Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Jan 2019 at 7:46 PM
Default Editing Client_CASModifierTuning files
Is it possible to add custom CAS modifiers to the Client_CASModifierTunings to affect how they are applied to different ages? If so, how? Does the game even use these files anymore?

This is me making yet another attempt to find a way to make shorter Teens. There are a few good height sliders out there now in the modding community and I was trying to see if it is possible to reference them in the Client_CASModifierTuning _Teen files and get the game to apply them automatically.
As I am posting here, I obviously have been met with no success. Before going any further I thought I best check if I am doing something wrong or if it is actually possible to begin with.

As a test, just to see if alterations made to the file would actually be picked up by the game at all, I set the Offset value of the narrow shoulders modifier to 0 from 0.5 in the hopes that I would see Teens' shoulders NOT getting narrower compared to Adults. This didn't seem to have any effect at all though so I am not hopeful.

I have messaged Shimrod101 via PM as they have worked with these files to create a modifier bug fix in the past, however I am aware that they have retired from modding and don't come online too often so that's why I'm asking here as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 14th Jan 2019 at 6:35 AM
I created the first height slider mod, and I did shorter teens exactly this way, by adding the casmodifier for the height and then limiting it for teens.

Unfortunately though, it seems that custom cas modifiers broke at some point. I posted about the bug on the official modding forums, and they said nothing was broken.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 14th Jan 2019 at 5:39 PM
At least you got a response. I asked on the official forums as well, in the tech and modding section, and got nothing. It seems those forums used to be very helpful with SimGuruModSquad often chiming in with help and advice. I've not seen that happen that often lately.

Do you have any idea why alterations made to the existing modifiers within the tuning would have no effect, as with my shoulder test example? That's an EA modifier. All I did was alter the value.

Forum Resident
#4 Old 14th Jan 2019 at 8:53 PM
Have you edited the corresponding SimData resource? Other than that, I have no idea why it's not working.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 14th Jan 2019 at 11:56 PM
Yep. Adding the tuning to a package via Studio adds both the XML and the DATA resources so I just altered the same Offset value of 0.5 to 0 on the narrow shoulders modifier in both resources.
I might give it another go to make sure I didn't mess up anyway.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 15th Jan 2019 at 9:21 PM
Well I had another go and got nothing.
I created a blank package using Studio and extracted the client_casmodifiertuning_teen into the package.
In the tuning resource I found the entry for narrow shoulders and removed the Offset information
In the Sim Data resource I located the entry for narrow shoulders using a decimalised hash of the modifier name and set the offset value to 0.
With this package in my mods folder I started a new game and in CAS I switched between adult and teen Sims to observe the shoulders. With both male and female teens, their shoulders still got narrower when aged down from an adult Sim.
My package is here if you want to check what I did. http://www.simfileshare.net/download/926651/

Forum Resident
#7 Old 16th Jan 2019 at 7:58 AM
This is really strange. The file you sent worked perfectly fine in my game.

Here's your mod working fine. https://youtu.be/UI-2UuktvcI
Perhaps you have another mod conflicting?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 16th Jan 2019 at 11:46 AM Last edited by Menaceman44 : 16th Jan 2019 at 2:35 PM.
Thanks for that. I'll have to go and check now. As far as I was aware I didn't have any other mods that alter those files. I hope it is just a case of me forgetting about something I've downloaded previously. Thanks for taking the time to make the little video as well.

ETA: Yep. I had another mod conflicting. I haven't tracked it down yet but that's what it was. Sadly, it still seems as if the game is unable to utilise custom modifiers added to the list this way. They still have no effect.