Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Mar 2019 at 5:25 AM Last edited by PwPrntd : 15th Mar 2019 at 7:05 AM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Seasons
Default Riverview in limbo? Can't uninstall or install [SOLVED]
My game wouldn't load today. This happened before, and it turned out the world (the sim world, not the real life one) had disappeared. That time, I reinstalled the world and all was well.

Since I was on the main menu screen, I told it I wanted to start a new game. I skimmed through the list of worlds, and Riverview is gone.

Back on the launcher, it says that Riverview is installed. It's not in my installed worlds folder.
I tried to reinstall it, but was told that it's already installed.
I tried to uninstall it so I could install a new copy. It says it can't uninstall something with dependents. I moved my saved games folder to the desktop, but it didn't help.
What depends on a world? I usually have to uninstall a world before I can uninstall cc. I searched for help with this, and that was the case with everything I found. I didn't see anything about a world having dependents.

I'm going through Sims withdrawal! I need to get Riverview back so I can play my game! My active family has 3 pregnant females. They need me. (or I need them)

What should I do?
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 14th Mar 2019 at 8:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
I manually installed Riverview into my WA "game" folder under "The Sims 3 World Adventures\GameData\Shared\NonPackaged\Worlds"

How did you do that? I've only installed it through the launcher. I don't have a file for it in InstalledWorlds.

I don't have a World Adventures folder. I have one called Sims3\WorldCaches. It has Riverview_objects and Riverview_sims.

I do have an .nhd file and a ExportDB file in my save game folder. Can I do something with them? If I drop the .nhd into another game, will I be able have someone visit Riverview (with NRaas Traveler), then switch to my legacy family?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 14th Mar 2019 at 8:42 AM
Do you have WA?

I manually installed Riverview into my WA "game" folder under "The Sims 3 World Adventures\GameData\Shared\NonPackaged\Worlds"

If you don't have WA, it probably goes under "The Sims 3\GameData\Shared\NonPackaged\Worlds"

I found TheSims3>EP08>GameData>Shared>NonPackaged. There's a library folder in it, but not a worlds folder.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 14th Mar 2019 at 6:21 PM
Sims3 > GameData > Shared > NonPackaged > Worlds only contains Sunset Valley.

Is this folder for worlds from EA? I got rid of Midnight Hollow. Barnacle Bay should be there, though, along with Riverview. So I looked for Barnacle Bay. The launcher says it's installed, but it's not in any folder and doesn't show up on the world list in the main menu. I uninstalled it, and it said it was successful. (Nothing about dependents, but I don't think I've ever saved a visit to that world.) I tried to install a fresh download of it, but it told me it was already installed.

[I noticed that on the downloads tab of the launcher, it shows Riverview as a world and Barnacle Bay as an object. Odd, but probably nothing to do with my problem.]

Delphy's Multi Installer extracted a bunch of package files from the Riverview Sim3Pack, but no world files. Same with the Barnacle Bay pack.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 14th Mar 2019 at 6:30 PM
Oooookkkaaayyyy... I think I need to reinstall the base game.

I didn't think the .nhd file would help anything. They wouldn't be able to travel to a world that didn't exist, even if there's an .nhd file in the folder. But I decided to try it anyway. I loaded an old save from a different world, and told them to travel. Turns out that Traveler isn't working. In fact, none of my NRaas mods are even showing up on the in-game computer. It looks like hair and clothing mods are working, but not NRaas.

I'm going to find a page to walk me through a total reinstall, to make sure I do it right. I hope it will fix all of my Sim problems. And that I'll be able to play my same games. I'm only on the 7th generation, but I put a lot of time and work into that town and family!
Mad Poster
#9 Old 15th Mar 2019 at 4:37 AM
If it's not too late, I would suggest pulling your TS3 user game folder in its entirety out of your Documents folder thus letting the game spawn a new one on its next launch, then see if you can get Riverview installed properly on that. If so, then you could set about getting your content, other store and custom worlds, mods with the Framework redone, and ultimately your saved games copied back into the new hopefully better working game folder.

Sometimes TS3 user game folders just "go bad" and reinstalling the game program(s) does not fix that.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 15th Mar 2019 at 7:03 AM
Default Resetting TS3
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
If it's not too late, I would suggest pulling your TS3 user game folder in its entirety out of your Documents folder thus letting the game spawn a new one on its next launch, then see if you can get Riverview installed properly on that. If so, then you could set about getting your content, other store and custom worlds, mods with the Framework redone, and ultimately your saved games copied back into the new hopefully better working game folder.

Sometimes TS3 user game folders just "go bad" and reinstalling the game program(s) does not fix that.

I found a page on Crinrict's blog about resetting TS3 to factory standards. It's just what you describe. Riverview and Barnacle Bay installed just fine. Then I installed some worlds and lots through the launcher.

While I'm at it, I'm cleaning up my cc. I downloaded most of it before I discovered S3PE, CC Magic and Delphy's mods. I'm taking the time now to weed, scan, merge, etc. As much as I want to get back to my game(s), I'm determined to take care of this first.

I've been reading about Sim3Pack files and package files, how to extract package files from packs, how to merge packages, etc. Igazor, I saw comments from you that sounded like you didn't merge files. Most of those pages are 8-10 years old. Do you do it now? I'm confused about what can be merged. Some sites said to never merge mods. Others said it's ok, but don't merge scripting and core mods. What's safe to do? It looks like there were issues with counters and patterns, but they've been fixed now. I'm debating about extracting and merging my cc from tsr and ats. It would be tedious, but doing the ats stuff would be easier on the launcher. I like tsr's cc manager, so I may just leave that stuff alone. But then I can't scan the files when I don't actually download them. Oh, bother!

Thanks for the help. I guess I should mark this as solved, huh?

BTW--You CAN teach an old dog new tricks! I didn't start playing Sims 3 until I was 59 years old! :D
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 15th Mar 2019 at 8:31 AM
@PwPrntd
I am not 100 % sure if I do it right, but I merge everything, BUT nraas errortrap and Pet sliders (some of them won't show up if merged). I have got a merged file for the other nraas mods, one for general mods, one file for default clothes and non dr, blahblah. You get what i mean^^ and everything works fine and shows up.
And another thing: I made ALL packs I downloaded from around the sims (so basically everything xD) and a lot of stuff from tsr into packages (it took weeks, because I am crazy and renamend/recategorized everything...). My tsr file is under 1 gb, so i didn't split it. but for ats content, i splitted it in 3 parts so non of my packages break the 1 gb limit (i don't know anymore if I read somewhere to not make a file over 1 gb or if it's just me being neurotic ^^).

Have a nice day everyone <3
Mad Poster
#13 Old 15th Mar 2019 at 4:11 PM
so after you install riverview, was it in your installed world folder? I'm curious why mine is in the WA folder.

Possibly you put it there to change the way in which the world caches while working with your Ramdisks?

Quote: Originally posted by PwPrntd
Igazor, I saw comments from you that sounded like you didn't merge files. Most of those pages are 8-10 years old. Do you do it now? I'm confused about what can be merged. Some sites said to never merge mods. Others said it's ok, but don't merge scripting and core mods. What's safe to do? It looks like there were issues with counters and patterns, but they've been fixed now.

Core Mods (there are only six in popular usage) like ErrorTrap should never be merged. I do not merge Script Mods either, Tuning Mods should be okay but then it becomes painful to remove or update them should the need arise. Opinions seems to remain divided on other forms of content, the counters and patterns issues do sound familiar.

There was a time when I never merged content at all so that might have been what I was saying back then, but I reached a tipping point where there was clearly a benefit to begin doing so. I keep very careful track of what content is in which merged package by keeping copies of each of the single package files in parallel subfolders off to the side, one subfolder for each merged package. I've never been able to get CCMagic to work properly for me, user error I'm sure, and gave up after several tries but can see why it has a loyal following for those who prefer that route.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 23rd Mar 2019 at 5:50 AM
This game cracks me up sometimes! (Actually, quite often.)

As I'm adding my cc back in, I do frequent checks. I usually just open a test family on Builder Island. But sometimes, for comic relief, I open a copy of my main game to see what substitutions have been made for cc I haven't put back in.

I don't know why it won't always replace missing clothing. My poor kids come home from school wearing shirts and underwear. No pants or shoes. EA defaults would be better than nothing!

Obviously, the game is smarter than I am. It thinks a crock of cooking utensils looks better in the garden than a cute turtle figurine.
What should replace douglasveiga's ferris wheel? A mounted fish, of course! Hanging in mid-air!
Best of all is the cemetery. I had lots of pretty trees in it. They (or maybe the flowers) have been replaced by lots of welcome signs.
Field Researcher
#16 Old 25th Mar 2019 at 5:43 AM
Default Same thing happened to me
Oddly, this just happened to me, too. I was checking out some of the worlds I don't play often and couldn't find Riverview in the menu, as welll as a few others. I pulled the packs out and put them in "Downloads" and opened Launcher. Lo and behold, all 6 worlds were said to be installed yet none of them were in the "Installed Worlds" folder! I tried to install anyway and all 6 didn't install, nor did they show up in the folder.

My next step was to uninstall. Riverview returned the message that it couldn't be uninstalled because of dependents. I went back into Launcher and it showed that 4 of the 6, including Riverview, were still installed! (Yet none were in the "Installed Worlds" folder".) Went ahead and installed all 6 again. I checked the "Installed Worlds" folder and, miracles of miracles, 5 of those worlds were now in that folder! (Naturally, Riverview wasn't there.)

Next I did a search on my PC. (I installed my game via Origin so my folders are different.) I didn't find it in Origin or in my Docs folder. Where I eventually found it was in a folder I keep on the desktop of stuff I'm moving around in the S3. In that folder, I had another where I'd kept "My Documents" Sims 3 folder that I'd pulled out a while back looking for an issue. In that folder, and in the "Installed Worlds" file, was a copy of "Riverview.world". I popped it into the active Sims 3 game folder and, finally, I had the world. (Just as an aside, I forgot how hideous the buildings were in this world. I've been playing a Riverview customized downloaded world and now even happier about it!)

Anyway, if you haven't done anything, like reinstall everything, or pulled out that folder, which means reinstalling your Sims3packs, I have that file and I could send you a copy. I can't imagine it would violate anything because (a) it's a free download, and (b) you can't do anything with it unless you have the rest (at least that seems right). If your problem is just like mine, this should get you up and running - fingers crossed.

Let me know and good luck!
Field Researcher
#17 Old 25th Mar 2019 at 5:47 AM
Default Just curious
I think with CC Magic, you don't have to merge packages etc... manually, it does it for you.

so after you install riverview, was it in your installed world folder? I'm curious why mine is in the WA folder.

Just curious...can you open Riverview in-game at the Neighborhood selection screen? Like I said, my situation is a bit different because the Base/EPs/SPs are installed through Origin (in an Origin folder, not Electronic Arts) but the "extra" worlds are installed through the Launcher.
Field Researcher
#19 Old 2nd Apr 2019 at 7:07 PM
My riverview shows up just like any other custom world, in the in game menu or travel, etc...

I never actually tried putting the world file in the install folder, I figure it would be the same as it is just a world file

Who cares, as long as it works!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#20 Old 5th Apr 2019 at 6:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Fluse
(it took weeks, because I am crazy and renamend/recategorized everything...) <3

You're not alone. I've been working on it for 3 weeks now. It seemed like a good time to do it. I'm crazy enough that I actually searched to find the names of modders that weren't on the files. (TSR is really bad about that.) And of course, while I was there, I had to download more cc. Except I now rename files as soon as I download them. I also saved .jpgs of every hair, clothing and pattern. Since the catalog doesn't have info with them, it makes it easier to find and delete stuff I decide not to keep.

I have new folders for the categories I'm dividing stuff into. I also have files called "to extract," "to dashboard," "OK according to dashboard," "merged with s3pe," "KEEP for sims," and "TESTING" (in the sims folder). And I wonder why it's taking forever to finish!

...the counters and patterns issues do sound familiar.

I thought I had read that those issues had been fixed. Maybe I just happen to have a bunch of patterns from before the fix. Luckily, I found a tutorial on how to fix those files so they can be merged with the other. The counters are a different matter. None of the ones I merged worked right afterward. The colors went wonky as soon as they got near each other. I ended up installing them through the launcher.

I keep very careful track of what content is in which merged package by keeping copies of each of the single package files in parallel subfolders off to the side, one subfolder for each merged package.

As you can see by my previous comment, I'm a bit OCD. So of course I have a folder to match each of my merge files. When I needed to pull out patterns and counters, I just deleted the old merge file and made a new one. I'm sure these folders are more useful than the other new ones I created.

I've never been able to get CCMagic to work properly for me, user error I'm sure, and gave up after several tries but can see why it has a loyal following for those who prefer that route.

Yeah, I tried it before I braved s3pe. It seemed so intuitive, and I happily used it to divide up my clothing. But you have to use the play button on it, rather than on the launcher, and it wouldn't work for me. That's OK. I'm slowly learning more of what I can do with s3pe, like saving icons and adjusting clothing so townies aren't running around in lab coats and swim suits. It's also what I used to fix the patterns so they could be merged.

Quote: Originally posted by kslibra
Oddly, this just happened to me, too... I have that file and I could send you a copy.

Really?! What's up with Riverview?! This is the second time mine disappeared. I got it reinstalled now, so I don't need your file. (Thank you for offering.) Maybe I should save a copy of it for when this happens again!