Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Nov 2019 at 2:42 AM
Default Unable to use Move In Household When Starting New Game in Custom World/Map
I'm hoping others may be able to assist me with an issue I'm having with an undeveloped world/map I'm developing in CAW. I've researched and tried various fixes but none seem to work. I exported the map into Sims 3 and opened the map. However, when I try to move in a household from the bin, there are no lot icons indicating empty houses, community lots, etc. When I cursor over lots, lots the household can afford are green (the ground). Lots they cannot are red but there is no further detail. I thought, perhaps, the game was trying to start the tutorial but lessons are disabled in game Options and tutorials are disabled in Options.ini. I've tried fixes I read about such as going in and out of Edit Town, saving a game and opening the saved game, and so forth but the problem persists. It is not only this world/map. I've heard the same thing from other players about custom worlds I've built from scratch. Most of the time I place households in Edit Town but I wanted to try to figure out how have it work correctly from the opening screen. I don't have any CC or store items in my Sims 3 folder. The only mods are packages for the Showtime proprietor, no sparkles, and no intro. Does anyone have an idea how to fix this? I'd appreciate any assistance! Thanks!
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 12th Nov 2019 at 7:28 AM
It may work again if you start a new game.

But often I find it means one of the lots is corrupted (I encountered it in my worlds as well). Cursor over each lot in Edit town mode until the lot information window pops up (don't click, just hover). Do this for every lot. You might find the stuck lot map tag bug that you encountered in Simburbia as well. Once you fix that lot, everything else should work as intended.

If it is not that, then try a new export. Maybe place the lots again in CAW, or clear the global layer (if possible). Sometimes it might just be a glitch when exporting.
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Nov 2019 at 1:25 AM Last edited by SimmyRN : 13th Nov 2019 at 1:41 AM.
Thanks, Norn! I'll try these things. I need to clean the global layer anyway.

Edit: I opened a new game, went to Edit Town, and cursored over all the lots. All were green and displayed the lot name and price. What would indicate a corrupt lot? Did I do something wrong?
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 13th Nov 2019 at 10:06 PM
What I meant is that the lot tag sometimes gets stuck in the top left corner (see attached pic) when you hover over a lot with a mouse (long enough that the lot tag would show). If you have such a lot none of the lot icons would show when you try to move in a household in. But if no lot tag gets stuck in Edit Town, then this is obviously not your problem. Just try a new export, I found that sometimes it's just that.
Screenshots
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 23rd Nov 2019 at 1:05 AM
Oh, I see. Thanks, Norn! Yes, there is a lot whose tag gets stuck in the upper left corner just like in your picture. I never considered that might why map tags aren't displaying. I've tried deleting and redrawing the lot in CAW, re-downloading and replacing the lot without success. Do you know of a way to fix this? It's really a pretty lot and I'd like to use it, but it seems to be problematic. I'll try re-exporting the world and see if that helps. I appreciate your assistance!
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 23rd Nov 2019 at 8:04 AM
Well, I'm still a bit shooting in the dark here but I think it has something to do with the game not being able to calculate the lot price. Why that happens I have no clue - maybe use of buydebug items, or faulty items, or just single objects corrupting. So far I have been able to fix all of those cases by either deleting some object and replacing it by buying from the catalogue. Keep an eye on the lot value tag while you do this. While mostly hidden by the stuck lot tag some figures are still visible. You'll see if they change in a reasonable way after you perform regular build/buy actions. This tells you it's ok now. It might be different for each lot what does the trick though.
Some examples:
- on one lot it was a ceiling lamp that has gone corrupt. I noticed it had lost its cast'ing and new cast'ing wouldn't stick, it would keep it's white-ish non-texture. So I deleted them all and placed them again from the catalogue. Now cast'ing it would stick, and also the lot tag issue was gone.
- on one lot I had to delete one wall, draw it again and add wallpapers
- you'll notice that sometimes the lot value would jump to 0 when you delete an object. This doesn't mean the deleted object is faulty, just that you haven't found the "corrupt" object yet.
It's important not to use the dropper to duplicate objects in order to replace them I assume. Just delete and buy again from the catalogue to make sure you have a fresh copy. It's not the objects as such that are bad, just the instance on the lot.
Hope this helps, as you can see, it's a lot of guessing here