Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

(UPDATE 1-SEP-2014) Salvaged Junkyard Objects Made Usable

by icarus_allsorts Posted 28th Mar 2014 at 3:02 PM - Updated 1st Sep 2014 at 10:14 AM by icarus_allsorts : Mod Update

114 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 37 Feedback Posts, 76 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 5
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#2 Old 28th Mar 2014 at 4:05 PM
Cool! I'm looking forward to trying out this mod. This is what I expected when I discovered that there were junked objects at the junkyard, so I was very disappointed when I realized that they couldn't be used.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#3 Old 28th Mar 2014 at 4:35 PM
I searched for a mod like this and there wasn't one. Thank you so much for making this mod and sharing it with us! Just another part of the game that I don't understand why EA left unfinished.
Instructor
THANKS POST
#4 Old 28th Mar 2014 at 4:47 PM
I also never liked that the salvaged items were unusable so thank you for rectifying that!
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#5 Old 28th Mar 2014 at 4:49 PM
OMG! This! You made this! I've always wanted it! Thank-you!!
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#6 Old 28th Mar 2014 at 5:13 PM
Thank you
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#7 Old 28th Mar 2014 at 6:40 PM
Thank you for making this. Now it will be more fun to visit the junk yard and see what my Sim can salvage and restore. You did what EA should have done but was too lazy to do.
Forum Resident
THANKS POST
#8 Old 28th Mar 2014 at 6:41 PM
Oh, this is NEAT! I can think of some interesting uses for this mod. :)
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#9 Old 28th Mar 2014 at 7:24 PM
Finally! Thanks so much for this it'll definitely come in useful for my game
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#10 Old 28th Mar 2014 at 7:51 PM
This is great! It made absolutely no sense that EA didn't do this, so I'm very glad that you did!
Field Researcher
#11 Old 28th Mar 2014 at 7:57 PM
I have to agree with everyone else! I don't understand why this interaction was not there from the beginning, but I'm VERY THANKFUL that it is now!!! It will make scavenging more interesting!!! Thank you sooo very much!

Quick question tho: does this also help with building the handiness skill?

Whatever you do, do it ALL for the glory of God. 1 Corinthians 10:31
My mission: To fill the gaps!
Join me on my new Discord channel!
Snag my creations from my LiveJournal!
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#12 Old 28th Mar 2014 at 8:09 PM
THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH! You are amazing for making this mod! I love you! :D
Test Subject
#13 Old 28th Mar 2014 at 8:48 PM
Yes!!! This is wonderful. Does it improve the handiness skill?? Thank you!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#14 Old 28th Mar 2014 at 9:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jbeach34
Quick question tho: does this also help with building the handiness skill?

Quote: Originally posted by chocoloti
Yes!!! This is wonderful. Does it improve the handiness skill?? Thank you!

Since it is the normal repair interaction for broken objects that your sim will be using yes (not all objects are repairable though). They'll probably gain more handiness than usual siince it takes extra long to completely repair a salvaged object The Fix Gas Leak interaction on stoves should also raise Handiness as well.

Thanks guys for the comments. I didn't make the Salvage interaction btw (it's always been in the game since Ambitions) in fact this mod doesn't actually touch that interaction, it only exploits the event when the interaction is used to turn the salvaged object usable again .
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#15 Old 28th Mar 2014 at 9:08 PM Last edited by ~MadameButterfly~ : 28th Mar 2014 at 11:43 PM.
It used to be possible to do what your mod does, but then they patched it out, I believe. (Edit: I remember what it was before. The repairmen could come over and fix the stuff before they patched it out. )
Forum Resident
THANKS POST
#16 Old 28th Mar 2014 at 9:23 PM
I assume that when you salvage chairs and couches, they're 'as is' with the charred state. Do they have any interactions to 'clean' or 'repair' so that the charred state goes away? I'm betting not, but it would be great for some sim stories if it were possible.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#17 Old 28th Mar 2014 at 10:22 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you so very much for making this available. I was very disappointed when I found out that EA didn't make it possible to repair items salvaged from the junkyard. This will be used quite a bit by my poor sims (I don't like to use money cheats).
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#18 Old 28th Mar 2014 at 10:26 PM
thank you soooo much! I think it makes it more realistic too, because most things in the junkyards seem like they could be fixed, but they just don't even give you that option.
Instructor
THANKS POST
#19 Old 28th Mar 2014 at 10:40 PM
Yes, yes, yes! This . Is . Brilliant! Ta!

I was so annoyed when I realized you couldn't fix salvaged items, so thank you for fixing EA's shortcomings
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#20 Old 29th Mar 2014 at 12:06 AM
What a great idea! I always find the challenging part of the handyman challenges, is not repairing things but looking all over town to find broken things. I usually go to public places like the gym or library and tinker there because those toilets seem to go bonkers more often than the better ones placed in my house.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#21 Old 29th Mar 2014 at 12:21 AM
I think I love you. I'm playing a challenge, with a sim who has no cash. So I thought, salvage this junk, fix it, and they can have an ugly bookcase, table, etc to use. Then I discovered EA had totally missed the boat. Had the same reaction you've had. So, thank you for this wonderful fix - of something EA should have done in the first place. Thank you!
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#22 Old 29th Mar 2014 at 12:43 AM
I can only echo what those earlier have said - this is fantastic - should have been in the game in the first place, and will make playing handysims so much more fun!
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#23 Old 29th Mar 2014 at 2:19 AM
I just read, don't remember where, that they fixed this. When you salvage objects you can fix them when you have level 7 (I think) handiness. I might be wrong or it just might be a feature of twallans career mod. But I would cheat up a sim to max handiness and just check. But if not great mod. Previous poster was right when they said it should've already been fixed. Off to test
Instructor
THANKS POST
#24 Old 29th Mar 2014 at 2:41 AM
What a great way to add better uses to the junkyard other than to detonate those items! (And how funny that your sim in the junkyard repairing the object looks a little like Leroy from A Southern Prettacy. I nearly wet myself when I noticed that. Ha! So appropriate!) What a great job. Thank you so much!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#25 Old 29th Mar 2014 at 6:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by skmt999
I assume that when you salvage chairs and couches, they're 'as is' with the charred state. Do they have any interactions to 'clean' or 'repair' so that the charred state goes away?

Sorry, I didn't add any new interactions at all to objects, so if the object never had a Clean or Repair interaction in the first place nothing you can do about there. Originally the mod only uncharred the objects you salvaged, but it was too weird to see the burnt old object you found in the junkyard look brand new when you took it out of the family inventory so I decided to reapply the material state. The one drawback to this is that since technically the objects aren't charred anymore they'll contribute positively to the room's environment score again.

Quote: Originally posted by ashmo
I just read, don't remember where, that they fixed this. When you salvage objects you can fix them when you have level 7 (I think) handiness. I might be wrong or it just might be a feature of twallans career mod.

You know I never considered that twallan might have added a similar feature in one of his mods... I only checked the game's code to see if it was possible without a mod and found that it wasn't so I made my own. If it is already a feature in one of the NRaas mods, then... whoops

Quote: Originally posted by ShakespearesSunshyne
(And how funny that your sim in the junkyard repairing the object looks a little like Leroy from A Southern Prettacy. I nearly wet myself when I noticed that. Ha! So appropriate!)

He's one of the default sims from Twinbrook, the inventor who lives by himself on the town's outskirts near the smaller junkyard
Page 1 of 5