Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Oct 2018 at 1:41 AM
Default I'm Ready! Woohoo!!
Ok, for four years, I've been playing Sims 2. Now, I feel is the time to start modding. I want to learn to make clothes, body mods, objects like cars 'n such, and hair.

Gimp is easy to find.
I found MilkShape, but not sure which version to use (A little help here?).
I have SimPE.
I have TS2 BodyShop.

Are there any more tools that this Noob needs?

ANY help to get started is appreciated! So far, I created one thing. A recolor of one of Maxis shorts outfits, that I successfully converted into a really cute pair of Daisy Duke shorts, for adults, and young adults.. I did this the VERY HARD way in TS2 BodyShop.
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 22nd Oct 2018 at 2:15 AM
Well if you have made something and you feel it is good enough for upload or getting close to good enough but want feedback, post some pictures in Creator Feedback. Apart from the actual CC item itself you also need picture taking skills and also the resources that you used. So say for example you used a denim texture made by somebody else, you have to make sure it's free to use and give a credit line on your upload. You need a screenshot program and large crisp close up ingame pictures http://modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=611 I would first get good at recolouring and learn how the upload system works before attempting meshing.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd Oct 2018 at 4:18 AM Last edited by Kunder : 22nd Oct 2018 at 4:36 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Well if you have made something and you feel it is good enough for upload or getting close to good enough but want feedback, post some pictures in Creator Feedback. Apart from the actual CC item itself you also need picture taking skills and also the resources that you used. So say for example you used a denim texture made by somebody else, you have to make sure it's free to use and give a credit line on your upload. You need a screenshot program and large crisp close up ingame pictures http://modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=611 I would first get good at recolouring and learn how the upload system works before attempting meshing.
I'll post the item I recolored for feedback. It was already a Maxis item. Thanks for the advice!

EDIT:

I took four screenshots with Fraps, at different angles, and will upload them tomorrow. Thank you!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 2nd Nov 2018 at 7:17 PM
@joeandsarah77

Just uploaded it to the thread you had highlighted in previous post. Thanx for your help.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 2nd Nov 2018 at 10:52 PM
If you want to make 4t2/3t2 conversions you'll need Milkshape 1.8.5 (reason being plugin compatibility). If you're only making TS2 items, the 1.8.4 is fine.

If you want to make objects, you'll need to register at the SimPE site (or in the GUID window), because you need to be able to make new GUIDs for the objects to be standalone.

You'll also need tutorials, and a plan for what you want to make. If you want to make hairs, I do suggest you try out meshing tutorials for clothes first, possibly also dabble in how to add alpha/noblend layers for clothing meshes, because you'll be needing the same tools but there aren't so many good tutorials for making hairs, so learn the basics first. For accessories you need to be comfortable tinkering with clothing files in SimPE, and it's useful to know how to link meshes manually (like when making hairs).

For cars... Start with something simpler. Really. They involve animations/bone assignments, possibly quite a bit of SimPE tinkering, and a bunch of other things you'll need to know, and that's like a binocular-distance away on the skill stairs from making recolors in Bodyshop.

(and now I'm curious - what's the "the VERY HARD way in TS2 BodyShop"?)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 3rd Nov 2018 at 4:50 PM Last edited by Kunder : 3rd Nov 2018 at 5:06 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
If you want to make 4t2/3t2 conversions you'll need Milkshape 1.8.5 (reason being plugin compatibility). If you're only making TS2 items, the 1.8.4 is fine.

If you want to make objects, you'll need to register at the SimPE site (or in the GUID window), because you need to be able to make new GUIDs for the objects to be standalone.

You'll also need tutorials, and a plan for what you want to make. If you want to make hairs, I do suggest you try out meshing tutorials for clothes first, possibly also dabble in how to add alpha/noblend layers for clothing meshes, because you'll be needing the same tools but there aren't so many good tutorials for making hairs, so learn the basics first. For accessories you need to be comfortable tinkering with clothing files in SimPE, and it's useful to know how to link meshes manually (like when making hairs).

For cars... Start with something simpler. Really. They involve animations/bone assignments, possibly quite a bit of SimPE tinkering, and a bunch of other things you'll need to know, and that's like a binocular-distance away on the skill stairs from making recolors in Bodyshop.

(and now I'm curious - what's the "the VERY HARD way in TS2 BodyShop"?)
Downloaded, Thanx!

It was mostly guesswork, as the colors weren't right, most was in black and white, and probably the biggest factor, was that I didn't know for sure what I was doing.