Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Sep 2019 at 9:39 PM
Default Why are my images on recolored clothing blurry?
Hi! So I have been taking a few days watching hours upon hours of tutorials, faq info, and all other sorts of stuff to learn how to recolor cc. I am specifically into recoloring clothing. At the moment I have only been trying recoloring meshes of cc shirts. I have been trying to add patterns/images to my clothing and in PS it looks high quality, yet when I attach it in S4S and also in CAS it looks blurry? I don't see that happen with any of the tutorials I've watched, so I'm unsure what I'm doing wrong?

For context, I am using a MAC. I'm really feeling like I should just give up or something because this has happened with every recolor I've done. If someone could help me I'd be so grateful I don't see this question being asked so I'm feeling like I'm out of luck here.
Advertisement
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#2 Old 4th Sep 2019 at 12:18 AM
This does come up from time to time; you're far from the only one. Some loss of quality is inevitable since the texture is being compressed. There are a couple of things that might help:

If you're importing as dds, try saving and importing png instead. If you're using png, try dds.

If you're working with dds, it's best to keep it uncompressed (or as a psd) until you're ready to import it to your package, then save it with the DXT5 compression.

You could also try a separate image converter to convert to dds. Not all converters produce the same quality, and I don't know how good the PS dds plugin for Mac is. There are programs and online converters, just Google it.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Sep 2019 at 9:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
This does come up from time to time; you're far from the only one. Some loss of quality is inevitable since the texture is being compressed. There are a couple of things that might help:

If you're importing as dds, try saving and importing png instead. If you're using png, try dds.

If you're working with dds, it's best to keep it uncompressed (or as a psd) until you're ready to import it to your package, then save it with the DXT5 compression.

You could also try a separate image converter to convert to dds. Not all converters produce the same quality, and I don't know how good the PS dds plugin for Mac is. There are programs and online converters, just Google it.

Thanks so much for your reply! Well, I'm feeling better that I'm not the only one going through this. It's been so disheartening.

I have downloaded a dds plugin for Mac however I don't really understand how to apply it to my PS >< so I've been using only png this whole time. I will definitely look into the converters! Thank you for recommending it. Hopefully it will help my situation!