Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Mar 2010 at 3:47 PM
How can I DESTROY screen tearing?
I have some serious page tearing, and it is getting rather annoying..how can I fix this?

Here are my system specs: http://www.google.com/products/cata...e&os=tech-specs

What component should I upgrade to get rid of the screen tearing...BY THE WAY, if I try to set my graphic cards setting all the way, the game's shrubbery turns to this:

What component should I upgrade to be capable of ramping the gpu settings? Thank you for all the assist
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 28th Mar 2010 at 5:03 PM
What is the date of your Grahics drivers? Your dxdiag report will tell you that. Also make sure windows and net frameworks are up to date as well. Specs look okay for low-medium setting overall.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Mar 2010 at 6:41 PM Last edited by WindsorErick : 28th Mar 2010 at 8:39 PM.
DarkAmaranth, my specs should play high on game settings.. but anyways the date says March 28. And my windows is up to date, I'm thinking it is a hardware issue more than anything.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#4 Old 28th Mar 2010 at 7:17 PM
Jesus' shit, stop dumping nuclear waste in the floppy drive, k?

March 28 of this year? So you updated the drivers today?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 28th Mar 2010 at 8:39 PM
Yes. and hahahahahahahaha. My town's power plant unfortunately exploded :D
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 28th Mar 2010 at 11:39 PM
So any answers as to which hardware component I should upgrade to resolve these issues...
Mad Poster
#7 Old 29th Mar 2010 at 7:33 PM
Bumping is not allowed in the Help Forum, Please read the Sticky at the top of the Help Forum.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 29th Mar 2010 at 7:38 PM
Oh sorry I didn't see the sticky... and I still can't :/ Can I have a link please?
In the Arena
retired moderator
#9 Old 30th Mar 2010 at 3:59 PM
For Hardware recommendations, the sticky is in the Computer & Software Help forum. Link is available from the Help menu above.

You already want to upgrade the gpu on such a new piece of machinery? Why not at time of purchase? and could have gotten some discount with bundles and whatnot...This card should have no problem running the game by the way, just not on ALL High graphical settings - some tweaks are pointless beyond a certain level anyway.

With the way TS3 is coded, nobody should really play with the graphical settings ramped up all the way, especially if it would create those sort of effects - are you monitoring temps with hwmonitor?

You could do a test and move the options.ini from the Documents\EA\TS3 path to the Desktop temporarily and let the game reset to factory settings to see if those effects would be gone. If you want to restore your tweaked options, then move it back.

I'm surprised you would rather tax new hardware to work harder than it really needs to, and shortening its lifespan just because the machine is packed up to the gills rather than let the machine cruise to what the game is capable of handling? Just my opinion, though....

If this thread is to discuss hardware and not the game, I can move this over to Computer Tech forum.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 30th Mar 2010 at 4:02 PM
Oh could you please! I also had another issue of tearing in the game It's rather bad even with v-snyc on, and I was wondering what a solution could be, or is it just EA's lack of a game v-snyc?
In the Arena
retired moderator
#11 Old 30th Mar 2010 at 5:31 PM
Moving...then (From Sims 3 Help).

Have you tried resetting the options.ini to see if that solve this problem? Then perhaps you could tweak each settings one at a time to see what "ramped up" settings work for you on this computer, before you start seeing artifacts.

BTW, did this just started happening after the driver update on 28th or even before then? Are there other ATI GPU users on AMd's forums with this card having similar issues?

I could never comprehend all this hardware settings on or off or what I should or should not be seeing, so I'll let other mods handle the queries.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#12 Old 30th Mar 2010 at 5:42 PM
Do you play other games? If so, do you get any graphics issues with them?

Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#13 Old 30th Mar 2010 at 6:07 PM
ATI Catalyst 10.2 is causing issues. I know of a few people who play other games that were having serious crashing issues with the pc and had to revert to 10.1. To go back to 10.1 make sure to use a driver cleaner app to get it all out before updating, and be sure to turn off auto windows update so it doesn't give you 10.2 again.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 30th Mar 2010 at 7:41 PM Last edited by WindsorErick : 30th Mar 2010 at 7:52 PM.
I do play other games, and no problems with them. I'm hoping to get a 750w psu (from a 500w psu) to see if that will do any better. Here's the odd thing though, I reverted my settings to the lowest gpu config's, and the shrubs were glowing green as well.

ALSO! To the previous poster, could you give me a link to a free driver remover?
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 31st Mar 2010 at 6:12 AM
It kind of looks like a video ram issue to me. Have to be careful with the new GDDR5 ram cards as when they retrain the ram speed it does this kind of thing. You probably are not using the video card enough and it's trying to go into a slow mode. You could up your fallback clocks a 100 mhz each setting and fuss with the ram speed issues. Pick up radeon bios editor and read it into the system and report back what your fallback clocks are. But ya don't mess with it till you've gone back to older catalyst.
Let me guess your other games are all video card burners and you don't play anything else with lower graphics requirements.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#16 Old 31st Mar 2010 at 1:26 PM
Driver Cleaner http://www.afterdawn.com/software/s...cleaner_pro.cfm

This is the only one I've used and I had no problems. I just swapped video cards between two computers since the ATI one was crashing the one computer.

I remember seeing that toxic green early in the games release, but I can't remember what the exact cause was but was. What game version are you running? Including patches.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 31st Mar 2010 at 4:15 PM
I am running version 1.46 I don't patch because I've heard of bad stories when talking about updating.

As to nobody, I don't play other games, Sims 3 is the only game I play :D

But could someone explain how to get rid of screen-tearing ingame? I don't get screen-tearing in any other game besides sims 3.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 3rd Apr 2010 at 10:25 AM
That's the way the games made. It looks like that for all of us.

Joins in on the mind screwing.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#19 Old 3rd Apr 2010 at 12:39 PM
No it doesn't, Nobody...

Have you followed HL and ella's advice, WindsorErick?

Test Subject
Original Poster
#20 Old 4th Apr 2010 at 2:59 AM
I did find a driver sweeper and I updated to 10.3, however I still went on high gpu settings and there was still the green issue... however I did follow Ella's advice to stop trying to ramp up the gpu settings...HOWEVER Whiterider, or anyone in that matter.. do you know a solution for the screen tearing? Is it a gpu issue, psu issue, or just something I can't solve I have the gpu v-sync on, and yet there is still tearing.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#21 Old 4th Apr 2010 at 3:39 AM
Like any graphical issue, it could be the GPU, could be the PSU, could be the motherboard, could even be the RAM - since no part of your setup is particularly weak or known to have been damaged, there is no obvious culprit.

Download HWMonitor - it's a temperature and voltage monitoring program. Run HWMonitor for half an hour or so during normal computer use, then screenshot the window and post the screenshot here. Do the same while playing TS3. Comparing the screenshots will help us determine if there are any problems with your machine's cooling or power supply.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#22 Old 4th Apr 2010 at 4:27 AM
Ok thank you
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 4th Apr 2010 at 10:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by whiterider
No it doesn't, Nobody...

Have you followed HL and ella's advice, WindsorErick?

I just don't think we are getting any straight answers. It doesn't do it on other games. I don't play any other games but the sims. It just seems like haha help me suckers.
In the Arena
retired moderator
#24 Old 4th Apr 2010 at 10:46 AM
Some of the posters on ATI boards have found fixes when they update their BIOS for the motherboards with the newer CPUs, together with Catalyst 10.3 (appears that 10.2 was buggy like HugeLunatic wrote above). At least, I've read of Gigabyte having new BIOS, but the AMD mobo users were still posting issues. Didn't read or dig about Asus and other mobo manufacturers, though.

You have the latest directX and all that jazz?
You never posted your specs showing the versions - the google link wouldn't have this info. Also no model for the Mobo so that I could verify either way the BIOS version...
Did you verify the new drivers "took" in Device Manager and you run DxDiag to verify that it is reported as such?

Also, I think later game patches do have better graphical handling, although EA never documented any such things as they seem to do on the bugs - "if it's not acknowledged, it never happens" seems to be their philosophy. :p
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#25 Old 4th Apr 2010 at 2:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nobody
I just don't think we are getting any straight answers. It doesn't do it on other games. I don't play any other games but the sims. It just seems like haha help me suckers.
These two statements are contradictory. It doesn't do so in other games, but you don't play other games, so...? What conclusion are we supposed to draw from this? Bottom line: Update your drivers. If you did so and this is what is causing this, downgrade your drivers.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.

Page 1 of 2