Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#276 Old 12th Jul 2016 at 2:05 PM
I have been doing this challenge for a while and thought I would add a daily roll for myself or anyone who is interested! *Sorry for the long post!!*
1. Epidemic - All of the teens and children are sick! They must stay in their rooms all day!
2. Two of the siblings got in a fight! They have to be in the same rooms as each other all day.
3. The fridge broke! Throw out everything inside, and buy a new fridge.
4. Uh-Oh your heir/heiress just found out they are pregnant again!
5. Mom has had enough! She is staying in her room today and letting dad handle the children!
6. Something went wrong with the pluming and there is no running water from 7am - 6pm!
7. Yay! all sold items are worth double today!
8. All sold items are worth half today!
9. The power went out overnight! No lights from for one day!
10. No going into build/buy mode today! (Good Luck!)
11. Mom and dad have decided they are going to have a date night away from the kids!
12. If the mother/father of your children doesn't live in the house, they are coming to visit! Make sure the house is spotless, or they will take the child away!
13. A small row-boat has crashed into the side of your island with a child inside! Add a child to your family!
14. Spending spree! Spend (at least) $100 in buy mode today!
15. Your heir/heiress wants a baby! Try for a baby!
16. The children went outside to fish and found a bag with $1,000 inside!
17. Freak weather! Whatever season it is right now make it the opposite!
18. Mom or dad wants the children to be healthy, they must prepare the full three meals today!
19. One of your family members has told you they are moving to China (or a destination of your choice)! Kick someone out!
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#277 Old 15th Sep 2016 at 7:15 PM
I don't know if this warrants a post or not, but the download links for the official Midnight Sun Challenge worlds that I made have changed as I posted them on my new tumblr the other day. This is all in the first post, and I suppose most of you already have the world downloaded anyway.

And to all of you out there who posts here in thread: I'm happy to see you all enjoy the challenge, and please continue to post about your MSC adventures - I don't visit these forums too often but when I do it's a delight to read. I know I don't answer many questions but the way I look at challenge rules, they are just guidelines. Follow them all strictly or just see them as a base to be inspired by - at the end of the day I'm just a guy who had an idea, and I think it's really up to all the players to play the game the way you like it. It's like in the Perfect Genetics Challenge which I also wrote the rules for, I often play that one myself but there are some rules I constantly break despite having written them myself.

Happy simming!

Creator of the Perfect Genetics and Midnight Sun Challenges.
Visit the SimGurra tumblr - home to my TS3 creations, including the official Midnight Sun Challenge worlds!
Test Subject
#278 Old 26th Oct 2016 at 5:24 AM
So I just started this challenge yesterday and I think it's awesome. I've played through this challenge a few times in the past but I never got around to actually finishing it, so that's what I'm trying to do this time around. Btw, I know I'm a little late to the party... Like 5 years late but oh well. Still a great challenge. I'll be summarising my gameplay in a blog which you can find here: http://thesims3midnightsunchallenge.blogspot.com.au/
Test Subject
#279 Old 28th Oct 2016 at 6:59 PM Last edited by charleeys92 : 28th Oct 2016 at 8:09 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by SimAddictedFreak
So I just started this challenge yesterday and I think it's awesome. I've played through this challenge a few times in the past but I never got around to actually finishing it, so that's what I'm trying to do this time around. Btw, I know I'm a little late to the party... Like 5 years late but oh well. Still a great challenge. I'll be summarising my gameplay in a blog which you can find here: http://thesims3midnightsunchallenge.blogspot.com.au/

Ha I'm joining you. Your first blogpost is cool. I started the challenge in combination with Perfect Genetics yesterday. Thanks Gurra09 for creating this challenge. I think challenges keep the game to be so much fun, still after all these years of playing.

Question: I'm playing with the IP version of the Island. I noticed the phones don't work. After my sim came back from uni (where she met her future husband) I wanted to invite her guy but her cell as well as the house phone don't work. There are simply no options when you click on it. Anyone experienced the same? This makes it impossible to complete the challenge without cheats (moving sims into the household).
Edit: funny thing, she did get called before going to uni although she didn't know anyone. I'm using Nraas mods Overwatch and Register only.
Test Subject
#280 Old 28th Oct 2016 at 11:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by charleeys92
Question: I'm playing with the IP version of the Island. I noticed the phones don't work. After my sim came back from uni (where she met her future husband) I wanted to invite her guy but her cell as well as the house phone don't work. There are simply no options when you click on it. Anyone experienced the same? This makes it impossible to complete the challenge without cheats (moving sims into the household).
Edit: funny thing, she did get called before going to uni although she didn't know anyone. I'm using Nraas mods Overwatch and Register only.

Hmm phones work for me on the IP version. I'm not the creator of the challenge so don't quote me on this but I would say it's probably fine to use a cheat or two in this situation. I feel like that's more you getting around an issue with your game rather than cheating. Anyway, I hope that the phone issue just fixes itself at some point.
Test Subject
#281 Old 29th Oct 2016 at 2:49 AM
I just started this challenge. I love it but I have one question. How do you buy books if there is no bookstore? I want to get books for my toddlers. Thanks!
Test Subject
#282 Old 29th Oct 2016 at 10:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by justwright62
I just started this challenge. I love it but I have one question. How do you buy books if there is no bookstore? I want to get books for my toddlers. Thanks!

I think that's apart of the challenge. You can't do some things that you would normally be able to do in a normal sims world. I think there are some other ways to get books without bookstores though. You could buy a bookshelf if you haven't already since those automatically come with some books or you could buy this from the sims 3 store http://store.thesims3.com/productDe...ategoryId=13177.
It's on sale right now so if you have some spare sim points then get it. One of the features of the item is that your sims can buy books on it without a bookstore. There's also this mod here: http://nraas.wikispaces.com/WrittenWord#MOD. It allows you to purchase books that your sims have written (so if any of your sims write a children's book then that might be something to read to the toddler, although to be able to write the book you might need a few skill levels). I'm pretty sure that this can be done from a computer with the mod (buying your own books) but I'm not entirely sure. Other than that though, I don't know any other ways of purchasing books on the islands. Hope this helped.
Test Subject
#283 Old 29th Oct 2016 at 12:00 PM Last edited by charleeys92 : 29th Oct 2016 at 5:24 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by SimAddictedFreak
Hmm phones work for me on the IP version. I'm not the creator of the challenge so don't quote me on this but I would say it's probably fine to use a cheat or two in this situation. I feel like that's more you getting around an issue with your game rather than cheating. Anyway, I hope that the phone issue just fixes itself at some point.

I would but I don't really know a way to cheat in this case I found out through some searching that I can invite the guy by clicking on his avatar in the relationship tab. Some other things are also available through the computer (traveling for example) so I hope that will suffice for the duration of this challenge!
Edit: surprisingly the phone started working again during playing!

Quote: Originally posted by justwright62

Take your sim to university. There is a bookstore where you can get all the books for your kids.
Top Secret Researcher
#284 Old 29th Oct 2016 at 11:40 PM
I just started this challenge and I gave my castaway the unlucky trait because why not if you get stuck on a little rock in the ocean.
And after three days, a meteor strikes her tent. Grimmi shows up and is so amused about her bad luck, he lets her go on living. I don't know about that. She got a huge space rock out of the deal and is now off to Egypt to find herself a husband, or at least someone she can make babies with. I think the clean-up is a small price to pay.
Test Subject
#285 Old 30th Oct 2016 at 9:32 AM
Whoa a meteor? That's never happened to me before. Pretty cool. I'm happy your Sim got another chance of living tho. It would suck if you were already done with the challenge within Simdays. I do really like that you gave your Sim the unlucky trait. I use the positive traits way too often.

So I'm combining this challenge with the perfect genetics challenge and surprisingly the first baby my Sim had, is a perfect heir. You only find out once the baby becomes a toddler so I had her pregnant again just in case. I wonder what to do with her lil brother once he's an adult, keep him or throw him out?
Test Subject
#286 Old 22nd Nov 2016 at 9:18 PM
I was bored and decided to try. Sounds like fun! The most challenging aspects are: how to EXPLAIN why the heck all these generations stay on the island and never leave, except for short vacations thrice in a lifetime, and where do they get all their stuff from, also, making it feel that each generation is in a different period of history is sort of difficult, but much easier than when playing five generations in a regular sims 3 world (I mean, there's almost a 100 year gap between the founder's being YA and the fifth generation growing up into YA.
My progress is in my blog: https://simmerhilda.tumblr.com/
(well, I'm TRYING to make the story feel at least a little believable)
Field Researcher
#287 Old 9th Mar 2017 at 2:25 AM
I just started playing the Midnight Sun Challenge using a different world (Mairin), and with a different twist on how my Sim came to be on a little island in an isolated world (spoiler: and how she'll be able to travel between worlds). Something Daniel Faraday could explain, in only the way he could.

Committed to completing the challenge and posting my progress. Thank you Gurra09 for a fun and challenging challenge
https://leealeesims3.wordpress.com/
Test Subject
#288 Old 22nd Mar 2017 at 3:47 PM
I want to do this challenge but I don't have world adventurs and university naither, so I decided to brake the rules and socialize with a mermaide or try to get abducted by aliens and find the goodest one I can find! XD
Field Researcher
#289 Old 2nd Jul 2017 at 7:55 PM Last edited by Frogsnack : 2nd Jul 2017 at 9:32 PM.
Default Let's get to it!
Okay after hearing about this challenge for half of an actual decade I finally decided to try it. I've been obsessed with the TestofTime challenge for a while now (http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=438591) and I'm actually thinking I could use the 5 gen family I build in the midnight sun challenge and add them into the test of time (a 20 gen challenge). There's also a spot in that challenge that calls for an 'exploration age', and the family being built here would be great to inject new genetics sins as well to to turn them into a sort of Swiss Family Robinson, living off the land and whatnot. Essentially they'd be the tribal society that is discovered. So I think the timeline of 5 gens here is perfect for being added into other challenges and I'm excited!
Also did anyone else have trouble trying to edit the world? I wanted to play without a houseboat but add diving lots and going into edit town mode makes all screen icons disappear (even when played with no mods). I've recently had my game updated to the 1.69 (which I hate) so I'm wondering if it's an issue with the update or was like that before? I really wanted diver sims, and there's a whole ocean I thought i could plunk lots down into or build on. Is this by world design?

Also here's some of my family- starter sims Anastasia was shipwrecked as a child and as a I used the wikia (http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Category...orld_Adventures) to find a good match for her so I wasted no time in locating Pascal Morel to be her mate- they were compatible and he comes with nectar and gardening already skilled up. I also used this site as a resource to match up my kids so instead of waiting until YA to have my kids find a good match, I found one in advance and sent them to meet potential future mates. Gen 2 went to Egypt because of this, and both of Anastasia's sons found good matches Dunya Barakat is a teen who is a great kisser, good, neat & athletic), and Meret Hawas is a child who is a couch potato, bibliophile and frugal (thought she'd make a great writer and then she aged up with the social butterfly trait lol)

Not all the captions saved so here's a

Here's Mods I'm using (have to get sleep freedom soon because...ugh);
~Children Can: unlocks activities like gardening and even squishing grapes for children with no stretching. So they don't just fish or paint for the first part of their lives, it's awesome! http://modthesims.info/d/579548 by kapaer.
~Icarus_allsorts has some great little scripting mods http://modthesims.info/browse.php?gs=0&u=7081784
~Gesimsz Faster runtime mod for nectar making (he also has a variety of these types of mods if you want to speed up or slow down things like sketching, inventing etc) http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=460453
~Bubblegun_14 Plants live 100x longer http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=518492 (I hate how the game punishes you when you get to perfect plants and they all start rapidly dying so this corrects for it a bit.
~Butterbot's Canning station overhaul is great if you have the store item, turns meals into rations you can take when you travel (I get real tired of cold soup or carnival food from the market when I can just 'pack a lunch' during travel. One of the best recent mods to come out! http://modthesims.info/d/580462
NRAAS (of course) Register to control populations and allow teen travel

Bread edges.... are the new white meat.
READ the Sparrows Random Legacy Challenge Blog
READ the Sparrows WISHACY Challenge Blog
WATCH the Test of Time Challenge Let's Play! Videos
Forum Resident
#290 Old 18th Dec 2017 at 8:13 PM
I'm mixing this with the Perfect Genetics challenge, except, she won't hate her own children, she'll have both Family Orientated and Nurturing traits, and here's the catch - each generation needs at least four kids, but preferably more. On the tiny island! When I'm terrible at managing so many Sims!

This is gonna be hell, lol.

I ramble a lot, and get confused easily, so my apologies to you in advance.
Instructor
#291 Old 29th Dec 2017 at 4:45 PM
I'm giving this challenge a go while I'm on my vacation. I do have one question, though. Is it okay to turn an imaginary friend real to use as your heir's spouse (assuming they can learn to make the potion through the chemistry set)? I was thinking it might be appropriate for a sim to have an imaginary friend on an isolated island. It's particularly fitting in my heir's case since they have the 'insane' trait.

Duh and/or Hello!
(simblr)
Test Subject
#292 Old 5th Jan 2018 at 10:07 PM
@k2m1too I sure hope so as I love using IF as spouses.

Does the second version of the island (with the decoration boat, not the houseboat) also have a dive spot if I have Island Paradise? Because I really love that design more than the houseboat (not a fan of houseboat houses) but I'd like to dive and maybe add a mermaid to my family tree at some point. This looks really fun!

hello
Instructor
#293 Old 6th Jan 2018 at 11:46 AM
@TaintedDreams - Well, I'm just going to go with it as if it's allowed. I don't want to have to leave the island. LOL Maybe I'll make that a requirement of my legacy.

Duh and/or Hello!
(simblr)
Lab Assistant
#294 Old 8th Feb 2018 at 2:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by k2m1too
@TaintedDreams - Well, I'm just going to go with it as if it's allowed. I don't want to have to leave the island. LOL Maybe I'll make that a requirement of my legacy.

Other people in this thread have turned their IFs human for their heirs to marry so it appears to be fine.
Lab Assistant
#295 Old 19th Jun 2018 at 12:01 PM
I'm trying a sort of fusion challenge, part midnight sun, part perfect genetics and part poligamy. I'm using a custom island world called Paradise which is a little bigger.

Less isolated than intended maybe, but it's still mostly deserted

I don't have a lot of pics of the start or my founder but he's just a clone of Cid Serverus from University, with different traits: charismatic, vegetarian, friendly, family oriented, irresistible. I named him Morgan Elmore.
He started with two wives, Marie and Megan (I randomized the names and when I got Morgan and Megan I decided to go with three M's ).
Marie's traits are: lucky, neat, family oriented, artistic, perfectionist. Megan's are: good, excitable, hopeless romantic, eco-friendly, family oriented.

Marie only had one child, while Megan had triplets right away and a fourth child.

On the right is Marie's son Anton, playing with Megan's boys

The third triplet is a girl, her name is Barbara, in the second pic she's a teen and playing with her sister Candice. They'll both make good heirs, I could keep both and continue the poligamy route.
Lab Assistant
#296 Old 21st Jun 2018 at 7:48 PM
I originally put them in that big round-ish building you can see in my previous post, but the lot was on a hill and kept glitching so I moved them to a flat one. And I decided to build a house the same size it would be on the original challenge world, though with more outdoor space.

I'll eventually make a nicer lab in that basement but for now it's mostly just extra room for when I have too many children.

My founder sim died of old age, the house is so small that the Grim Reaper delivered his speech through the bathroom wall XD
Then Marie also died. (The pet tombstones are strays, Barbara has the animal lover trait and wants to adopt strays but all those coming by are old and about to die...)

Isn't it strange how the breast size seem to go up with every daughter?

Test Subject
#297 Old 21st Jun 2018 at 10:46 PM
I decided to start a midnight sun challenge, trying to work in a weird storyline too. Granted, I've decided the sims are not allowed to ever leave the island.

To my simblr...

I'll try and make it nicer, for now it's all bare bones beginnings!
Lab Assistant
#298 Old 23rd Jun 2018 at 12:24 AM Last edited by leriety : 23rd Jun 2018 at 12:34 AM.
Maybe I'll also start a simblr, I tried a blog a while ago but I'm not good at storytelling.

The journey of husband searching for my sim girls was a mess. Getting him to move in was a challenge in itself, i didn't get any 'move in' or even 'marry' options on him, I couldn't even use the 'add sim' cheat. After I dismissed him as a roommate and called him back twice (for which I had to cheat and pause the trip or my household would have been sent back) I eventually managed to at least get the 'add sim' cheat to work.
And this happened in the second try, I had to go back opening a previous save because he didn't show up in the relationship panel back in the home world... such a mess.
Next time I'll have them get a proper vacation, no more university. I picked the first sim that ticked the attraction popup, Anoki Moon.

I forgot to mention before there's also a third sister and she's an heir too, so he has a total of four wives, I'm having some jealousy and cheating fights issues... barely a week into this generation and they already have two sons (both Barbara's) plus another baby on the way (this time Megan's) possibly a girl.

PS: There's a mistake in the game translation, instead of cheating as in on a lover they used the word for cheating in games. At first I had no idea what it was about until I noticed the sim saw them whohoo and I made the connection. Do you know if it can be fixed?
Test Subject
#299 Old 13th Aug 2018 at 4:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by leriety
Maybe I'll also start a simblr, I tried a blog a while ago but I'm not good at storytelling.

The journey of husband searching for my sim girls was a mess. Getting him to move in was a challenge in itself, i didn't get any 'move in' or even 'marry' options on him, I couldn't even use the 'add sim' cheat. After I dismissed him as a roommate and called him back twice (for which I had to cheat and pause the trip or my household would have been sent back) I eventually managed to at least get the 'add sim' cheat to work.
And this happened in the second try, I had to go back opening a previous save because he didn't show up in the relationship panel back in the home world... such a mess.
Next time I'll have them get a proper vacation, no more university. I picked the first sim that ticked the attraction popup, Anoki Moon.

I forgot to mention before there's also a third sister and she's an heir too, so he has a total of four wives, I'm having some jealousy and cheating fights issues... barely a week into this generation and they already have two sons (both Barbara's) plus another baby on the way (this time Megan's) possibly a girl.

PS: There's a mistake in the game translation, instead of cheating as in on a lover they used the word for cheating in games. At first I had no idea what it was about until I noticed the sim saw them whohoo and I made the connection. Do you know if it can be fixed?

sorry, I don't know how to fix your problem, but I must admit that i ADORE your sims hair! and they're all so pretty <3
Test Subject
#300 Old 20th Aug 2018 at 9:12 AM
I just started, and I'm currently creating my sim. Will post Again Soon! ^-^
Page 12 of 14