Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#26 Old 20th Sep 2018 at 5:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jules1111
I have never had crashing or pink flashes. I use the Ultimate Collection, no Origin, Securom removed. I altered the Graphic Rules and Video Card files by hand.

Specs
Windows 10 home
Intel i7-7700 4.20 Ghz (8CPU's)
Nvidia Gforce GTX 1060 6GB

We have literally the same specs, but my game crashes and flashes pink like crazy, despite having tried endless and endless fixes on. I'm very confused with this problem with TS2...

Many thanks to everyone who responded on this thread with great information. Having tried everything, I still found no total fix. I think I'll end up getting a 2nd hand computer with the same specs of my old gaming pc on which I used to play TS2 with absolutely no problem and make sure it stays on Windows 7.
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#27 Old 20th Sep 2018 at 5:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kunder
Run your Sims on the HD graphics. The HD graphics, HD-4600 and up, will play Sims 2 just fine. If your processor is 7thGen, then you have HD-630, or 620 graphics, which will run The Sims 2, 3, and 4 just fine.
Right Click "Computer", Left click "Properties" locate "Device manager", and look under "Display adapters" to confirm your video.

Thank you for your suggestion! Under the display adapters I only see my NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 with Max-Q Design. There is no other option.
Test Subject
#28 Old 20th Sep 2018 at 7:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by xRedcrossx
Thank you for your suggestion! Under the display adapters I only see my NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 with Max-Q Design. There is no other option.

Could the option to use the intel GPU be under the settings for the nvidia experience app on your laptop?
I don't know what make/model laptop you have but I think it is worth it to try to use the onboard graphics (Intel).
I am using Intel HD 630 as I mentioned in my previous post and it is working better than I expected.
Scholar
#29 Old 21st Sep 2018 at 3:25 AM Last edited by d_dgjdhh : 21st Sep 2018 at 3:40 AM.
@xRedcrossx

I see you left out a small detail from your initial post. You have an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 Max-Q graphics processor unit.

That's an integrated chip...something that usually causes problems with The Sims 2. To (unfortunately) add to insult, the Max-Q chips were designed with efficiency AND low power usage. So your integrated chip is not designed for performance.

There's an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 graphics processor unit that looks like the image below. I'm presuming you don't have that in your laptop:

What I'm guessing others have are GTX 1060 dedicated GPUs rather than the integrated chip you have.

So that explains your pink flashing objects...because the graphics card is overperforming, which could cause heating in your laptop that could cause poor performance of The Sims 2.

Check out my latest version of Superman's Classic Uniform for The Sims 2.
See what images I have posted on DeviantArt as well related to The Sims 2 and designs.
Also check out My Website to see my superhero uniform creations for The Sims 2. THANKS!!!
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 21st Sep 2018 at 3:39 AM
We have literally the same specs, but my game crashes and flashes pink like crazy, despite having tried endless and endless fixes on. I'm very confused with this problem with TS2...

Many thanks to everyone who responded on this thread with great information. Having tried everything, I still found no total fix. I think I'll end up getting a 2nd hand computer with the same specs of my old gaming pc on which I used to play TS2 with absolutely no problem and make sure it stays on Windows 7.

I don't think anyone has figured out why some get crashing and pink flashes and others don't. Though I am playing on a desktop, not laptop, so that might have something to do with it. The hardware can have the same name, but it is not the same hardware in the computers. Laptops generally have weaker hardware. Which is why I always go for desktops.
Field Researcher
#31 Old 22nd Sep 2018 at 4:43 PM
What brand, and model is your computer? You may need to contact the manufacturer, and ask about the HD graphics. You say this is a laptop? It should have either HD620, or HD630 on-board graphics. You need to contact them and ask about that. I have yet to see a laptop with nVidia graphics, that didn't have the HD graphics also, although, it may be possible.

Something may be wrong, as you should be at LEAST showing your nVidia, AND a "Basic Display Adapter".

Please do this, and let us know.

If you really need a second machine, Any 4thGen laptop, should have HD4600 graphics, which seems to be a "sweet spot" for playing Sims 2. HD5500 on the 5thGen, and HD520 for the 6thGen will play Sims 2 pretty well also.

I recommend the i7 QuadCore (MQ, or QM), Lenovo T440p, *NOT* the T440, for playing Sims2. I'm using that computer right now, as a matter of fact. I *HIGHLY* recommend this machine! Fast, tough as nails, reasonably good battery life, and VERY easy to fix/upgrade.

Don't be afraid to get it from Ebay! Just be careful, and ask lots of questions, and make sure it's ready to use. If you don't mind adding your own hard disk (I recommend a 240gb + SSD for Sims 2), and memory (16gb recommended, but 8gb will work fine). BOTH are VERY easy to do on the T440p.

You can get a turnkey i7 T440p, with 8gb/RAM, HD4600 Graphics and a 500gb HDD from Ebay, for as little as around $200 US, maybe even less, if you're patient, or a "Bare Bones" (Needs a hard drive, memory, etc.) for around $130-150, or less.

You can download the Intel Texture fix, from LeeFish.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#32 Old 22nd Sep 2018 at 7:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by d_dgjdhh
@xRedcrossx

I see you left out a small detail from your initial post. You have an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 Max-Q graphics processor unit.

That's an integrated chip...something that usually causes problems with The Sims 2. To (unfortunately) add to insult, the Max-Q chips were designed with efficiency AND low power usage. So your integrated chip is not designed for performance.

There's an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 graphics processor unit that looks like the image below. I'm presuming you don't have that in your laptop:

What I'm guessing others have are GTX 1060 dedicated GPUs rather than the integrated chip you have.

So that explains your pink flashing objects...because the graphics card is overperforming, which could cause heating in your laptop that could cause poor performance of The Sims 2.

Thank you! This indeed explains a lot. I bought the laptop thinking it had GTX 1060 in it, and later on when I checked the name I didn't realise that Max Q design was different than 1060 itself; I assumed it was the full name of the same thing... Yet still, I remember being able to play TS2 on another laptop with a basic display adapter without any pink flashes. My old gaming desktop had GTX 680 and that played wonderfully as well. I'm wondering, how bad can GTX 1060 with Max Q design be, that it runs the game even worse than all those previous, older, less powerful systems?..
Test Subject
Original Poster
#33 Old 22nd Sep 2018 at 7:58 PM
What brand, and model is your computer? You may need to contact the manufacturer, and ask about the HD graphics. You say this is a laptop? It should have either HD620, or HD630 on-board graphics. You need to contact them and ask about that. I have yet to see a laptop with nVidia graphics, that didn't have the HD graphics also, although, it may be possible.

Something may be wrong, as you should be at LEAST showing your nVidia, AND a "Basic Display Adapter".

Please do this, and let us know.

If you really need a second machine, Any 4thGen laptop, should have HD4600 graphics, which seems to be a "sweet spot" for playing Sims 2. HD5500 on the 5thGen, and HD520 for the 6thGen will play Sims 2 pretty well also.

I recommend the i7 QuadCore (MQ, or QM), Lenovo T440p, *NOT* the T440, for playing Sims2. I'm using that computer right now, as a matter of fact. I *HIGHLY* recommend this machine! Fast, tough as nails, reasonably good battery life, and VERY easy to fix/upgrade.

Don't be afraid to get it from Ebay! Just be careful, and ask lots of questions, and make sure it's ready to use. If you don't mind adding your own hard disk (I recommend a 240gb + SSD for Sims 2), and memory (16gb recommended, but 8gb will work fine). BOTH are VERY easy to do on the T440p.

You can get a turnkey i7 T440p, with 8gb/RAM, HD4600 Graphics and a 500gb HDD from Ebay, for as little as around $200 US, maybe even less, if you're patient, or a "Bare Bones" (Needs a hard drive, memory, etc.) for around $130-150, or less.

You can download the Intel Texture fix, from LeeFish.

Thank you so much for your detailed reply! It's especially helpful to hear your system suggestions. I'll definitely take them into account while picking the one I might get for TS2.

My laptop is an Omen by HP 15-CE004NT - CORE Ä°7 7700HQ 2.8GHZ - 16GB - 1TB + 512SSD - GTX1060 with Max Q design 6GB - W10
You can imagine how excited I was with these specs thinking that it would give me a seamless TS2 experience. Well it did, in the worst way possible

I tried to install the missing display adapters, but it still seems that I don't have a basic display adapter. Nothing comes up in that install. It only shows the Nvidia one.

I looked up at Lenovo T440p, in the specs it says the machine has NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 730M graphics processor; is it the same one with yours? What is the maximum resolution of the model you mentioned? And is turnkey you have mentioned a model of Lenovo?
Undead Molten Llama
#34 Old 22nd Sep 2018 at 8:58 PM
Thank you! This indeed explains a lot. I bought the laptop thinking it had GTX 1060 in it, and later on when I checked the name I didn't realise that Max Q design was different than 1060 itself; I assumed it was the full name of the same thing... Yet still, I remember being able to play TS2 on another laptop with a basic display adapter without any pink flashes. My old gaming desktop had GTX 680 and that played wonderfully as well. I'm wondering, how bad can GTX 1060 with Max Q design be, that it runs the game even worse than all those previous, older, less powerful systems?..

Generally speaking, laptop hardware is designed to address concerns specific to laptops: Taking up less physical space, using less power to prolong battery charge when not running on AC, not being so high-performance that it generates a lot of heat because heat is especially bad for laptops, etc. Hardware designed for desktops doesn't have to address those issues. They can be unabashedly big (with giant heat sinks/fans), power-eating, and high-performance. In short, a laptop is never going to be as high-performance as a desktop with equivalent hardware. Just the way it is.

Beyond that, for an old game like TS2, newer and/or more powerful hardware (and software, when it comes to OSs) isn't always or even often better, mostly because TS2 was never designed to use such things and so doesn't "know" how to use them properly. For instance, it's well-known that newer, multicore processors (like i3/5/7/9s) can have issues with TS2. The game doesn't know how to properly interface with multiple cores (or the processor doesn't know how to deal with such an old game!), resulting in lag and other weirdness, which I've read can mostly be addressed by telling your processor to only use one core when playing TS2. But that's why my Simming computer -- a desktop -- has a Core2Duo processor that was state-of-the-art at the end of TS2's production/the beginning of TS3's because those are the only games I play. It's also just fine for dinking around on the internet and using spreadsheets and screwing around in Photoshop. It wouldn't be good for newer games, but I don't play any...and if I did, I'd use one of the other machines we have.

I will always recommend to TS2 players that, if possible, they buy a cheap, older-model desktop running an older operating system and then upgrade its RAM to at least 4GB and graphics to at least an entry-level, dedicated gaming video card, and then use that machine just to play TS2 (and probably 3, if you're into 3) or any other older games that you play. I would wager that most of the technical problems people experience with TS2 these days (aside from issues with downloaded content or with them building huge neighborhoods full of high-res CC) can be traced back to newer hardware and operating systems not grokking an old-ass game like TS2, or vice versa. I mean TS2 IS 14 years old now and all; that's beyond ancient in computer years. So, the logical solution is to run the game on an older machine with older hardware and an older operating system. Sure, some people do just fine with newer stuff...but some people don't. And, going forward, there'll be more and more problems with TS2 running on ever-newer hardware/OSs. Me, I have a whole stockpile of old hardware that I will only give up when I am dead. And maybe not even then.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#35 Old 23rd Sep 2018 at 8:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
Generally speaking, laptop hardware is designed to address concerns specific to laptops: Taking up less physical space, using less power to prolong battery charge when not running on AC, not being so high-performance that it generates a lot of heat because heat is especially bad for laptops, etc. Hardware designed for desktops doesn't have to address those issues. They can be unabashedly big (with giant heat sinks/fans), power-eating, and high-performance. In short, a laptop is never going to be as high-performance as a desktop with equivalent hardware. Just the way it is.

Beyond that, for an old game like TS2, newer and/or more powerful hardware (and software, when it comes to OSs) isn't always or even often better, mostly because TS2 was never designed to use such things and so doesn't "know" how to use them properly. For instance, it's well-known that newer, multicore processors (like i3/5/7/9s) can have issues with TS2. The game doesn't know how to properly interface with multiple cores (or the processor doesn't know how to deal with such an old game!), resulting in lag and other weirdness, which I've read can mostly be addressed by telling your processor to only use one core when playing TS2. But that's why my Simming computer -- a desktop -- has a Core2Duo processor that was state-of-the-art at the end of TS2's production/the beginning of TS3's because those are the only games I play. It's also just fine for dinking around on the internet and using spreadsheets and screwing around in Photoshop. It wouldn't be good for newer games, but I don't play any...and if I did, I'd use one of the other machines we have.

I will always recommend to TS2 players that, if possible, they buy a cheap, older-model desktop running an older operating system and then upgrade its RAM to at least 4GB and graphics to at least an entry-level, dedicated gaming video card, and then use that machine just to play TS2 (and probably 3, if you're into 3) or any other older games that you play. I would wager that most of the technical problems people experience with TS2 these days (aside from issues with downloaded content or with them building huge neighborhoods full of high-res CC) can be traced back to newer hardware and operating systems not grokking an old-ass game like TS2, or vice versa. I mean TS2 IS 14 years old now and all; that's beyond ancient in computer years. So, the logical solution is to run the game on an older machine with older hardware and an older operating system. Sure, some people do just fine with newer stuff...but some people don't. And, going forward, there'll be more and more problems with TS2 running on ever-newer hardware/OSs. Me, I have a whole stockpile of old hardware that I will only give up when I am dead. And maybe not even then.

Definitely! Especially the way I like to play TS2 can be quite graphics-heavy; a desktop system would fit much better. It's very smart to keep some old hardware around for people who are passionate for older games like this. My old gaming desktop is in another country now, far far away, since I moved. But I'm now also slowly looking for one with an older system.

Actually I found this; could you tell me what you think of these specs in terms of playing TS2?

Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
8GB memory
MSI Geforce GTX680 Twin Frozr III graphics card
OCZ Vertex 2 SSD drive, 120GB
500GB hard drive

Or any other specs info I need to ask to seller?
Undead Molten Llama
#36 Old 23rd Sep 2018 at 1:11 PM Last edited by iCad : 23rd Sep 2018 at 1:23 PM.
Actually I found this; could you tell me what you think of these specs in terms of playing TS2?

Windows 10 Pro 64bit
8GB memory
500GB hard drive

I think this would be a good system for playing older games (while also allowing you to do other basic things, of course.) TS2 should like a Core2Quad processor; it was "meant" for Pentium processors, but the Core2Duos and Core2Quads did exist during TS2's production, at least. 8GB of RAM is certainly sufficient for TS2. I mean, if you don't pack it with a bunch of newer, high-res CC, it'll run perfectly fine on 2GB. You've got plenty of storage space at least for TS2. The SSD will be nice to install the game on, will make load times very quick.

For the graphics card, first of all, I love MSI cards. I always buy MSI cards. They're workhorses and rarely give you trouble, but if you DO have problems their customer service is great to work with. The card I just replaced -- a GTX 750 -- was an MSI card that was several years old and had been passed between a number of machines here, and it still works just fine and will become a backup around here. So, yeah, me likey MSI. As for that specific card, while it's just fine in terms of "generation" and such, certainly just fine for running a "basic" game, I'd ask the seller how much RAM it has, especially since you initially asked about pink flashing. The more memory it has, the more texture memory it'll have, and you want as much texture memory as you can get your paws on to avoid the pink flashing, because of the game's inherent texture memory processing issues. If you want to play a heavy-CC game, I wouldn't want anything less than 2GB of RAM on the video card, and if you go really heavy on the high-res CC, I wouldn't want less than a 4GB card these days. I just recently switched from a 2GB card to a 4GB one because I have one neighborhood where I'm deliberately pushing the game's texture-processing limits, especially because its ruleset requires bouncing between lots often. With the 2GB card, I could only play it for an hour or two before the pink would start. With the 4GB card, it hasn't pinked yet, and I've played it for probably about 12 hours in one game load. (Not 12 consecutive hours, mind you! I've just kept the game loaded for days and played it here and there, when I've had a spare hour or so.)

That being said, if the card the machine comes with isn't what you want, you can always replace it. The card I'm now using (4GB NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti) cost $160 (US dollars), new, on Newegg; you might be able to get used cards cheaper, but I tend not to trust them much since, of all hardware, it's video cards that tend to take the most beating and therefore break first. So, for those, I prefer to buy new.

The only thing I don't like about the system is that it has Win10. Sure, some people run the game perfectly fine on it, but many people have problems getting it installed and/or playing it under Win10. The UC does seem to do better on it than a disk install, so if you're using that, you'll probably have better luck, but I personally won't use the UC. If I was buying this machine for TS2, I'd replace Win10 with Win7 or older. Before this latest machine, which has 7 and which I've had for about 1.5 years, I ran the game for about 4 years on fully-service-packed Vista with no problems and before that I had XP. Of course the OS the game really likes is XP, but that's harder to find these days and it can also be hard to find hardware drivers that work with it these days. So at this point I'd say 7 is your best bet if you have your choice of OSs. I'd say Vista, too, but I imagine Microsoft is going to stop supporting that soon, if it hasn't already abandoned it.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Field Researcher
#37 Old 23rd Sep 2018 at 2:40 PM Last edited by Kunder : 23rd Sep 2018 at 3:37 PM.
Thank you so much for your detailed reply! It's especially helpful to hear your system suggestions. I'll definitely take them into account while picking the one I might get for TS2.

My laptop is an Omen by HP 15-CE004NT - CORE Ä°7 7700HQ 2.8GHZ - 16GB - 1TB + 512SSD - GTX1060 with Max Q design 6GB - W10
You can imagine how excited I was with these specs thinking that it would give me a seamless TS2 experience. Well it did, in the worst way possible

I tried to install the missing display adapters, but it still seems that I don't have a basic display adapter. Nothing comes up in that install. It only shows the Nvidia one.

I looked up at Lenovo T440p, in the specs it says the machine has NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 730M graphics processor; is it the same one with yours? What is the maximum resolution of the model you mentioned? And is turnkey you have mentioned a model of Lenovo?

@xRedcrossx

Turnkey, simply means it's ready to run. Everything included, No additional parts needed. Make sure you ask the seller if it's "Turnkey" (ready to go). If he says "I don't know", buy it from someone else. If you want to do it yourself, you can add your own ram and HDD. However, you should consider a copy of Windows 8.1Pro. I can direct you to that, also. It's very easy to upgrade a T440p.

I HIGHLY recommend the i7-4700 powered T440p, with the 1600x900 display.

My machine didn't come with memory, or HDD. I paid $200+shipping, for it off Ebay. It was 250+shipping with memory, and a SSD. Yes. Mine has the nVidia GT 730, but it ALSO has the on-board HD4600 graphics.

I run my Sims on the HD4600 graphics. My machine display is 1600x900. If I have it hooked up to my 32" external monitor, it's 1920x1080. I run Sims at 1600x900, and almost all high settings, and it's more than adequate. You'll need to add a line in your .sgr file, and download the "textures" file for HD graphics, from "LeeFish".

IF you get a T440p, I'll post the line you need, in another post. You'll just need to copy/paste it into your .sgr files, and "save". I'll also post a link to the "Texture" file you'll need on LeeFish.

I've been playing Sims for 3-4 years now. almost entirely on laptops. playing Sims2 on the T440p, will not "overheat" it. If that is a concern, Prop up the back of the laptop, with two, 2 liter bottle caps. Make sure it's on a hard, flat surface, and not on your "lap".

I also recommend propping up the back of your Omen also. Some of them have known, overheating issues.

Ok, I just did a little research. Your machine should also have Intel HD630 graphics on it also. I recommend you contact Hewlett Packard, and tell them about your issue. Did you look in "Device Manager", under "Display Adapters?.

Here is the link to HP's website, with your models drivers.
Download the High Definition Graphics driver. There are three drivers there. You want the one in the middle, under Driver-Graphics. Download it (Save),Try to install it. It should "save" to your "Downloads" folder.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/driver.../model/16871621

Let us know how it turns out!
Field Researcher
#38 Old 23rd Sep 2018 at 6:11 PM
Definitely! Especially the way I like to play TS2 can be quite graphics-heavy; a desktop system would fit much better. It's very smart to keep some old hardware around for people who are passionate for older games like this. My old gaming desktop is in another country now, far far away, since I moved. But I'm now also slowly looking for one with an older system.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit
8GB memory
500GB hard drive

How much are they asking for it? You don't want to pay too much for a Core 2 Quad.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#39 Old 23rd Sep 2018 at 6:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
I think this would be a good system for playing older games (while also allowing you to do other basic things, of course.) TS2 should like a Core2Quad processor; it was "meant" for Pentium processors, but the Core2Duos and Core2Quads did exist during TS2's production, at least. 8GB of RAM is certainly sufficient for TS2. I mean, if you don't pack it with a bunch of newer, high-res CC, it'll run perfectly fine on 2GB. You've got plenty of storage space at least for TS2. The SSD will be nice to install the game on, will make load times very quick.

For the graphics card, first of all, I love MSI cards. I always buy MSI cards. They're workhorses and rarely give you trouble, but if you DO have problems their customer service is great to work with. The card I just replaced -- a GTX 750 -- was an MSI card that was several years old and had been passed between a number of machines here, and it still works just fine and will become a backup around here. So, yeah, me likey MSI. As for that specific card, while it's just fine in terms of "generation" and such, certainly just fine for running a "basic" game, I'd ask the seller how much RAM it has, especially since you initially asked about pink flashing. The more memory it has, the more texture memory it'll have, and you want as much texture memory as you can get your paws on to avoid the pink flashing, because of the game's inherent texture memory processing issues. If you want to play a heavy-CC game, I wouldn't want anything less than 2GB of RAM on the video card, and if you go really heavy on the high-res CC, I wouldn't want less than a 4GB card these days. I just recently switched from a 2GB card to a 4GB one because I have one neighborhood where I'm deliberately pushing the game's texture-processing limits, especially because its ruleset requires bouncing between lots often. With the 2GB card, I could only play it for an hour or two before the pink would start. With the 4GB card, it hasn't pinked yet, and I've played it for probably about 12 hours in one game load. (Not 12 consecutive hours, mind you! I've just kept the game loaded for days and played it here and there, when I've had a spare hour or so.)

That being said, if the card the machine comes with isn't what you want, you can always replace it. The card I'm now using (4GB NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti) cost $160 (US dollars), new, on Newegg; you might be able to get used cards cheaper, but I tend not to trust them much since, of all hardware, it's video cards that tend to take the most beating and therefore break first. So, for those, I prefer to buy new.

The only thing I don't like about the system is that it has Win10. Sure, some people run the game perfectly fine on it, but many people have problems getting it installed and/or playing it under Win10. The UC does seem to do better on it than a disk install, so if you're using that, you'll probably have better luck, but I personally won't use the UC. If I was buying this machine for TS2, I'd replace Win10 with Win7 or older. Before this latest machine, which has 7 and which I've had for about 1.5 years, I ran the game for about 4 years on fully-service-packed Vista with no problems and before that I had XP. Of course the OS the game really likes is XP, but that's harder to find these days and it can also be hard to find hardware drivers that work with it these days. So at this point I'd say 7 is your best bet if you have your choice of OSs. I'd say Vista, too, but I imagine Microsoft is going to stop supporting that soon, if it hasn't already abandoned it.

Thanks a lot for your reply!

I remember my old graphics card having 2 GB of memory too. I'd rarely get the pink flashing issue and a reboot would solve it. But then a 4 GB one would do much better! The worst thing about a constant problem of pink flashing is that I can't rely on the game for a long term while I give all that time to build the world and the characters etc... I hope a system like this would solve the problem. If I buy it, I think I won't risk trying on Windows 10 and will first install Windows 7 on it. And later on if pink flashes get annoying, I might get a 4 GB card as well!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#40 Old 23rd Sep 2018 at 6:30 PM
@xRedcrossx

Turnkey, simply means it's ready to run. Everything included, No additional parts needed. Make sure you ask the seller if it's "Turnkey" (ready to go). If he says "I don't know", buy it from someone else. If you want to do it yourself, you can add your own ram and HDD. However, you should consider a copy of Windows 8.1Pro. I can direct you to that, also. It's very easy to upgrade a T440p.

I HIGHLY recommend the i7-4700 powered T440p, with the 1600x900 display.

My machine didn't come with memory, or HDD. I paid $200+shipping, for it off Ebay. It was 250+shipping with memory, and a SSD. Yes. Mine has the nVidia GT 730, but it ALSO has the on-board HD4600 graphics.

I run my Sims on the HD4600 graphics. My machine display is 1600x900. If I have it hooked up to my 32" external monitor, it's 1920x1080. I run Sims at 1600x900, and almost all high settings, and it's more than adequate. You'll need to add a line in your .sgr file, and download the "textures" file for HD graphics, from "LeeFish".

IF you get a T440p, I'll post the line you need, in another post. You'll just need to copy/paste it into your .sgr files, and "save". I'll also post a link to the "Texture" file you'll need on LeeFish.

I've been playing Sims for 3-4 years now. almost entirely on laptops. playing Sims2 on the T440p, will not "overheat" it. If that is a concern, Prop up the back of the laptop, with two, 2 liter bottle caps. Make sure it's on a hard, flat surface, and not on your "lap".

I also recommend propping up the back of your Omen also. Some of them have known, overheating issues.

Ok, I just did a little research. Your machine should also have Intel HD630 graphics on it also. I recommend you contact Hewlett Packard, and tell them about your issue. Did you look in "Device Manager", under "Display Adapters?.

Here is the link to HP's website, with your models drivers.
Download the High Definition Graphics driver. There are three drivers there. You want the one in the middle, under Driver-Graphics. Download it (Save),Try to install it. It should "save" to your "Downloads" folder.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/driver.../model/16871621

Let us know how it turns out!

Thank you! This is full of super helpful information!

Is hooking up a T440p to an external monitor as easy as using an HDMI cable for it? It is important for me that the game has at least 1920x1080 of resolution, since I use screenshots & prints a lot during my storytelling process.

Can I ask you how CC & texture heavy do you play the game? What was the reason you chose to use the HD graphics instead of nVidia GT 730 ?

Today I learned that because of the "g sync" thing, I can't use the HD on my laptop/it is nonexistent. Strange!

Through your help and some deliberation I'm in between getting either a T440p or the machine I mentioned on my preview post. They ask € 200 for it. Do you think it's an OK price? I wonder if it would perform better than a T440p.
Lab Assistant
#41 Old 23rd Sep 2018 at 6:42 PM
I have nvidia gforce
Field Researcher
#42 Old 23rd Sep 2018 at 10:40 PM Last edited by Kunder : 23rd Sep 2018 at 11:17 PM.

Is hooking up a T440p to an external monitor as easy as using an HDMI cable for it? It is important for me that the game has at least 1920x1080 of resolution, since I use screenshots & prints a lot during my storytelling process.

Can I ask you how CC & texture heavy do you play the game? What was the reason you chose to use the HD graphics instead of nVidia GT 730 ?

Today I learned that because of the "g sync" thing, I can't use the HD on my laptop/it is nonexistent. Strange!

Through your help and some deliberation I'm in between getting either a T440p or the machine I mentioned on my preview post. They ask € 200 for it. Do you think it's an OK price? I wonder if it would perform better than a T440p.
You can get one of these:

HDMI to MiniDisplay Port.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Mini-Display...5.c100005.m1851

I recommend this seller. Gator cables are overbuilt, and VERY sturdy. I've bought several from this seller. His cables are fabulous.

Or, you can hook up via VGA. That's how mine is (they sell VGA cables also). The VGA cable off an old desktop monitor would serve.

Either way, you'll get 1920x1080, *IF* your external monitor supports it.

No, if you're talking about the Core2 Quad, it's not even in the same GALAXY as the T440p. Core2 processors were before even the "i" series processors.

The T440p is a 4thGen processor. Many generations, and revisions newer. MANY times faster/more efficient than a Core2 Quad.

Get one with the i5, or better yet, the i7 Quad core. You won't be disappointed!

If you need a computer, and don't have one, and can't afford another $50 for a far better one, $200 is not too terribly much to pay, IF it has a 240gb+ SSD, and at least, 8gb/RAM.

If you're planning on playing anything other than The Sims 2 on that computer, you'll need at least a 240gb SSD with that mechanical drive. The 120gb SSD won't be big enough. You DON'T want to run Sims from a mechanical drive of any speed, with a Core2 Quad if you can help it. Sims loads, and plays SOOOO much faster with a SSD. I know, I've done it. Even with the Q9660 processor (my old gaming tower), it still loaded slow as molasses.

there are other considerations when using a SSD. However, we'll get into that if you buy the Core2 Quad.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#43 Old 24th Sep 2018 at 4:08 PM
You can get one of these:

HDMI to MiniDisplay Port.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Mini-Display...5.c100005.m1851

I recommend this seller. Gator cables are overbuilt, and VERY sturdy. I've bought several from this seller. His cables are fabulous.

Or, you can hook up via VGA. That's how mine is (they sell VGA cables also). The VGA cable off an old desktop monitor would serve.

Either way, you'll get 1920x1080, *IF* your external monitor supports it.

No, if you're talking about the Core2 Quad, it's not even in the same GALAXY as the T440p. Core2 processors were before even the "i" series processors.

The T440p is a 4thGen processor. Many generations, and revisions newer. MANY times faster/more efficient than a Core2 Quad.

Get one with the i5, or better yet, the i7 Quad core. You won't be disappointed!

If you need a computer, and don't have one, and can't afford another $50 for a far better one, $200 is not too terribly much to pay, IF it has a 240gb+ SSD, and at least, 8gb/RAM.

If you're planning on playing anything other than The Sims 2 on that computer, you'll need at least a 240gb SSD with that mechanical drive. The 120gb SSD won't be big enough. You DON'T want to run Sims from a mechanical drive of any speed, with a Core2 Quad if you can help it. Sims loads, and plays SOOOO much faster with a SSD. I know, I've done it. Even with the Q9660 processor (my old gaming tower), it still loaded slow as molasses.

there are other considerations when using a SSD. However, we'll get into that if you buy the Core2 Quad.

Thank you for all the time you took to guide me through this pink flashing nightmare!
I ended up buying another computer, I think its specs look much better and the price wasn't that different.

It has a MSI B75MA-P45 motherboard and its processor is Intel® Core i5-3450 Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.50 GHz)
It has 8 GB ram @ 1333Mhz
Nvidia GeForce GTX680 = 4GB 4096MB DDR5 memory
and Samsung 128GB SSD.
With 1 Terabyte HDD.
Windows 7

If this machine doesn't run TS2 properly, I don't know what will... I will install TS2 on SSD. I am thinking if I should use old copies for it or the UC. I will receive the computer on Wednesday evening and will immediately test the game on it. Fingers crossed! I'm very excited and I hope I won't be terribly disappointed this time
Field Researcher
#44 Old 25th Sep 2018 at 2:57 PM
Thank you for all the time you took to guide me through this pink flashing nightmare!
I ended up buying another computer, I think its specs look much better and the price wasn't that different.

It has a MSI B75MA-P45 motherboard and its processor is Intel® Core i5-3450 Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.50 GHz)
and Samsung 128GB SSD.
With 1 Terabyte HDD.
Windows 7

If this machine doesn't run TS2 properly, I don't know what will... I will install TS2 on SSD. I am thinking if I should use old copies for it or the UC. I will receive the computer on Wednesday evening and will immediately test the game on it. Fingers crossed! I'm very excited and I hope I won't be terribly disappointed this time
You're very welcome, and good luck! Should be fine.
Field Researcher
#45 Old 25th Sep 2018 at 3:03 PM

My CC is around 4gb. I play with 1600x900, all texturing on high. Neighbors off, view, and fade, on medium.

I simply haven't tried the nVidia graphics yet.
Undead Molten Llama
#46 Old 25th Sep 2018 at 4:18 PM

and Samsung 128GB SSD.
With 1 Terabyte HDD.
Windows 7

That should do you well. Win7 is a way better OS for TS2 than 10, IMO. (Yes, I know it works just fine for many people, but many other people have to jump through hoops to get TS2 and Win10 to live together harmoniously.) Hopefully it's a 64-bit version of the OS so that you'll be able to use the 4GB patch on the game. If you intend to play a heavy-CC game, especially if you use high-res CC, make sure you fiddle with the graphics rules to force the game to access all of your video card's texture memory because by default the game will only use part of it, resulting in pink flashing. A 4GB card should give you at least 3GB of texture memory, and you might very well need all of that to prevent pink flashing, depending on how you play your game and what you've got in your neighborhoods, with the way the game eats texture memory like a hoarder hordes cats. There's info about how to do this around.

If you experience any weird lagging while playing, look into how to make the processor use only one of its cores to play the game. It seems to be fairly common problem when playing TS2 on machines with newer, multicore processors, and that info's out there, too. It should fix the lagging or at least make it better.

Field Researcher
#47 Old 5th Nov 2018 at 11:31 PM

Can I ask you how CC & texture heavy do you play the game? [I]What was the reason you chose to use the HD graphics instead of nVidia GT 730 ?
[/I]

@ xRedcrossx

Sorry I forgot to answer this question:

The HD4600 integrated graphics are less trouble than the GT730m. I ended up having to re-install the DX 9c drivers, every time I wanted to play Sims 2. Besides, there was no discernible difference in gameplay quality, between the GT 730m, and the Intel HD4600 graphics. Basically, running Sims 2 on the integrated graphics was far, less trouble.
Page 2 of 2