Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
#52 Old 24th Nov 2020 at 5:33 AM
The url is slightly different due to the change in forum software. This is the correct link now - https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/di...r-severe-lag/p1

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
InnaLisa Pose Archive
Advertisement
Test Subject
#53 Old 17th May 2024 at 7:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by J. M. Pescado
Actually, it is: The "standing blankly in front of the shower or while going to work" is a side effect of Uniform Caching. Rather than freezing the game like in TS2 anytime a sim underwent a uniform change to load their uniforms, the game will just stand the sim there (looking very stupid) and go on with its life while it waits for the uniform to load. If you are running the game at accelerated speeds, LOTS of time, sometimes HOURS, can pass, due to the fact that running the game at high speed impedes the loading of the uniform in addition to burning time faster. If you PAUSE the game and just wait a few seconds, the sim will immediately be able to spin and move again without any in-game time passing.

It is possible to disable "background loading", but then your game will exhibit jerky behavior in real-time anytime someone changes their clothes.

Hey there -- looks like I'm experiencing the same issue. I didn't experience this until after I upped my GraphicsRule document settings for Sim resolution (I was adamant about making certain CAS mods look 'good'). I'm going to turn it back to default settings and see if that helps -- in case this might help others too. Thank you!
Test Subject
#54 Old 17th May 2024 at 7:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by aelfwyne
gack, yet more performance nightmares from this dang game then... I was wondering why it seemed that if I wanted my sims ready for work/school I had to wake them up an hour before the alarm to even get a single task done. Now I know.

Seriously, I have FOUR GIGABYTES OF RAM, can't this game at least keep clothing for the active family in memory? geez... You'd think they pay the programmers at EA in Cheetos.

man.... I have 16GB of RAM and I'm still struggling lmao. I think it's my graphics card. I'm playing on a non-gaming laptop that is going to be 6 years old this fall. Screw this, my next one is gonna be a decked out gaming laptop with CPU like you've never seen. And if the game still fails (I also have it freeze-frame mid-game, with special effects still spinning so it's clearly thinking), then I'm just gonna blow it up.
Forum Resident
#55 Old 17th May 2024 at 9:23 AM
Some people experience what they call in TS4 as simulation lag, in TS3, however because it is only some people it is not telling that it's a game issue or everyone should be experiencing it.

But why some experience this and others don't could be a variety of factors and one of the reasons being computer configuration. For example, TS3 is a mostly CPU-intensive game so having 8 GB or more RAM (Anything more than 8 GB for just TS3 is unnecessary even though TS3 uses around 3.7 GB, having extra RAM can help with other computer calculations going on in the background without interfering with the stability of the game.) to appropriately run TS3 and a GPU geared towards gaming, but then have a CPU that is not on par will likely cause performance issues. Not to mention for those with desktops that motherboards are also just as important to prevent bottle-necking. All hardware should be near or on par with each other for the best gaming experience. This is something to know whether you are building your own and/or replacing computer hardware or buying a gaming computer and to know what is inside and do the research.

Something else about the CPU is the Ghz. According to TS3 minimal system requirements it is stated, unless otherwise, that 2.4 Ghz is the standard starting base. You will stress your computer out if you have base GHz of 1.8 or 2.0, or anything lower than the minimal. And that will not only likely overwork and overheat your computer but also the gameplay will suffer from it. Sure there is turbo or whatever that feature is but constantly having the CPU in that mode will kill the CPU and/or computer sooner than later. It's not worth the risk.

Another reason, is some changing settings that they have no idea how it affects the game and/or the computer. While some may be okay to get away with it, others will not and again that depends on computer configuration. All hardware has a limit to what it can and cannot handle and I think most do not even know the capabilities of their computers, let alone, know anything about the hardware itself.

TS3 does not need a gaming computer however it may not play as intended, especially with all EP's/SP's/Store Content. Then again The Sims Studio said you can play TS3 on your grandmother's computer and they were right but they never claimed you could play all EP's/SP's/Store Content on it, just the base game.

By today's standards a high-end desktop/laptop is overkill for just TS3 and maybe even a mid-range too. The only reason why I built a computer that was high-end at the time for TS3 was because it was a start to get into PC gaming overall coming from console gaming. And so now I just switched primarily to being a PC gamer for now but my computer is not just for TS3 which to me would be a waste when the game doesn't even need all that power to run it.

Besides some leftover glitches, the only issue TS3 has is no FPS limiter but other than that once corrected it runs flawlessly with the right non gaming or gaming computer setup. Just know your hardware limits. (Sidenote: Any mods that are CPU intensive will mostly likely cause a performance hit as already mentioned TS3 is already a mostly CPU-intensive game. So now the CPU the mod(s) would be in competition with TS3 over the CPU. Go ahead and try it and see how poorly TS3 runs because of the extra workload on the game engine that's only 32-bit. And yes all video games/game engines have it's limits too when it comes to modding. Use at your own risk, don't blame the game for user error and ignorance.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtfrhN8rGpA

Previous Game: Batman: Arkham Knight (Hard Mode/Unfinished-Another Time)

Next Game: ObsCure (Oops I got Kenny and then later Stan killed-who reminds me of Josh Harnett...starting over! I enjoy the 90s/00s lingo, lol. The remaster looks great too.)
Page 3 of 3