Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 23rd Sep 2009 at 2:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Elizabella
Here you go.

I also added a basically non-functioning girls bedroom upstairs remembering that Jacob had 2 sisters so they would have probably shared a room. It's non functioning because the roof really isn't high enough to have full walls or a ceiling so it might get really cold up there.

The non-functioning bedroom doesn't make much sense for an upload. There is enough room on the main level if the large bedroom and entryway are made smaller. You would just have to switch things around a bit. Was there a bedroom upstairs in the inspirational home?

For the landscaping:
*Get rid of all the birch trees behind the house and replace them with a cluster of pine trees.
*Get rid of one or two of the large flowering bushes (I forget what they're called)
*Get rid of the birch tree on the corner of the street-it looks very out of place
*Remove a few of the other birch trees near the front of the lot and replace those with small clusters of pine trees.

I tried to save one of your pics and edit it in my paint programme, but for some reason I couldn't get it to work, so I appologise if all of this sounds confusing.

Other than that it's looking much better!

"All religions are founded on the fear of the many and the cleverness of the few."
Marie Henri Beyle (1783-1842)
Advertisement
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#27 Old 23rd Sep 2009 at 4:07 PM Last edited by Elizabella : 23rd Sep 2009 at 5:15 PM. Reason: Added Revised Pictures
I'm not really sure if there is an upstairs or not in the real house since I don't have a floor plan or anything. I can get rid of it though. What do you think makes more sense, for it to be more "simmified" or more true to the original?

I was running into a problem that it is supposed to be a smallish house but in Simland it's a very decent size.
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 25th Sep 2009 at 3:37 AM
I LOVE the new landscaping! Well done!

As far as the layout is concerned, I def think it is more important to make the home "simmified". IMHO, I think you should lose the second story bedroom and rearrange the bottom level to have three bedrooms. OR, you could make the second story able to be "lived in" by adding stairs somewhere. Let me know if you need more help!

This is really coming along brilliantly!

"All religions are founded on the fear of the many and the cleverness of the few."
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#29 Old 25th Sep 2009 at 7:03 AM
Ugh I just realized some of my portals still aren't correct. The taxi was driving on the grass and the newspaper boy came in through the back door but anyway I'll find a way to fix it later.

So I've done round 1 of my decorating. It's ok to be brutal.

My theme was a fairly basic house on a reservation. Billy is in a wheelchair so I had to be careful not to put carpet or rugs everywhere. Um that's all I can think of for now, but I'm sure I'll think of more details and the critiques start
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 25th Sep 2009 at 1:16 PM
Ugh I just realized some of my portals still aren't correct. The taxi was driving on the grass and the newspaper boy came in through the back door but anyway I'll find a way to fix it later.

So I've done round 1 of my decorating. It's ok to be brutal.

My theme was a fairly basic house on a reservation. Billy is in a wheelchair so I had to be careful not to put carpet or rugs everywhere. Um that's all I can think of for now, but I'm sure I'll think of more details and the critiques start

Did you move the mailbox and rubbish bin? That can make the taxi go wonkie. Same with the paper person.

The layout seems strange to me. The hallway doesn't really serve a purpose and I think needs to go. The main reason is because the bar seating you have is not useable. The first seat can be used, but since there is clutter on the bar the can't really eat there. The second and third chairs are not accessable and there's a phone on it anyhow so they wouldn't be able to eat there either.

Did you remove the bedroom upstairs? I didn't see a pic, so I thought I would ask.

I also noticed a desk in one bedroom that doesn't have a chair. Was this on purpose?

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#31 Old 25th Sep 2009 at 4:15 PM
Well I did that rotate lot but the portals were supposed to move with it, not a big deal, I'm not worried (yet!)

The hallway I put in becauseit was one of the few descriptions from the book. It said something like Jacob's room was at the end of the hallway.

The bar seating is more for appearances than purpose. After all there is a four seat table in the kitchen.

Yes I removed the upstairs bedroom and no I just messed up on the desk. It should have a chair.
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 27th Sep 2009 at 5:05 PM
Hmmm... Maybe if you rearranged the bedroom layout it would make more sense with the long hallway. I haven't read the book, so forgive my ignorance. Does it make mention of the other bedroom(s) and the location(s)?

The bar should be able to be used or should be taken out. It will only frustrate downloaders when their sims get stuck between the chairs.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#33 Old 29th Sep 2009 at 5:45 AM
Ok well I definitely donn' want to frustrate our wonderful downloaders. I will go through my books tomorrow and try and find key points about the layout. Oh how I wish the floorplan would be released like it was for the Swan house!
Field Researcher
#34 Old 29th Sep 2009 at 9:30 AM
Can you see how the floorboards are not lining up? Just rotate them around, till they line up with eachother. Otherwise, it will make it look bad. Otherwise, Nice Work!

I didn't see you there. Hello. *runs* | Visit my CFF World thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#35 Old 30th Sep 2009 at 5:48 AM
Ok so I may post too much but I'd rather be thorough so if you get bored...just stop reading - All pages are either the NEw Moon Paperback or the Eclipse Hardcover

NM - pg-301 - Billy was leaning around an open doorway, just off the little kitchen...not in his chair yet.

NM-pg 302-He finally said, nodding toward the tiny hallway off the front room...Jacob's tiny closet of a room was the only door in the yard long hallway.

NM-pg 331 - the front room, kike Bill's house, was mostly kitchen..standing at the counter by the sink

NM - pg-373 - sam was right behind Billy, pushing his chair through the door...billy pulled his had away from Jacob and then he rolled himself thrugh the kitchen toward his room.

So unfortunately that's all I can find...know it's not muich but a movie guide comes out I think Saturday and hopefully there'll be some details in that.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#36 Old 8th Oct 2009 at 6:24 PM
Updates Yay!!!

Sorry it took so long but I had to create a mother and father for Jacob so we could get some family pictures which I've forgotten to put in the screenshots but I will next time.

I still haven't bought the movie companion but I will this weekend to see if anything needs to be changed from the movie perspective. I hope they have some good pictures otherwise it will be all imagination!
Field Researcher
#37 Old 10th Oct 2009 at 6:13 AM
Haha, I am back. I love the layout, but I think that you need to fix the bar stools for the kitchen. Either make the bench shorter by one against the wall so you can get into the end stool or just don't have a bar..?. Other than that, it is a great house.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#38 Old 10th Oct 2009 at 6:17 AM
Um not sure what you mean, they can sit at every stool

also what do you think of this collage of family photos. I was going to get a school photo and some others and fill the hallway.
Screenshots
Field Researcher
#39 Old 10th Oct 2009 at 6:28 AM
Hmm, I like it, and the reason I said the stools bit, was because I thought that they were just against the wall, haha my bad.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#40 Old 10th Oct 2009 at 6:29 AM
No problem Ok I'll buy moviecompanion tomorrow and then upload time! FIngers crossed.
Lab Assistant
#41 Old 16th Oct 2009 at 4:17 PM
WOW! Lots of things have happened since the last time I checked in on this post! LOVE the new layout and the colours/deco. I am surprised the sims can use each of the barstools since they appear to be up against the wall. I wonder what would happen if one sim was on the one in the corner with another sim on the stool next to him. Can the one boxed in get out or is there a result of a frustrated sim?

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#42 Old 16th Oct 2009 at 8:41 PM
I've missed you rhedbuddha! I'm still playtesting with the bar stools. For one sim it was no problem but then I had a party and nobody would sit at the bar so I've moved it around a little.

I do have to alter Jacob's bedroom a little based on this picture

Hopefully it will be done soon
Lab Assistant
#43 Old 17th Oct 2009 at 1:37 AM
I missed you too! Ps. I just noticed on your profle that you like ice hockey! SO DO I!! lol! What is your fav team?

Anyway, I was afraid that would be the result of the bar stools. A very easy way to remedy this issue is to get rid of the counter next to the fridge. then there will be enough space behing the stools for sims to move around. That should fix it!

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#44 Old 20th Oct 2009 at 7:00 AM
Wow sorry it's taking me so long to get back to you. I'm busy with real life and that means sims are waiting but I took my last family portraits tonight so I should have new pictures tomorrow. Oh and fave hockey team is definitely Colorado Avalanche How about yours?
Lab Assistant
#45 Old 20th Oct 2009 at 3:06 PM
Wow sorry it's taking me so long to get back to you. I'm busy with real life and that means sims are waiting but I took my last family portraits tonight so I should have new pictures tomorrow. Oh and fave hockey team is definitely Colorado Avalanche How about yours?

I am a hard-core Detroit Red Wings fan. Though I was very disappointed in them when they lost so carelessly to the Penguins. The Pens played really, really well and Detroit seemed to just not care if they won the cup or not.

I am excited about the pics you'll be putting up soon! I think you're almost ready for upload!!

Ps. I just uploaded a house here for review. Can you tell me what you think? 201 Sea Lane is the name of the thread. Cheers!

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#46 Old 20th Oct 2009 at 5:35 PM
Oh no! I now have to ignore everything you say...LOL. I'm in grave danger of going off topic here but as long as you're a hockey fan who happens to live or be from Detroit then I have to support your support for your team It's those yahoos that just like to cause trouble that I can't stand (on every team)

Anyway, I seem to not be having any trouble with the bar stools so I think I'm going to leave them. And of course I'll look at your house
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#47 Old 21st Oct 2009 at 7:45 AM
Finally updates and pretty pictures! The only issues I'm having right now is deciding if I should give Jacob a double bed or a single bed. Need to find a bed with no headboard if possible but I can live without that. Wish I were better at meshing since my attempt to do a ramp for Billy was laughable at best.
Lab Assistant
#48 Old 25th Oct 2009 at 2:53 AM
Hi Elizabella! Sorry about taking so long to get your message. I haven't checked in to mts for a while.

I think this looks ready. The only things that might add a final touch is some ground cover around the bushes in the front of the home (roses I think) and maybe change the double bed to a single bed. I also noticed some brick-style ground cover in the barn. Was this cc? If so, remember that you cannot delete it from the house when you check it with Clean Installer because it will corrupt it for downloaders. Just disclose it. If it isn't cc then you have nothing to worry about-lol.

I will keep my fingers crossed when you're ready to upload it for moderation!!!! :D

Locked thread | Locked by: spladoum Reason: Useful house-making/decorating/landscaping tips.
Page 2 of 2