Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#51 Old 14th Aug 2018 at 2:58 PM
Necroposting. I always used this method for wall masks.

wallmasks tutorial by Numenor

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#52 Old 14th Aug 2018 at 3:36 PM
I've never seen this thread before. May I suggest my mini-tutorial to edit the pie menus for custom foods?

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#53 Old 14th Aug 2018 at 5:05 PM
I'll add them tomorrow (I should be in bed XD). Wish there was a way to sticky this.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#54 Old 14th Aug 2018 at 11:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
I'll add them tomorrow (I should be in bed XD). Wish there was a way to sticky this.

I'll ask an Admin.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#55 Old 15th Aug 2018 at 2:29 AM
Alright, added.
Instructor
#56 Old 16th Aug 2018 at 10:56 AM
Hello, I hope I'm not posting in a bad place with this - I just read this through to find the minitutorials and saw people have been discussing gimp. A while earlier I came across this mini-tutorial: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=510500 that uses gimp, but in what seemed to me a very clumsy and roundabout way for a very simple task. I wanted to write a reply to that thread with updated tips, but there was no way to reply to that thread and I didn't want to start a new one. So I thought of something else after reading this thread: is anyone interested in some mini-tutorials on gimping for simmers? I've only just started recolouring and retexturing objects, so I can't actually help with the more technical sides of things, but I could write down how-tos for simple things like making wall and floor textures using gimp, editing an alphamap (for example for lipstick) in gimp or recolouring from colour swatches in gimp. Is there an interest for how-tos like this?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#57 Old 16th Aug 2018 at 1:42 PM
@AnMal there was no reply button showing for you? That thread is open and you should be able to post on it.

There is always an interest for tutorials, especially up to date ones. Older ones have either had the programs changed making them more confusing or had pictures disappear.

hmm, you only have 2 posts, which may be why. Once you have 5 posts, try again.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
#58 Old 10th Sep 2018 at 12:39 PM
... And here I am, after 5 posts, with a working reply button . And I come bearing links! I did what I should have done before posting first time around: a proper search outside MTS to see what was really missing. And after those searches I realised I don't really have to write up new tutorials, that would only be repeating what others have already done better. So, instread I post some links that could be of use for anyone who wants to start image editing in Gimp for siims purposes. Note that the information in the links may still be too advanced for you if you've never used an image editiing program- If you're all new to image editing you could join a Gimp forum to get the basic tips and tricks and some hand-holding first!

A general note: Most of the newer tutorials are written for Gimp 2.8, which is the version I use most myself and the one I specifically recommend for a beginner. 2.10 is out now but in its first shaky stages. If you have 2.10, not enough has changed to make it really confusing - you will find the general transformations (scale, shear, rotate, etc) under one tool icon and some of the menu items are labelled differently, but not so differently you can't figure out what is what. Also, when you look for tutorials on Gimp for sims online, it's better to look at tutorials written for sims 3 or 4, as those are usually written for Gimp 2.8. Sims 2 tutorials tend to be older and written for outdated Gimp versions and the actual image editing process is much the same no matter what version of the game you want to create for.

IaKoa's tutorials - Not one, but many tutorials, some usiing Gimp with good explanations. IaKoa also posted Pooklet's colours as Gimp curves, and gives a good explanation on how to use curve presets in Gimp. Tutorials were written for Gimp 2.8.
Making patterned walls in Gimp (for sims4) - Skip all the sims 4-specific parts and just watch the Gimp parts if you've never tried to create walls using Gimp. Useful and simply explained.
How to recolour a CAS item (for sims 4) in Gimp - describes a simple recolour made with Gimp. Again, good for beginners.
Recolouring using palette and colour swatches in Gimp - Another way to make recolours, a bit more involved than the first. This is much the same process I would use for the same type of project.
Adding shading/highlighting to a texture in Gimp - Something I've done a lot to make for example crown moulding for walls in Gimp. Easy enough tutorial to understand.

There are many more well written tutorials out there too, these are just some that I can recommend.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#59 Old 11th Sep 2018 at 7:25 AM
Added to first post.
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#60 Old 11th Sep 2018 at 8:51 AM
This is a really useful thread, but I noticed that some of the tutorials are actually threads with the tutorial as the first post. I think if the thread owner asks a moderator to move the thread to the tutorials forum suited to it's subject then the links to the tutorial show on the thread owners profile. This won't work for the offsite tutorials of course

Example Profile: http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=42165 - click on the creativity tab.

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Theorist
#61 Old 11th Sep 2018 at 10:47 AM
I remember asking for some of my tutorials to be moved to appropriate sections (because I was hunting for that tutorials badge back in the day ), but mods didn't know where to put mine. So, they remained on the general board.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#62 Old 11th Sep 2018 at 12:27 PM
I didn't want proper tutorials, as they can go in the tutorials forum. Just ones that were in the middle of threads and could get lost.
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#63 Old 11th Sep 2018 at 2:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
I didn't want proper tutorials, as they can go in the tutorials forum. Just ones that were in the middle of threads and could get lost.

Yea, I see the purpose, that was why I pointed out that the ones that are threads could go in the tutorials forum if moved. Of course, if nobody knows where to put the tutorials once written then this thread is a good spot to link them in.

I had another suggestion for the links in the first post, did you know that if you click on the # next to the post number then you get a link like below?

http://www.modthesims.info/showpost...88&postcount=39

That opens the post in a new tab in the browser.

Mad Poster
#64 Old 11th Sep 2018 at 9:46 PM
I have one here about fixing general problems when playing UC - it is a sticky post (I was very flattered to see that ) - in the help section, but in case somebody else needs it: http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=614833 - if you want to add that one, Charity.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#65 Old 16th Sep 2018 at 4:50 PM
Thanks for the tip on post numbers.

Added the new tutorial.

Should I keep the tutorials here that are proper tutorials with their own threads or should I delete them?
Mad Poster
#66 Old 3rd Dec 2018 at 9:52 AM
I'm not sure if this belongs here, but I posted a few extra steps to try before doing a 50/50. I can't imagine I'm the only person who hates doing them.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#67 Old 3rd Dec 2018 at 11:29 AM
Added (6 chars lol).
Alchemist
#68 Old 24th Jan 2019 at 9:42 PM
Here's a few things that I've worked on that I think are a bit hard to find.

This is part of a tutorial, but, I think, still a bit hard to find. It's on changing the models of objects, but this part is adding that capability to a modded object that doesn't have it already - for example, it tells how to change the model of Larky's Semester Tester from the giant apple sculpture to something more suitable for your lot. http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...511#post5489511

Here's another on how to make your sim parents act like better parents with a cocktail of mods that stop them putting babies on the floor, etc.
http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...587#post5358587

This is a link to Moo's Tutorial on GridAdjuster for making a no-slope basement, which is surprisingly difficult to find as it's rather buried in the thread...
http://www.modthesims.info/download...894#post3180894
and a link to a post I did that makes the math required in that tutorial a bit easier to figure out.
http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...662#post5405662
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#69 Old 26th Jan 2019 at 1:42 PM
Thanks. I added all of them except the first one, because I want the ones hidden in threads, not the ones in the tutorials forum.
Alchemist
#70 Old 30th Jan 2019 at 1:02 AM
Added a brief tutorial on making NPCs look like playables with SimSurgery
http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...940#post5492940
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#71 Old 30th Jan 2019 at 10:47 AM
Added (oh come on it was 6 chars).
Alchemist
#72 Old 31st Jan 2019 at 6:44 PM
This is also a very informative thread that I think fits here. I asked how to grab information from the game so that it can be sorted in a spreadsheet and after a few false starts, we got that answer.
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=616359

I want to say that I'm really glad you did this. I find important tutorials and info buried all the time.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#73 Old 2nd Feb 2019 at 3:46 AM
And done.
Mad Poster
#74 Old 18th Feb 2019 at 2:45 PM
Default Making Interesting Sims in BodyShop, by Jessa :)
This might be already known to many of you, but I personally fell on this recently. I thought it was worth posting in here, as it gives quite beautiful results!

I had to try it of course, how would I know otherwise right?
First pic is the random sim.
Second pic is after all the slider craziness.
Third one is my result.
And last pic is my refined version.
Screenshots

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Trainee Moderator
staff: trainee moderator
#75 Old 19th Feb 2019 at 7:00 PM
Maybe this one here could be helpful.

http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=553111

Catalogue of Custom Neighborhoods for TS2
All Hood Building Group neighborhoods are available here
Want to get rid of EA's sims in neighborhoods? Check out my Clean and Empty Steatlh Hoods and Clean and Empty Neighborhood Templates
My Simblr
Page 3 of 4