Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Autonomous ocean swimming depending on season, temperature, personality, etc.

by Lamare Posted 6th Oct 2016 at 4:04 PM - Updated 8th Apr 2019 at 9:27 AM by Lamare : added known issues

27 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 17 Feedback Posts, 9 Thanks Posts
Thanks are currently OFF: Show Thanks Posts for this thread
Page 1 of 2
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator THANKS POST
#2 Old 6th Oct 2016 at 6:56 PM
Thanks - nice development of Inge's mod.
Theorist
THANKS POST
#3 Old 6th Oct 2016 at 8:12 PM
Great! This looks really well thought out - thank you.
Instructor
THANKS POST
#4 Old 6th Oct 2016 at 9:59 PM
This should make my game more fun. It was annoying that guests would not go swimming.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 6th Oct 2016 at 10:47 PM
This sounds marvelous, but I'd want to make sure: does this mean that random passers-by on beachfront roads will go on your Sim's residential lots to swim? I'm not sure whether I want my walk-bys to be THAT friendly.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
just a girl
Original Poster
#6 Old 7th Oct 2016 at 1:21 AM
Thanks for the kind words guys.

@gazania, visitors need to be greeted to do stuff on your private beach.
Though I'm not sure about those very rare occasions, when a friend suddenly comes into your house without any invitation and does whatever s/he wants. This happend to me a few times, but not for a while.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator THANKS POST
#7 Old 7th Oct 2016 at 1:38 AM
Cool, can't wait to try this out in my beach hood.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#8 Old 8th Oct 2016 at 3:14 PM
Wonderful mod, thank you!
Test Subject
#9 Old 8th Oct 2016 at 8:18 PM
Thank you. It works fine in my game, I have seen autonomous swimming in the ocean during summertime in my game using your mod. - I have all the original games and stuff packs with the base game and nightlife combi. I have a heck of alot of mods and custom content, no clashes on hack diff at all. Great work :-)
just a girl
Original Poster
#10 Old 9th Oct 2016 at 12:51 AM
Hey guys. I updated the mod in light of some new information about outdoor temperature on community lots. Please see big update note at the top of the main download post.

It's not totally necessary to redownload, but you might want to.

Also, thanks for your comments and don't hesitate to ask or suggest something about this mod.
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#11 Old 12th Oct 2016 at 7:14 PM
Thanks very much for updating this for community lots. I'm trying it out in my game now.
just a girl
Original Poster
#12 Old 11th Dec 2016 at 10:00 PM
New update!

Now robots won't autonomously get in sea to swim. Servos are spared the misery thanks to helpful tip from gummilutt and BoilingOil

See the update note and redownload if you wish.
Forum Resident
#13 Old 12th Jun 2017 at 4:51 PM Last edited by LilSister : 12th Jun 2017 at 11:25 PM. Reason: correction and clarity
I really enjoy having this mod in my game. Now my Sims who own beach houses can house a proper party with their guest being able to swim and enjoy all beach activities. My only concern is that the advertising is so high that Sims ignore their needs (hunger, bathroom. comfort, and energy) to the point of desperation. Even if the action is cancelled to make the Sim stop swimming and get out of the water; instead of attending to their needs they are pushed to get back in the sea. I wish the mod allowed Sims be behave more sensibly when it comes to taking care of their needs.
just a girl
Original Poster
#14 Old 12th Jun 2017 at 9:48 PM
@LilSister, thank you.
This mod doesn't cover swimming itself, only getting in, but now that I have more experience, I'll do some research on it.
Meanwhile, advertising for getting in sea is easy to fix. It'll help if you answer this: After the action was cancelled, were those sims who got back in sea overheated or was their temperature normal or cold?
Forum Resident
#15 Old 12th Jun 2017 at 11:23 PM
Forgive me if I didn't word it correctly - I was specifically talking about the "push" to get into the sea, not the action of swimming. After the action was cancelled the Sims temperatures were normal. I use the "get in the sea patch except winter."
just a girl
Original Poster
#16 Old 24th Jun 2017 at 3:19 AM Last edited by Lamare : 24th Jun 2017 at 4:02 AM.
Default Update
Hi! Update is here.

What's new?
1. Sims with active personality, enthusiasm for fitness and/or wearing swimsuits are more likely to get in sea.
2. For lazy sims, during the night and/or wearing formal wear, it is less likely to go swimming.
3. If sims have low motives or are wearing outerwear, they do not get in sea autonomously.
4. Swimming interaction is pushed on sims immediately once they're in water, so they actively swim instead of wandering around.
5. Sims are less obsessed about the sea and behave more normally now, according to testing.

Because of #4 I recommend to redownload, even if you don't care about other changes that much.

Thanks for testing, LilSister.
Top Secret Researcher
THANKS POST
#17 Old 30th Jun 2017 at 1:53 PM
What a useful mod! Thank you
And both versions sound appealing to me, I guess I'll try both and see which one I'd rather keep. And we can even change based on which neighbourhood we currently play.
I'm playing some stranded-on-a-beach challenge right now, it's the perfect time to find out about your mod^^
Forum Resident
#18 Old 21st Sep 2017 at 3:02 PM
This is one of those mods that make you wonder how you ever played the game without it. Sims get in the water and swim when they want, and take care of their needs (bathroom, eating, etc.). Visiting Sims enjoy swimming and Townie Sims now enjoy getting in the water at the community beach. I have so much fun watching my Sims enjoy the beach. Thanks again.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 27th Oct 2017 at 12:27 AM
I've got a sim swimming in the ground/floor (something I'd never seen before), and this mod seems like the most likely culprit, as I haven't installed anything else recently that should be having any effect on swimming.

It's probably not the best picture, but it was much easier to see how she was "swimming" while the game was un-paused, and of course I can't exactly get a picture of that. So far it's just this sim (one of two custom tourists I made some time ago), so I'm wondering if it's more of a random glitch to do with her in particular than an overall problem. It doesn't seem to be much of an actual issue, but it does look really odd and is somewhat distracting.
Screenshots
just a girl
Original Poster
#20 Old 28th Oct 2017 at 9:16 PM
@Rosawyn
Hi. Since the mod changes autonomy, it's unexpected, but let's see...
1. What can you tell me about the lot? If it is custom built, does it have beach portals in the right places?
2. Have the sim been moved using moveobjects cheat or resetted out of the water, by any chance?
3. Does the sim get in the ocean the usual way and then make her way into the sand, or does she start swimmimng right in the sand without going to the shore? Does she get out like sims would normally get out?
Mad Poster
#21 Old 28th Oct 2017 at 9:42 PM
1. It's a beach hotel that came with BV, minor edits made by me (I think I added the campfire on the beach there, which is where she first started swimming in the land - she was sitting at the campfire and then suddenly swimming in the land). I didn't change the beach portals at all, but is it possible I somehow managed to mess them up by placing the campfire?
2. I didn't move any sims on this lot with move objects, and I haven't reset any sims on this lot. My playables were only there for a couple of days on their honeymoon.
3. She just pops in and out of the land. As I said just above, I first saw her do it by the campfire; she was sitting next to the campfire, and I think she stood up and then suddenly popped down into the sand like that. It looked really weird, so I took a picture. She later popped down into the floor of the hotel lobby, which looked even weirder, but I didn't take a pic.

Not sure if it's relevant at all, but she's a custom tourist I made (with alien genetics, obviously). She was turned into a properly functioning tourist on my second attempt (I think I tried the teleporter cat the first time, but whatever I used first didn't work). She's been toursting about for some time now, though various sims' vacations, and it's just now that she's suddenly achieved this "Chuck Norris" ability to swim through land.

I'm thinking whatever is broken may have been broken for quite some time but I never noticed it until now, because I've never had my tourists attempt ocean swimming before.
just a girl
Original Poster
#22 Old 28th Oct 2017 at 10:39 PM
Thanks. I'll go to that hotel and see if I can recreate the situation. Maybe that'll help.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 29th Oct 2017 at 5:26 PM
It's Potterhouse Bungalows. Just realized I probably wasn't specific enough by just saying it was "a beach hotel."
just a girl
Original Poster
#24 Old 2nd Nov 2017 at 6:52 AM
@Rosawyn, hi again.
So I was able to recreate the situation. Kind of. In my little experiment, I pulled out one sim and reseted it. Then all the sims that were swimming at that time errored out and started swim-walking. I don't know why messing with one sim affects all the swimmers, but it does -- I checked twice. I don't know how it might have happened in your game. There may be other ways to trigger this, I just have no idea what they might be.
Since locomotion didn't fix itself, I fixed swim-walkers by selling them in buy mode with moveobjects on. They were all tourists, by the way. After a few minutes, they all got back to hotel right as rain. If buy mode isn't working, you can delete sims by forcing error -> delete. Be carefull with selling playables though. When I deleted all controllable sims in hotel, I lost access to live mode and had to delete vacation destination in order to load home lot and regain control of the family.
So far, I haven't found any clues to how and *if* my mod may be causing this glitch. If I find out anything new, I'll post it.
Mad Poster
#25 Old 2nd Nov 2017 at 7:26 AM
Thanks so much for looking into that. It's good to know that it's a fixable bug, at any rate.
Page 1 of 2