Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Jun 2016 at 1:13 PM Last edited by dlseis : 19th Aug 2017 at 5:35 AM. Reason: Change of purpose
Default Longevity issue
My pc used to have a problem running Sims 3. It once could only handle one and a half generation before giving up due to game lag. I gave up on it once but the game is too awesome to be left alone. And so I returned.

Now my created family has gone through 4 generations and my world is running on to Week 24 in Twinbrook. How about yours? When do you decide that enough lag is enough before moving out to another world?
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 2nd Jun 2016 at 1:24 PM
I played a small custom world that lasted longer than my patience; I was well into sixth generation before running out of ideas. For the official worlds it really depends on which one; Isla paradiso, even with all the fixes, barely lasted a generation before I had to move due to lag. The rest seemed to move okay, but my patience wore thin before really being able to test them.
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 2nd Jun 2016 at 2:00 PM
I am well into the fifth generation in my legacy game and not experiencing any problems so far, but I play rotational rotating families and with custom worlds linked.

The Tips For Better Game Performance document has lots of suggestions for cleaning up game problems and maintaining a healthy game. Hopefully something in there will help you with lag or other performance issues.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 2nd Jun 2016 at 2:16 PM
Thanks for the replies. So does that mean that the worlds themselves are the ones to blame sometimes? Then the custom worlds are a little better and the EA ones are slow, right?

I do use some nraas mods but gets freaked out sometimes because of several may-december affairs going on in the neighborhood. Seriously, those sims wait until they reach old age and then they date the newly YA sons and daughters of their neighbors (that are the same age as them).
Mad Poster
#5 Old 2nd Jun 2016 at 2:23 PM
There are players who manage 50 generations and beyond. I'm only on my 5th one after 4+ years of play, but I brought this upon myself without really meaning to by playing on a very long age span and allowing Generation 3 to have 16 children (between two siblings). With rotational play both within worlds and between them (connected via NRaas Traveler) and other things not really game-related slowing me down, I've sort of by accident set this up to be an ongoing game that might well last as long as I do. All of the connected worlds I play happen to be EA worlds (thus far).

The only time I have to abandon a world within this game is when I really want to out of diminishing interest for example (it's only happened once), not for performance reasons, thanks to the tips on the page barbarat linked to.

The May-December thing can be controlled with NRaas StoryProgression caste settings. Perhaps ask for help on our site, if needed?
http://nraas.wikispaces.com/page/messages/Chatterbox
(free registration required to post)
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 2nd Jun 2016 at 2:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by dlseis
Thanks for the replies. So does that mean that the worlds themselves are the ones to blame sometimes? Then the custom worlds are a little better and the EA ones are slow, right?

Not necessarily but sometimes yes. I've had good luck with most the custom worlds I play. Other factors to consider are the players system capabilities, in game performance and what you want to do in a game - your playstyle. Ijust happen to prefer custom worlds but my colleague, as stated in his response above plays EA worlds.

There is a listing of suggested custom worlds NRaas players have recommended In This Document if your looking for a custom world. Please note the little warning blurb at the top of the page.
Scholar
#7 Old 2nd Jun 2016 at 5:20 PM
I think the longest I ever went with a town was around 20 generations. It would start lagging at times, but it was still playable. The worst was around midnight every night, I guess it was struggling trying to advance the ages of everyone in town or something. I'd also get a bit of lag when NRaas SP was generating all the birthday messages, I could just turn those off but I just like seeing who ages up. I didn't give up on the save because of the lag, I just wanted to start fresh. I probably could have gone on a while longer if I wanted, but I just wanted to start over.
Instructor
#9 Old 2nd Jun 2016 at 8:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
I started out in Sunset Valley, then moved to Riverview, then settled in Bridgeport. I was at around generation 20+.

ah.. I bet your sim is Dorian Gray
Scholar
#11 Old 2nd Jun 2016 at 9:27 PM
Dorian Gray never aged because he had a cursed portrait in his attic that did all his aging for him.
Scholar
#13 Old 2nd Jun 2016 at 10:01 PM
In my town that went around 20 generations I made my original sim I created an immortal vampire along with his wife. That bit me in the ass towards the end and was a reason I ended up starting fresh. Because they kept having so many children it got to the point where such a large portion of the population was related that very few marriages were taking place. By the time I got to the last of the sims I was playing I couldn't find them a partner because just about everyone was considered family by this point. I know I coulda used SP to bring in more people but I didn't want that.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 3rd Jun 2016 at 3:15 AM
^ I also have the same problem. Those townies are breeding like rabbits to the point that someone is already dating their second cousin... or worse,
grand-uncle. I already changed the settings in SP to forbid YA-Elder relationships but those sims really like their May-December affairs. I only reached 1.5 generation (grandchildren being YA) but those townies have already reached Generation 5.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 3rd Jun 2016 at 3:51 AM
This thread is so great, I've had issues in Moonlight Falls after only 2 generations.
Alchemist
#16 Old 3rd Jun 2016 at 6:54 AM
I usually take three routes to prevent the town being overpopulated by descendants of my active family:
1) don't have more than one child per generation (though I occasionally have several, if the sims want them);
2) marry sims from other worlds - this doesn't necessarily help a lot, but it makes the gene pool more diverse;
3) move sims (spare siblings from active family) to other worlds.

I think the longest legacy I've played was around 15 generations long, starting in Bridgeport and ending in Sunset Valley. But that was around the time Late Night had just been released, so the game was less likely to bork out (the issues at that time were funny, tho). Second closest is my current legacy, standing at 13 generations. The funny part is that I never set out to make generations, they just happen.
In my experience, I can't play more than 4-5 generations within the same world without it breaking. Though that's mostly due to the makeovers and traveling.

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 6th Jun 2016 at 5:38 PM
So I have another question. Is it mandatory to change worlds every few generations?
Alchemist
#18 Old 6th Jun 2016 at 6:57 PM
That depends on how borked your game is. If it gets so laggy and Error 12'd that not even mods can save it...yeah, pack up and move out.

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Field Researcher
#19 Old 6th Jun 2016 at 7:03 PM
I haven't experienced a slow down yet... but my longest save was 3 generations so xD. Try deleting files in your worldcaches folder, MC's reset everything and "resetsim *" also helps. Sometimes sims get stuck it lags your game.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 11th Jun 2016 at 10:05 PM
I'm on Gen 7 going on Gen 8 of my unintentional legacy, and it's going well so far. Traveler has been my saving grace, though: I find that most EA towns get overpopulated by Gen 3 and most of the townies are in some way related to each other, so I move every 2-3 generations. I also have different branches of the family tree spread out in different worlds played in rotation-style, á la Igazor above who inspired me to set it up way back when I first asked about it over at Nraas

As for avoiding lag - out of the tips mentioned on the page barbarat linked, Ellacharmed's fixes, Overwatch and ErrorTrap are also an absolute must for me; there's a world of difference (bad pun intended :P) when I play with vs. without. Beyond that, I've also noticed that going in and out of CAS through MC *really* contributes to my overall game lag and CTDs. In my Roaring Heights save - which got super-laggy for me in Gen 2 - I can get through about 24+ in-game hours of gameplay before running into an Error Code 12, but if I makeover townies it'll CTD within 6 in-game hours.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#21 Old 3rd Jul 2016 at 4:08 PM
And so my game is acting up again. Saving almost takes forever to finish. If I go to desktop while waiting for it to save, will it continue saving, or not?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#23 Old 17th Aug 2017 at 5:54 PM
Necro-posting in my own thread as I have finally resolved half my problems with game lag. Don't ask me how though

I want to ask, how many weeks have gone in your world before you contemplate to move out to another due to lag? Mine is going on Week 24 now and is now running on slowly.
Mad Poster
#24 Old 17th Aug 2017 at 6:27 PM
I'm on week 12, Bridgeport, after about 1500 hours of playtime or 2 years and 11 months since the save was created, and performance is still acceptable. It's been better, but it's also been much worse.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#25 Old 18th Aug 2017 at 5:25 PM
Looks like it really depends on play style then. I play in Twinbrook now and I have demolished half of the houses because nobody could afford them after the original owners died out (they never married and stalked their jilted lovers for the rest of their lives while the others bred like rabbits and the descendants are marrying their second cousins). For example, the area near the first wooden bridge used to be a 60x60 lot. I crammed 10 houses in that space. Talk about optimizing land area. Maybe the more lots, the more chances of lag?
Screenshots
Page 1 of 2