Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Jul 2019 at 3:22 PM
Default The Sims 4 Makes another political statement
New video for Sims 4: https://youtu.be/gKVaEM0VfXU

And once again nothing about the actual game was improved.

More news at 11.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 18th Jul 2019 at 3:52 PM Last edited by DeservedCriticism : 18th Jul 2019 at 4:02 PM.
TERRRRRRIBLE ad. Never a good look to try and make something like a game try and seem like a life-changing event.

The last line and some of the other lines of dialog also remind one of Second Life, which I don't think is a flattering look.

EDIT: Go through the comments and dig deep. You'll notice who their new demographic is.

The majority of the most upvoted comments aren't having it and calling the Sims out on it's shit. If you keep digging and scroll waaaaaaaaaaay down though, suddenly you find comments in approval of it and they're mostly accounts that are blatantly kids. I started checking the accounts out of curiousity and for example found one where the person's about is some little girl telling you about her character on some online pony game for kids.

Perhaps we should acknowledge there's something really warped about EA/Maxis marketing a game that's blatantly 13+ to children...?
Forum Resident
#3 Old 18th Jul 2019 at 4:06 PM
Old people unwelcome. Sims 1,2 .3, have elderly grey haired people on their box art. The new sims 4 doesn't. Why does maxis now hate old people?
Mad Poster
#4 Old 18th Jul 2019 at 4:08 PM
Cover art nor the video have people of other ages. Seem like everybody is young adult.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 18th Jul 2019 at 4:10 PM
Wow, that video, way to go Maxis try to pull at heart strings so you can continue to sell a subpar game, because you know we all are so unhappy with ourselves that we must build ourselves in the game. It makes us feel good about ourselves. What a tear jerking bunch of bull. I play Sims because it's a god game, sorry superman avi, you fly in my game you are going to get knocked down to earth so hard you never get back up. I knew it, (all along) TS4 is nothing but an avatar game where you dress up and redress up.
Instructor
#6 Old 18th Jul 2019 at 4:43 PM
Can we also talk about how the video both mentions "doing bad things without consequences" and a disabled woman and neither the disabled nor bad deeds are featured in the Sims 4? FFS discussing disabilities is often bannable but by God when it's time to sell copies they sure are quick to exploit a disabled person to pull on heart strings.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 18th Jul 2019 at 5:43 PM

When the channel knew how to engage with the audience instead of pulling sympathy card. Aside trailers, there been a lot of distracting videos during TS2-TS3 era and up till Get to Work production. It's clear there's not much interesting, passion and time for the game as developers side activity of playing or sharing a story.

Mad Poster
#8 Old 18th Jul 2019 at 5:50 PM
It's not another stand when it's the same stand they've had since TS4 launched.

Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Cover art nor the video have people of other ages. Seem like everybody is young adult.

That's the target audience. It's not teenagers or little girls. It's young adults who are confused about themselves and their roles. For TS4 that's been the audience the game panders to since launch.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Mad Poster
#9 Old 18th Jul 2019 at 6:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HarVee
It's not another stand when it's the same stand they've had since TS4 launched.

That's the target audience. It's not teenagers or little girls. It's young adults who are confused about themselves and their roles. For TS4 that's been the audience the game panders to since launch.

Though they seem to involuntarily amuse the teenies more.

Lab Assistant
#10 Old 18th Jul 2019 at 6:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DeservedCriticism
EDIT:Perhaps we should acknowledge there's something really warped about EA/Maxis marketing a game that's blatantly 13+ to children...?

I wouldn't say the game is blatantly for people 13+. The only thing "mature" about it really is Woohooing.

I had guessed that the reason they added CAS Stories is for a younger audience. This makes sense, because children are much more likely to buy DLC and use microtransactions. This is pretty accepted behavior for apps nowadays but it's only just coming into the PC gaming scene.

This is for the same reason that attractive people model for clothes. It makes the consumer want to look like the model when they wear those clothes. As with TS4 cover art, everybody wants to be in their early twenties because of all the benefits. Thus, it makes people feel happy and inspired when they see the covers.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 18th Jul 2019 at 7:35 PM
Other than market favourability, what benefits exactly?

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Mad Poster
#12 Old 18th Jul 2019 at 7:57 PM
I like that confessions video. It's essentially the middle ground between EA's shallow pandering and CollegeHumor's "wacky 80s movie pranks were mostly just rape".

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Field Researcher
#13 Old 18th Jul 2019 at 8:29 PM
I am Conservative on some issues, but very moderate and I have voted for Dems/Reps. But why do they insist on making political statements? So whatever.

View all My Sims 4 Creations here https://kiarasimsfourmods.home.blog/

Patreon here www.patreon.com/kiarasims4mods

KiaraSims4Mods Discord - https://discord.com/invite/TykFPkY
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 18th Jul 2019 at 8:44 PM
They need to be developing better patches for the base game. What's with development studios these days doing the bare minimum when it comes to actually developing their game? The only free work they are doing lately is putting pride items in the game. This adds no value to most people! Yet they keep pushing this narrative on everyone. You can be gay in the Sims since The Sims 1, SO WHAT??? This isn't anything new! Yet they keep on pushing this narrative how The Sims is so progressive and patting themselves on the back for it.

NEWSFLASH! The game can be progressive without you drawing so much attention to it or spending budget on actors and commercials to tell us that. Stop treating people like they are stupid and don't know what's in the game. The people already playing the game since THE SIMS 1 already knew you could do this stuff. If you want your game to thrive and for people to talk about it, play, and spend money, Start developing something of substance ffs!!!
Mad Poster
#15 Old 18th Jul 2019 at 8:47 PM Last edited by HugeLunatic : 20th Jul 2019 at 11:44 AM. Reason: inappropriate image
But I thought we already all knew the reason why otherwise emotionless corporations who wouldn't otherwise hesitate to partake in questionable ethical behaviour would turn on a dime and embrace (and commodify) societally-popular movements!
Mad Poster
#16 Old 18th Jul 2019 at 9:10 PM
Subaru did it first. Sure, it had a positive side effect, but that was never the goal. It all has a slight positive side effect, but saying "don't mind the rest, we like you" ultimately serves one goal and one goal only: to improve sales figures among LGBT customers.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#17 Old 18th Jul 2019 at 9:10 PM
While the ad was...very cringe...and really had absolutely nothing to do with the product they're trying to sell (the least they could do was show us some gameplay. Maybe pictures of these peoples' sims). I've also never really cared for this mindset that anything that has to do with acceptance, diversity, and learning to love yourself is political. Moves like these are definitely manipulative on the part of corporations (though, the whole point of ads is to manipulate viewers) but I still fail to see why it's always associated with politics. Shouldn't the acknowledgement of people's differences be something that everyone strives for, regardless of where you fall on the political spectrum?

The Receptacle still lives!
Field Researcher
#18 Old 18th Jul 2019 at 9:35 PM
Ya ya ya ya, now, can you please go back to making it an enjoyable game to play again? Thanks.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#19 Old 18th Jul 2019 at 9:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lil bag2
Shouldn't the acknowledgement of people's differences be something that everyone strives for, regardless of where you fall on the political spectrum?

People will either accept something or they will not. Pushing the message in peoples faces will not make them accept it. In fact, it has the opposite effect for many.

Like many people I don't play games to be force fed propaganda from any establishment. I'm sure many games are in fact political in very subtle ways that you don't notice. But in the case of Sims 4 it's right on the nose and they are outright pushing it as part of their brand. You might even start to ask is there even a game behind all of this.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 18th Jul 2019 at 9:46 PM Last edited by SneakyWingPhoenix : 18th Jul 2019 at 10:17 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Sims_Lover
I am Conservative on some issues, but very moderate and I have voted for Dems/Reps. But why do they insist on making political statements? So whatever.

Edgy/ I guess. It's the 21st century thing. Tbh, the video in question isn't overdo with the political statement. For what could been, they could had the reviewed volunteer very victimize and feel angry about unacceptable with questions that provoke aggression.

Those people are tamed, I get their stance and relate (how many of us escape by playing Sims and felt it's that charming thing we grew up interacting with?), but ehh. I don't feel strongly about this video nor do the said tolerance stuff bring anything to discuss on.

"I always thought that the term beautiful meant blonde hair and blue eyes". Oh, so the game change your outlook or what message your trying to send here? Beauty is subjective; doesn't mean your ugly just if you hadn't receive a compliment. I don't care, why should I? You define yourself.

And why do I find amusing how a few these 'outcasts' approved the idea of "creating drama"? TS4 - what drama do you speak off? Break up between a talking toilet and a doghouse figment? :D

Lab Assistant
#21 Old 18th Jul 2019 at 10:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Drakortha
Stop treating people like they are stupid and don't know what's in the game. The people already playing the game since THE SIMS 1 already knew you could do this stuff.

It's a commercial aimed at people who haven't bought the game yet, not veteran sims players. If they made commercials for only Sims players, well.... There wouldn't be a need for commercials.

Quote: Originally posted by lil bag2
Shouldn't the acknowledgement of people's differences be something that everyone strives for, regardless of where you fall on the political spectrum?

Tell that to people on the alt-right.

And why do I find amusing how a few these 'outcasts' approved the idea of "creating drama"? TS4 - what drama do you speak off? Break up between a talking toilet and a doghouse figment? :D

This reminds me of a moment in TS3. My male Sim was having a birthday party and kissed his coworker right in front of my Sim's wife. They fought for three days and didn't sleep in the same bed during that time. Then, when the wife Sim came home one night, she decided to ask for a divorce. I couldn't stop her from doing that--"so and so already made her decision." I wished they still had that kind of stuff.
Theorist
#22 Old 18th Jul 2019 at 11:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Diovanlestat
Old people unwelcome. Sims 1,2 .3, have elderly grey haired people on their box art. The new sims 4 doesn't. Why does maxis now hate old people?

Well the over-emphasis on "hawt trendy" Young Adults did kinda start with Sims 3 when it suddenly was a life stage, while totally lacking anything to distinguish itself from adult, toddlers-children were pretty much completely ignored (with some improvement once Generations came out) and a lot of the rhetoric and promotion around the game the player creating their (naturally hawt, trendy) YA Yoursim avatar to live their wish fulfillment life.

Sims 4 was just the natural, terrible, terrible evolution from that.

The only game that really emphasized playing Sims through their whole life time was Sims 2 (which makes sense since it was the one that introduced aging, I guess).

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Scholar
#23 Old 19th Jul 2019 at 12:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Drakortha
People will either accept something or they will not. Pushing the message in peoples faces will not make them accept it. In fact, it has the opposite effect for many.

I haven't watched the video, but on this subject in general - it's not really for the bigots. Straight-up, it's not about them. Representation is for the people who aren't normally represented. For instance take a transgender woman. Imagine how she felt growing up as a child, knowing that she felt like she was a girl, but the only idea of gender variance she ever saw in media was men in dresses played up for laughs. Perhaps - which is actually a very likely case - she didn't even know what transgender was, and the men in dresses joke was her only exposure to the idea of gender variance period.

She then grew up confused. When she finally learned what transgender was, it was something so shamed and mocked that she felt entirely like a freak.

That is just one scenario where representation is important.

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
For now, though, my decorative Bassoon conversion for TS4. =)
Theorist
#24 Old 19th Jul 2019 at 1:07 AM
If EA really gave a damn, they would have been discussing these issues long before now. They're exploiting people for cash and apparently it gets the seal of approval from many. Just what EA needs; another group of people physiologically manipulate. All they need to do now is toss some surprise mechanics into the game like Sims Mobile and they will have pretty much covered all of their bases.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#25 Old 19th Jul 2019 at 1:45 AM Last edited by Drakortha : 19th Jul 2019 at 2:04 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by bassoon_crazy
Imagine how she felt growing up as a child, knowing that she felt like she was a girl, but the only idea of gender variance she ever saw in media was men in dresses played up for laughs. period.

Okay? I can also cite examples of human sufferings in the world. But what's it got to do with The Sims?

Quote: Originally posted by bassoon_crazy
it's not really for the bigots.

You're right. It should be for Sims players first and foremost.
Locked thread
Page 1 of 8