Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Jan 2017 at 3:21 AM
Default What keeps you coming back to the original, even though the newer games offer so much more?
I always get an itch to play for some reason, and can't tell why. Nostalgia? Simplicity? It's style? What do you think?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 15th Jan 2017 at 3:37 AM Last edited by Zarathustra : 15th Jan 2017 at 5:15 AM.
I could name any number of things from the gameplay to the design to the catalog, but TBH, I'd be lying if I pretended one of the main reasons wasn't simply that my ancient laptop can actually handle it!

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 15th Jan 2017 at 4:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Zarathustra
I could name any number of things from the gameplay to the design to the catalog, but TBH, I'd be lying if I pretended one of the main reasons was simply that my ancient laptop can actually handle it!

Now I remember that's one reason I kept playing it for so long, too! I didn't have a great computer for such a long time so The Sims it was! Also I didn't even realise what the sequels had until ~2010.
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 15th Jan 2017 at 11:28 AM
Interesting NPC's and that weird, wacky and old-timey artstyle... and music, oohhh music!

I would lie if I said that the original sims wasn't a simulation game, but it is a less of a simulation and more of a game than it's sequels. Harder game, yeah, but interesting an unique, more so than any other Sims game. And there is even nostalgia... all of those factor in to keep me still playing it.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 15th Jan 2017 at 2:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mixa97sr
Interesting NPC's and that weird, wacky and old-timey artstyle... and music, oohhh music!

I would lie if I said that the original sims wasn't a simulation game, but it is a less of a simulation and more of a game than it's sequels. Harder game, yeah, but interesting an unique, more so than any other Sims game. And there is even nostalgia... all of those factor in to keep me still playing it.

Yeah thr game did have that 50s American pop culture thing going on if that makes any sense
Forum Resident
#6 Old 17th Jan 2017 at 2:22 PM Last edited by parrot999 : 17th Jan 2017 at 2:45 PM.
Giant sleeping Will Wright with a can of beans...

I wish he'd wake up and make a spiritual successor in the spirit of the first two games... Well, before The Sims 2 had a bunch of less charming, and tonally consistant content shoved into it... I feel by Freetime, all the charm Will Wright and others imparted into the game was watered down somewhat by the slew of uninspired items and ideas... The stuff from the later packs are still fun (not exactly something sayable about everything sims related at this point), just not as memorable or charming, which definately set the stage for 3...

Less cowplant, giant sleeping will wright, bubble blowers, drunk enchanted gnomes, and grilled cheese aspiration, more shitty Witch Alignment System, complete with neon anemia evil witches and good ones that look like their face woohooed a glitter machine, boring looking replicator and teleporters, thousands of uninspired chair designs... So much dullness, unoriginality, and inconsistancy of artistic design and direction... Bleh!
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 23rd Jan 2017 at 7:14 PM
The music is a huge factor. I wish I could replace the music in Sims 3 with it. The gameplay itself. And of course the nostalgic factor. It's just fun.

Andy: This year for Christmas, everyone's getting a handshake and an I.O.U.
Forum Resident
#8 Old 24th Jan 2017 at 4:15 AM Last edited by Averex : 7th Aug 2018 at 7:30 PM.
Honestly, I could go into a long paragraph about it, but I think this video sums up why I enjoy it so much:

It just has all these little quirks and things that give it its own charm and unique sense of humor that you just don't see in the later games. The Sims 2 also had a bit of the humor and charm, but The Sims 1 did it better in my opinion.

The simmer formerly known as Averex
My Claim to Fame
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#9 Old 24th Jan 2017 at 7:21 AM
I agree with @Averex. :lovestruc

Forum Resident
#10 Old 24th Jan 2017 at 11:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
I agree with @Averex. :lovestruc

I miss the prank phone calls so much

The simmer formerly known as Averex
My Claim to Fame
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 9th Feb 2017 at 8:23 PM
I come back to the best game every day. The prank calls, the tragic clown... So entertaining and nostalgic. Sometimes, we need to go back to the basics.
Instructor
#12 Old 11th Feb 2017 at 8:08 AM
I'm not play very often lately, but Sims 1 has aways been installed in my PC. While the graphics and the story progression are definetely better in the new games, nothing can be compared to its simplicity. And even though there are lots of conversions, mods and new objects everyday, Makin'Magic will always be my love <3
Scholar
#13 Old 16th Feb 2017 at 12:16 PM
Makin’ Magic! That EP is definitely the best of all in all sims games to me, it just has that something that you actually feel the magic, and there are lots of fun things like drunk gnomes. Music is also the best in the series, I replaced TS2 music with it. And in general I think it’s a good game (a lot better than TS4 to me), and I have some nostalgic feelings towards it given that I was a little child when I started playing.

“Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
Simblr
My profile on the official forums
Test Subject
#14 Old 18th Feb 2017 at 2:09 PM
Soundtrack, simplicity, the actually evil looking Grim Reaper, COMIC SANS, the random dialogues when you pick up the phone. Too much to say.
Field Researcher
#15 Old 19th Feb 2017 at 10:21 PM
I'm also in a situation where it's the only Sims game that will work on the computer I have to use at this moment in time. Believe it or not I never really used much of the vacation, magic, or "Superstar" expansions/areas when I was younger, so when I play it these days I usually pick a family that would go well with any of those.

Also, every so often I'll get a laugh at something I made or downloaded years ago.
Test Subject
#16 Old 20th Feb 2017 at 6:28 PM
I started playing Sims 1 again in early january because I wanted to play but without game lag. The charm, quirks, and nostalgia definitely keep me hooked. There's a simplicity to it. In Sims 2 or 3 I have cc and I get heavily into story telling. Sims 1 allows me to loosen up with my characters and story lines. Plus Superstar and Makin Magic are just gold.
Hanging with the Gnomies
#17 Old 21st Feb 2017 at 7:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Voeille
Makin’ Magic! That EP is definitely the best of all in all sims games to me, it just has that something that you actually feel the magic, and there are lots of fun things like drunk gnomes.

Merry, we are merry gnomes.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 5th Mar 2017 at 8:26 AM
It is, to me, like my first love. It had kitsch, an innovative concept of playing with dolls with the ability to function on their own depending on Free Will settings, it showed many possibilities of a future.

I don't mind 2, 3, and 4 or even if there will be a 5. I like to get back to my roots and take into account where it started.

Disney's Cartoon universe started with Mickey Mouse and his friends and one of my favorite shorts was a Donald Duck one where he made a plastic airplane, but as he flew it, it started to rain. The radio program gave play-by-play warnings of parts melting off in the rain (My best guess was plastics in that sort of application were experimental)

In any case, for those who grew up with the Sims 1, you'd understand how precious a good memory can be when you start at the beginning.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Mad Poster
#19 Old 10th Mar 2017 at 2:23 AM
Like many here said, it's simple, but very engaging. The music is wonderful and happy, there's so much comedy that was never repeated in the same way. It is a first love. It's also so much fun to test the limits of the game engine and play in wacky ways.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Test Subject
#20 Old 12th Mar 2017 at 5:50 PM
Two words: Makin' Magic! Honestly, that was the BEST ep Sims came out with EVER. Yeah sure, they added magical items and stuff the the future game, but they haven't had something like Magic Town and that was the best part of the game!
Test Subject
#21 Old 20th Mar 2017 at 7:40 PM
I played the Sims when I was young, so it's a bit of a nostalgia thing. However, I was about 10 at the time, and I didn't really get the full experience because I spent most of my time causing mayhem instead of actually playing. As I play now, I learn and notice so many new things about the game that I never knew about. I'm actually a Sims 2 player myself, but the computer I usually play on has been acting up and I haven't gotten around to fixing it. The Sims 1, 3, and 4 are on my everyday laptop so I get to choose between those. Generally I'm too impatient to wait for Sims 3 to load, and I'm not particularly interested in the Sims 4 right now.

It's also just a good game. I continuously choose to play it over Sims 3 and 4 (though to be fair, I don't have all the EPs for Sims 3 and only have the base game for Sims 4), and I enjoy it immensely. It's a bit challenging and different, but definitely fun.
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 19th Jun 2017 at 12:08 AM
Definitely nostalgia and the graphics! I played it when I was little and the simpler, isometric view just gives me warm fuzzy feelings ♥
Mad Poster
#23 Old 22nd Jun 2017 at 9:50 PM
Nostalgia. Nothing less, nothing more!
Field Researcher
#24 Old 19th Jul 2017 at 4:45 PM
I remember first getting TS1, I was in 8th grade and it was the year 2000. So much has changed from then!

I think the BEST FEELING IN THE WORLD was when Livin' Large came out. It's still I think one of my all time favorite EP's because all it did was add objects -- and tons of them! Nothing to me has felt the same since then.

Also -- does anyone remember all the "hubbub" over the Bay Window and the Old Prude in Hot Date???? There were like a bunch of patches and I remember that you had to install something and also make sure you had 567 MB of free space on your hard drive at the time of installation or it wouldn't work correctly. That was back when my computer I think had a 4 GB hard drive :-)
Field Researcher
#25 Old 19th Jul 2017 at 6:13 PM
Even though I never had the first game (I know I missed out on a lot in my childhood, but I honestly never heard of the sims until late 2009 lol), once I finally did three years ago, I had a fun time. The main reason I keep going back is the music, the more entertaining interactions and animations, the simplicity, and just...it's just so indescribably neat playing a later installment and going back to 1, seeing just how the franchise series first got started.
Page 1 of 2