Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
#51 Old 22nd Nov 2011 at 8:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by 5M0K3
The hair isn't animated.

And if there's one thing I hate, it's hair that don't move.

Ah the hardships of first world countries.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#52 Old 22nd Nov 2011 at 12:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by WooHoo31
I'd much rather go through a loading screen for 1 minute to actually dine out and go bowling than stare at a building as I get messages saying that my sim ate a burger. Fun fun fun...

LOL so true. And also when I used to go to clubs in TS3 I usually found anywhere from nobody to 4-5 people (of course not including the NPCs there). In TS2, when you go to a club, you easily find over 10 people. Hell you find over 10 people anywhere you go, it feels vivid, real.

"And every now and then people find the bugs, and they interpret those as cool failures in the Sims terms. For them it's like a treasure hunt, you know." Will Wright

The thing you have to love about the Sims community ----->Its creativity.
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#53 Old 22nd Nov 2011 at 12:50 PM
I don't know why I don't play Sims3. In theory it is perfect for my playing style - the hood runs itself, I don't actually NEED to go anywhere, the fridge is never empty, the wardrobe is always full. My sim can be cheered up with no effort on my part and parenthood is a breeze - no more running about after bottles for baby. Casting is awesome and the open hood gives great backdrops to my pretty pictures.

So I tell myself this - and open up sims3 - and get bored. I have no idea why. Possibly the lack of challenge?

It's a shame, as I really want to like it and I have a top end gaming PC that can run sims3 all EPs and SPs on high no issues. I think. I don't even have half of the EPs and SPs installed - are still in their wrappers. It is fun to build and so on - but come on - do I really want to spend all that money to spend my time casting houses on Armi's builders island because it loads in seconds?

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Mad Poster
#54 Old 22nd Nov 2011 at 1:23 PM
I think you nailed it, Lee-the lack of challenge. The game plays itself. You don't have to do anything.
Quote:
In theory it is perfect for my playing style - the hood runs itself, I don't actually NEED to go anywhere, the fridge is never empty, the wardrobe is always full. My sim can be cheered up with no effort on my part and parenthood is a breeze - no more running about after bottles for baby.

What's fun about a game that makes no demands on the player? Why bother, indeed?

It's sort of watching TV-passive. It doesn't require any input from the player at all.

(yes, I know I stated that I don't play this game, and have never played it-but this is a common refrain from other players that I've observed-"It's too easy!")
Mad Poster
#55 Old 22nd Nov 2011 at 1:25 PM Last edited by Darby : 29th Nov 2011 at 7:53 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Firelira78
I can go on and on, but the basic thing is I find the TS3 sims dull, robotic, uncaring and showing as much emotion as my keyboard and mouse. I HATE EA's running commentary with a passion.."So and so thinks so and so is friendly".."your sim is too tired to do that right now." While typing this, if I were to read a memo that my keyboard is finding me extremely alluring, would I believe that!

I didn't know, until this post, that Sims 3 players have a middle-man in the game telling them about their sims' feelings. No wonder players have a hard time connecting with their sims!

Despite being really excited about Sims 3 when I first heard about it, I very quickly started hearing things that turned me off, big time. I don't even remember some of those early reasons for deciding I wouldn't be buying it, but it doesn't matter now. Firelira's post summed up why I won't get it now, or ever*. I've seen enough of how lifeless the sims are via YouTube videos to know exactly what she's talking about, and that even if the rest of the game was totally awesome, the sims themselves would ruin it for me.

I HATE the way they look and move. I thought perhaps their look would grow on me, but on the contrary, I dislike them more intensely the more I see them. The expressions that would be endearingly (to me) goofy on Sims 2 sims just look creepy on Sims 3 sims. *shudder*

*(A couple years ago, I did buy the base game and first EP or two, used, but even then couldn't muster the enthusiasm to give it a try. Ended up giving them to my daughter.)
Lab Assistant
#56 Old 22nd Nov 2011 at 3:34 PM
My computer will only just run sims3 at normal speed if the settings are turned all the way down, so there's that. Then there's the total lack of control over your neighbours, and the rabbit holes. I love being able to make a whole community up from scratch like you can in sims2, but in sims3 you're limited to the uber-suburbia american-style rabbit holes. Oh look, a cute little village... with a stadium? What, sims can't commute to work now? Switching families is a pain, too.
And much as I enjoy making sims for Sims3 they do have a serious uncanny valley thing going on.
Lab Assistant
#57 Old 22nd Nov 2011 at 3:44 PM
Well, there's a few reasons for me I guess, a lot of the same as other people have said but here you go:

I don't like the general look of the Sims in TS3, and I know this depends a little on how you customize them yourself, but they look... half-retarded compared to TS2.
I don't like the open world neighborhood thing: I don't have a problem with having to rotate through every family in a neighborhood and I don't have a problem with loading screens.
The feel of the buy/build mode in TS3 annoys me to no end: compared to TS2 (which is in no way overly complicated), the interface and tools in TS3 seem a bit "dumbed down", like it's made for very young children.
Some would probably argue that the TS3 graphics are better, but I disagree: on a badass computer TS2 looks better than TS3, in my opinion.

Gameplay-wise I have very little experience with TS3 (since after realizing the above and deciding I prefer TS2) I didn't play it for very long, so for all I know the TS3 gameplay could be a million times better than it is in TS2 - but I still think I'd prefer TS2 because of the above points.

edit: Hahahaha, oh wow: I said TS2/TS3 an awful lot in this post...

And all the Naaru say I'm pretty fly for a Draenei!
LiveJournal - Tumblr
Lab Assistant
#58 Old 22nd Nov 2011 at 6:06 PM
I just hope that EA takes into consideration the mass criticism of TS3 during the production of TS4. There are a LOT of problems with TS3, many of which have been noted in this thread, but to me, the absolute repulsiveness of the actual Sims in TS3 is beyond reason. We need appealing Sims in TS4 that players can "connect" more with instead of being disgusted by. I like the "little pet computer people" feel of TS2. The Sims themselves are the star of the franchise and I feel that with the lack of genetics, gross mannerisms, and ugly appearance they have in TS3...well, the ball was totally dropped. Also, the dialogue boxes at the top which tell you how your Sims are feeling (by the way, that feature is SO glitchy for me it's incredible) just add to the "who cares?" atmosphere of TS3. It's a shame, because I like the personality traits system (though I feel it could be a lot more in-depth) but in the end, I just don't care about my TS3 Sims at all, even if I do get to make them clumsy, evil vegetarians. Putting all the other massive issues with the game aside, I'm still absolutely shell-shocked at some of the huge steps backwards that were taken with TS3. Like raising babies and toddlers...there's not even need for a changing table anymore? Food doesn't come from the fridge anymore? No diapers, no messes. Just ugly, same-looking babies swaddled and unmoving and boring, same-looking toddlers that don't do anything or add anything to the game. Seriously, why? If a player doesn't like dealing with the hassle that should come with having babies in TS3, well...they don't have to make their Sims reproduce! Why take all the fun, realism, and challenge out of raising Sims families?
Site Helper
#59 Old 22nd Nov 2011 at 6:20 PM
I just realized that I forgot one of the main reasons why I don't play Sims 3:

I found that I was spending far too much time on MATY learning about bugs, looking for fixes, and downloading new versions of Awesomemod. I don't want to spend that much time at MATY; I like friendly people.
Banned
#60 Old 22nd Nov 2011 at 7:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by WooHoo31
I'd much rather go through a loading screen for 1 minute to actually dine out and go bowling than stare at a building as I get messages saying that my sim ate a burger. Fun fun fun...
Congratulations, <Sim Name> has eaten a burger!
Mad Poster
#61 Old 22nd Nov 2011 at 8:12 PM
Field Researcher
#62 Old 22nd Nov 2011 at 8:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by M.M.A.A.
who ever wants to see some examples of glitches in sims 3, then its here: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=409175

I'm cracking up with that thread. The bugs are hilarious.

"And every now and then people find the bugs, and they interpret those as cool failures in the Sims terms. For them it's like a treasure hunt, you know." Will Wright

#63 Old 22nd Nov 2011 at 9:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jcalispupo01
I'm cracking up with that thread. The bugs are hilarious.

We should play the Sims 3 just for lulz.
Field Researcher
#64 Old 22nd Nov 2011 at 9:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Alley_Gaytor

I did that a while ago. I used to set free will and just watch, or I used to watch videos about the bugs and try to replicate them. It was like watching a comedy show. Nothing like watching your Sim go into a nightclub, look around and be like "hey...where the hell is everyone?" Then when he steps out, 10 sims are at the elevator raging because of routing failure. Funniest thing is, they don't have even the basic AI of just quitting the activity, they just keep at it.

Also, nothing more funny than knocking on someone's door, and find out that the one living there is a toddler.

Lab Assistant
#65 Old 22nd Nov 2011 at 9:36 PM
Well, I read about both TS2 and TS3 gameplay, watched a few videos and pictures, and figured I'd like TS2 much more. The only thing about TS3 that appeals to me is the appearance of the neighborhood(s). Nothing I have seen or read about its actual gameplay has interested me. There's also the fact that I got all the TS2 EPs and SPs for a pretty good price.
Mad Poster
#66 Old 22nd Nov 2011 at 9:42 PM Last edited by Darby : 29th Nov 2011 at 7:54 PM.

But I sure hope no one buys new, just to do this. The higher-ups at EA don't give a rat's ass whether or not we like it once we get it, as long as they made a sale. So buy used, people, if you must buy at all. Our bitching isn't as likely to get their attention as a hit to the bottom line will.
Lab Assistant
#67 Old 22nd Nov 2011 at 10:26 PM
I don't play sims 3 because the only real upgrade is the number 3 added to the end. The Sims look worse, gameplay options have been removed, it's harder to make custom stuff, you lose control of your sims if you switch houses...it's just so much less-than when compared to Sims 2. And here's the thing about the expansion packs. Why would I bother buying a bunch of much more expensive games just to be able to do LESS than what I can already do with what I already own? It's like someone saying "Oh, you like Chocolate cake? Want some even BETTER cake?" Then they give you a bunch of flour. And when you're like "WTF?" they just say "Oh, no you have to pay for the other ingredients. And by the way, we're out of chocolate."
Scholar
#68 Old 22nd Nov 2011 at 10:53 PM

I did...but the lulz was boring.
Instructor
#69 Old 22nd Nov 2011 at 10:56 PM
Because I love Sims 2 to much to abandon it, and don´t find Sims 3 tempting (for a lot of reasons). It´s simple as that for me
Lab Assistant
#70 Old 22nd Nov 2011 at 11:17 PM
I love the sims 2 and sims 3 i will admit that I have enjoyed the sims3 more because of the open hood the customization and the graphics. I also like story progression. However there are things I would like to change , firstly rabbitholes ..... I hate them i would prefer to see whats going on . If EA would get rid of those and make proper apts and make everything truley open I would be a happier simmer.
Test Subject
#71 Old 23rd Nov 2011 at 4:40 AM
In my opinion, sims 3 sims are still kind of ugly even with cc when compared to sims 2 sims. I mean the sims 3 has Beautiful graphics as far the open world and the pool water, but everything else in the game looks weird to me. For some reason, even though the sims 2 is limited with the loading screens, the game play is a lot more fun. . But that one reason is that I have all expansions and stuff packs for the sims 2 while I only have three expansions for the sims 3. The sad thing is that after Late Night, I lost all interest in buying the expansions because I was so bored of the game. The only thing that I really liked about the sims 3 was the open world.
Field Researcher
#72 Old 23rd Nov 2011 at 6:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by 1ebonychick1
In my opinion, sims 3 sims are still kind of ugly even with cc when compared to sims 2 sims. I mean the sims 3 has Beautiful graphics as far the open world and the pool water, but everything else in the game looks weird to me. For some reason, even though the sims 2 is limited with the loading screens, the game play is a lot more fun. . But that one reason is that I have all expansions and stuff packs for the sims 2 while I only have three expansions for the sims 3. The sad thing is that after Late Night, I lost all interest in buying the expansions because I was so bored of the game. The only thing that I really liked about the sims 3 was the open world.

Add open world to the Sims 2, with the option of freezing specific households, give the graphics of TS3 to TS2 except how Sims look, and let's see how well TS3 fares. That is, of course, if the seamless neighborhood feature actually works instead of bug the game to hell.

The Sims 2 is not "limited" with the loading screens. In fact you should say TS3 is limited with the seamless neighborhood to: 1. not being able to play multiple households without them doing their thing and you coming back only to find a complete mess of your family. 2. rabbit holes (EA put up the excuse that putting things like restaurants, coffee shops, stores, etc., open, would slow down the game, so this is a limitation). 3. Routing (a limitation when making a world in CAW, a limitation in game that causes painful lag and issues). 4. The fact that you go to different community lots and you find only a handful of people instead of a healthy amount.

The Sims 2 is limited with the loading screens to: have you wait 1-2 minutes(1 if it's in the main city, 2 if it's a sub-neighborhood, or at least that's the time for me) for a lot that you can actually see and use. >.>

This is not aimed at you precisely but what you just said made me realize what I just typed. Lol.

Test Subject
#73 Old 23rd Nov 2011 at 7:35 AM
jcalispup01, I completely agree with your post. The loading screens are only 1 minute for me too. The reason why I said that the sims 2 was limited by the loading screens is because you are confined to one lot at a time. Actually, that is a bad thing, because I have don't have any problems with my sims 2 hood like I did with the sims 3 world. I love having sub hoods and I also like being able to control all of my sims 2 families. You are right by saying that the sims 3 is VERY limited with the seamless neighborhood. no sub hoods for the sims 3, so it was hard being able place lots in the world especially if there was no room. It was alright having the sims be able to visit many lots with no loading screens, but the boring rabbit holes and lots messed up everything for me. Some of the community lots, like the Late Night venues, were sometimes empty for me too and I hated the bugs that I had in some clubs with sims crowding around the elevators. I also had some issues in game with sims crowding around certain rabbit holes and I would have to reset all of the sims with cheats. Another thing, that I hated was sending sims off to one of those World Adventure worlds and the sims would return home with broken family trees or random sims being added to the family tree. Anyways, I still feel that the sims 2 is a much better game than the sims 3 though. ^_^
Lab Assistant
#74 Old 23rd Nov 2011 at 7:56 AM
Oh where do I start? Well first of all, I've started playing The Sims 3 about 3 months ago... but during that time I still keep going back to The Sims 2. I don't know why, but there are just so many things that are so wrong in The Sims 3. I'm not saying that The Sims 3 is a terrible game. I used to hate it when I didn't have it, but now I've played it it's not bad to say the least and there are lots of other worse games out there that I wouldn't even consider playing (I'm looking at you, Duke Nukem Forever).

I favor The Sims 2. The Sims 3 is detailed, yes (you can see the Sun, the Moon, stars, random rocks that you can collect), but I guess because the developers put in too much attention to detail, they totally forgot the most important (and most obvious) aspects of life. For example, in The Sims 3 there are only 3 types of kisses: 'Kiss', 'Shy kiss' and 'Make out'. Seriously? Even in The Sims 2 base game, Sims could kiss other Sims in so many different ways! I especially missed the 'Kiss up arm' and 'Suck face' in TS2! The same goes for the flirt interactions. My favorite flirt interaction TS2 was 'Goose' and I was especially upset that my Sims couldn't grab their asses anymore.

Sims are also less attractive in TS3. Males are okay, and you can (with some skill) create very attractive guys without the need of sliders and custom skins. There are even lots of attractive male premades in the different neighborhoods (I especially love Matthew Hamming). However, I can't say the same for the ladies. They are, well, nothing short from butt-ugly. Even the prettiest user-created Sims require lots custom sliders and custom skin tones just to look as they are. But usually the level of beauty female TS3 Sims have is mediocre if you compare it to the beautiful, high-cheekboned, modelesque faces of TS2 Sims.

And the glitches, oh the glitches! I don't even know where to begin with that. It's best if I just say that the game is not as smooth-sailing as The Sims 2. My PC is new and it's got the best system specs there is, but I still occasionally get problems. Even EA's patches can mess the game up (TS3 players who have updated to patch 1.26 can relate).

I also missed the proper community lots in TS2. In TS2, you enter the resto, get greeted by the host at the podium, the host sends you to a table, you sit at the table, the waiter comes to get your order, the waiter goes to the chef and the chef hands out the dish, the waiter serves the dish to your table then you say "bon appetit!" (that is, if the waiter didn't spill the food on you). In 3, this is not the case. The resto is either a rabbit hole or a lot with a cash register that sells food (which is no way as pretty as the restaurant system in Nightlife or Open for Business). Community lots also tend to be deserted in most cases in TS3. In Late Night, my Sim went to a "hotspot" but when he arrived there were only 3 people dancing their asses off. It was horrible and it looked really awkward.

But still, like I said earlier, I don't hate The Sims 3. There are still some aspects in 3 that I have so much fun with. I especially love the new C-A-S and I get 80% of my fun by creating, styling and designing for Sims. But is The Sims 3 a worthy sequel to The Sims 2? No, I don't think so. Hopefully The Sims 4 will be a better installment in the future.

I said a bow string, not a G -- oh, never mind.
My Simblr
Scholar
#75 Old 23rd Nov 2011 at 12:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Zandvoort
*Sims 3 player pops in*

Sims on consoles isn't the same as for PC anyway

*Sims 3 player leaves*

LOL I do realize that but seriously I really enjoyed the Ps2 version so much that I really wanted to play the 'real' game...3yrs later I'm really well hooked on it only thing I liked better on the console was that the ghosts did a little more than what they do on the pc...
Page 3 of 20