Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Jun 2016 at 4:07 PM Last edited by chi168 : 21st May 2017 at 6:58 PM.
Default :Edited: Now looking for help on Green Hills map
Hello, um, this is the first time I even post in the forums so please be gentle...
So I have made a map for Sims 2, yet nameless, and I know there are some problems,( beach lots for example, they just don't want to be placed! fixed!) What can I do about it? I'd also like some pointers about how I can make it more interesting or maybe more easily played, I am new to both using and making maps so I guess I am lacking a bit in experience.

So, this world has been finished since... well a long time and I never uploaded it because I thought it had to be able to be used without a camera mode, (which it obviously isn't), so I was just using it for myself. My reason for editing this is I cannot get the pictures (lush, concrete, etc.) to show when I am choosing this map. Since I decided to upload it i need some help, what am i doing wrong?
I have attached the pictures that I want to use.
Screenshots
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 8th Jun 2016 at 4:36 PM
In order to make beach lots work, I think your terrain at the coast needs to be lower. You'd need to re-edit the terrain file. Are you doing it in Sim City 4?

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Jun 2016 at 4:42 PM
yes I am but I am finding the editing tool to be a bit tricky once I've left God mode.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 8th Jun 2016 at 5:29 PM
I can't get a good look at the roads. A larger, clearer shot would help in forming an opinion.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 8th Jun 2016 at 5:54 PM
I must admit I can't quite figure out how to make it bigger... print screen?
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 8th Jun 2016 at 8:10 PM
After the (way too many)th retry, i can place some beach lots!
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#7 Old 8th Jun 2016 at 8:46 PM
Use something like Fraps for shots in game - the quality is much higher.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#8 Old 8th Jun 2016 at 9:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by chi168
yes I am but I am finding the editing tool to be a bit tricky once I've left God mode.

You can reenable God mode at any time by using a cheat- press CTRL, SHIFT, and ALT simultaneously and then click on the God Mode button.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 8th Jun 2016 at 9:10 PM
Thank you, good to know if I have to go back and edit some more
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#10 Old 8th Jun 2016 at 11:42 PM
What is that programme that seems to be something like just the terrain and basic features editor for SC4? Someone mentioned it round here recently.

Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 9th Jun 2016 at 12:34 AM
You are able to edit the terrain from the neighborhood. I made my recent neighborhood terrain just by using the in-game tools. The only thing I made in SC4 is road layout.

To enable the terrain editing tools in TS2, you need to type in a cheat "modifyNeighborhoodTerrain on". It only works if you have free time update, but I can see you have all the EP's. It's a bit tricky to use, but you'll get a hang of it. Here are the controls:

- You select the terrain patch you want to change with "left click + hold"
- You raise the terrain with "["
- You lower the terrain with "]"
- You level the terain with "\"
- You smoothen the terrain with "p"

Now, will somebody tell me does any of the latest sims games have this feature?!

Also, it's much more flexible and safer this way, as there is no way of telling how your terrain is going to look in game from SC4.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 9th Jun 2016 at 12:59 AM
in game editing sounds very useful, I might have to figure out the controls by myself though, as I have a different keyboard... I shall do some searching in the morning!
Field Researcher
#13 Old 9th Jun 2016 at 4:08 PM
Okay, I'm going to be honest because I've been through hell with my current hood - you need to think about the proportions of the sim city terrain to the actual game. If you plan to fill that entire hood, it's going to be a royal pain in the ass. Not only will filling the entire hood be a pain, but beach lots are the worse EVER to deal with. Your coast is very, very tall. Which will prove a challenge to place and build on. However I do like the idea of the terrain. I'm no expert but what I would like to recommend is that you go back into SC4 and remove a lot of those roads. Keep in mind that the regular game camera only covers the center of the map, and that lots are relatively small compared to the terrain. Have you heard of the terrain editing cheat? Also, are you still adding trees, terrain paints, etc...? It looks very bare.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 9th Jun 2016 at 4:34 PM
First of all thank you for your feedback! I do agree that it is very big and that I can probably remove some roads, however I love big maps and I'd really like it to be played with the cam mod! But as you say I can probably make it a bit smaller. I was having lots of problems with the beach already so I might scrap one of the "beach areas" and just keep space for one or two beach lots. Do you by terrain cheat mean the one that was mentioned above, or something else? I have not added any paints or trees yet, or lots for that matter, as I'm trying to figure out the "base map" first.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 9th Jun 2016 at 5:13 PM
So i have made some street updates and minor map changes, I think the roads are a bit easier now, but it's still very spacious.
Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 9th Jun 2016 at 7:05 PM
Oh, I wanted to mention another thing as well. There is a neighborhood replacer program, or is it called that way? Nvm. It's here on MTS, just search up mootilda as it's creator. She also made the lot adjuster, which is also very useful.

Also, have you tried to use the neighborhood terrain editing cheat? It really can make it much easier. Roads move alongside terrain, so It's easy to fix the height of your neighborhood. Just select whole neighborhood and bring it down, but be careful, because some of the neighborhood edges will make the game crash if edited.

And, also, don't worry about the size of the neighborhood... bigger, but unocupied neighborhoods make it optional for people to continue to build upon what you've already provided, so you don't have to do a lot of work (if you plan to share it).
Mad Poster
#17 Old 9th Jun 2016 at 7:15 PM
Those pictures are much better. I like that this map has distinct districts - looking at it, it's obvious that the area has concentrations of settlement, and it would be easy to arrange it in different ways - city, suburbs, rural area; city, town, new development; town, subdivisions, agriculture; or whatever.

One thing I'm always concerned about is, whether you need a camera mod to use the whole thing or not. I hate having roads I can glimpse but not get to without having the right camera mod in.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Top Secret Researcher
#18 Old 9th Jun 2016 at 7:17 PM
I would say it deffinitely needs camera mod for the elevated part, and for that other beach area.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#19 Old 10th Jun 2016 at 11:27 AM
It does need it yes, I have a really big weakness for big maps. >.<
edit: Since I am using a mod I don't actually know what would be seen without it, an area in the centre of the map?
Field Researcher
#20 Old 10th Jun 2016 at 11:39 AM
It does need it yes, I have a really big weakness for big maps. >.<
edit: Since I am using a mod I don't actually know what would be seen without it, an area in the centre of the map?

That should be it. If you notice, EAxis made their hoods small and centered and restricted the camera because they don't want you to see the edge of the map. So maybe you could take your camera mod out and see for yourself?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#21 Old 10th Jun 2016 at 12:08 PM
How did I ever live without the cam mod!
Trainee Moderator
staff: trainee moderator
#22 Old 10th Jun 2016 at 1:23 PM
If you intend to upload it, you'll have to temporarily take out the camera mod for the upload.
Or you have to clearly state that the SC4 terrain requires a camera mod, there will still be simmers who won't download the camera mod though.

So make sure it's also playable without a camera mod. That being said, you may place roads in the outskirts of the town but most of the roads need to be in the center.

Catalogue of Custom Neighborhoods for TS2
All Hood Building Group neighborhoods are available here
Want to get rid of EA's sims in neighborhoods? Check out my Clean and Empty Steatlh Hoods and Clean and Empty Neighborhood Templates
My Simblr
Test Subject
Original Poster
#23 Old 10th Jun 2016 at 2:11 PM
I am going to have it with the cam mod though. After using it I never want to go back.
Mad Poster
#24 Old 21st Jun 2016 at 3:43 PM
I rather it, and I also like a bigger map - there are some pretty large maps for download on MTS already, so no rule says it has to be small.
Smaller maps may be more popular, though, and will probably suit most computers.
Some players (well, me, at least) may prefer the map to be big.
Field Researcher
#25 Old 23rd Jun 2016 at 11:09 AM
I am going to have it with the cam mod though. After using it I never want to go back.

Thats not what Jawusa is saying. IF you WANT to UPLOAD it to MTS, not all people like using camera mods like you. So like I said IF you WANT to UPLOAD it, make sure it is compatible with the EA cameras...
Page 1 of 2