Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Space Pony
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th May 2011 at 6:40 AM Last edited by Nymphy01 : 15th May 2011 at 6:43 PM. Reason: Adding details.
Default First Modern.
( I know it's not the best but... I'm looking for improvement, any tips?)
House #1-
Do you think this house is good, or worthy enough to upload to the site?
It's one of my first trys at modern houses and I thought it wasn't too shabby.(:

Please give me feedback -- what I should change about it, if it was even good at all, ect -- as soon as you can.

Thanks.(:

Pics Belooow.

Sorry about the dude... He got in my way. ):

Oh, and the reason why it has cactus's is well...
Because it's in a desert town. (:

Thanks,
Nym

Please, call me Nym.
LJ | Tumblr | DW
Advertisement
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#2 Old 15th May 2011 at 7:19 AM
From a playability perspective, I find it a little strange that if "Sim A" claims the right side of the bed before "Sim B," he/she must walk out the bedroom door, walk around the stairs, walk through another door to get back to the room he/she was in...if that makes sense. I would either adjust the walls or rearrange the furniture of the bedroom to allow for mobility around the bed.

You have a lot of walled off areas that could be useful for nooks and crannies that would be great for showers, bookcases, wardrobes. Some of those ledges might make for interesting balconies.

Typically, houses that look like boxes are frowned upon. Yours is kinda a box...but with another box stacked on top that's slightly turned. Rooms don't always have to be rectangular or square.

I don't mind if you call me "MSD" or something for short.
Tumblr
Perhaps someday I'll have leisure time back...
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 15th May 2011 at 7:22 AM
Strange....anyway the first thing I noticed is that there aren't any supports for the outlying corners of the upper floor....I'm sure this could be done attractively and at the same time give it more structure. Sorry but the pool will have to worked around that....if you agree that is.

Next...the kitchen I prefer having them on the outside wall so your nosy/curious sims can look out while they work.

I notice your sticking with mainly grey, white and black....may accessorize with some red rather than the gold?

The bedroom is too small...no room for a closet. Maybe put the large bedroom downstairs and a small one up top?

Is there anyway you can stagger the stones for the sidewalk...make your own tiles there?

Other than than that lots of moder accessories to make this house a home...and just a bit landscaping especially around the pool.

Have fun!!! I'm interested to see what others have to say.
Space Pony
Original Poster
#4 Old 15th May 2011 at 7:24 AM
MSD-

Thanks for the tips.(:
That is one thing I realized after posting this. I wasn't too big of a fan of the house...
Just wanted to know what everyone thought.(:

My houses aren't typically this small either, I just thought up the shape and thought it might be unique.
Perhapps this unique is a little too shabby, eh?

Though, it does fit the family that is currenty occupying the house. A single mum and toddler.
Thanks again for the feedback, I'll post my second house up soon. Hopefull you'll find it a bit more appealing.(:

Rennara-

Again, thanks for the tips.(:

It is quite an odd house, and as I mentioned before. Much smaller than I had originally planned.
I agree the top story could have been planned out better now that I look back at it.

I hope you will take a look at my next house, perhapps you'll like it more.

Thank you for the feedback.(:

Quote: Originally posted by Rennara
and just a bit landscaping especially around the pool.

There purposly isn't much landscaping, for the town is a desert.
I've lived in a desert before (terrible experience) and there isn't much forage.
Though, I do understand it would look much better with more floral plants.(:

Everyone.
Oh poop. ):
I look back at the house, it's TERRIBLE!!!

I could have done much, much, much better work.
I'll put up another house, hopefully everyone will like it more...

Please, call me Nym.
LJ | Tumblr | DW
dodgy builder
#5 Old 15th May 2011 at 9:50 AM
I don't really play sims2 anymore but I had to take a look at your modern house.

It's not at all terrible. I think you have something interesting going on with those two boxes not quite in line like that. Stick to that general shape. You can make the house more interesting by having window sections sticking our breaking the diagonal shape perhaps?.

On the technical side: Can't you place the rooms more in line with the diagonal walls upstairs? Have diagonal beds and stuff?

In a house that small I think your staircase is too big, and the landing upstairs needs to be smaller.
Space Pony
Original Poster
#6 Old 15th May 2011 at 3:47 PM
Volvenom-
Thank you for the feedback.(:
I'll rearrange somethings and post more pictures later today.
Perhapps I'll get another -- better -- house up as well.

Please, call me Nym.
LJ | Tumblr | DW
Space Pony
Original Poster
#7 Old 15th May 2011 at 4:36 PM Last edited by Nymphy01 : 15th May 2011 at 5:38 PM.
Okay, I think the rooms are better placed.

I know there's some space downstairs that's being unused.
I purposly did that, in case of a new child, ect. Or you could use the area as a study.

New House
I'm working on it, but keep loosing my ideas.
I'll start the house, then in the middle of it I'll deny all of my work. ):

Inspiration, anyone? I'm open to new ideas. As long as it falls into the modern category.
Again, thank you everyone for your feedback. I think I'm going to pass on improving this house, it's not well thought through.

Please, call me Nym.
LJ | Tumblr | DW
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 15th May 2011 at 7:27 PM
I think the best selling feature on this one is the pool...great! The windows are lots and consistent (thumbs up) I think the stairs are way overdone...they look like they belong in a commercial establishment. You might want to try spiral stairs...are they modern?

Sorry if I gave you the wrong impression on the other house I meant strange interesting not strange weird.and A lot of the replies were the same in that it was different but very interesting and something interesting could be done to improve it especially the angles like Volvenom said. About the folage...I was referring to desert folage and boxed plants that fit the scenario. True deserts are unrelenting...been there.

The amount of comments you got in a short space of time certainly indicates a like and an interest...hope you will still work on it.
Space Pony
Original Poster
#9 Old 15th May 2011 at 7:33 PM
I'll try the spiral stairs(:
I can agree with them being overdone, but I love stairs ^-^ I'll fix that haha.
The windows are lots and consistent

That's good, right? I was looking up modern house plans for some inspiration and a lot of them had alot of windows.
The amount of comments you got in a short space of time certainly indicates a like and an interest...hope you will still work on it.

Thanks for that.(: I'll continue to work on it, try and improve it. But, I'll need a lot of breaks... That house really frustrates me for some reason...
Shoot; I deleted it by accident,
There we are.(:
House #2-
Got it.(:
I think this one's quite a bit better...
What do ya'll think?(:

I hope it's better, but I'm open for improvement.(:

I'm hoping that as I move along down the street, the houses will improve. Which is why I desperatly need your feedback.
Thanks,

Nym

Please, call me Nym.
LJ | Tumblr | DW
Field Researcher
#10 Old 15th May 2011 at 8:30 PM
Yeah, it's better. Okay let's start:
First picture: Bed on the left room is going through the wall.
A room with just a diagonal bed looks weird. There's missing stuff on the whole picture: everything looks empty. The balcony with the two benches only, the floor with anything than the architectures, etc. Some plants, pictures, rugs, shelves, ... what you want - take it!! Place it!! Imagine you would live in there. You would like to have that stuff when you're already having beds and so on.
Second picture: Hmm needs something to make it more interesting. Maybe first removing some of the windows, or try some else. You used just one window on the whole building. Cluttered next to each other for 20 times... hm You know. And maybe you could make the pool itself more interesting too. What would it be, if you make an island? Or maybe kind of a little balcony in front of the windows with a way to get into the pool? I mean, that you could go into the pool without walking around the house? Hope you can imagine that. If not but you would like to see what I mean, ask me and I try to show it in my game for you And put some plants. Desert plants are great as well. I know desert can have really beautiful plants.
Third picture: Also decorating, as for the first picture. Maybe then your house wouldn't look to large for what it takes. We'll see. Right now there's much empty space.
Why don't you use different flooring in the bathrooms?
Fourth picture: See where four windows are right next to each other? There are beautiful windows, which are 4-tiles long. They would look awesome instead. Try it
Fifth picture: You're using a lot of windows. So it's kind of a glassy house. The big black wallbuilding in front of the pool is a little bit bothering me, because it's just not that "open" and "light" as the rest of the house. Maybe try to 1.) make it smaller 2.) put some Arches/Arching doors.... you know the doors without a door or windows in it to give the same "open" feeling. And maybe some plants around, on the wall.

Hope I could help!

Please feel free to correct me, if I make mistakes. I want to improve my English. Thanks! - My website
Space Pony
Original Poster
#11 Old 15th May 2011 at 8:43 PM
[QUOTE=ShineShine]First picture: Bed on the left room is going through the wall.
A room with just a diagonal bed looks weird. There's missing stuff on the whole picture: everything looks empty. The balcony with the two benches only, the floor with anything than the architectures, etc. Some plants, pictures, rugs, shelves, ... what you want - take it!! Place it!! Imagine you would live in there. You would like to have that stuff when you're already having beds and so on.
Quote:

I did not catch the bed, thanks, I'll replace that.(:
I see what you mean, I'll decorate more.(:
I'll change the bed and post more pics.

[QUOTE=ShineShine]Second picture: Hmm needs something to make it more interesting. Maybe first removing some of the windows, or try some else. You used just one window on the whole building. Cluttered next to each other for 20 times... hm You know.

Yes, I know there are alot of windows, but they're suppose to be that way.(;

I'll take your other thoughts into concideration as well, thanks.(:

Please, call me Nym.
LJ | Tumblr | DW
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 15th May 2011 at 9:23 PM
Windows are great in modern homes...different sizes of the same style/colour would bring more interest I do concur. . I agree with the arches outside too and having it accessible from upstairs and directly from inside. Giving space to walk around the pool you'll 2 widths if you don't want your sims fighting to get by each other.

What kind of roof? More and bigger bathrooms..at least one upstairs although I can tell you're not nearly finished. Again have fun!!
Space Pony
Original Poster
#13 Old 15th May 2011 at 9:37 PM
I've added alot more decorations in the bedrooms.
Still stuck on what to put outside though.
I changed the stairs to spiral as Rennara suggested.
The big block is basically the rest of the house's support center...

Thanks guys for the feed back.(:
I'll post updated pictures in the next hour or so.

Please, call me Nym.
LJ | Tumblr | DW
Space Pony
Original Poster
#14 Old 15th May 2011 at 10:11 PM
Wow.
I think my decorating skills have improved!
The house is looking at least 3 times better (upstairs).
I can't find ways to make downstairs -- or the patio -- filled, and interesting. ):

Updates-

Here's a view of the front, with the edits.(:

My favorite room, the room on the far left.(:

The living room

I added some forage. And moved the ladders...

Boys bedroom...

Here's the last bedroom, and the biggest.(:

The bottom looks pretty much the same, with a few rugs added...
OH! I did promise pictures of the stairs, I'll do that soon.
If you want to see a certain view, feel free to ask.(:

Again, thanks so much for your feedback.
It's helped me so much!!

EDIT
I'm not sure why the pictures keep turning out thumbnail size...
I'm positive that I'm putting the screenshots up, instead of the thumbnail.
Sorry about the inconvinience. Hopefully they're good enough?

Please, call me Nym.
LJ | Tumblr | DW
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#15 Old 15th May 2011 at 10:13 PM
Some of those pictures are too small to see any details.

Tumblr
Space Pony
Original Poster
#16 Old 15th May 2011 at 10:17 PM
MSD-
I'll try reposting them, hold on a sec.

Please, call me Nym.
LJ | Tumblr | DW
Inventor
#17 Old 15th May 2011 at 10:27 PM
Personally, I like the second house the way it is, especially the way you have set up the pool. I'm not too fond of modern houses, but I like this one! I also love the pool in the first house.
Space Pony
Original Poster
#18 Old 15th May 2011 at 10:49 PM
Here lets see if this works out...

It worked!!(:
Thankyoo imageshack for easy uploading.(:
Hope this helps,
Any tips for the patio, or downstairs?

Nym

Please, call me Nym.
LJ | Tumblr | DW
Meet Me In My Next Life
#19 Old 15th May 2011 at 11:47 PM Last edited by Simonut : 16th May 2011 at 12:12 AM.
@ Nym > Your bedroom with the bed that have the screen at the foot of the bed. If you are planning on have more than one Sims use that bed, there is no way the Sims can get to the other side near the window.
But if it is for a single Sim only to use that bed then it is ok as it is. You are coming along well I personally love the windows taking the place of a walls it give the house more of a open space look ( more light ) which is often found in a very modern home.

I am not fond of the rolls of green hedge , on this kind of "desert" like landscape, because a dry, barren region is without such, unless they are desert plants and trees.
You can always use the desert like plants that are found in the game instead, or just use the clear or color see through fencing that you have use on your terrace.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Space Pony
Original Poster
#20 Old 16th May 2011 at 12:07 AM Last edited by Nymphy01 : 16th May 2011 at 12:21 AM.
Simonut
Thank you.(:
Actually it is for a single sim. The two smaller bedrooms are meant for teen sims.
The master is the one that look more, well, grown up.
But thank you for the feedback.(:

Shrubs~
I agree, I'll edit that and repost.
Thank you!

House #3-

Is anyone interested on more details towards this house?
If so, I'll post more pics (:

Please, call me Nym.
LJ | Tumblr | DW
Space Pony
Original Poster
#21 Old 16th May 2011 at 12:31 AM
leo06girl
Thank you!(:
Sorry I didn't post this early, too caught up in frustration over my silly pictures.
::facepalm::

Please, call me Nym.
LJ | Tumblr | DW
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#22 Old 16th May 2011 at 1:39 AM
The house is looking better. I'm assuming the roof is a flat roof (i.e. floor tiles), which would fit the style and setting of the house.

I like the way the two spiral stairs are arranged. I've never had them arranged like that in my game, but I'll be sure to try it some time.
Could you show more of the room (e.g. the floor plan) with the stairs to see how you've further changed it? I noticed the empty space around the base of the stairs (around the easel). From a design standpoint, empty space can be equally important as filled-in space (some times it's even more important). In The Sims games, empty space can be especially beneficial with resolving routing issues. That said, I wonder if there isn't something that could be put in that empty space. (I sometimes like to put surfaces, plants or other decorative things under my spiral stairs.) Looking back at your previous post, that room was a long, fairly empty room. It had a sofa and a stereo, but most of its space was filled with staircase. Much of that space has been cleared thanks to the spiral stairs, so I'm curious how that has affected the room...

House #3 looks interesting...at least from the outside, since that's all you've shown us.
A patio might look nice within that enclosed pool area.

Tumblr
Space Pony
Original Poster
#23 Old 16th May 2011 at 2:14 AM
Yes, the house's roof is flat.
I'll take some more photos and post ( House #2 ). (:

House #3-
Pictures will be posted in the next half hour, keep checking in.(:

Please, call me Nym.
LJ | Tumblr | DW
Space Pony
Original Poster
#24 Old 16th May 2011 at 2:25 AM
House #3
Here we are...

Whatdya think?(:

Please, call me Nym.
LJ | Tumblr | DW
Space Pony
Original Poster
#25 Old 16th May 2011 at 2:42 AM
For you, MSD and Simonut...
House #2

Please, call me Nym.
LJ | Tumblr | DW
Locked thread | Locked by: spladoum Reason: good decorating tips.
Page 1 of 2