Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Oct 2023 at 3:50 PM Last edited by JelliedNewt : 2nd Nov 2023 at 1:40 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage
Default How to fix accessories/jewellery flashing blue on mac?
Having an issue with Skell's Old Timey Hats (BV jewellery) flashing blue + floating off the head in live mode. Bowlers and flamencos definitely affected, and likely the others, though I haven't play tested them yet. The textures are perfectly functional in CAS.

I have tried:
- changing their appearance in the mirror
- removing the hats, quitting out of the game, shutting the computer down, then booting the game back up to reapply them

In both cases, the problem was temporarily fixed, but restarted upon reloading the lot.
I have found a guide for fixing textures/blue flash, but it's for PC users and uses simPE, and so is not an option for me. I haven't been able to find a guide or advice on how to permanently fix the problem without simPE, and Skell doesn't appear to have been active for some time where I know to contact her, so no luck there.

Does anyone either know how to permanently fix this on mac, or have some files with working textures?
I'm aware it can be fixed with batbox by bringing up the 'change appearance' screen, but, frankly, it's a pain, so I'm keen to know if there's a solution that will stick.

EDIT/// link to the CC in question, for easier access:
https://whattheskell.tumblr.com/pos...e-gos-theme/amp
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 26th Oct 2023 at 3:59 PM
Most likely it's an issue with how the meshes/textures are built up.
The Mac version still has Pets, where (I think?) the issue with flashing blue accessories started.

There's unfortunately not a lot of ways to fix it, other than this tutorial (guessing it was the one you found). The issue is inside the files, and you need SimPE for that. https://modthesims.info/t/283059

The batbox and similar options are just temporary "fixes", and don't do anything with the actual problem, so while they can get you through a play session, the problem is still there.

(can you link to the accessories, so I can take a look? Skell has a LOT of stuff in several places, and it takes a while to look through it)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd Nov 2023 at 1:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Most likely it's an issue with how the meshes/textures are built up.
The Mac version still has Pets, where (I think?) the issue with flashing blue accessories started.

There's unfortunately not a lot of ways to fix it, other than this tutorial (guessing it was the one you found). The issue is inside the files, and you need SimPE for that. https://modthesims.info/t/283059

The batbox and similar options are just temporary "fixes", and don't do anything with the actual problem, so while they can get you through a play session, the problem is still there.

(can you link to the accessories, so I can take a look? Skell has a LOT of stuff in several places, and it takes a while to look through it)

I'd guessed as much, but thank you for confirming.

Downloaded from this GoS thread:
https://gardenofshadows.org.uk/gard...45389#msg745389

Tumblr link (leading to the reply) in case that one doesn't play:
https://whattheskell.tumblr.com/pos...e-gos-theme/amp

Sorry, I should have included that in my original post. I have all of the hats aside from the FT-repositoried Flamenco.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 2nd Nov 2023 at 3:49 PM
They turned out to have a slightly different issue, where the GMDC names have been changed but not the ones in the SHPE and GMND resources, and they differ, so the placeholder tutorial wouldn't have done the trick. They'll still work, but will cause the same blue-flashing issue as the one the placeholder tutorial fixes (it's the reason I usually prefer keeping the original subset names when making accessories - it's too much hassle cleaning up the files...)

I've fixed the mesh files for you, but haven't tested them, so let me know if there are any issues. They should work with both versions (jewelry/regular accessories). Make sure to remove the original files, and you'll need to update sims who are currently wearing the hats, using a mirror.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  MESH-Skell-Hats.zip (226.4 KB, 4 downloads)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 25th Dec 2023 at 8:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
They turned out to have a slightly different issue, where the GMDC names have been changed but not the ones in the SHPE and GMND resources, and they differ, so the placeholder tutorial wouldn't have done the trick. They'll still work, but will cause the same blue-flashing issue as the one the placeholder tutorial fixes (it's the reason I usually prefer keeping the original subset names when making accessories - it's too much hassle cleaning up the files...)

I've fixed the mesh files for you, but haven't tested them, so let me know if there are any issues. They should work with both versions (jewelry/regular accessories). Make sure to remove the original files, and you'll need to update sims who are currently wearing the hats, using a mirror.

Works like a charm, thank you! (Apologies for the. Um. Late reply. I kept forgetting.)