Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#26 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 9:59 AM
i have that tutorial also. i guess you need to be some sort of graphic desiner to understand the dynamics of the program. i am doing a trial-and-error with a dresser now. i will be back to tell you how it goes.
Advertisement
Part-time Hermit
#27 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 10:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Dyamondgyrl77
i have that tutorial also. i guess you need to be some sort of graphic desiner to understand the dynamics of the program. i am doing a trial-and-error with a dresser now. i will be back to tell you how it goes.

No, you don't need to be a graphics designer to use the program, it's just that most programs take some time and practice before you get good at them. Some say other 3D programs than Milkshape are easier to use. I have not used others so far. I only started using Milkshape for the first time in July, and with the tutorials here and elsewhere, and many hours spent with it I think I have a hang of most of it now.

If this is your first time making a new object, a dresser might not be the best one to start with. There are so many things to learn with Milkshape, SimPE and a uv-mapping program when you start making objects that the animation retaining aspects of making an armoire might be too much to handle. Maybe you should start out with that end table first?
Test Subject
#28 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 10:55 AM
wow you don't have much faith in me. I am using his tutorial along with the tutorial from Grapholina. Here tutorial was great!

Anyway, I am coming along great so far. I should be finished in shortly.
Part-time Hermit
#29 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 10:59 AM
wow you don't have much faith in me. I am using his tutorial along with the tutorial from Grapholina. Here tutorial was great!

Anyway, I am coming along great so far. I should be finished in shortly.

I did not mean to offend you. I just know from personal experience that the first time I was making an object, everything I had to learn was so overwhelming that coming up with a simple object like a dining table was certainly hard enough. I only warned you because I didn't want you try to start off with something difficult and then become frustrated and give up completely because you got overwhelmed. But, if you can handle it, that's fine. Did not mean to underestimate you, I've just been around the creation forums for a while and seen the problems people have when they first start off.
Test Subject
#30 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 11:22 AM
I was only joking. you didn't offend me in any way. I do appreciate the lookout. It is hard but I am determined not to quit. As a matter of fact on a scale of 1 to 10 I am giving this project about a 6. The examples from both JWoods and Grapholina are helping tremendously. I just finished the mesh so from here I am going to use Grapholina's Tutorial.

Have you been successful in making any new objects. I have had this game since last year but I just got a DVD-ROM a few weeks ago. I have been hooked every since.
Part-time Hermit
#31 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 12:58 PM

Have you been successful in making any new objects.

Yeah, I have made some, including a couple of armoires, although not using Grapholina's tutorial, but JWoods' Start To Finish Object Tutorial and then the armoire one of his Mesh Tool tutorials. The Mesh Tool is not the only way of retaining the animation, though, as I have found out recently (you can also do it in Milkshape with wes-h's plugin, for example).
Test Subject
#32 Old 7th Nov 2005 at 4:35 AM
JWoods' Start to Finish Object Tutorial and Grapholina's Create an Armoire Tutorial helped me complete my "Designer Dresser". I completed it and it worked fine with one little problem. When my SIM goes to open the drawer all of the drawers open and not just the 3 drawer. I don't know what I did wrong.

I would include a the screenshot but I don't know how to do it. I never "chatted" on a forum before.
Part-time Hermit
#33 Old 7th Nov 2005 at 4:41 AM Last edited by IgnorantBliss : 7th Nov 2005 at 5:13 AM.
JWoods' Start to Finish Object Tutorial and Grapholina's Create an Armoire Tutorial helped me complete my "Designer Dresser". I completed it and it worked fine with one little problem. When my SIM goes to open the drawer all of the drawers open and not just the 3 drawer. I don't know what I did wrong.

I would include a the screenshot but I don't know how to do it. I never "chatted" on a forum before.

Sounds like you grouped all the drawers together for the animation. I haven't made dressers, only armoires, and I don't know exactly what the names are, but I'd guess there's the body of the dresser as one group for the animation, and the drawer as another. In that case, you'd have to group all the non-opening drawers together with the body. Which way did you do it, did you use the Mesh Tool or something else? I haven't been able to view Grapholina's tutorial because it's a file format I can't open.
Mesh Maestro
Original Poster
#34 Old 7th Nov 2005 at 5:12 AM
Dyamondgyrl77: For a dresser you need to use my "Chest of Drawers" tutorial...

Reading is the key to all knowledge, math is the key to everything.
Test Subject
#35 Old 7th Nov 2005 at 6:14 AM
I did group all the drawers together. My groups were Dresser, Drawers and Feet. Something told me not to do that but now I don't know how to go back in a fix it.

JWoods I don't know what tutorial you are referencing.
Part-time Hermit
#36 Old 7th Nov 2005 at 7:02 AM
I did group all the drawers together. My groups were Dresser, Drawers and Feet. Something told me not to do that but now I don't know how to go back in a fix it.

JWoods I don't know what tutorial you are referencing.

Look at the first post of this thread for the dresser tutorial .
Test Subject
#37 Old 7th Nov 2005 at 7:05 AM
oh. Duh!!!

Can you now tell me how to fix my dresser. It works fine with the exception that all drawers open when only one is suppose to open.
Part-time Hermit
#38 Old 7th Nov 2005 at 9:40 AM
oh. Duh!!!

Can you now tell me how to fix my dresser. It works fine with the exception that all drawers open when only one is suppose to open.

In Milkshape (if that's what you're using) you'll have to select the drawers that you don't want to move, and also select the body of the dresser, and regroup them together. You can also regroup the legs into the body of the dresser, and then you'll have the one moving drawer as one group, and the rest of the dresser as another.
Test Subject
#39 Old 7th Nov 2005 at 10:06 AM
oh ok. that is where I went wrong.

Here is my grouping
Feet
TopDrawer
2ndDrawer
WorkingDrawer
BottomDrawer
Knobs
Dresser

Are you saying that I should group them all except the "WorkingDrawer"?
Part-time Hermit
#40 Old 7th Nov 2005 at 10:35 AM
oh ok. that is where I went wrong.

Here is my grouping
Feet
TopDrawer
2ndDrawer
WorkingDrawer
BottomDrawer
Knobs
Dresser

Are you saying that I should group them all except the "WorkingDrawer"?

You can have as many groups as you want to when you're building the mesh and uv-mapping it, but before you export it from Milkshape for SimPE and Mesh Tool, you should only have the groups that are mentioned in the tutorial, I don't remember their exact names, but basically, the moving drawer as its own group, and the rest of the dresser as a second group that will not be moving anywhere during the animation. To regroup, just select all the groups you want to merge together and use the Regroup option in Milkshape.
Test Subject
#41 Old 7th Nov 2005 at 10:42 AM
oh ok. I am doing that now then I am going to bed

Thanks again for your assistance.

By the way, would you happen to have a copy of HomeCrafter. I some wallpaper that I want to customize. The Sims2 site doesn't have it there
Part-time Hermit
#42 Old 7th Nov 2005 at 10:52 AM
oh ok. I am doing that now then I am going to bed

Thanks again for your assistance.

By the way, would you happen to have a copy of HomeCrafter. I some wallpaper that I want to customize. The Sims2 site doesn't have it there

Get the Homecrafter from the main site by going to the Cool Stuff section and clicking on Homecrafter.
Test Subject
#43 Old 7th Nov 2005 at 10:54 AM
That's what I am saying: it's not there. It's talking like it's there but when I click on any of the flags, I get nothing. I just sent Tech Support ticket to get the answer to this.
Part-time Hermit
#44 Old 7th Nov 2005 at 11:38 AM
That's what I am saying: it's not there. It's talking like it's there but when I click on any of the flags, I get nothing. I just sent Tech Support ticket to get the answer to this.

Did you try clicking on the text link below the flags that says "Download The Sims 2 Homecrafter Plus"?
Test Subject
#45 Old 7th Nov 2005 at 1:17 PM
OH MY GOODNESS!!! I guess I was having a "blond" moment. DUH!!!

I didn't even notice those words. I have it now.
Sorry!
Part-time Hermit
#46 Old 10th Jan 2006 at 9:38 AM
I have used the Mesh Tool (with Milkshape) on a couple of objects fairly recently to retain simple animations. I have tried the wes_h plugins, too, though, and I think I prefer them, when given the choice.
Lab Assistant
#47 Old 7th Feb 2006 at 9:36 PM
I HAVE A QUESTION

Can you mesh the swing set with animations? I don't know why I picked this particular item to mesh for my first time. I had a certain purpose for it in my game but trying this as a beginner was a mistake I can tell you. I got it animated one time but the seat went everwhere underneath the sim when I did. All other times were no animation, slowed the game to a crawl and eventually hung live mode up completely and the seat was unstable and would appear and disappear randomly but especially when I put another object near it. I was also trying to leave out the frame of the set which seemed to be not a problem. This has been done before so I wanted to make a thicker straighter seat and cylindrical ropes instead of chains with knots under the seat and color it with white rope and ash woodtone. My last finished product had just the look I wanted but with all of the above problems. Is it me or is this item just especially difficult to change?

When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on. --Eleanor Roosevelt
Field Researcher
#48 Old 17th Feb 2006 at 5:12 AM
heeeelllppp

im going nuts..yes even more then i already are lol

i made a refrigerator using wings,uv mapper and simpe. (all new versions) my problem is in simpe. i have a door,a knob and the frigde. i called those tree for "frigdemoderatestainless_contents_full" and i only changed the size of the content and materials. (i even tryed with out changing them) but in game,its not showing at all,or the frigde its self dont show,just the inside. what do i call what? how do i make is show in the game?

anita

I got a new fantastic web host. right here on MTS.
TY Delphy. i loooove it here :)
my new web adress is simsistic
check it out for more free downloads ;)
Part-time Hermit
#49 Old 17th Feb 2006 at 6:08 AM
simsistic, sounds like there might be something wrong with the mesh names, that's the most common reason for invisible meshes. Try posting your object in the Object Creation Workshop and Repair Center sticky thread in the Object Creation & Texturing forum, with an explanation of your problem, and someone will take a look at it .
Test Subject
#50 Old 7th Mar 2006 at 10:32 AM
Thanks 4 all the work u put into these I haven't done anything yet and I'm about 2 give it a go! I come in here MTS2 & Sapphiresims2 and see all the great stuff and it Frustrates me so here I go..........
Page 2 of 4