Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Space Pony
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 9:58 PM Last edited by ruffdog24 : 24th Feb 2018 at 10:20 PM.
Default Routing question
What is the point of having routing terrain that is supposed to keep the camera from going to the edge of the map, if even while in ,at least EIG, it allows you to rotate the camera just outside the edge of the map?
I've used the square brush, at size 100, and gone out about 350 pixels? Whatever one square of space is called in CAW, from the edge of the map on all sides.
I include an screenshot,showing how I can rotate the camera reveling the underside of my world.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 11:09 PM
In my experience you have to use either a distant terrain and/or sculpt the land high enough at the edge you do not want to see, and set the camera back fairly far to avoid seeing the edges in the game. Sometimes I have had to adjust it a few times. I made my own mountain ridge in one world to act as a barrier at the back side.
Test Subject
#3 Old 25th Feb 2018 at 2:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ruffdog24
What is the point of having routing terrain that is supposed to keep the camera from going to the edge of the map, if even while in ,at least EIG, it allows you to rotate the camera just outside the edge of the map?
I've used the square brush, at size 100, and gone out about 350 pixels? Whatever one square of space is called in CAW, from the edge of the map on all sides.
I include an screenshot,showing how I can rotate the camera reveling the underside of my world.

Another thing to keep in mind with EIG -- that kind of camera freedom will only be available to end-users in one and only one (barring mods) situation: if they chose to Edit World and, in Edit World, chose to place new lots or world deco. Outside of that one instance, they will not have nearly the degree of camera freedom and zoom capabilities that you have in EIG. I don't worry much about that situation since, if they're screwing around with lots and world deco, then it's a moot point if the illusion of a continuous massive biger-than-the-play-area world is broken or not.

To really see what the camera will show and wont show through normal play, you need to export your world and run it in Sims 3 proper. As a rule of thumb for my worlds, i always block away 2 chunks (512 px total) on all sides as camera unroutable unless that part of the map leads to an ocean. Even then, on most world designs, a bit of DT is needed as the camera, in map view, can show the edge if the land is low enough and it is in a far corner and rotating.

If you need help with DT, there's a lot of info on how to place premades on this site as well as some really good info on making your own DT with freely available programs. If you need it, shout out and I'll point you in the proper directions. can't be bothered atm, making dinner and all, but will do when I have more time
Space Pony
Original Poster
#4 Old 25th Feb 2018 at 3:25 AM
Oh! I've got distant terrains, 3 sort of liked the look of them combined. Along with mountains and hills blocking all but the ocean side of the world. I didn't know the camera will be different in game, versus in EIG. I kept messing with the camera routing, trying to prevent the camera from reveling the underside of my world. Sitting there thinking any more and I might as well make an island.
I'll export my world and try it!
Thank you so much!
Mad Poster
#5 Old 25th Feb 2018 at 6:31 AM
This really is trial and error. I have done a few exports before getting it just as I wanted. Keep going.