Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Aug 2017 at 1:56 PM Last edited by Goldenbtrfly : 9th Sep 2017 at 6:20 AM. Reason: uploaded, roof fixed!
Default TS2 - Roof Issues [Uploaded Now- Thanks!]
Welp, here it is. I knew this would happen, so try not to toss my WHOLE body on the spit guys.
This roof... GRRRRR. I just need some feedback.
Any help is appreciated. I am OK with scrapping the whole roof if it will help it out.

Let me know what other pictures you need. I was in a hurry.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 24th Aug 2017 at 5:46 PM
Lowering the pitch of the pertruding roof, heightening the pitch of the main roof or a little bit of both should seal the deal.

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#3 Old 25th Aug 2017 at 1:10 AM
While I agree with Johnny Bravo about the what to do part, I believe the how to do it is a bit more complicated. In TS3 we have a roof pitch slider that I believe doesn't exist in TS2. You have to use a cheat in TS2, and it depends on which eps you have. I found this thread, but I'm sure there are better ones: http://modthesims.info/t/211496
Though perhaps you already knew this, either way-

Calling TS2 help: @joandsarah77 and @Zarathustra Thanks!!!!

Need help building? Mentoring4Builders: Click Here
Get in the swim- Mermaidia
New at Simszoo
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 25th Aug 2017 at 2:44 AM
Thanks Johnny and attuned, I just was so frazzled with this that I gave up and said - get help. Haha! We do actually have a roof pitch tool in the game that I can play with a bit. I believe the lower one is at 20 degrees or so, and the taller one at 30. I'll wait and see what the two you tagged have to say as well, but I'm going to go see what I can do in the meantime. Thanks again!
Mad Poster
#5 Old 25th Aug 2017 at 2:47 AM
Using the roof pitch slider is the easiest option, to be sure... I'd play around with that a lot before launching into any more complex solutions involving CFE and dummy levels and whatnot...

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 25th Aug 2017 at 5:54 AM
We have a very easy to use roof pitch slider, you just adjust it and click. It's between 15 and 45 degrees Golden.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 25th Aug 2017 at 6:21 AM
OK, thanks guys... I have some new pics here:

and while I have you guys here.... does this look better in terms of exterior paneling?

Thanks guys. It really does feel better to run things I am uncertain on by someone else!
Alchemist
#8 Old 25th Aug 2017 at 10:08 AM
I like the new cladding But I'm not sure about the roof because I don't see any difference in the first 2 pictures while the last looks like it was beforehand.

#9 Old 25th Aug 2017 at 10:44 AM
OK, thanks! I'll try to get a better angle in the morning, so the difference is clearer.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 25th Aug 2017 at 11:03 AM
The pitch looks fine on all of them, go with whichever one you prefer. I tend to make roofs like that flow together, so no obvious join from above. (just looking at your first post pictures)

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
dodgy builder
#11 Old 25th Aug 2017 at 11:30 AM
The different parts of that house doesn't meet anywhere. If you make them meet someplace at the back the angle is easier to adjust. If you make a part of the house wider, the roof will be higher and then take the higher priority, if Bravo agrees. I think you should work on the layout of the house, rather than the pitch of the roof. To make the house more interesting, you could instead have a porch around it, and use the sloped angle roof. You can also just have some ceilingtiles above the door area or something, just to brake it up a bit.

I'm just throwing out some ideas here.

If you decide to go with the layout you have, I would go for a slightly heigher angle and the same angle on both roofs ... considering they don't really start in the same place.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 25th Aug 2017 at 3:09 PM
Yeah, that's the part that kind of makes my eye twitch too is that there is an obvious join on the roof, but I want to keep this under 30k (it was supposed to be 25k, but that's another story), so definitely doing anything about the layout is a no-go. (It's a bit of a strange house layout inside too - will post a pic and a backstory on it.) I can try the angled roof suggestion for sure and see how it goes, but I just can't seem to get a roof that flows together, so I said screw it, at least look good from street view then!
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#13 Old 25th Aug 2017 at 4:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Goldenbtrfly
Yeah, that's the part that kind of makes my eye twitch too is that there is an obvious join on the roof, but I want to keep this under 30k (it was supposed to be 25k, but that's another story), so definitely doing anything about the layout is a no-go. (It's a bit of a strange house layout inside too - will post a pic and a backstory on it.) I can try the angled roof suggestion for sure and see how it goes, but I just can't seem to get a roof that flows together, so I said screw it, at least look good from street view then!

A roof like this maybe?
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#14 Old 25th Aug 2017 at 7:56 PM
OK, I think I have it now, guys! *happy dance* Thanks for showing me it could be done, MLC! Do I still need to tweak the roof pitch? I did lower it.

This house honestly was designed for a heavily introverted family who never have visitors and whose occupants would work from home in a home office, hence the odd layout and no "visitor" bathrooms. It was really made custom for a family I am making, but if it's stupid I'll slap it on Tumblr. Opinions?

Former Hamster
retired moderator
#15 Old 25th Aug 2017 at 10:00 PM
I think the roof pitch looks good. If you lower it too much more it would look "squashed" over those little... balconies? (I think my example roof was set at 30, I like lower-pitched roofs unless I 'm going for a barn roof.)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#16 Old 26th Aug 2017 at 2:10 AM
Yes, that's it GB. I usually find something between 28-35 works, but I also like low pitched roofs. Probably because I come from Australia-no snow!

~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#17 Old 26th Aug 2017 at 2:59 AM
I agree, Jo, I usually stick to 30 as my go-to for roof pitch. :thumbs up:
Thanks for the help, everyone.
Scholar
#18 Old 26th Aug 2017 at 3:10 AM
Others have made great comments on the roof so I will just comment on the siding and layout. I would suggest maybe a different wallpaper on the outside part of the house where the dining area is. (Is something going on with the chairs in the dining area? They don't look "joined" to the table.) Or, change the wallpaper on the front gable end only (not the other gable ends). To me, it looks like the whole front view is too much the same. Without looking really closely, it's hard to tell the dining room extension is there. The back and side are cute with the rock wallpaper and the sunflowers! On the layout, I'd suggest angling the rug in the living room area and/or angling the sofa/loveseat. Maybe add an angled piece of wall coming off the wall behind the bookcase and put the bookcase on the angle. Then move the loveseat over some and add a chair or something. This would break up all the furniture being square up against the walls. If you could move the bookcase into the "science room", you could try a 3 seat sofa or adding a chair perpendicular - or angled - next to the couch. The rest of the layout looks fine to me. Good job!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#19 Old 26th Aug 2017 at 4:03 AM
@SimmyRN In sims 2 the chairs stay out until you move a sim in and press live mode, then they scoot in. That is how we like to see them in a lot for upload since it means no sim has lived there, since sims having been moved in cause corruption. Chairs can be scooted in with a cheat but it has to be done carefully or sims will complain they can't use it.

~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
#20 Old 26th Aug 2017 at 5:53 AM
Happy to learn that TS2 has a roof pitch slider also. The cottage is darling Golden, and I think MLC steered you in the right direction roof- wise.

Roofing is tricky and you often need to try several different options. The best advice I have ever read is to place a roof on the largest section of the house first, and then add the smaller sections. Sometimes even though a house is larger right to left, when seen from overhead, the largest section is back to front, or the other way around.

Good luck- it's looking great!

Need help building? Mentoring4Builders: Click Here
Get in the swim- Mermaidia
New at Simszoo
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#21 Old 26th Aug 2017 at 6:12 PM
SimmyRN, I totally hear you on things being very 'square' in the living room, and to be honest I never angle anything except deco items, because I like the furniture usable. It bugs me to no end when I download a house and have to spend a half hour moving chairs and whatnot that were placed off-grid, just so I can actually play! Haha, I will play with the arrangement a bit though or see about a cheap coffee table. I'll also see what kind of siding I can find to try and break things up a bit. I tend to struggle with knowing how much house to cover with different types of siding.

attuned, thanks for the compliment and continued advice. I really appreciate all the feedback from everyone. It's nice to know what others see that you may not.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#22 Old 27th Aug 2017 at 3:10 AM
You can use lounge chairs on an angle and off grid. If you mean your sims can't sit and watch TV, that would be a mod. http://modthesims.info/d/462269 Most of us use that.

~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#23 Old 27th Aug 2017 at 7:48 PM Last edited by Goldenbtrfly : 27th Aug 2017 at 8:41 PM.
Oh it's totally not that @joandsarah77 I meant the couches and various other living room items. I was under the impression that unless placed veeeery carefully that Sims wouldn't be able to use the couches at all, grab books from bookshelves, etc. I don't want to give anyone "angle madness" when downloading a house, haha! If this is NOT true, awesome I will start using more angled furniture immediately!

Edit: OK, yeah I was able to angle things and they work, albeit the Sim walks through the couch, haha and does this weird sideways glitch shimmy when getting up. I'll certainly keep it in mind though. I think this is the last post before upload unless there are major issues with the look. I attached a photo.
Screenshots
Alchemist
#24 Old 27th Aug 2017 at 10:11 PM
Certainly not a major issue, but given the modern look of the home I'd suggest using the same wallpaper you use on the foundation, instead of the stone, for a more 'complete' and clean look.

ETA: While writing that I hadn't had the clapboard siding in mind, perhaps a dark, but symmetrical (Brick for example) would work.

#25 Old 27th Aug 2017 at 10:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Goldenbtrfly
Oh it's totally not that @joandsarah77 I meant the couches and various other living room items. I was under the impression that unless placed veeeery carefully that Sims wouldn't be able to use the couches at all, grab books from bookshelves, etc. I don't want to give anyone "angle madness" when downloading a house, haha! If this is NOT true, awesome I will start using more angled furniture immediately!

Edit: OK, yeah I was able to angle things and they work, albeit the Sim walks through the couch, haha and does this weird sideways glitch shimmy when getting up. I'll certainly keep it in mind though. I think this is the last post before upload unless there are major issues with the look. I attached a photo.

It's table and chairs, you know a dining setting that you have to place carefully. Not on an angle though, those don't work on an angle at all, but if you place the set with the quarter tile cheat. Those need to be play tested so you see the chairs scoot in, if they scoot they are usable if they don't scoot they won't be usable. The small fire place can be used in a corner but only if placed carefully. The sim needs slightly more space on the left. I know because i placed it in my farm house and it took 4 tests with slightly moving it until my test copy would allow a sim to light it. I won't be placing that on an angle again. Also if you download a house from here with noticeable play issues that the creator doesn't mention 'XYZ is for deco and not usable' please let them know. We do look for play issues when moderating but of course we can only pick up what we know, we don't always download a lot and check it or lots in queue could take a week. You can now place the easel on an angle but need to mention the new mod that makes it usable. If you as a builder are unsure of how you placed items please play test a copy. There is some funny clipping, like with the piano or beds, but they do work.

I don't care too much for that new wall covering there. I didn't see anything wrong with the siding you had. Cheaper homes are often covered in cladding. If you are unhappy with the siding experiment with wall coverings. Given it's a cheap house the wall covering would probably be paint, or some kind of fake brick.

~Call me Jo~

Page 1 of 2