Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd May 2019 at 9:24 PM
Default How often do your Sims get new outfits?
Do your Sims switch it up every week, season, or life-stage? Do they have outfits for specific holidays/celebrations? Maybe they change every single day?

My Sims get new outfits once per life-stage, starting in their teen years. I rarely bother buying kids new clothes (usually whatever the randomizer gives them is good enough for me, and they're not children long enough for me to care), and my Sims' toddlers never get changed out of their PJs anyway.

That means I have a ton of custom clothes for the younger stages that never see the light of day.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 3rd May 2019 at 9:36 PM
When an adult has about 5-10 days until they become an elder. Then I just apply some wrinkles and other various things to the face. They can still look glam and all but some style evolvement should've happened: maybe they dress even tackier

what does his name even mean?
Theorist
#3 Old 3rd May 2019 at 9:50 PM
Funny you should ask this as I was just thinkin 'bout this sorta thing earlier when I was out runnin errands. I play rotational and most times it's 2 to 3 days. As it stands right now I'll give them new clothes with Pes' pile of clothes mod, especially if they transition into a hideious outfit (I know I prob should default some of them and I might do that later when I get my zips in a better organized order)

Anyways, so I was thinkin that I might start changin their outfits with each new rotation. This would go for all ages as I play with longer seasons and longer ages. I don't know how well this will go over yet as I've only just thought of it and haven't tried it. If it gets to be to much maybe I'll just change their clothes for the season instead of rotation.
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 3rd May 2019 at 9:53 PM
Mine only get new outfits when they age up. It's such a hassle to take them down to the store. And I do have a modded dresser that allows them to buy clothes from home...but I never use it :P. For some reason I prefer sending them to the store. But I only end up doing that if they age up into something silly, like the scuba gear or whatever.
It annoys me how they can't age up into anything that isn't townified. Townifying clothes is something I'm too lazy to do. So I end up downloading things and then never actually using them because nobody ages up into them and I rarely create new sims.

I've got one or two things on MTS, but most of my stuff is on my main site here:
http://simcessories.blogspot.com/
(Now recruiting budding creators.)
Mad Poster
#5 Old 4th May 2019 at 12:38 AM
My story cims change outfits quite a lot (pretty much every chapter or new day). For regular gameplay it's mostly when they age up.
Alchemist
#6 Old 4th May 2019 at 1:11 AM
I seldom change any sim's clothing. the sims I do change; those would be at the beginning of the age.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 4th May 2019 at 1:29 AM
Lots. I change clothes based on age and season and my sims age rangers are extended
Infants get 2 outfits
toddlers 2-3 outfits
Kids+ get at least 3 outfits.
I also change them based on age. So young toddler days 1-4 wears a younger outfit than older toddlers 4-8 days. The younger toddler might wear a romper while an older toddler might be in a polo and shorts. I do the same with each age group. (PS. Toddler beds make them change from PJ's to everyday automatically so it's painless)
Young elders get adult shaped clothes
Older elders get elder shaped clothes
A few sims get new outfits daily or every few days. For example the sim who owns the major retail outlet would change into a new outfit daily.
I use a ton of CC clothes and never have 2 sims wearing the same exact thing(except perhaps kids athletic, bit short on that)

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
#8 Old 4th May 2019 at 2:57 AM
Mostly, my sims stay in what they get on aging. I have a lot of defaults so that I don’t hate whatever the game gives them. Sometimes I change their clothes to co-ordinating colours, so I can tell my sims apart easily from a distance. Especially if they all get the same hairdo or something.
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 4th May 2019 at 3:02 AM
That's a good question. I used not to change them at all except when ageing but lately I've been changing them according to season - it seems illogical for a Sim to be wearing a summer dress when it's snowing outside (even if their theoretical indoor heating is good). Occasionally, I get sick of a Sim wearing the same thing or something that just doesn't fit their personality or career, and send them off to one of the clothing stores. I don't do that regularly as it takes so long to load.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 4th May 2019 at 4:38 AM
I also decide a sims favourite colours based on what they age up into as well, so I might pick clothes or room deco based on that as well.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#11 Old 4th May 2019 at 10:10 AM
How often do my Sims get new outfits?

Provided they can afford it, whenever they/I want to. I like going shopping with my Sims. Veronaville has become a centre of the fashion industry, and lots of Sims are getting fashion-related jobs. How else could I explain the outrageous things that some of my Sims wear? Even in my other 'hoods Sims like to follow Veronaville fashion.

Some of my Sims change their clothes very frequently. Andrew likes to wear "sensible" clothes to school (shirt and tie with grey or black shorts) but changes into something "sexier" when he gets home. I think he has more clothes than any of my other Sims.

I play with aging off so my Sims rarely age up. I treat the things they age up into as the clothes their relatives and friends gave them for their birthday. If they've got any money at all, they'll then go into town and buy clothes that they/I like.

See you at Veronaville Fashion Week.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Theorist
#12 Old 4th May 2019 at 11:33 AM
I say again I wish that Sims 2 had the options of assigning multiple outfits to each Sim that they then randomly cycle through each day.

As the system stands I don't change their outfits very often. I will change them with the clothing tool right after they age up to get them out of the (probably awful) clothes the game randomly slapped onto them. After that I never change toddler or children's clothes.
Teenagers and Adults sometimes change clothes according to the various fashions that exist in the neighbourhood (often copying the styles of famous Sims) like actors and musicians. Teenage Sims also sometimes adopt fashions from their friends.
Adult Sims, meanwhile will change their wardrobe and hair at least 3 times. I used Inge's configurable aging mod to make the Adult lifestage last for 39 days (at the cost of shaving of 10 days of the Elder stage) and I use clothing and hair to divide that into young adulthood 39-29 to 25 days, "regular adulthood" 29/25 days-10 days and "Middle Age" 10-Elderhood. And each time the Sim enters a new "phase" of adulthood they get a makeover.
With adults in particular I also reflect career changes and career advancement by giving them new outfits or when some important or traumatic event happens in their lives. One Sim was resurrected from the dead and now he's still wearing his funeral suit. I decided I'd give him new clothes if he rolls a wish to buy some, but so far he hasn't.

And finally I usually give them new clothes if they roll the want for purchasing new clothes.

Does anybody know what influences the wish for new clothes btw? I know some Aspirations roll it more often than others, but I'm pretty sure I've seen it in every aspiration.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Inventor
#13 Old 4th May 2019 at 2:38 PM
It varies pretty widely. Some sims will live their lives with whatever they age up into. Others might get new clothes if I feel what they have is a little too extreme for hot or cold weather, or if what they age into doesn't fit them. Sometimes, they might get a new outfit if they've made it to a certain level of their career. Other times, it might be they simply want new clothes. I'd say most of the time I tend to pick just one outfit per age and stick with it. At least clothes shopping in the game is far less annoying than it is in real life! I use Monique computers so I don't even have to send a sim off their home lot if I don't want to (though I have built a few places they can go for it).
Test Subject
#14 Old 4th May 2019 at 2:42 PM
If i am playing same household for really long times (legacy etc) i change their outfits per season change (sommer outfit, fall/spring outfit, indoors winter outfit and rarely a holiday outfit). If i am playing the whole neighboorhood in rotation, I change outfits as they age or sometimes completely forget to change the outfits.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 4th May 2019 at 4:14 PM
I'm glad you asked. My sims change clothes every time they take a bath, because...eww.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Mad Poster
#16 Old 4th May 2019 at 5:08 PM
Not nearly enough, given the number of cc-outfits in my downloads folder
Theorist
#17 Old 4th May 2019 at 7:05 PM
Whenever I get tired of looking at what they're wearing or for seemingly practical purposes, like if a Sim is on vacation at the beach I'll likely switch up their outfits.

It's not that I don't like shopping for their clothes (I actually much prefer TS2's wardrobe system over TS3's) but I'm just too dad-blamed lazy most of the time to do it.
Link Ninja
#18 Old 4th May 2019 at 9:14 PM
Very, very often. My cc is mostly clothes because they need differing wardrobes.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Field Researcher
#19 Old 6th May 2019 at 9:10 AM
In my main story hood, I've taken to changing clothes once per season. Some long sleeves as autumn comes, then for winter maybe one of the cosy sweaters I love downloading, and then sleeveless tops and maybe shorts as the weather warms up again.

The farmers in the semi-historical hood don't get changes of clothes other than when they age up. They're outdoors most of the time, they aren't as sensitive to cold as city dwellers - and they can put on raincoats if the weather's so miserable even they take notice of it. I have a farmer who grew up from teen to adult in the same jeans and singlet she'd always worn, because she doesn't have fashion on her mind at all.
Test Subject
#20 Old 6th May 2019 at 10:38 AM
Like a lot of simmers here, mine only change clothes upon aging up, except often as my adult sims get older and their families grow they lose their hair, get easier to maintain styles, and wear more comfortable and conservative clothes.

Not always though! Dawn Parker is four days from aging into an elder and still wears her leopard print dress, heels and red lipstick. Of course.

I like the idea of elders changing clothes as they get older too. But the elder clothes are drab enough as it is! I might need more defaults!
Field Researcher
#21 Old 6th May 2019 at 3:52 PM
I actually always keep the outfit the sim ages up in, but I do have defaults so it doesn't look horrible. I only buy them new clothes whenever they have a want for it.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 6th May 2019 at 9:20 PM
Hmm. Some sims have had a few differnet looks. Others not so much. I guess when I get bored, when they're dressed wildly inappropriately for a season (e.g. short-shorts and a tank top in winter), have a younger sibling of the same life-stage (so it's clear which is older and which is younger - the younger will dress more childish and the older would look more grown up) or if I download something that I think would suit them better than what they're already wearing. Most sims keep with the same outfit throughout their life-stage though, apart from teens who usually get a slight make-over when they reach independent-teen aged.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Mad Poster
#23 Old 6th May 2019 at 10:38 PM
Whenever they age up because they tend to age up into stupid or ugly choices.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Test Subject
#24 Old 7th May 2019 at 5:02 PM
Wayyyy too infrequently, hahaha.

I always change my Sims' outfits whenever they age up because usually they age up into something I don't like. Then halfway through their life stages, Teens, Young Adults, Adults, and Elders almost always change their appearances in some way. Female Sims may start to wear makeup / change their makeup, get a haircut, or get a new outfit. Male Sims usually grow or change their facial hair. Almost everyone gets glasses either as they transition into the second half of Adulthood or when they become Elders.

I find that this process helps me identify which Sims are older than other Sims in their life stage while giving me something different to look at as I play them.
Theorist
#25 Old 7th May 2019 at 5:37 PM
Every single day that they are played. I even change the clothing of sims that are not being played if they visit the active household more than once in a rotation.

Yeah...I'm that kind of simmer. *laughs*

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Page 1 of 2