Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Jun 2006 at 8:15 AM
Default What games have you played that you DIDN'T like?
We have a thread for the best games you've played, how about one for the worst?

One's I disliked:

Final Fantasy VII-It's pretty good, but everyone treats it like the greatest game ever. Why!?

Goldeneye: Rogue Agent-Most mindless, stupid shooter EVER. And it's impossible to die.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance-besmirches the Final Fantasy title. Absolutely HORRID. Plot? Who needs plot, we have endless, repetitive battles for no apparent reason! The law system is interesting, but makes no logical sense. The best example of a game that is all gameplay (boring gameplay at that).

MS Saga: A New Dawn-When I bought a game with the Mobile Suit title, I assumed I'd be getting something more than a long, boring, unrealistic kiddie RPG. Nothing can match the seriousness of the colony drops and massive battles of the One Year War, but I expected more than 'OMG! SumB0ddE N00k333d tEh 0rFaN3gGg3!!111111' Not just the story, but also the fact that they have voices for like, three scenes randomly inserted into the game, and are mute the rest of the time.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 24th Jun 2006 at 11:16 AM
I think there's a few.....

Bloodrayne: The control system was too awkward, and 90% of the time she was too slow to react to what was being pressed. She just looked like she shouldn't be moving the way she does half the time, which bugged me. Also the gameplay wasn't anything amazing, and even if I did bother to complete it, I would never have touched it again. It was way too easy and way too boring to keep my interest.

Silent Hill (any): Resident evil with different enemies & no guns....Don't really need to say any more.

Forbidden Siren: It should have been amazing, but it wasn't. I don't know about anyone else, but playing the exact senario, in the exact same place with miltiple people just doesn't make a game good enough. I didn't see the point in any of it.....And as for the "storyline", well I didn't see much of that in game. Also it was supposed to be scary (I think).....It just wasn't.....It was like playing one level of Clocktower over and over again.

I might come back to this thread and add more later.....

visit me at Sims 2 Artists
Moderator of Camera Models
retired moderator
#3 Old 24th Jun 2006 at 12:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Crimson Phantom
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance-besmirches the Final Fantasy title. Absolutely HORRID. Plot? Who needs plot,

This is something people raise over and over again as a criticism. I'll never understand it. I love a good story in a game but story is not gameplay. Story is just the icing on the cake. If you are playing a game for its story alone then there is something wrong with the game.

we have endless, repetitive battles for no apparent reason! The law system is interesting, but makes no logical sense. The best example of a game that is all gameplay (boring gameplay at that).

The law system makes plenty of sense as a game mechanic, even if it doesn't make much sense in terms of the narrative.

At its heart FTA provides some of the best turn based strategy gameplay of this sort out there. Of course that is excluding Nippon Ichi's brilliant PS2 games - Disgaea, Phantom Brave, Makai Kingdoms, etc.

Anyway I've played more bad games than I'd care to mention. Thankfully I'm paid for my trouble in that area.

Top of my list of bad games are:

****: A really horrid CG adventure title back in 1995. Laughable appearances from Grace Jones and Dennis Hopper.

Alexander: GSC Gameworld should be shot for this laughable RTS based on the film by Oliver Stone.

Dragons Lair III: Quote stolen from my original review - "The original Dragon's Lair would have a case for slander against this pile of excrement."

Spartan: Oh god. Make it stop.

Konung II: Please... if you think that making the main character so weak that the first two hours of gameplay is spent running every time you enter battle is a fantastic idea for an RPG... find a new line of work other than game design. For the sake of the poor journos who are likely to be the only people to ever play your poop in the first place.

Heist: The fact the name is an anagram for shite is not lost on me.

I could go on... be thankful gamers. For the most part you never experiences really bad games. You can usually spot them a mile away and avoid them like the bargain bin refuse they will soon become.

Just remember that when you call a game bad you are generally comparing it against a status quo of above average quality. There is generally worse out there than you could imagine.

*** Games Journalist with the magazines PC Powerplay and Hyper ***

And guys don't say a game is 'addicting'. That is a horrible massacre of the English language. The word is 'addictive'. Thank you. :)
Scholar
#4 Old 25th Jun 2006 at 12:16 AM
I have a few too.....

Tunnel B1: I thought This game will rock but, this game sucks nono wait.....This game Blows!!!!! the contols and all I can say is this game is too repetitive I mean repetitive I took it back Asap I didn't want to finish the whole!!!

All the Gundam saga Games!! :they really need to stop making these games none of them are good!!! when I rented those games it just felt boring to me I will never play any of the gundam games ever again.

Rival Turf (Snes): I thought this will be a Great alternative to SOR and Final fight series but this game is just terrible it just a rip off nothing else plus the fight sequences and enemy death is just strange. IMO it looks half-A$$ to me and that makes it a non-fun game.On top of that I thought game art box was cool but now they look like a bunch of posers! :giggles:

I will try to add more.......
#5 Old 25th Jun 2006 at 12:39 AM
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance-besmirches the Final Fantasy title. Absolutely HORRID. Plot? Who needs plot, we have endless, repetitive battles for no apparent reason! The law system is interesting, but makes no logical sense. The best example of a game that is all gameplay (boring gameplay at that).

How could you say that the gameplay is boring. This game was simply one of the best games that I have played for the GBA, and just like ElPresidente said, who plays a game just for the story? Also you said that the plot was just fighting endless , repetitive battles, well it's not, maybe if you paid a little more attention to the good things in the plot rather that paying attention to things you didn't like about it, then you would see that there was an actual story to the game and a good one at that.

Ohh... I love to rant

Ok so here I go with the games that I hate

Sprung: I don't even know why they cosider this a game! All you do is talk, and talk, and talk. The whole game. The reason that I own this game is because my stupid sister bought it for me for my birthday. I don't think anyone can say anything good about this game because it is the worst DS game ever. Unless you can name a worse one .

I can't think of any other ones right now. I'm sure I'll be back with more
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 25th Jun 2006 at 3:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DmanX013
How could you say that the gameplay is boring.

Final Fantasy's gameplay is boring! It's just Pokemon in 3d.....Every 2 steps and random battle......It always has been and always will be a turn based game, which if you're 10 is good gameplay....But I guess thats what passes for gameplay, pretty turn based stuff.

visit me at Sims 2 Artists
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 25th Jun 2006 at 3:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Yagami-Sama
Final Fantasy's gameplay is boring! It's just Pokemon in 3d.....Every 2 steps and random battle......It always has been and always will be a turn based game, which if you're 10 is good gameplay....But I guess thats what passes for gameplay, pretty turn based stuff.

Wow, I am surprised at how much y'all hate final fantasy! They're probably the best games I have played. They're inspirational and very well done. I have lost track of how many times I have played them

Any of the splinter cell and halo games have been an incredible dissapointment to me. Controls and gameplay in general are horrid.
#8 Old 25th Jun 2006 at 3:34 AM

Just because you don't like turn based games doesn't mean that you can call all of the people that do like them 10, and actually FFT is nothing like Pokemon. You are talking bad about a game that you have never even played before. I can't take people that don't even play a game say bad stuff about it. Not everything that you read online is true. People think differently about games so don't go on ranting about something that you don't know a thing about.

Gwenn, I agree with you about halo, but only Halo 2 was a disapointment to me. I thought Halo 1 was an awesome FPS.
retired moderator
#9 Old 25th Jun 2006 at 4:09 AM

Some of the most complex gameplay in the world of gaming is turn based.

Civilization, Heroes of Might and Magic, Disgaea and so on.

In fact real time is a far more 'immature' style of gameplay since it relies on immediacy instead of stimulating the cerebellum.

Anyway you criticisms were made about the standard Final Fantasy games, not Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. There are no random battles in advance, it is a totally seperate genre to the more traditional Final Fantasy titles.

For the record I do feel the Final Fantasy games are a touch over-rated.

For instance I enjoyed Shin Megami Tensei: Lucifer's Call much more than I enjoyed Final Fantasy X.

I did love VII and - to a lesser extent - VIII.

Quote: Originally posted by Gwenn83
Any of the splinter cell and halo games have been an incredible dissapointment to me. Controls and gameplay in general are horrid.

Care to ellaborate? Gameplay is largely a subjective thing but the controls being horrid?

They are standard dual analogue control set ups, there is no movement lag... controls are excellent. I'm curious how you could suggest otherwise.

Judging by the comments in this thread it appears very few of you have played a truly bad game. Halo 2 sucked? I don't care how much you didn't like it, it is better than something like Daikatana (for example). And to be fair Daikatana is just an average game, there are much worse titles out there.

And guys don't say a game is 'addicting'. That is a horrible massacre of the English language. The word is 'addictive'. Thank you. :)
#10 Old 25th Jun 2006 at 4:35 AM
I'm sorry I really didn't mean to say it like that. I meant that it was not nearly as good as Halo 1 was. Sorry if you dont agree with that. It is just my opinion.
retired moderator
#11 Old 25th Jun 2006 at 5:13 AM
Nothing wrong with opinions... I just like to find out why people have them.

Don't worry, Halo 2 didn't thrill me the way Halo did either. I still really enjoyed it but not as much.

Test Subject
#12 Old 25th Jun 2006 at 5:22 AM
Stronghold 2 was a huge disappointment for me. I looked forward to that game for a very long time and when it came time to play it it was terrible. the camera controls were way to touchy, the game was to laggy (offline mind you), the free build was virtually non existant, you could no longer set up your own situations in maps you built, and the new build tools were not explained in the manuel and there was no pop up bubble to explain what they did.

i tried to dowload the patch and couldn't so i just uninstalled.

" If I cannot Find a way I will make a way."

So I say bring it on :))
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 25th Jun 2006 at 7:25 AM
Mall Tycoon Prior to buying this piece of crap, I got addicted to the rollarcoaster tycoon games so I assumed that this game would be equally as good. Was I ever wrong! It was just a pointless game, I can't believe they made a sequel to ti. This is the worst game I have ever played, and I couldn't even return it because the store would only offer a exchange for the same game so I still have it somewhere.
Home Alone 2 this is for snes, I didn't like it because I couldn't get past the one part when the guy throws knives at you. It was way too hard (I recently played it again and I still can't go any further )
retired moderator
#14 Old 25th Jun 2006 at 8:02 AM
NOW WE ARE TALKING!

Real crap games. Good work Gummi although you have my condolences for having to play both. :P

#15 Old 25th Jun 2006 at 9:08 AM
Okay, had a couple of small heart attacks here.... (Silent Hill, somebody doesn't like Silent Hill...*crys* I loved them all) second heart attack is: "Final Fantasy's gameplay is boring"... ACK *dies* someone needs to revive me

Anyway, crap games are things like "Superman". I unfortunately tried playing this piece of s**t way back in 1998 (?) for the N64. Holy crap that was a crap game. I mean if we are gonna talk games we didn't like HA that was one of them!! Yuck!

I also tired a South Park game. That sucked too ha ha.
Field Researcher
#16 Old 25th Jun 2006 at 9:25 AM
The South Park game on N64? Yeah, it was a bit of a letdown.

Twitter | Tumblr | YouTube

28/11/07
Scholar
#17 Old 25th Jun 2006 at 10:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by GummiBears
Mall Tycoon Prior to buying this piece of crap, I got addicted to the rollarcoaster tycoon games so I assumed that this game would be equally as good. Was I ever wrong! It was just a pointless game, I can't believe they made a sequel to ti. This is the worst game I have ever played, and I couldn't even return it because the store would only offer a exchange for the same game so I still have it somewhere.
Home Alone 2 this is for snes, I didn't like it because I couldn't get past the one part when the guy throws knives at you. It was way too hard (I recently played it again and I still can't go any further )
Ooooh GummiBears You hit the nail on the head I totally forgot that game on my list. I know Home alone Is a terrible game! :mean:

oh I also forgot what on the my list......

Ballz :I thought It was a pool game but it turn out to be a Very Irritating crappy fighting game. It was so terrible I did not take it back I did something so special I through it in the trash!! It was not worth playing this game by means. This is a disgrace to video game ever, this game should've never been made EVER!!!!!
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 25th Jun 2006 at 6:02 PM
Yea you should of saw me at walmart arguing with the lady on why she should give me my money back for Mall Tycoon. I told her it was the worst game ever and she goes "Well I can give you a new copy of it, but thats all I'm going to do" Yet they will take back clothes that people wear for periods of time? I think they knew the game sucked lol *Sigh*
Another game to add would be Mario Paint Yea another snes game... I haven't had a problem with any of the newer games I have bought. Mario Paint is just fun for 5 minutes and then it becomes boring
Field Researcher
#19 Old 26th Jun 2006 at 3:28 PM
Hmm, right now I don't like any games with real time combat, but then, when one hand isn't working turn-based is your friend.

When my hand was working I didn't like:
D&D Online - probably because I play too much TT, I couldn't get through the initial quest with my halfing rogue, the character type I'd just been playing in Eberron since the setting came out
Lupin the 3rd: Treasure of the Sorcerer King - I could not get the hang of the controls enough to even complete the tutorial
Vampire Hunter D - again, I could not get the hang of the controls

Basically, I want a game that I can learn the basic controls fast, within a couple minutes, time being needed to refine technique is fine. If I can't get playing in a few minutes I get bored and walk away.

"Segregate the sinful sexes..." "Wait, how many sexes are there?" "Two." "It's not enough I say, go out and order some more."
#20 Old 26th Jun 2006 at 5:12 PM
Games I didn't like:

The Urbz Sims in the City (Xbox) I was just NOT impressed by the game. I was sick of all the loading screens!!! I also didn't like how hard it was to move around....
-So sorry sim lovers!

Quake ll Quake 3 had MUCH better graphics and everything....

*Remember those old arcade games? (Atari)*
Haunted House I never really did like the fact of having these kind of games, but I liked some of them, I remember most of them because of my parents. But Haunted House was my least favorite. LOL. :dumbfunny
-Did anybody remember that one?! ha ha ha ha

I can't think of any more games because I liked all of those games like Final Fantasy, I just think of the dumb ones nobody remembers!
Field Researcher
#21 Old 26th Jun 2006 at 5:37 PM
Haunted House is the one where you're a pair of eyeballs searching for the pieces of the chalice and the critters spot you if you turn on your flashlight, right? I like that game. Don't like the Indiana Jones Atari game gma has though, or Airlock. (Forgot about those games 'cause I haven't been to gma's cabin in a couple years.)

"Segregate the sinful sexes..." "Wait, how many sexes are there?" "Two." "It's not enough I say, go out and order some more."
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 27th Jun 2006 at 9:56 PM
So far I can only think on Tales of Phantasia for Game Boy Avance... I love the original for SNES, but this new one is an insult to it :mob :soul:

98% of teenagers believe stupid statistics. If you're one of the 2% who doesn't, copy & paste this in your siggy.
Theorist
#23 Old 28th Jun 2006 at 8:42 PM
I've got a few I didn't like...

Sonic Labyrinth (Game Gear): Oh man, a Sonic game without his speed? Eggman stole Sonic's shoes? That's so laughable! This game would have been even more unbearable if the spin dash wasn't there!

Mat Hoffman's Pro BMX 2 (Gamecube version): Ugh, this game was so frustrating! It tried to be as good as Tony Hawk, but failed. Sure there were a few nice levels like Chicago and Portland, but that did not save this game from being bad. It look too long to get back up when you fell. There were also a little too many goals that involved collecting stuff.

4x4 Evo 2( Gamecube version): Another difficult game, but this one was so frustrating I never beat it. If you made one mistake in a race, well you can kiss your chances of victory goodbye. There was one level with a moving washing machine! What in the net? There was another level with a mountain that was just too hard to climb.

I can't think of any others, those games were pretty terrible, haven't played them in ages.
Scholar
#24 Old 28th Jun 2006 at 10:12 PM
Metal Gear Solid

(Any of them)

While I do appreciate that it's a pioneer of 3D console gaming (though not PC....3D PC gamers were around way before PS1's MGS1), and of stealth action, I have a few gripes: the writing is awful, the stories are laughable, and the controls are rather daunting. And frankly, when MGS1 came out, there were better 3D stealth/action titles on PC.

World of Warcraft

I just pray that it doesn't mean Blizzard is abandoning their proud RTS series that this thing was based on. Perhaps they'll release a World of Starcraft, and return Warcraft to its origins....but that's just me.

Note, I'm not saying these are crap games, I'm just saying that they're games I dislike but many other people liked.

"We're on sob day two of Operation Weeping-Bald-Eagle-Liberty-Never-Forget-Freedom-Watch sniff no word yet sob on our missing patriot Glenn Beck sob as alleged-President Hussein Obama shows his explicit support sniff for his fellow communists by ruling out the nuclear option."
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 1st Jul 2006 at 5:01 AM
I only have 2 words.

Big Rigs

I am a pretty open minded when it comes to gaming, I certainly have my hate list but only this game comes to mind at the moment.

If you are wondering what big rigs is heres a pretty review.
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/driving/...trr/review.html

And I finish my post with another 2 words

You're Winner!

Page 1 of 6