Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Dec 2013 at 5:24 AM
Default New Orleans world
Alright, so I live in Metairie, LA, which is literally right outside of New Orleans. I've only lived here for about two years and I want to make a world based on NOLA. I actually used the srtm overlay in google earth to get started, but ended up scratching that and building it from scratch on my own. I've got the basic layout of the world, no painting, just the sculpting. The world starts at the Mississippi River and ends at Lake Pontchartrain. I totally blanked on thinking about directions and where the sun rises and sets, but somehow got lucky and had it right without trying! My only concern thus far is that I am using three distant terrains...now I know that seems excessive, but to both end the world at the lake and make the lake appear as gigantic as it does in real life I needed to fudge things a bit. I am adding some pictures, but don't judge my lack of progress thus far. Try to imagine where this can go! I'm very excited about this new world. It's a nice new start from my previous world that I never finished because I actually know where I'm going with this. Any feedback is greatly appreciated! Oh, also how the crap do you get a full view picture of the entire world when the map is large? When I zoom out that far parts of it start to disappear.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 20th Dec 2013 at 7:07 AM Last edited by Gabrymato : 20th Dec 2013 at 2:15 PM.
Seems like a nice idea! I would love a nice Louisiana themed world.
For the record: if you don't know the cardinal points of your map you can just change the time in your CAW: not only you will see where the sun actually rises and sets, but you will also see how the whole world responds to different lighting and possibly different .INIs (if you plan to customize those files).

Anyway.
My opinion on what you have done so far is that you may have bit off more than you could chew, because the world's flatland seems endless in the pictures you posted. I guess you only plan to develop the urban area from the river bend to the lake shore, and create a natural swampy/lake-y environment all around?
Remember that the more buildings you want to place, the more time will be spent on interiors, decoration etc, for what is a relatively small part of the whole ensemble. An urban area is not like a suburban residential neighborhood, where you can just put random parks, trees and things to fill up the map: it's almost entirely buildings, so you need to be very careful on its size and amount of lots, because that's what will take most of your time.

Without any roads for size reference or for a hint of what your plans are, my suggestion is to start from the very shore and place the main roads (highways, monumental/historical streets and so on).

Me, me, me against them, me against enemies, me against friends, somehow they all seem to become one, a sea full of sharks and they all smell blood.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd Dec 2013 at 7:44 AM
I added some swampy area so that I can have some hidden islands plus it turned out really well. Also I don't mind if the sides of the lake go on forever, that's how lake Ponchartrain looks. I've been reading a lot on terrain painting, I feel like this is a pretty decent start, especially matching the distant terrain.
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 28th Dec 2013 at 9:52 PM Last edited by Titi022002 : 17th Oct 2014 at 8:08 PM.
- Painting looks good, I think. This is a good beginning, keep this work up. I'll check this topic to see how you make it better.
- And I agree, the distant terrain matches so good! Great work!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 29th Dec 2013 at 6:09 AM
Default More pictures
I've added some backdrop to the river to make it blend in with the rest of the city a bit better and a road that exits the town. I'm just super excited about this world!
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 29th Dec 2013 at 10:46 AM Last edited by Titi022002 : 17th Oct 2014 at 8:09 PM.
Your port area looks good even thought it's not finished yet!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 30th Dec 2013 at 7:37 AM
Default Painting Complete
I think I have my main terrain painting and sculpting complete. I'm started to add some city deco, roads, and community lots. I'm starting in the French Quarter and working my way back. Just added Jackson Square and the St Louis Cathedral. Decorating these lots is going to be so fun! Also, I added some metropolitan buildings not on lots to create a bit of a barrier around the edge of the map, but when you zoom in close in EIG they disappear. Does anyone know why or how to fix this? All help and feedback is greatly appreciated! More pics!
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 30th Dec 2013 at 10:17 AM
This looks awesome and I mean it! It's so beautiful to see! It'll be even more beautiful when it'll be populated (Or with some buildings, houses, etc...). :D
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 28th Mar 2014 at 7:13 AM
Default Free Time
Well, I've finally had a bit more time to work on New Orleans again. In between working full time and planning a wedding for myself and helping my sister with her wedding that's in a month...time has been limited. I have been working on some buildings, I decided to give myself something fun to do to stay motivated. So far I've completed Jackson Square and the St. Louis Cathedral and am working on Cafe DuMonde and the buildings along side the cathedral and gardens. If there's anyone out there who wants to chip in with some sections of the French Quarter, I welcome it! Anyway, here's some more pictures for the few people out there who are interested.
Screenshots
Instructor
#10 Old 28th Mar 2014 at 5:39 PM
Nice job! I don't know if you plan on using custom content, but maybe you haven't checked this set out yet.
The Sims 3 naturally lacks a nice non-picket cast iron fence and this set is just perfect for your world. Then again, if you wanted it to be CC free, it's obviously your choice

Me, me, me against them, me against enemies, me against friends, somehow they all seem to become one, a sea full of sharks and they all smell blood.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 28th Mar 2014 at 8:21 PM Last edited by Titi022002 : 29th Mar 2014 at 8:06 AM.
I love it! Yeah I agree with Gabrymato, will you use CC? If so, which ones? :p
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 7th Apr 2014 at 6:17 PM
Default cc
Quote: Originally posted by Titi022002
I love it! Yeah I agree with Gabrymato, will you use CC? If so, which ones? :p

Yes I use CC, that's like my bread & butter in the sims I think I just might ask for help on the proper ways to account for the cc I use when I finish the world and upload it. This is the first time I've been really serious about getting a world up on here so...yeah it's kind of intimidating. I've looked at the process and there's a lot involved. Anyway, thanks for the comments guys! I love any feedback I can get, and I'm definitely going to check out that cc Gabrymato mentioned.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 14th Jun 2014 at 1:40 AM
Update
Man...so getting engaged and planning a wedding is like...hard. I got engaged about a year ago and our wedding is in four months. My world has suffered a lack of attention, but I intend to finish it. Here are some updates and pictures. I've added an area between the French Quarter and Lake Pontchartrain. It's like a suburban type area. I used actually blocks of housing by looking at Google Earth and choosing areas I'd like to recreate. I am using some premade lots from EIG. I have 44 residential lots, that's all I'm making and I'm going to have about 100 community lots. I've also added a canal since they are so common. Hope you guys like it
Screenshots
Instructor
#14 Old 14th Jun 2014 at 1:27 PM Last edited by MrDensilter : 14th Jun 2014 at 11:25 PM.
Nice work keep this up I haven't seen such a landscape like this might be the one neighborhood I'll Download if this is perfectly furnished

"Keep Calm and Play with STYLE"
#My Avatar: Nick Johnson
Download Policy
MrDensilter tumblr account.
Hitman Legacy Challenge
Hitman Challenge MTS
The Green House Challenge
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 14th Jun 2014 at 6:07 PM
I like it. Keep it up!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 15th Jun 2014 at 2:37 AM
Thanks guys. Any feedback or suggestions are greatly appreciated. I did download the fence mentioned above, it's awesome!
Test Subject
#17 Old 15th Nov 2014 at 2:30 AM
Wonderful! I've always wanted to visit New Orleans, but until then I'll settle for playing in a NOLA sims world.
Field Researcher
#18 Old 15th Nov 2014 at 4:56 AM
This looks real promising. Love the old-town!

I've been playing New Twinbrook as a faux NOLA, but it'd be amazing to have this as closer to the real thing!
Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
#19 Old 19th Nov 2014 at 8:00 PM
Please do not revive old threads. The OP hasn't been active on the site since August. Locking this until/if OP comes back and wants to continue receiving feedback.

Heaven Sims | Avendale Legacy
"On the internet, you can be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid."
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#20 Old 11th Sep 2016 at 12:24 AM
Default Thread unlocked
Quote: Originally posted by heaven
Please do not revive old threads. The OP hasn't been active on the site since August. Locking this until/if OP comes back and wants to continue receiving feedback.

Hey guys, I contacted Heaven and had this thread unlocked because I am back and working on this world again.
Forum Resident
#21 Old 19th Dec 2016 at 3:51 PM
YAY!!! So excited! Let me know if you need any support, feedback, anything <3
Scholar
#22 Old 20th Dec 2016 at 12:35 AM Last edited by SimmyRN : 16th Jan 2017 at 2:07 AM.
I didn't know if you ever figured this out or not: "Oh, also how the crap do you get a full view picture of the entire world when the map is large? When I zoom out that far parts of it start to disappear." You can do this in CAW with the mouse, I believe, but I'd advise unchecking "Fog" in the view menu. The water disappears but at least you can see the world. Otherwise, the fog makes it difficult to see. In "Edit in Game" or game you can use the camera mode to zoom out far enough to see the whole world and take a screenshot as well. (Be sure to angle the view to straight overhead or it can start looking very distorted when zooming out.) Good luck with your great project!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#23 Old 16th Jan 2017 at 12:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SimmyRN
I didn't know if you ever figured this out or not: "Oh, also how the crap do you get a full view picture of the entire world when the map is large? When I zoom out that far parts of it start to disappear." You can do this in CAW with the mouse, I believe, but I'd advise unchecking "Fog" in the view menu. The water disappears but at least you can see the world. Otherwise, the fog makes it difficult to see. In "Edit in Game" or game you can use the camera mode to zoom out far enough to see the whole world and take a screenshot as well. (Be sure to angle the view to straight overhead or it can start looking very distorted when zooming out.) Good luck with your great project!

Hey, thanks for that info!
Scholar
#24 Old 16th Jan 2017 at 2:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SimmyRN

Edit: You can have a bit of an angle. See my feedback post here for examples: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=588036.
Test Subject
#25 Old 17th Jan 2017 at 4:19 AM
Hello. I am trying to redo Twinbrook like New Orleans. I am just doing houses cause I don't know how to create a world. Anyway, I am posting soon my houses, so if you want to discuss ideas or designs let me know.
Page 1 of 2