Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Mar 2019 at 8:12 AM
Default Finally gave WA a chance. Glad I did.
Was debating whether to put this in an existing thread, but I really wanted to share this and give my experience.

Some of you might recall a post I made a while back about how WA wasn't really my cup of tea, and wasn't really one of my highly regarded packs. After seeing TS4's take on "adventures" with JA and the recent StrangerVille debacle, I decided to really give WA a try for the first time. Admittedly, I never even gave it much of a chance in the first place. I've had it since it was released, you see, and hardly ever touched the features that came with it except one or two things. Yeah, I could've just uninstalled it but like I said there were some things I got use out of. My reason for never trying it is somewhat petty. This was the first pack released for TS3, and right off the bat I could tell that this was going to be the "Vacation" pack and that was that. That's what we were getting for TS3's run and nothing else (which we eventually did somewhat with IP, in a different take anyway.) So, you could say that basically my entire reasoning for not trying it out was out of spite. This was also when I was somewhat bitter thinking that the Sims on the verge of becoming a "Lite-RPG" instead of the open ended sandbox gameplay I was used to.

Anyway, I can safely say that my opinion of the pack has changed dramatically. I have to say that I feel foolish for taking this long to really enjoy what it has to offer. I've spent the entire weekend so far playing through it, and amazingly nothing feels repetitive. Even though it's not the true Vacation style pack I had wanted, I can see now that it was never created to be such in the first place, which I think is what was holding me back in the first place. It took a familiar concept and did something new, which I can appreciate. And even if I have my mind set to have a regular vacation with a particular household, Traveler fulfills on that end.

So, moral of the story: Really don't judge a book by its cover. It could take you almost ten years to realize that you enjoyed what was inside all along.

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Advertisement
Inventor
#3 Old 10th Mar 2019 at 9:20 AM
World Adventures is so much fun! As a Tomb Raider fan, this was definitely made for people like me who love adventures and exotic places. I'm also a big fan of ancient Egyptian culture, so having the opportunity to explore the pyramids, the Sphinx, etc. was like a dream come true. I also enjoy all the side activites like martial arts, nectar making, snake charming, photography (I've never completed all photography challenges) and learning new recipes, songs and greetings. Like you said, it wasn't meant to be a vacation pack but an adventure pack, although you can remodel Egypt, China or France to have more interesting lots and simply go on vacation.

I'm glad you gave it a try. Thank God, it's nothing like JA and SV. It isn't linear and repetitive, but challenging and dynamic. You can also make your own tombs, which I appreciate since it has allowed me to really cool things like secret rooms and even crazy stuff like turning all lights red with a lever. For me, it really improved the sandbox experience since it gave me tools to create my own triggers, which is something I always wanted to do in The Sims 3. The roof is the limit. There was a time I wanted to live in a community lot I owned, but I didn't want customers and visitor to go to the apartment on the upper floor, so I made it so the door is locked by default, and it only opens when I pull a lever.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#4 Old 10th Mar 2019 at 9:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Naus Allien
Thank God, it's nothing like JA and SV. It isn't linear and repetitive, but challenging and dynamic. You can also make your own tombs

That's the big takeaway right there. New concepts are always great when executed properly, but the core of The Sims is creativity. It should be, as you said, dynamic and interesting and leave room for you to take what they've given you and do/create nearly anything you want with the new content. Of which JA and SV offer neither, thus they end up being shallow parts of a whole that don't even come close to what WA offers.

Mad Poster
#5 Old 10th Mar 2019 at 9:48 AM
I think I mentioned this on a similar thread recently, but the problem so many had with WA is that it was the first EP and players felt that its version of linear play, which is totally optional anyway, was going to set the tone for the ones to follow (which it did not). And so many players were at the time still adjusting to TS3 itself, missing some things that TS2 had to offer. If WA had been released perhaps after Ambitions or even better after Late Night, I think it would have been received better than it originally was.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 10th Mar 2019 at 10:43 AM
Yeah, as a 1st EP I wasn't exited as there were about a hundred more important features missing and WA was what they decided to give us first. I remember the tombs very okay but the game was so buggy. I can't remember when did Twallan release his supercomputer mod and how long it took for me to hear about it, but returning from holidays was scary as you didn't always know if you sim became permanently invisible.

Now, I do enjoy replaying the tombs. I do it every couple years. But even better are the tombs that other players make. There's a couple really nice ones here at MTS. TS3 is quite easy to play nowadays cos powerful mods (nraas) but back in the day, nope!
Scholar
#7 Old 10th Mar 2019 at 1:33 PM
I love that EP. For a long time I only played base game + WA, without mods. I never play without WA and really like the skills that come with them. Martial Arts is a lot of fun, especially if you also have mods so you don't have to travel to china for the tournaments. And I never play a farmer family without one family member being a nectar maker. I wish all expansion packs were this big.
Scholar
#8 Old 10th Mar 2019 at 2:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Naus Allien
World Adventures is so much fun! As a Tomb Raider fan, this was definitely made for people like me who love adventures and exotic places. I'm also a big fan of ancient Egyptian culture, so having the opportunity to explore the pyramids, the Sphinx, etc. was like a dream come true. I also enjoy all the side activites like martial arts, nectar making, snake charming, photography (I've never completed all photography challenges) and learning new recipes, songs and greetings. Like you said, it wasn't meant to be a vacation pack but an adventure pack, although you can remodel Egypt, China or France to have more interesting lots and simply go on vacation.

Man, this sounds really good... I've been wondering if I should get WA. I think it (and ITF) are the only EPs I didn't get for Sims 3, since I wasn't much one for vacation or tomb exploring. But other things you can do without vacationing sounds really fun. I might get that EP...
Forum Resident
#9 Old 10th Mar 2019 at 4:12 PM
Yes! Like I said in the TS4 forum, it took me years to buy WA because I was completely opposed to the concept. But now I love so much about it: photography, nectar making, vacations (even though I've never done the tombs/missions and have no interest in that), the Asian/French/Egyptian culture traits, etc.
Field Researcher
#10 Old 10th Mar 2019 at 5:50 PM
@CatMuto You should do it, it gives you a nice break from regular gameplay. Who knows, maybe you will enjoy building your own tombs. Re ITF, I don't care for the gameplay but I like some of the objects so that's how I justify having it installed.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 10th Mar 2019 at 6:27 PM
I was stunned, initially, how big this pack is. Vacation and Bon Voyage did the 3 worlds thing as well but I found those worlds small, generic and unappealing. WA's worlds are large and detailed, visually interesting, diverse, culturally believable, and generally well put together. In terms of scope it's one of the biggest EPs of any Sims game. Doesn't mean it doesn't have its fair share of shortcomings, but I think it's a tremendous first expansion. I am happy though, and I think LGR touched opon this in his original review of WA, that they didn't do anything more with the RPG elements of TS3. That's something I think they were planning to expand a lot, and the tomb raiding element is actually not poorly implemented at all, but I'm glad they abandoned the idea in later packs.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Field Researcher
#12 Old 10th Mar 2019 at 6:46 PM
One thing I have found out about playing WA: a dedicated adventurer will basically be on their own economic scale from the rest of the world because of how easy it is to rack up huge amounts of cash.

For example, when you start getting further into China, you will get the tomb for Dong Huo's treasure. I think the last time I was there, I looted at least $3000 in money bags/artifacts/wine. It was somewhat long and had a large amount of traps so it was fairly balanced. However, now whenever I visit China, most of those treasures respawn but the traps don't. That means that I can get another $3k in a few (in game) hours.

That's not to mention bringing home a chunk of tiberium from Egypt. One chunk of ore can easily give $30,000 profit in 24 hours (more if you have Supernatural since you can cut it for free, the extra gem dust also turns into large spires in 24 hours, and all gems sell for way more at the elixir shop).

I think the easiest way to get money is to wait until you get visa level 3 in any world and buy one of the Sultan's Tabernacle tents. You can then turn around and sell them for $50,000. For the life of me I have no idea why EA made them have such a high price when you get coins for free.

This isn't a complaint per say (since doing the adventures is not mandatory when you visit a world and you don't need to pick up tiberium unless you are just wanting to have collected every gem) but it's something to keep in mind.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#13 Old 10th Mar 2019 at 6:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AGuyCalledPi
WA's worlds are large and detailed, visually interesting, diverse, culturally believable, and generally well put together.

That's actually something else I forgot to mention in my initial post. I've always appreciated TS3's visuals, but man those three worlds are stunning. My favorite is Champs Les Sims. I dare any of the "TS3 is ugly" crowd to play in that world for ten minutes and tell me with a straight face that this game is ugly.

Inventor
#14 Old 10th Mar 2019 at 7:25 PM
I thought I'd share some screenshots of WA (And yes, world design is superb):

Field Researcher
#16 Old 11th Mar 2019 at 1:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
I think I mentioned this on a similar thread recently, but the problem so many had with WA is that it was the first EP and players felt that its version of linear play, which is totally optional anyway, was going to set the tone for the ones to follow (which it did not). And so many players were at the time still adjusting to TS3 itself, missing some things that TS2 had to offer. If WA had been released perhaps after Ambitions or even better after Late Night, I think it would have been received better than it originally was.

I think this might very well be true. Plus the fact, like the OP says, people were expecting a vacation pack, which it is not (in the first place).

Have fun OP! I’ve been playing the pack for 9 years now with 6 adventurers throughout the years and I’m still not tired of it.
Theorist
#17 Old 11th Mar 2019 at 2:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mithrak_nl
I love that EP. For a long time I only played base game + WA, without mods.

Haha. Same here, sort of. As a rule, I don't mod a game thats still receiving updates. I made an exception for NRaas mods cos I knew they were good to be updated but many mods wont be updated for the final patch so I just wait. I waited 6 years with Skyrim, and I'm still waiting with GTA5. Sorry, slightly off-topic there.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Mad Poster
#18 Old 11th Mar 2019 at 4:48 AM Last edited by jje1000 : 11th Mar 2019 at 5:01 AM.
My main complaint with the pack is it sometimes feels like it presents too much of a 'Disneyland'-perspective of the places it visits (i.e. Egyptians mostly don't live like the way they do in Al-Simhara, nor do the Chinese), and that it's too focused on 1930-style adventuring/pillaging, whereas it could have done well with more of the vacationing and cultural learning aspect involved.

The objects are also sort of awkward and single-use compared to some of the things that came down the road later on- it would have been great if the build-buy sets were more general-use so that we wouldn't get as much basegame content in the builds. The builds and CAS items are also not particularly great or culturally accurate to the places they reference (i.e. Qing-era queues in a modern China), but these sorts of things I can let slide as players are free to fix those things.

That being said, it's still probably one of the packs that genuinely presents culture as being more than an aesthetic, which is something that the sims series is particularly guity of (just look at San Myshuno!)
Mad Poster
#19 Old 11th Mar 2019 at 5:14 AM
Agreed, but I can accept it in the context of a semi-casual video game. Where I give WA the benefit of the doubt, San Myshuno is just a little too much for me. It doesn't convincingly portray any culture, or mix of, cultures.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#20 Old 11th Mar 2019 at 8:53 AM
I loved it at release and still do. Have done every tomb. I send Sims to those locations still, especially to get married there.

My current Sims are in China now with the daughter and finally got hitched there at the springs.

One thing that cracks me up is when a car is in their inventory. One Sim was racing all over China in her sports car. Am sure the locals did not appreciate that! LOL
Mad Poster
#21 Old 11th Mar 2019 at 2:59 PM
Did Jungle Adventure learn from this expect? I would expect they're to be a fair balance in next entry to maintain both, the vacationing and adventuring aspects. *insert Thanos meme: "Perfectly balanced... As all things should be*

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Theorist
#22 Old 11th Mar 2019 at 4:48 PM
^ ^ You have got to be kidding me, right?
EA: (Releases World Adventures)
Community: But where's the add-your-own-destination option! WTF?
EA: Ah ok (Releases Jungle Adventure)

The Ts5 equivalent will probably shrink it down to a "visit your friends house" type scenario.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Mad Poster
#23 Old 11th Mar 2019 at 8:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tizerist
The Ts5 equivalent will probably shrink it down to a "visit your friends house" type scenario.

Perhaps the entire submarine adventure one has in a bathtub (Generations) has not been fully expanded upon yet?
Field Researcher
#24 Old 13th Mar 2019 at 12:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
My main complaint with the pack is it sometimes feels like it presents too much of a 'Disneyland'-perspective of the places it visits (i.e. Egyptians mostly don't live like the way they do in Al-Simhara, nor do the Chinese), and that it's too focused on 1930-style adventuring/pillaging, whereas it could have done well with more of the vacationing and cultural learning aspect involved.

The objects are also sort of awkward and single-use compared to some of the things that came down the road later on- it would have been great if the build-buy sets were more general-use so that we wouldn't get as much basegame content in the builds. The builds and CAS items are also not particularly great or culturally accurate to the places they reference (i.e. Qing-era queues in a modern China), but these sorts of things I can let slide as players are free to fix those things.

That being said, it's still probably one of the packs that genuinely presents culture as being more than an aesthetic, which is something that the sims series is particularly guity of (just look at San Myshuno!)

Good observation, though in fact for me that's one of the aspects I do love. The way I enjoy Indiana Jones movies. JA has the cultural learning thing (for sims) and to be honest that for me adds nothing.
Page 1 of 2