Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Apr 2024 at 11:35 AM
Default Anyone Know WCIF make-up for the chin crease line /mentolabial crease fold sulcus?
Hey,
I never thought a simple line could make or break a sim but something so subtle matters. Some skins come with it built in, but this skin does not. Choosing a different skin is not an option. I found a full-face makeup that had what I was looking for, but it also covered his brows
See the photos attached below to see what I am talking about. May anyone link me any suggestions for male or female make-up that addresses contouring or highlighting that crease?

I searched high and low, please help Any suggestions welcome.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 21st Apr 2024 at 7:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by FREEDOM_55
Hey,
I never thought a simple line could make or break a sim but something so subtle matters. Some skins come with it built in, but this skin does not. Choosing a different skin is not an option. I found a full-face makeup that had what I was looking for, but it also covered his brows
See the photos attached below to see what I am talking about. May anyone link me any suggestions for male or female make-up that addresses contouring or highlighting that crease?

I searched high and low, please help Any suggestions welcome.

Would something like this work, or have you already seen this makeup?

https://hellohow-low.tumblr.com/pos...hink-itll-makes
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st Apr 2024 at 9:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by windermeresimblr
Would something like this work, or have you already seen this makeup?

https://hellohow-low.tumblr.com/pos...hink-itll-makes

Helpful, but I am already using this under lip shadow. I need the crease just underneath. Thanks for quick response, suggestion, and for looking
Instructor
#4 Old 22nd Apr 2024 at 4:20 AM
If there is an existing makeup that does what you want that simply has unwanted parts it would probably be easiest to just edit it (if nobody knows of an existing one).

Makeups are just sets of textures- very beginner friendly to modify in GIMP or Photoshop. It can be as straightforward as painting black over the alpha channel of the parts you want to hide.
Same goes for applying makeups directly onto a custom skin, if you'd prefer to make a unique skinblend for him.

Scribe of tutorials. Oracle of questions at NRaas. Blog staller at thecardinalsims. Feel free to @ me for input on any TS3/TS4 modding questions.
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 22nd Apr 2024 at 8:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CardinalSims
If there is an existing makeup that does what you want that simply has unwanted parts it would probably be easiest to just edit it (if nobody knows of an existing one).

Makeups are just sets of textures- very beginner friendly to modify in GIMP or Photoshop. It can be as straightforward as painting black over the alpha channel of the parts you want to hide.
Same goes for applying makeups directly onto a custom skin, if you'd prefer to make a unique skinblend for him.

You're right. I think I might have to do this. Is it really this simple? or is there more detailed tutorials you could link me?
Instructor
#6 Old 22nd Apr 2024 at 9:09 AM
Not sure you'll get one as big as your red line on your sim - who is magnificent, btw

TIFA have some smaller details on their blush sets, this one comes to mind, which can be found here under Face Features : https://mega.nz/folder/NmpzVRSC#_0Jn-YtPc8UfOJDDtbGTVQ

problem is you get all the features, so you might have to edit it yourself, which is not too hard, even I did it once

I'll check out a couple of other files, Mochi might have something....
Screenshots
Instructor
#7 Old 22nd Apr 2024 at 9:38 AM
I don't have a pic of this one, but it might work, file attached

you might also like to look through these, if you haven't already : https://simfileshare.net/folder/33404/
Attached files:
File Type: zip  mochi029-make-highlight01.zip (551.3 KB, 2 downloads)
Instructor
#8 Old 23rd Apr 2024 at 4:48 AM
Is it really this simple? or is there more detailed tutorials you could link me?

I don't mind describing the process, as most tutorials are probably for making makeup from scratch which is far more than needed here.
You may want to check the original creator's TOU before getting started, just to make sure it's alright to include with the sim.

All you need is S3OC (to clone the CC, assuming you wouldn't want the edit to overwrite the original) and S3PE to export/import the texture.

The general gist would be
  • Open the CC in S3OC (from File > Open Package), select the CASP, click 'Clone or Fix' on the right-hand panel. The name and categories can also be adjusted there. Check 'Create clone package' and 'Renumber/rename internally' on the left-hand panel, then click Start. Name + save the new package.
  • Open the new package in S3PE. The _IMG resources are the textures- clicking on them will show a preview. If it's a recolourable makeup, you'll be looking for the texture that's greyscale/white. Right-click then Export > To file.
  • GIMP is a free image editor that can open .dds files, if you don't have access to Photoshop.
    Uncheck 'Load mipmaps' when you open the .dds. You can ignore most of the interface- all you need is the rectangle select tool from the top left (or the eraser, if you want to make a smaller or more careful change) and the Channels tab in the bottom right.
  • With just the Alpha channel selected, you can drag the selection box over the part you want to hide and press Delete. Or use the eraser on the area. GIMP already shows the 'literal' appearance of the image, but in the thumbnail for the channel you can see why it works that way- black = invisible, white = visible, with shades of grey between being transparency.
    File > Export when you're done, click on the original and overwrite. The export options are pretty important, so here's a screenshot of what they should be set to:
  • In S3PE, right click on the same texture and this time select Replace. Choose the edited image and hopefully the preview will now show it looking the way you wanted. Save and install like any other mod.

If you need a screenshot of any of the steps or the Photoshop equivalents, just let me know.
You can always just pocket this information for a rainy day, if you find a suitable piece of existing CC in the meantime
Screenshots

Scribe of tutorials. Oracle of questions at NRaas. Blog staller at thecardinalsims. Feel free to @ me for input on any TS3/TS4 modding questions.
Instructor
Original Poster
#9 Old 23rd Apr 2024 at 3:18 PM
@CardinalSims and @simsmidgen. You both have been beyond helpful. Thank you so much for taking the time! I appreciate it. I guess I have some work to do. I'll be back. I will try both of your suggestions.
Instructor
Original Poster
#10 Old 23rd Apr 2024 at 5:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CardinalSims
I don't mind describing the process, as most tutorials are probably for making makeup from scratch which is far more than needed here.
You may want to check the original creator's TOU before getting started, just to make sure it's alright to include with the sim.

All you need is S3OC (to clone the CC, assuming you wouldn't want the edit to overwrite the original) and S3PE to export/import the texture.

The general gist would be
  • Open the CC in S3OC (from File > Open Package), select the CASP, click 'Clone or Fix' on the right-hand panel. The name and categories can also be adjusted there. Check 'Create clone package' and 'Renumber/rename internally' on the left-hand panel, then click Start. Name + save the new package.
  • Open the new package in S3PE. The _IMG resources are the textures- clicking on them will show a preview. If it's a recolourable makeup, you'll be looking for the texture that's greyscale/white. Right-click then Export > To file.
  • GIMP is a free image editor that can open .dds files, if you don't have access to Photoshop.
    Uncheck 'Load mipmaps' when you open the .dds. You can ignore most of the interface- all you need is the rectangle select tool from the top left (or the eraser, if you want to make a smaller or more careful change) and the Channels tab in the bottom right.
  • With just the Alpha channel selected, you can drag the selection box over the part you want to hide and press Delete. Or use the eraser on the area. GIMP already shows the 'literal' appearance of the image, but in the thumbnail for the channel you can see why it works that way- black = invisible, white = visible, with shades of grey between being transparency.
    File > Export when you're done, click on the original and overwrite. The export options are pretty important, so here's a screenshot of what they should be set to:
  • In S3PE, right click on the same texture and this time select Replace. Choose the edited image and hopefully the preview will now show it looking the way you wanted. Save and install like any other mod.

If you need a screenshot of any of the steps or the Photoshop equivalents, just let me know.
You can always just pocket this information for a rainy day, if you find a suitable piece of existing CC in the meantime

@CardinalSims
OK update: I did it!
Your instructions were very easy to understand and follow, thank - you so much for your help. You should write more tutorials.

Question: out of curiosity what happens if I delete the other non grey scale img file? Do I have to edit it &replace it, the same way as the grey one?
Instructor
#11 Old 24th Apr 2024 at 1:56 AM
@CardinalSims
OK update: I did it!
Your instructions were very easy to understand and follow, thank - you so much for your help. You should write more tutorials.

Question: out of curiosity what happens if I delete the other non grey scale img file? Do I have to edit it &replace it, the same way as the grey one?

Happy to hear it! That's precisely what I do here

You don't really need to do anything with the other textures, as the diffuse (the grey one) is in charge of cutting out what's visible on all of them. The exception would be certain makeups that use overlays (parts that can't be recoloured ingame), then yes feel free to repeat the process to hide their parts as well.
It's more likely a control (bright colours on black, marks the recolourable parts) or a specular (black-white, marks the shiny parts). Which simply won't do anything anymore to the areas that got hidden on the diffuse. You generally don't want to delete them, even if they're redundant or unimportant looking, as there may be some weirdness if the game is looking for a file that doesn't exist.