at 2:46 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 24th Oct 2023 at 2:57 PM.
Read my post here: https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=638392

It's got an explanation on how the GUID blocks work, plus a notepad document you can use to keep track of them, with a guide on how to fill it in using your block.

Your guid block (0x and the first 6 numbers) is 0x008379, so you fill in the two numbers at the end in the way shown.

I use the same document to keep track of mine, and to copy/pasta the GUIDs from. I'll normally change the text for the OBJD, so I'll copy/paste that text as the identifier (plus, this also helps with multi-guid items).
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Oct 2023 at 3:19 PM
I had actually just come from that thread when I got confused. XD

Now that you've explained that the first 6 numbers of my block are always going to be the same, then my only question is why does your document start at 00, whereas the first GUID suffix I have is 2A? Is it possible to get assigned partway through a block?
Mad Poster
#4 Old 24th Oct 2023 at 3:48 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 24th Oct 2023 at 4:07 PM.
If you at some point registered a GUID block at the old SimPE site, it started at 00 and ended at FF.

If the GUID block was from the SimPE site, it's likely you used some of the GUID block on other items, so when you checked a random item, that was the number you found.

If you randomized a GUID in some way, you would've gotten 8 numbers, and if you started out with that number, then the two last ones would also have been random. Unless the numbers before 2A have already been used for something (that you have in your game), you can use the numbers before 2A, too.

You can start out with a randomized GUID (and you can use all-randomized GUIDs too), but if you want to use the randomized number as a GUID block, you use the first 6 digits as the block number, and the two last numbers as the 00-FF series.

39 in Hex is 57, so if you assigned about that number of GUIDs (maybe add in a few failed objects and such if you were a beginner at the time, and if you made multi-GUID items those take up 2-4++ items on the list), then it might make more sense.

You count 0 to 9 then A to F, in that order, so 00 to 0F, then 10 to 1F, 20 to 2F, and so on. Takes some getting used to, but once you get used to the addon of letters it's not too hard, at least the counting.

I've filled in all the numbers in the document, so it's a bit easier to see it there.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 24th Oct 2023 at 5:09 PM
I registered at the old SimPE site. There's no way I used 57 GUIDs that I then didn't upload though. The numbers I gave were all my uploads. I'm baffled. I wish Wayback Machine would let you access the site.

I wonder if there's a way to look up GUIDs in SimPE.

Thanks for the information.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 24th Oct 2023 at 6:18 PM
Looks like some of the items (food?) had double GUIDs, so that could probably cut the number down a bit.

The GUIDs also jump from 2F to 34, so there's between 1 and 4 objects unaccounted for between 2A and 35, depending on how many GUIDs used for each.

Some mods or CAS-related items need randomized hex codes and/or GUIDs to work, so maybe you generated some for a different project, but can't remember. Maybe you used some while going through tutorials. There could be all sorts of explanations, especially if you don't remember.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 25th Oct 2023 at 5:37 PM
I managed to do a GUID search in SimPE and there were several objects that I had forgotten required GUIDs and that I hadn't uploaded. So, only a couple of missing numbers and I can only presume that I messed those up somehow. I'll start from the end of the numbers I used then.

Thanks again.

Now I just have to figure out why SimPE found so many duplicates.