Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Dec 2017 at 1:48 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Flashing Pink Desaster
I play the Ultimate Collection on Windows 10 with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 .

I did the DEP, LAA, removed Securom, used a no-CD.exe, let the game regognize my videocard (with the Graphic Rules Maker), set the texture memory in my Graphic Rules.sgr to the size of my display memory from the DXDiag. I have clean neighborhood templates (from meetmeattheriver), read-only Accessory & Groups caches and a downloads folder around 6 GB.
And if this is important, I always use the Compressorizer and I remove special characters from filenames.

Everything worked fine since last year. But suddenly there a pink flashing objects all around. On the lots, in the catalog, just everywhere.

The last two days I googled and read a lot about this issue and the only thing I found what I haven't done already was the NVIDIA fix from the Lee Fish forum. So I used it. And also updated my my videocard driver. But nothing changed.

Can anybody help me, please?
I miss my game so much.
Attached files:
File Type: 7z  POLLY_DxDiag.7z (12.4 KB, 18 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: 7z  POLLY-config-log.7z (3.1 KB, 14 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 13th Dec 2017 at 3:23 PM
If you have two cards, make sure the game is running on the Nvidia card. If the Nvidia control panel is giving you issues and/or the game won't run on the Nvidia card whatever you do, try to set the Nvidia card as the main processor. From the log file, it looks like your computer is running on the Nvidia card, so that's probably not the problem - but I'm mentioning it just in case.

Some of the changes you've done can potentially cause issues. You should go over and see if you did all of them correctly.

Also, if everything flashes pink from the start, something's gone wrong in your game. The pink-flashing issue usually occurs because the computer runs out of texture memory, and dumps the memory. This msot often happens over some time, not just after starting up the game.

You may also want to check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLkmxAg7r3Y
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 13th Dec 2017 at 3:58 PM
I've had the exact same issue after a recent Windows 10 update, running with a GTX 1070(8gb memory) and an Intel i5-4690k CPU. I tried all possible solutions but it kept happening the moment I booted up the game. What helped for me was to make sure I run the game as an admin and in compatibility mode for Windows 7, deleted all thumbnails and cache files in my Documents, and forced the game to run in the highest possible resolution for my screen. The flashing still occurs at times during long play sessions, but it's the best result I've been able to achieve so far.

My game was running flawlessly for months with Windows 10 on my current setup, this only started to happen a couple of weeks ago.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 13th Dec 2017 at 4:14 PM
Thank you for your reply.

I have only one card and I checked all the changes before I've posted here.

The pink flashing starts not from the start. But after 10 or 20 minutes after I enter a CC free lot without sims. I tried different lots in a new neighborhood.
I also deleted the files in the thumbnails folder and rebooted my computer before I opened the game.

Yes, I've watched the video. But the Graphic Rules Maker did not let me enter the texture memory of my card. Maybe there is the mistake?
I changed it manually in the Graphic Rules.sgr into:
seti textureMemory 16267
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 13th Dec 2017 at 4:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sk8are
My game was running flawlessly for months with Windows 10 on my current setup, this only started to happen a couple of weeks ago.

So we are on the same side.
Did you install new drivers? Because my game was also fine until a few weeks ago.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 13th Dec 2017 at 4:41 PM
Updated them twice after it started to happen, first manually and then some time later through GeForce Experience. Didn't make a noticeable difference.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 13th Dec 2017 at 4:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sk8are
Updated them twice after it started to happen, first manually and then some time later through GeForce Experience. Didn't make a noticeable difference.

Exactly like I did. First after the flashing pink happend, and again today.
Now I am guessing the Windows Update changed something badly for the game.
Test Subject
#8 Old 13th Dec 2017 at 5:28 PM
I have an i5 CPU and GTX1070 card and Windows 10 that was running the game off original discs flawlessly till the middle of November.
I have a very small downloads folder- around 500 MBs- and can play OK for maybe 15- 20 minutes. Just long enough to think that maybe, just maybe,
I reinstalled a driver or changed a setting in the NVidia control panel that fixed the problem.
But no, the flashing pink comes creeping back, sometimes in the catalog thumbnails, sometimes a newspaper or plate or tree starts flashing pink in Live Mode.

I miss my game too.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 13th Dec 2017 at 8:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by bitmap52
I miss my game too.

Let's hope someone can help us. Because christmas time without sims is a sad time.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 13th Dec 2017 at 9:53 PM
Try uninstalling/rolling back any recent updates or drivers.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#11 Old 14th Dec 2017 at 12:13 AM
I found these threads over at Leefish, see if any of those help you. If you make a thread over there, Celebkiriedhel or BoilingOil will try to help you figure it out

http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthre...=41725#pid41725
http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=7106

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Test Subject
#12 Old 14th Dec 2017 at 6:06 PM
I also have a long history with this problem. A long story short, I've tried literally everything and my game still isn't completely free of flashing.

The whole story is here, and it's a thread worth reading. It seems some of the solutions I've tried have helped others at least.

Things that definitely works for me is using less CC and playing only on a smaller lots. Less textures, less problems with the texture memory. The next thing I'm about to do myself is trying to run my game with a graphics card with more memory and see if that helps, but yeah, even if it does help it's not cheap solution at all :D
Mad Poster
#13 Old 14th Dec 2017 at 6:18 PM
try deleting the thumbnail folder. It will regenerate the next time you start the game. This is a tip I got from Justpetro and it works for me.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#14 Old 14th Dec 2017 at 7:38 PM
Did you try increasing your virtual memory?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 14th Dec 2017 at 9:10 PM
Thank you everyone for your suggestions and sharing your experiences. You are wonderful.

Karen Lorraine, today I turned off the Windows automatic graphic drivers update and made a fresh drivers reinstall, like in the link you have posted. But sadly it did not change anything. Now I have also posted my problem over at LeeFish.

Epi7, but my graphic card has already more memory than every card I had before. And I play a maxis match game, avoid high-poly stuff and love tiny houses.

Smorbie, I have deleted the thumbnails folder after every change I have made. But my game is still flashing pink.

gdayars, no, not on this computer. Thank you, I'll do it.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#16 Old 14th Dec 2017 at 10:38 PM
It's not to do with how much memory your graphic card has (a lot helps) but to do with how the game is handling memory (which is not very well by contemporary standards).

I just rolled back Windoze to the previous build. It seems this last update messed with quite a lot of stuff.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Test Subject
#17 Old 14th Dec 2017 at 10:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BinahLaGoaty
Epi7, but my graphic card has already more memory than every card I had before. And I play a maxis match game, avoid high-poly stuff and love tiny houses.

@BinahLaGoaty Yep, it's totally possible that increasing memory of the graphics card doesn't help anything for me either. Like I said at the thread I linked I actually monitored my graphic cards memory usage while I played, and the game seemed to use only about 30% of my GPUs memory. That's not much. Anything I did with my graphic rules file didn't change that, and I really tweaked that file as far as I could.

It seems for me like the game just doesn't know how to use the texture memory correctly.

At the moment I'm starting to wonder if this is something which only occurs when playing UC with Windows 10. Or any game version with Windows 10 actually. If so, it may be because of compatibility issues with Windows 10 itself. If that's the case the problem may be very hard to fix (and it is hard to fix - I've been trying to figure this out for over six months now).

//Edit: maxon beat me to it with their response :D
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#18 Old 15th Dec 2017 at 12:55 AM
@maxon I have never rolled back Windows. I am a little bit scared of messing things up even more if I do. Do I need to reinstall the game if I do?

@Epi7 I don't think Windows 10 is the problem. Because I bought this computer last december and only played the UC on Windows 10 on it. Until now it worked great and I had no problems with it.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#19 Old 15th Dec 2017 at 2:59 AM
We don't mean roll back to a different Window version, we mean those small updates that happen all the time unless you have them turned off.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#20 Old 15th Dec 2017 at 7:30 AM
I have Windows 10, a Nvidia card - I never had to roll back anything. I use the Nvidia texture fix from Leefish - there are 2 files there. Both of the files have to go into your CS and your CSConfig folder in the program files.

Deleting the thumbnails always get rid of pink flashing. (In my case, pink flashing seems to occur after I have recolors in Bodyshop, which I am just experimenting with, and that leads to a high number of CASTThumbnails).
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#21 Old 15th Dec 2017 at 11:10 AM
Rolling back Windoze is up to you - as Jo said, it's rolling back the updates not the version. I found this latest update messed with a lot of stuff - stopped the computer reading DVD videos for one thing. I could probably fix it but it was struggling to do anything. Very slow and for the first time in a long time, I got the flashing pink in game - a sign it's struggling with video memory. Ridiculous, given I have a beast of a machine built specifically for playing far more up-to-date games. So I rolled it back to the previous version which was stable and played stuff just fine. You do it through settings and it can take a while but look up instructions online from Microsoft rather than me giving them to you. You need to make sure you follow the steps - decide for yourself whether you think it's worth it. I use a lot of non-standard stuff (so not Microsoft programmes like Media Player) and Microsoft basically doesn't like you doing that.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 15th Dec 2017 at 12:08 PM
I got the advice for the flashing pink from here: http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=7705 - I always trust Kiri when it comes to advice.
Test Subject
#23 Old 15th Dec 2017 at 7:11 PM Last edited by Epi7 : 15th Dec 2017 at 7:22 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
I got the advice for the flashing pink from here: http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=7705 - I always trust Kiri when it comes to advice.

Just saying, I have read every single thread about flashing from Leefish (there is also my own thread and a long discussion with Kiri) and everything which comes up about this matter from google too. Deleting thumbnails was one of the first things I did when my problems started early this year and that was long before many of the recent Windows updates. BinahLaGoaty also said that they tried removing the thumbnails, and it didn't help. So I'm really happy for everyone who this actually helps (I really am), but it is fair to say that it really doesn't work for many of us. Worth trying, for sure, everything is. Updating the graphic rules-file is a good start too, but it's essential for many other reasons too and not only for the pink flashing, so I do hope that it's something most of the people have done already.

Well, at least I know I'm not alone with this. When I started googling this there wasn't too much information available about the problem. Since the pink flashing seems to be more and more common it's probably true that Windows updates broke something recently, but it's not my case for sure.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#24 Old 15th Dec 2017 at 8:29 PM
@Justpetro I have those Nvidia fixes from LeeFish. I delete the thumbnails folder whenever I change something.

@joandsarah & @maxon today I went through the tutorials from Microsoft and tried the roll back. I deinstalled the latest updates, but after I restarted my computer Windows updated again. At least I had disabled the automatic drivers updates, but I did not found a way of disollowing Windows updates. On my last computer with Windows 7 it was possible.

@Epi7 I feel with you. I too went through everything I found about this problem. Some people could fix their flashing pink, but they had other graphic cards or played on different systems.

I am giving up for now.
Maybe the next Windows update will fix what the last one messed up?
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#25 Old 16th Dec 2017 at 12:48 AM
If you roll back the programme updates with Win10, they should stay un-updated. It will install security fixes and the like but they're not usually a problem. You don't usually choose what to uninstall - you just roll back to the previous version of Win10 - that's the major updates, not the minor stuff.

Page 1 of 2