Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Oct 2023 at 9:39 AM
Default extra vertex on the same position problem
I made a top which has about 2.5 k verts. After importing it on milkshape to make it .wso, verts go over 7k verts. I aware of verts getting higher because of sharp seams, but it's too much. To examine what is causing it, I did whole things in tsrw, then import .obj to blender.

there are a lot of extra verts on the same position. How do I solve it? Thanks.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 15th Oct 2023 at 3:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CHboom!
I made a top which has about 2.5 k verts. After importing it on milkshape to make it .wso, verts go over 7k verts. I aware of verts getting higher because of sharp seams, but it's too much. To examine what is causing it, I did whole things in tsrw, then import .obj to blender.

there are a lot of extra verts on the same position. How do I solve it? Thanks.

There are a few things you can do. I write, using Blender 2.80. Use MTK to convert your object to geom, and add bones. Import the geom to Blender. Merge vertices by distance, 0.0001. UV edit side, UV> seams from islands. This will show all seams in red, and show split UV vertices. In UV Edit, select all. Use merge vertices by distance, 0.0001. Be sure to inspect your UV as you do this to be sure that you do not merge vertices from too far away from each other. Decrease the merge distance as necessary. Select UV> Seams from islands again. Hopefully, only seams you want are shown. If no, you will need to work on each problem individually.

The wayward vertices in your bow, you will need to move into position manually. Go to mesh wireframe view. Select the vertice you need merged, and merge at center with merge UV on. If necessary, just move the merged vertice to where you want it. Just be sure this was NOT a wanted seam, as doing that with merge on will pull vertices across the UV map.

If only a few split edges on the UV map, you can select the split vertices and use Weld/align> weld.

Shiny, happy people make me puke!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Oct 2023 at 3:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LadySmoks
There are a few things you can do. I write, using Blender 2.80. Use MTK to convert your object to geom, and add bones. Import the geom to Blender. Merge vertices by distance, 0.0001. UV edit side, UV> seams from islands. This will show all seams in red, and show split UV vertices. In UV Edit, select all. Use merge vertices by distance, 0.0001. Be sure to inspect your UV as you do this to be sure that you do not merge vertices from too far away from each other. Decrease the merge distance as necessary. Select UV> Seams from islands again. Hopefully, only seams you want are shown. If no, you will need to work on each problem individually.

The wayward vertices in your bow, you will need to move into position manually. Go to mesh wireframe view. Select the vertice you need merged, and merge at center with merge UV on. If necessary, just move the merged vertice to where you want it. Just be sure this was NOT a wanted seam, as doing that with merge on will pull vertices across the UV map.

If only a few split edges on the UV map, you can select the split vertices and use Weld/align> weld.

When I make a cc,
1. Make and adjust mesh in blender then export it in obj. sharp seam instead of edge splitting
2. Open milkshape and Import it into milkshape because blender doesn't support .wso. Doing nothing but export it as .wso.
3. Open MTK, then in the Auto tools for WSO, do bone assignment, fix seam, then create morph with .wso reference.
4. Open TSR workshop, in the mesh tab, import .wso file. and do some minor things such as texture things and blah blah blah then export it as .simpack then convert it to package file with Sims3Pack Multi Installer.

I guess my workflow is the simplest and easiest way so far.

Even though that mesh got messed up when import it from TSRW, it looks fine as it is just 6591 vertex.

Real thing is accessory got really bad shape in game its verts are only 1196. Why I am trying to reduce vertex on outfit, I heard that its there are limit on total number of vertex, and I think its number is affecting accessory's quality.
Which steps do I need to correct?
Screenshots
Forum Resident
#4 Old 16th Oct 2023 at 3:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CHboom!
When I make a cc,
1. Make and adjust mesh in blender then export it in obj. sharp seam instead of edge splitting
2. Open milkshape and Import it into milkshape because blender doesn't support .wso. Doing nothing but export it as .wso.
3. Open MTK, then in the Auto tools for WSO, do bone assignment, fix seam, then create morph with .wso reference.
4. Open TSR workshop, in the mesh tab, import .wso file. and do some minor things such as texture things and blah blah blah then export it as .simpack then convert it to package file with Sims3Pack Multi Installer.

I guess my workflow is the simplest and easiest way so far.

Even though that mesh got messed up when import it from TSRW, it looks fine as it is just 6591 vertex.

Real thing is accessory got really bad shape in game its verts are only 1196. Why I am trying to reduce vertex on outfit, I heard that its there are limit on total number of vertex, and I think its number is affecting accessory's quality.
Which steps do I need to correct?

Work flow is whatever works for the person doing the work! Mine is quite different, and does not bother with Milkshape. Most of my meshes start as EA and are imported to Blender as geom. Reason is that geom has bones, and will auto split seams in Blender 2.80. I will export a mesh as BOTH object and as geom. Reason is that object usually exports cleaner, and geom holds any custom bone painting that I have done. I use MTK to convert .obj to geom, and add bones using MTK and my custom painted mesh. There is a seam fix in MTK for neck, waist and ankles that match to EA position. It works for af/yf, but not tf. For af, I use MTK seam fix, for tf, I import the geom back into Blender, do NOT touch anything, then immediately export and use 2.80 geom tools seam fix. From there, I convert to .wso in MTK.

Custom mesh morphs are another issue completely, and can take longer to fix than making the original mesh. I am currently experimenting with Blender 2.93, and adjusting geom morphs, but normally will use MTK to convert the .wso to .obj, and .obj import to Blender. From there, I adjust each vertices as necessary on each morph mesh, being sure to grab both vertices of a seam. You cannot use merge, as it messes with vertices count and MTK will not convert back to .wso, or to geom.

Yes, vertices count is a big deal. I forget exactly where it is, but there is an old thread that I stumbled across when I had a similar issue. I think it was @murfee who had problems with a high poly mesh, and I think it was Cmar who talked about total count of all LODs. There is a chart that I use in MTK> Auto tools for GEOM> Mesh Mirror> Hint. The chart is somewhere else in MTK as well. You have 10,000 vertices to play with for a top, for ALL LODs. I have done tops at 7,000 verts for L1, but must then heavily reduce L2 and L3. Easy way to see if you went over is to move the fat slider in TSRW mesh tab. Either the garment, or the model's hair will explode.

Which part is an accy? The hat??? If yes, the top should not effect an accy. High poly shoes or possibly using the wrong type of donor in TSRW will cause accys to distort, especially if the accy uses morphs. A good way around this, especially for hat, is to use bone b__Hat_grip__, and hat sliders. Buckley fixed a couple that were not working properly... here I have been working with this on a couple of things, and it works fairly well.

Shiny, happy people make me puke!