Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#26 Old 25th Mar 2012 at 11:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ThomasRiordan
The key in the first part is the hashed version of the text you put in for the string.

<KEY>0xD330291AEDEA5A43</KEY>
<STR>Gameplay/Excel/Careers/CareerList:CAREERNAME</STR>

Where 0xD330291AEDEA5A43 is the FNV64 hash of the text string Gameplay/Excel/Careers/CareerList:CAREERNAME that's what you would save as your Strings [YourCareerTile] UnhashedKeys

When it comes to the second part Strings [YourCareerTitle] English the string in your unhashed keys document becomes the <KEY> in the second document so you would copy over each line replacing <KEY>BLANK</KEY> with the <STR></STR> from the other document. The <STR>BLANK</STR> line would now be what you want the text to display whenever the game brings up Gameplay/Excel/Careers/CareerList:CAREERNAME

<KEY>Gameplay/Excel/Careers/CareerList:CAREERNAME</KEY>
<STR>My Career</STR>

If you leave the <STR> blank it won't show up or will show up as Gameplay/Excel/Careers/CareerList:CAREERNAME and if you leave the BLANK in there it will just say BLANK when it appears in game. It's confusing I know. I've been around and was part of the first attempts to add custom text to the game and I still kinda look at all that STBL stuff and go huh. It's like trying to read Greek upside down and backwards.

That actually made alot of sense, haha. Thanks for the response.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#27 Old 26th Mar 2012 at 3:24 PM
Glad I could help.
Test Subject
#28 Old 27th Mar 2012 at 4:51 PM
I need help. The career shows up fine in game, but it's called JoinCareer16648 and so forth, even after I did the last step of the tutorial. None of the descriptions work either, it's all blank. Anyone have any advice on what might be wrong?
Field Researcher
#29 Old 27th Mar 2012 at 6:28 PM
Sounds like you might have made an error when translating your keys. In S3PE right click on your STBL and choose edit STBL. Do you have any blanks next to the numbers? If so that is most likely your missing text in game. A lot of people are getting confused in that section of the tutorial and end up with the text being blank or mixed up.

It could also be that you didn't change the first two digits of your STBL's instance to match your game language. I'm assuming it's English so your instance should be whatever FNV64 generated with the first four digits being 0x00 followed by the rest of your instance number except for the first 2 digits which you replaced with 00.
Test Subject
#30 Old 28th Mar 2012 at 4:28 AM
Now I can't get the career to show up in game. I've done everything right, including renaming the <table> thing or whatever. And still it won't show up.
Field Researcher
#31 Old 28th Mar 2012 at 12:43 PM
When you renamed your career did you name it .career or .careers? And did you change it in your dll xml file? Although it shouldn't be that because you said it was working so unless you made changes that should be correct. I've had a career go missing because I used .career instead of .careers but like I said unless you renamed it that shouldn't be the problem if it was working. I'm not sure what it could be but if you run Error Trap it should give you a text file in the Sims 3 folder in My Documents that might hold some clues. Look for the lines that contain the name of your careers and tones xmls and whatever comes after them is usually the error. For example you might see something like this

Quote:
PTS3_ThomasRiordan_Career_ProWrestling.Careers: Found CareerList = 1 ProfessionalWrestling: Added to Rabbithole Stadium
80605771721175: Found CareerFile = 1

Quote:
PTS3_ThomasRiordan_Career_ProWrestling.Tones: Found Tone = 0 80605771721175: Found ToneFile = 1

Errors will also appear with [E] in front of them but not always since when my career had errors I don't believe it did have the [E] in front of it but someone else's that I'm using gives me an error in the game at load and shows up as [E] because it's out of date and is in need of updating.

If you can't figure it out from looking at it you can post the contents of the script error file and maybe I or someone more knowledgeable that I can tell you what's wrong.
Test Subject
#32 Old 28th Mar 2012 at 7:51 PM
This is what I got, but no idea what it means.

Found CareerFile = 1 [E]Royal_Court.Careers: Unknown Careers File 35849411900969

Found ToneFile = 1 [E]Royal_Court.Tones: Unknown Tones File 35849411900969: No BookFile Table 18201735987147: No BookFile Table 35849411900969: No SocializingFile Table
Field Researcher
#33 Old 28th Mar 2012 at 8:21 PM Last edited by ThomasRiordan : 28th Mar 2012 at 8:44 PM.
Have a look in your numbers.dll.xml which is probably named 35849411900969.dll xml at the lines and <Tones></Tones>, <Careers></Careers> should contain the name of your careers xml which in your case looks like it should be <Careers>Royal_Court.Careers</Careers> and your <Tones></Tones> should be <Tones>Royal_Court.Tones</Tones>, you might have made a typo when editing it. The best way is to just take the text from both your careers and tones xml and paste it in notepad so you can copy it back over without mistakes when you add it to the dll xml. I get the same error for ElliotDX's Gamer career and just having a quick look at it I can see he put career and not careers which is most likely the problem there. I'll be back after I try and fix his career and hopefully I'll have more information to help figure out what's going wrong with yours.

Edit. Well, that was unproductive. I still can't figure out why his isn't working even when it should be. Actually, the more I look the more baffled I become because I have other careers in my game that work perfectly fine even though everything I've experienced in creating my own tells me they shouldn't because mine wouldn't work when I did it that way. I wouldn't be surprised if your problem is something so mind boggling stupid that it shouldn't even be an issue yet is. These things usually are.
Test Subject
#34 Old 31st Mar 2012 at 7:55 PM
I did everything correctly but I can't even join my career ingame...I set rabbit hole as Theatre and there's nothing there, I changed it to Stadium and same thing.
Field Researcher
#35 Old 31st Mar 2012 at 11:36 PM
Did you try running error trap? That might give you some clue where the problem lies.
Test Subject
#36 Old 8th Apr 2012 at 4:46 PM
I need some more help. I figured I'd give errortrap a shot but it doesn't give me a readout, even though I have the right patch and everything. I was wondering if anyone who is a better man than me could have a look at my career file, see what I'm doing wrong?
Field Researcher
#37 Old 8th Apr 2012 at 11:42 PM
Sure. Just upload it somewhere and send me a private message and I'll look into it tomorrow. Odd that error trap doesn't give you a log though. Usually it ends up in My Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3 with a title like ScriptError_UserName__04-07-2012__16-03-47__97C79190.xml
Test Subject
#38 Old 11th Apr 2012 at 10:49 PM
I'm having the same problem as 86caprice had. My career is still showing as a number and all of the text is blanked. I changed the English String ID to have the two 00's and I don't see any blank lines in that or the string ID. Tone for the career are there but don't have any text either (except for Business As Usual).
Is there anything else I can check for that may be causing my problem?

Everything else seems to be working fine. The metrics and wages are showing and the technicalities seem to be in order.
Field Researcher
#39 Old 11th Apr 2012 at 11:05 PM
It seems everyone has the same problem when doing the STBL part of the tutorial. They get confused as to what goes where when filling in the keys and strings and thus end up with missing strings or the wrong string in the wrong place. I've made a clarified version of that file in post 23 so you could try that or when all else fails (or if you're like me just do it that way to begin with) you can add the strings manually as I described in post 19..
Test Subject
#40 Old 11th Apr 2012 at 11:46 PM
Whoops...using that method did work. Sorry for not trying that first. Thanks for the help!
Test Subject
#41 Old 12th Apr 2012 at 10:04 AM
What do I need to do to make my sims have uniforms to work? Suits like your sims wear in the Business career?
Field Researcher
#42 Old 12th Apr 2012 at 12:25 PM
The first thing you need is CmarNYC's Sim Outfitter to make the custom outfit which I assume is what you want to do. You extract the CASP 0x034AEECB for each part of the outfit using S3PE then add it to Sim Outfitter. Save your outfit with a name ie BusinessCareerMaleLevel1 and import the SIMO into your career file. Then in your career.xml add the following lines to each level or any level you want to use the outfits.

<OutfitMale></OutfitMale>
<OutfitFemale></OutfitFemale>
<OutfitMaleElder></OutfitMaleElder>
<OutfitFemaleElder></OutfitFemaleElder>

Obviously, if you don't have outfits for an age/gender and just want them to use their everyday clothing you don't need to add the lines for that. Once you have those lines added put the name of your new outfit between them.

<OutfitMale>BusinessCareerMaleLevel1</OutfitMale>
<OutfitFemale>BusinessCareerFemaleLevel1</OutfitFemale>
<OutfitMaleElder>BusinessCareerElderMaleLevel1</OutfitMaleElder>
<OutfitFemaleElder>BusinessCareerElderFemaleLevel1</OutfitFemaleElder>

Save your changes and your outfit should be used when you go to work. However, you may have to leave and rejoin the career if you already have a Sim in that career. If you have any problem with where things go you can have a look at my professional wrestling career which uses a custom outfit all the way thru.

A little warning about Sim Outfitter. Sometimes you may have to start over or rely on voodoo to get it to save.
Test Subject
#43 Old 18th Apr 2012 at 12:11 PM Last edited by LilaLipstick : 18th Apr 2012 at 2:53 PM.
First of all, thank you so much ThomasRiordan - I was able to get my careers working perfectly using your method!

I was wondering if anyone knows how to add fame star metrics like the ones in Late Night? I'd like to make a career that would require Sims to become famous as they progress.

ETA: Never mind, I opened up the GameplayData and found it. If anyone's interested it's

<Metric1>CelebrityLevel</Metric1>
<Mappings1>0,0,0</Mappings1>
Test Subject
#44 Old 18th Apr 2012 at 10:58 PM
Alright, so I have a problem with the "Join Career[Random Numbers] thing. I swear I've done everything correctly to try and get the right career name to show up, but it's still showing me the numbers. I've also tried ThomasRiordan's method to fix that, but nothing about it changed. All the text and the metrics of my career work perfectly fine except for the fact that the actual career name isn't showing up.
The only problem I had with Creon's instructions was the last part that says, "Go back to S3PE and “Right click” on your UnhashedKeys string file, then go to “Edit STBL” this brings up the “STBL Resource Editor” window. Click on the second file in the left list, this should show: Gameplay/Careers/GetJobInRabbitHole:JoinCareerNoCareer in the right window and the value in the bottom box."
That would be well and dandy if there were a second file in the left list. The only thing I'm seeing is "0x[Random Numbers]: Gameplay/Excel/Careers/Tribute:PromotionLevel10_Female" and in the right box it says the same thing but without the 0x[Random Numbers].
Have I done something wrong with my UnhashedKeys file?
Field Researcher
#45 Old 18th Apr 2012 at 11:32 PM Last edited by ThomasRiordan : 18th Apr 2012 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Corrected myself for correcting myself.
Are you putting Gameplay/Careers/GetJobInRabbitHole:JoinCareerNoCareer as your unhashed string? If so it should be Gameplay/Careers/GetJobInRabbitHole:JoinCareer with the numbers you get from the in game string when you click join career so instead of Gameplay/Careers/GetJobInRabbitHole:JoinCareerNoCareer or JoinCareerNoCareerNumbers it would be Gameplay/Careers/GetJobInRabbitHole:JoinCareer345678910092356434 or whatever number shows up in the game for your career. S3PE doesn't actually show Gameplay/Careers/GetJobInRabbitHole:JoinCareerNoCareer it'll show a number. I've hashed that twice and it comes up as 0x2F81C7C27817D161 for me so that might be what it is in the list. If you post the text from your unhashed key list I might be able to spot what you're doing wrong. If all else fails you can upload the file somewhere like MediaFire, send me a PM and I'll have a look at it when I get a chance.
Test Subject
#46 Old 19th Apr 2012 at 2:44 AM
(I've got several versions of my career where I've used the different techniques just to see if any of them work!)
For the version where I strictly followed Creon's instructions, the only thing showing up in the STBL Resource Editor is as follows:
"0xA9397804052A9815: Gameplay/Excel/Careers/Tribute:PromotionLevel10_Female" shows in the box on the left while "Gameplay/Excel/Careers/Tribute:PromotionLevel10_Female" shows in the box on the right. I do not know what to do with this. (My random numbers from the game are 16957055448146386482, if that helps any.)
Then, for the version where I used your (ThomasRiordan) instructions to make the single STBL, I was a bit confused as to what I was doing exactly, as well. I basically took everything from the <STR> lines in my previous UnhashedKeys text file and pasted them in order into the little box above the "Add", "Change", and "Delete" buttons (excluding the actual <STR> parts like you said to do) where I had them hashed into the lines of random numbers. Then the next few parts of instructions confused me on what to put in the righthand box. I just kind of typed in whatever I had in the <STR> lines for my "Strings [Career] English" text (the corresponding descriptions for each of the <STR> lines in the UnhashedKeys text) because that's what I could best figure out what I was being told to do. Then, at the very end, I typed in "Gameplay/Careers/GetJobInRabbitHole:JoinCareer16957055448146386482" and had the little box hash it for me to get another set of random numbers and then in the righthand box, I typed "Join Tribute Career". (Tribute is the name of my career.)
Am I completely screwing with everything the totally wrong way? Because I have a feeling that's what's happening...
Field Researcher
#47 Old 19th Apr 2012 at 11:47 AM
It's early so forgive me if I'm getting confused on what you're saying. What it sounds like to me is you're seeing something like this in the STBL.

What you would do is highlight the Gameplay/Excel/Careers/Tribute:PromotionLevel10_Female and delete that replacing it with the name for the highest level of your career. Here's how I did mine...

If I'm totally confused and everything is right except for the numbers part there's a few things you could try. The first is checking to see if you changed the instance of your STBL to match your language if English the first four digits of the instance should be 0x00. If that's correct you can try deleting your cache files; CASPartCache, compositorCache, scriptCache, simCompositorCache and seeing if that works. You said there is no second line in your STBL where the original Gameplay/Careers/GetJobInRabbitHole:JoinCareerNoCareer would be so you shouldn't have to delete that if it's not there. The other thing you can try is running Error Trap and seeing if the career has errors any where else that might be causing it not to work properly. A handy little text file will be placed in your My Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3 folder which could provide some clues.

I'll try to make a video tutorial for careers over the weekend. Maybe, visual aid will help a lot of people since everyone seems to get messed up on the STBL part.
Scholar
#48 Old 5th May 2012 at 4:23 PM
How do you have titles for each gender? For example, the Acting/Directing career with Late Night has Best Boy for males and Best Girl for females. I see how you change the descriptions, but I can't work out how to do the titles. Any help would be appreciated

Visit MissyHissy's Job Centre and MissyHissy's Job Centre Forum for additional career help.
Visit MissyHissy's Irish Dance Studio
The Daily Plumbob, a Sims 4 Gameplay blog
Field Researcher
#49 Old 6th May 2012 at 8:46 PM
To be honest I have no idea. Perhaps Gameplay/Excel/Careers/CareerName:JobName_female from looking thru the careers.xml it doesn't seem EA defines the titles thru that. Unfortunately, I have no clue how to open the STBL where it would tell me what the actual hash is for the careers would be in order to tell you exactly how to do it.
Scholar
#50 Old 7th May 2012 at 12:19 PM Last edited by missyhissy : 7th May 2012 at 4:31 PM.
Okay, thanks anyway for responding! I'll have a fiddle sometime and see if I can work something out :D

ETA: Another question. Two of my careers are based at the Business and Journalism rabbithole. Am I able to add another rabbithole for them to be added to? Or can I only put one there?

Thanks!

Visit MissyHissy's Job Centre and MissyHissy's Job Centre Forum for additional career help.
Visit MissyHissy's Irish Dance Studio
The Daily Plumbob, a Sims 4 Gameplay blog
Page 2 of 23