Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Nov 2018 at 2:50 PM
Default TS4 texture converter for HQ mod - beta, testers needed
This tool resizes textures to be compatible with the HQ mod:

rle2 (diffuse and shadow) -> 2048x4096
rles (specular) -> 1024x2048

It's pretty basic at this point. Run the tool, select a package, wait for the resizing to complete, save the new package. I plan to add the ability to process all packages in a folder and check texture dimensions before resizing for pets compatibility, etc. Right now I just want to make sure the textures work and look okay.

Notes:

This should go without saying, but I strongly advise you to keep the original packages saved just in case.
Should work on HUMAN CAS parts and skintones. Will NOT work correctly on pet CAS parts. I'll add pets compatibility later.
The tool will resize all rle2 and rles images found in the package you run it on, so please use it only on packages containing only human CAS parts or skintones. I don't think objects use rle but am not sure, and I think some UI textures are rle.

Please give feedback if you try it out! I don't use the HQ mod myself so I'm relying on people who do to test it.

Instructions:

Unzip, open the folder, and run TS4HQConverter.exe.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  TS4HQConverter_beta.zip (163.8 KB, 133 downloads) - View custom content

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 20th Nov 2018 at 3:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC

It's pretty basic at this point. Run the tool, select a package, wait for the resizing to complete, save the new package. I plan to add the ability to process all packages in a folder and check texture dimensions before resizing for pets compatibility, etc. Right now I just want to make sure the textures work and look okay.

Notes:

This should go without saying, but I strongly advise you to keep the original packages saved just in case.
Should work on HUMAN CAS parts and skintones. Will NOT work correctly on pet CAS parts. I'll add pets compatibility later.
The tool will resize all rle2 and rles images found in the package you run it on, so please use it only on packages containing only human CAS parts or skintones. I don't think objects use rle but am not sure, and I think some UI textures are rle.

Please give feedback if you try it out! I don't use the HQ mod myself so I'm relying on people who do to test it.

Instructions:

Hi Cmar, I loved that you made these tools that I had been waiting for a long time. But the specular rle needs to be in the diffuse and shadow dimensions to work properly.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Nov 2018 at 4:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by thiagomichel
Hi Cmar, I loved that you made these tools that I had been waiting for a long time. But the specular rle needs to be in the diffuse and shadow dimensions to work properly.

According to the creator of the HQ mod the specular should be half the dimensions of the diffuse and shadow. Are you saying that's wrong or am I not understanding you?

http://alf-si.tumblr.com/HQ_ts4_English

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Test Subject
#4 Old 20th Nov 2018 at 4:44 PM

for me an error appears when trying to convert.
Test Subject
#5 Old 20th Nov 2018 at 4:46 PM
According to the creator of the HQ mod the specular should be half the dimensions of the diffuse and shadow. Are you saying that's wrong or am I not understanding you?

for me, leave the specular in the dimensions 1024x2048, my sim turns black.
Test Subject
#6 Old 20th Nov 2018 at 4:48 PM

if it is the specular of the game itself, do not need to resize, but if it is a new specular, it needs is in dimensions hq 2048x4096
Test Subject
#7 Old 20th Nov 2018 at 4:49 PM
Hi Cmar. I tested this amazing tool and it works great! I tested with various types of CC like hair, shoes, accessories and clothes and they all look great in the game, and another good thing is that it converts .packge merged. I tried to merge 5 .packages with 105 textures in total and it worked. But ... there is only one problem with hair, it's not possible to change color. I only have this problem with the swatches. But it's really good, thank you! ♥
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#8 Old 20th Nov 2018 at 5:49 PM

for me an error appears when trying to convert.

That error is saying your computer is out of memory. You can try closing as many other programs as possible.

if it is the specular of the game itself, do not need to resize, but if it is a new specular, it needs is in dimensions hq 2048x4096

I searched and haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else and the few CC CAS parts I've found and downloaded either have no specular or one that's at the non-HQ 512x1024 size, so IMO it's possible your sims turning black is not caused by this. However, in the next version I'll make the dimensions adjustable by the user.

Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#9 Old 20th Nov 2018 at 5:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by iconic
Hi Cmar. I tested this amazing tool and it works great! I tested with various types of CC like hair, shoes, accessories and clothes and they all look great in the game, and another good thing is that it converts .packge merged. I tried to merge 5 .packages with 105 textures in total and it worked. But ... there is only one problem with hair, it's not possible to change color. I only have this problem with the swatches. But it's really good, thank you! ♥

Thanks!

If your hair swatch problem is what I think it is - custom hairs won't change colors unless the CASPs are enabled for random - this is caused by a bug in the latest EA game patch. They've said they're going to correct it ASAP in a future patch.

Test Subject
#10 Old 20th Nov 2018 at 6:43 PM
Thanks!

If your hair swatch problem is what I think it is - custom hairs won't change colors unless the CASPs are enabled for random - this is caused by a bug in the latest EA game patch. They've said they're going to correct it ASAP in a future patch.

Yes, you're right! I used the batch fix for my hair folder and now everything is perfect.. For me the tool is perfect, there is no problem or error.
Test Subject
#11 Old 20th Nov 2018 at 8:05 PM
That error is saying your computer is out of memory. You can try closing as many other programs as possible.

I searched and haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else and the few CC CAS parts I've found and downloaded either have no specular or one that's at the non-HQ 512x1024 size, so IMO it's possible your sims turning black is not caused by this. However, in the next version I'll make the dimensions adjustable by the user.

Okay, I'll try. Wow, then the next version is going to be wonderful! I'm waiting anxiously.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#12 Old 20th Nov 2018 at 8:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by iconic
Yes, you're right! I used the batch fix for my hair folder and now everything is perfect.. For me the tool is perfect, there is no problem or error.

Just saw that today's patch fixes the hair swatch bug.

Test Subject
#13 Old 20th Nov 2018 at 9:16 PM

Notes:

Instructions:

I restarted my notebook and it was there that I was successful and it was perfect in the game. Thanks a lot for this tools, it was one of the best things you ever did! :lovestruc
Test Subject
#14 Old 21st Nov 2018 at 1:54 AM
I have sent this tool to some friends to test and none came here to comment yet. But anyway they told me that the tool is working very well on their computer. There is also no errors. I can't wait for the official release, people who use HQ Mod will go crazy (like i am). XD Thank you so much for listening to my request, you're awesome. iconic maybe. XD hahahah
Test Subject
#15 Old 21st Nov 2018 at 4:50 PM Last edited by RemusSirion : 21st Nov 2018 at 5:07 PM.
@CmarNYC: The specular map needs to be half the size of the diffuse map, therefore everything is fine the way you did it!
But there is an issue that could have happened here: when there is no specular or shadow map at all, the game sometimes (but not always) adds blank ones automatically. These would have the wrong size then. However, this happens very rarely.
I tested your converter with an item that did not have a shadow map or specular map and it worked like a charm.

Also, wrong sized specular maps DO NOT cause the sim to appear completely black. A wrong sized spec just removes the shine from all items applied.
Test Subject
#16 Old 21st Nov 2018 at 9:36 PM
Hi, Cmar! Me and my friends have tested the programm, everything works fine. But some people said, that it convert one file too slow, and most of them were scared by time that they need to spend to convert everything. Is there any way to fix this?
Top Secret Researcher
#17 Old 22nd Nov 2018 at 1:23 AM Last edited by claudiasharon : 22nd Nov 2018 at 1:30 AM. Reason: More info
Once this mod is complete, maybe I can finally use the HQ mod. It always bugged me that my CC wasn't HQ compatible so I never used the mod before. And I had a ton of files to do it myself. So I decided against it. But now I think I'll reconsider it again. I downloaded the HQ mod and your program to test with my CC, and so far I haven't had any issues. Can't wait to see what else you come up with for this! <3

for me, leave the specular in the dimensions 1024x2048, my sim turns black.

Also, from alf-si's site. "4.1. If sim (or part of it) get black textures (example), it means there is incorrect shadow (sometimes - diffuse) map. If you want to find it, you need to change all wearable things by sim to standard stuff from basegame - skin/clothes/tattoos/hair/makeup/etc." Just in case anyone else has this issue. Source.

Quote: Originally posted by dobro
Hi, Cmar! Me and my friends have tested the programm, everything works fine. But some people said, that it convert one file too slow, and most of them were scared by time that they need to spend to convert everything. Is there any way to fix this?

I'm sure Cmar will update the converter to better handle things, as they have said in their original post. Right now it's just a base test, making sure it does what it's supposed to do and everything looks fine.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#18 Old 22nd Nov 2018 at 11:27 AM Last edited by CmarNYC : 22nd Nov 2018 at 11:51 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by dobro

Yes, it's fairly slow to resize and generate new mipmaps depending on the type and content of the image, and I can't speed it up keeping acceptable quality without a lot of work and maybe not very significantly even then. My solution in the release version is batch processing - converting all the packages in a folder. It'll still take time to do dozens of packages but you can go have lunch or take a nap meanwhile.

claudiasharon, thank you! Yes, that's why I thought iconic's request was very reasonable; I'm sure there's lots of people who'd like to use HQ but converting by hand sounds like a huge task even with Photoshop scripts to automate part of it.

Quote: Originally posted by RemusSirion
But there is an issue that could have happened here: when there is no specular or shadow map at all, the game sometimes (but not always) adds blank ones automatically. These would have the wrong size then. However, this happens very rarely.
I tested your converter with an item that did not have a shadow map or specular map and it worked like a charm.

Yes, I thought about that but reading the CASP to see if textures are missing and checking whether they're in the game files would be adding more complexity than I want to get into for a rare problem, at least at this time. If it turns out to be a significant issue I'll come back to it.

BTW your tutorial was very helpful to me in figuring all of this out!

Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#19 Old 22nd Nov 2018 at 7:50 PM
Apparently I lied about the slowness. While fiddling with mipmaps code I stumbled across the bit in the s4pi DDS image library I use that's slowing everything down, fixed it, and now the textures are scaling in a fraction of the time. It'll still take a while to do a folder with a bazillion packages but it's better. I'm happy because this DDS slowness problem has affected some of my other tools too.

I'm hoping to upload the release tomorrow after more testing. Meanwhile Happy Thanksgiving!

Test Subject
#20 Old 23rd Nov 2018 at 5:42 PM
Thank you so much for creating this tool!! :O
After testing it both using this tool and manually converting a non-HQ skin into HQ compatible cc I noticed that the converter tool causes a loss of quality. When you manually edit the textures you can sharpen them, which makes them look at least a bit better than the normal textures. Is there a way to increase the quality of the resized textures with this tool? :o
Another little note, how will emission maps be resized? Will they remain in their original size?
Other than that, this tool is such a life saver! Once again, thank you so much for investing time to work on it =)
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#21 Old 23rd Nov 2018 at 7:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LunaLechuza
Thank you so much for creating this tool!! :O
After testing it both using this tool and manually converting a non-HQ skin into HQ compatible cc I noticed that the converter tool causes a loss of quality. When you manually edit the textures you can sharpen them, which makes them look at least a bit better than the normal textures. Is there a way to increase the quality of the resized textures with this tool? :o
Another little note, how will emission maps be resized? Will they remain in their original size?
Other than that, this tool is such a life saver! Once again, thank you so much for investing time to work on it =)

For the release version I've changed the scaling method from the basic default one in the beta to the best available in Windows graphics. There's no option for sharpening but hopefully it'll be a bit better than what you saw.

Emission maps will not be changed since I found no mention of them in relation to the HQ mod. If this proves to be an issue I can resize them and the bumpmaps in a future version.

Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#22 Old 23rd Nov 2018 at 8:39 PM
The release version of this tool has now been uploaded to the Downloads section: http://www.modthesims.info/d/620563...-converter.html

Please leave any comments etc. there. Thanks for testing and posting helpful feedback!

Locked thread | Locked by: CmarNYC Reason: Release version uploaded