Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#26 Old 10th Aug 2019 at 2:32 AM
I've already been through trying to assist players on a board that had no signatures at the time, and that was on the EA official forums. I ended up with many players telling me that the information I was posting was all wrong and I had no idea how mods or NRaas works. It was not a very fulfilling experience, and I didn't feel that starting every other response with, "Hi, I am actually from NRaas and here is what you need to know..." really seemed efficient or very friendly. This never happened here, with a brief notation in my sig line about NRaas. Yes of course members can click through to my profile and see the sig, but many of them wouldn't even think to do that.

That doesn't speak to the general user experience of course, but being able to self-identify that way has at least for me and my colleagues who have participated here been very helpful over the years.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 10th Aug 2019 at 2:51 AM
EFFIN' EXACTLY! And besides that, I liked being able to have a handy link to things like a workaround I did for the pesky creature-related fears, or to a template of @bulbizarre that I edited, that people might like to try, rather than plugging it in each and every post and looking like a jerk.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#28 Old 10th Aug 2019 at 4:06 AM
I'm gonna throw my 2cents worth in again: sure you can see signatures on a person's profile. Sure, social groups could be made to collect links.

However: profiles don't get that many daily views. Well, mine doesn't. And how would I know who's profile I need to look at to see a link?
I also don't want to join a bunch of groups just to see some links. Leaving the signatures as they were was not taking anything away from the site, nor would it take away from the new navigation system. Unless you're trying to make people use the social groups....

Still not my site though. So you know..
Forum Resident
#29 Old 10th Aug 2019 at 4:25 AM
I regret that the temperature on some of these posts has gotten so cranked up. It's not very productive. =(

Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
Placing links to old sites and content is best listed in one place, rather than being in multiple users signatures. Placing links in signatures is not exactly the most efficient way to go about listing links for old sites. One dedicated forum would be far more beneficial, such as using Social Groups. This way if anyone wants to see where the old content is these days, they can go join the group.

I think, what's at issue is getting the message out. Being posted in one dedicated forum doesn't reach very many people. But when it's posted in somebody's signature, which goes all across the boards, there's a greater chance of being seen. Even if I don't see it, i may ask about it, and another user may say, "OH! I know where to find that for you!" And that, to me, was the value of having those things in the signatures on each post. I would have no reason or desire to go into most people's profiles. I dont know that they have something useful to me there, so I wouldn't bother to look, because 9 times out of 10, it isn't worth the loading time. I dont tend to visit people's profile pages very often, especially not repeatedly, because they don't usually change. Just makes it easier to share the news about the availability of feared lost works. In my opinion, that's a VERY valuable tool. And for me, it wasn't difficult to skip over the signature, so they didn't bother me most of the time.

I think people just value the exposure, is what they're trying to say.

-gE
>=)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#30 Old 10th Aug 2019 at 5:39 AM
Most of the links in signatures are to peoples blogs, archives and even to other threads on here. It was a quick and helpful reference. I for one do not ever remember who has what on their profile but have used links in a signature. Large signatures are intrusive but maybe even a short signature saying 'archive to X creator on my profile' or in igazor's case a line about 'Help for NRaas on my profile' Then at least people will know whose profile to click on.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#31 Old 10th Aug 2019 at 6:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Most of the links in signatures are to peoples blogs, archives and even to other threads on here. It was a quick and helpful reference. I for one do not ever remember who has what on their profile but have used links in a signature. Large signatures are intrusive but maybe even a short signature saying 'archive to X creator on my profile' or in igazor's case a line about 'Help for NRaas on my profile' Then at least people will know whose profile to click on.

Like they care about that. Nope. No news topics about this either - very, VERY sneaky.
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#32 Old 10th Aug 2019 at 10:49 AM Last edited by Lyralei : 10th Aug 2019 at 11:46 AM.
Just want to point out on the social group here can also just well be a thread in the general ts2 forum we can also sticky a thread of dead links. Because I will be honest, if I were to look for dead sites I honestly wouldn’t know who in the community would hold it in their signature.

So it makes sense here that some of you guys think “hey! I need a dead link from that person!” But for me as well as others who might be wanting to try ts2 or aren’t really checking threads as much for ts2 or don’t know the regular members who post there, they'd have zero ideas as to where to start. I feel like that point should also be addressed.

Thus why that suggestion was given for making a social group and in this case, even making a general thread in ts2's general board that we admins can sticky for you.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#33 Old 10th Aug 2019 at 11:01 AM Last edited by Tashiketh : 10th Aug 2019 at 11:38 AM.
In retrospect, some of you are perhaps right in that removing all signatures is not the way to go, and I agree that it appears like a nuclear option. You've given me some valuable insight into *how* signatures are used, and I strongly suggest people create either a social group or a thread in which a much better system of dead sites can be used than hunting for peoples signatures, because tbh that is still a bit silly.

After giving it a lot of thought, and examining even more the data (I don't just make changes "because I can", no matter what some people think.... ), signatures are back, but in the future they will be changed and restricted more to prevent some of the longer ones from appearing.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#34 Old 10th Aug 2019 at 2:22 PM
Thank you, much appreciated.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#35 Old 10th Aug 2019 at 3:15 PM
Thank you. I hope that any future 'nuclear' changes will come with a warning because the way we were treated, it felt like we were not important - we were ignored.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#36 Old 10th Aug 2019 at 3:19 PM
If I really was ignoring you lot then I wouldn't have turned them back on again.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Locked thread
Page 2 of 2