Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Apr 2016 at 12:44 AM Last edited by jje1000 : 26th Apr 2016 at 4:39 AM.
Default Replacement for France Train (Adding new self-illumination channels/completely replacing object)?
Hey all,

I'm looking to do a default replacement for the France train object- but it has a single image map (basically the diffuse), while the object I'm looking to replace it with has more image maps (diffuse, specular, self-illumination) and is more complex.

How would I go around replacing the original object with the new one?

I know that you can basically go around copying the Type, Group and Instance onto the corresponding files, but I don't know how it would deal with completely new image files that weren't previously in the package.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#2 Old 26th Apr 2016 at 4:39 AM
Hey @Qahne, do you think you might know an answer?

I have the prepared files if you want to take a look.
Scholar
#3 Old 27th Apr 2016 at 12:25 AM
Yeah, send me the files and I'll see if I can figure it out - the texture images, IIRC, are linked to the model via the object resource, so it should be a case of changing some fields in there...I think, it's been a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jje1000
If this succeeds, then we will have driven a stake through the metaphorical heart of pudding.

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Now also on Tumblr !
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 30th Apr 2016 at 5:28 AM
Sent you the exported files

Interestingly enough, I did manage to get it working! However, it requires two files- I kind of want to reduce it down to one.

My process:
- Create object in TSRW & export as S3PE -
- Extract as a package- this is the STATIC package
- Copy over trainFrance's Group numbers & save as new package
- this forms the MOVING package.

For some reason, the moving package requires the static package, even though it should technically have all the files necessary.

Hmmm...
Scholar
#5 Old 30th Apr 2016 at 4:27 PM
What happens if you merge the packages?

Quote:
If this succeeds, then we will have driven a stake through the metaphorical heart of pudding.

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Now also on Tumblr !
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 30th Apr 2016 at 8:17 PM
I'd presume we just end up with the files in one package, since the TGIs are different.
Scholar
#7 Old 1st May 2016 at 12:27 AM
Try it out, maybe that's the way to reduce it to a single package! :P

Also, post a screenshot please, I'm interested in seeing how it looks all lit up.

Quote:

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Now also on Tumblr !
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 1st May 2016 at 2:45 AM
Lol I guess that's another way of going at it.

Pic:

Now onto the next thing- I need to figure out how to convert some sounds over to the .snr format.

Let me know if you can help- I personally know nothing about these sorts of things, so two minds + are better than one

Some links discussing this:
http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.p...t=4922&start=45
http://uoem.com/forums/threads/sims...location.17729/
http://modthesims.info/t/447344

My post here:
http://modthesims.info/showthread.p...623#post5013623

Basically we got two sound effect files from WA.
I'd like to replace those sounds with new ones of subways + traffic.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 2nd May 2016 at 4:31 AM
Do you know where I can find the texture file for the headlight glow? I'm trying to get rid of it.

I managed to find the texture file for the headlight beam itself, but not for the glow.

Screenshots
Mad Poster
#10 Old 3rd May 2016 at 6:10 PM
This thread makes me excited. Modding, trains, default replacements, giving the naysayers the finger...

Oh, and I'm sorry for failing to keep my promise, JJE. There's many things in my life I want to get done, but very few that actually do. If there is anything else I can help you with, gimme a PM. If you ever need 4K screenshots of your world, or some in-world graphic design, I'm sure I can deliver.

Oh and by the way, those subway cars could do with a nicer livery. Why have US flags when you can have graffiti or full-height ads?

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11 Old 15th May 2016 at 1:17 PM Last edited by jje1000 : 15th May 2016 at 4:31 PM.
@Qahne @Grijze Pilion @Greenplumbbob - Anyone know where the effect texture file two posts above is located?

For some reason, the effect seems to be on its on axis and can't be hidden by putting the model over it! So I have to find some way of actually getting rid of it.
Scholar
#12 Old 15th May 2016 at 8:50 PM
There is a possibility that it's a basegame headlight effect, and that getting rid of it will also get rid of the headlight glare. I'll try and extract it for you in a bit, see if my idea is correct; EA do like to reuse things like that when it's convenient. Sorry I have been absent, real life has been knocking these past few weeks.

Quote:

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Now also on Tumblr !
Mad Poster
#13 Old 24th May 2016 at 4:57 PM
Qahne, you're not dead? I thought you were.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Scholar
#14 Old 24th May 2016 at 7:39 PM
I'm alive...just about. Just been a stressful few months, not much time for simming stuff.

@jje1000, I found some files in the BG build packages that may be the light halo, I'm not entirely sure, and I did a little digging into the audio conversion procedure, and it doesn't like it's possible to import custom sound effects - your best bet (and easiest one) would be to perhaps replace the trainfrance SFX files with some extracted from Late Night (I know that there are subway sound effects in there, and possibly traffic noises as well). I did manage to extract them using the command line, but that's the easy part - no one has figure a way of re-encoding the SFX format (which is different to the music format in the game, which is what we have the ability to encode and import).
Attached files:
File Type: 7z  PossibleCulprits.7z (57.6 KB, 11 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: 7z  Subway.7z (6.05 MB, 17 downloads) - View custom content

Quote:

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Now also on Tumblr !
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#15 Old 26th May 2016 at 1:55 PM
Thanks for the links I'll test them out to see if it changes anything.

I'll take a look at the halo- but good news- with Wojtek's help I managed to change the sounds!

He describes the process here: http://modthesims.info/showthread.p...722#post5016722

Anyways, light effects or not, I should have something to show you tomorrow.
Scholar
#16 Old 27th May 2016 at 2:05 AM
That's very promising! There's no problem Wojtek and the other star modders here can't fix I read that you had some issues with the sound being quiet; this is something I typically experience when doing audio modding for other games, too - generally, I find that it helps to amplify the sound in Audacity by quite a bit - it does cause some distortion, but depending on the sound (i.e., an audio effect rather than a human voice or a song), the distortion is fairly minor and is better than the sound being inaudible.

Quote:

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Now also on Tumblr !
Mad Poster
#17 Old 27th May 2016 at 6:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
Anyways, light effects or not, I should have something to show you tomorrow.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#18 Old 28th May 2016 at 5:53 AM
@Qahne & @Grijze Pilion -

Post here: http://potato-ballad-sims.tumblr.co...ed-train-effect
and here: http://potato-ballad-sims.tumblr.co...ng-to-learn-how

@Grijze Pilion - let me know when you get the LOD models It'll save a lot of time.
Theorist
#19 Old 28th May 2016 at 2:39 PM
Just saw your train replacement video! This is looking promising!! Wow!

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Scholar
#20 Old 28th May 2016 at 3:28 PM
Wow, that looks incredible! Really going to help give life to a lot of worlds out there (I can really see Bridgeport being improved with an el-train), definitely makes our towns feel like cities. Honestly looks like something EA could produce, top notch quality!

Also, I just realised a cheap solution (my specialty) to your light halo problem, if you're still having it - would it be possible to move the train mesh forward so that it engulfs the light effect? Or is the halo too broad, and would stick out anyway?

Quote:

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Now also on Tumblr !
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#21 Old 28th May 2016 at 3:36 PM
@Qahne- I did that, but for some reason the halo effect is permanently offset from the actual train model so if I try to rotate the train, the halo sticks out from the train.
Scholar
#22 Old 28th May 2016 at 10:41 PM
That is weird - must be attached to a joint or something, I've not encountered that property when dealing with effects before (like the Plumbot heads, for instance). EA's arcane coding is such a bore.

Quote:

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Now also on Tumblr !
Mad Poster
#23 Old 29th May 2016 at 10:39 PM
My process:
- Create object in TSRW & export as S3PE -
- Extract as a package- this is the STATIC package
- Copy over trainFrance's Group numbers & save as new package
- this forms the MOVING package.

For some reason, the moving package requires the static package, even though it should technically have all the files necessary. Hmmm...

Out of curiosity, where did you find the French Train in TSRW?
I tried the MiscObjects (unlabelled) under Debug and didn't see it.
I found it under the Normal Objects in S3OC, but wasn't sure if I should make it a Deep Clone or not.
Test Subject
#24 Old 1st Apr 2017 at 4:26 AM
Default Subway train
Where can I get the Subway file to change my France train guys? I'm new to this however following tuts I have the france train running in a world I'm making...Always wanted a Subway car just haven't found a tut on the steps...your conversation is the closest I've got to train science
Lol I guess that's another way of going at it.

Pic:

Now onto the next thing- I need to figure out how to convert some sounds over to the .snr format.

Let me know if you can help- I personally know nothing about these sorts of things, so two minds + are better than one

Some links discussing this:
http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.p...t=4922&start=45
http://uoem.com/forums/threads/sims...location.17729/
http://modthesims.info/t/447344

My post here:
http://modthesims.info/showthread.p...623#post5013623

Basically we got two sound effect files from WA.
I'd like to replace those sounds with new ones of subways + traffic.
Mad Poster
#25 Old 1st Apr 2017 at 1:08 PM
So I have a great view of the France train from the other side of the map, and that sucks. Because EA doesn't seem to understand that it's the 21st century in France too and that steam trains only exist in la-la-land. So I'm going to have to address that tiny little train freak inside me by replacing it with something modern and French.

So I got meself a train:

And I got meself a model:

Now I just need to figure the rest out. Thankfully I'm familiar with both games, and Blender.

insert signature here
Page 1 of 2