Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Zombie Socks
#26 Old 24th Mar 2009 at 9:18 PM
Can we see a top-down view?

Nintendork Island | Please call me WWW!| Despite what avatar says, loves all of mts <3
Advertisement
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#27 Old 24th Mar 2009 at 9:22 PM
well it is hard to tell; from what I can see the upstairs area looks ok , but really a couple of overhead floorplan shots would help. What I can see is you are a bit stuck for what to do on the ground floor - I like the idea of the toilet stall, you can develop that a bit, and as you have BV why not use the souvenir shelf arranged in rows in one corner to look like an old storage area?Use walls to block off about 2 tiles wide and make a little room.

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Mostly Harmless
retired moderator
#28 Old 25th Mar 2009 at 1:54 AM
can you put up overhead pic of the floor plan?

Check out my other downloads at my blog!
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 26th Mar 2009 at 3:45 PM
Miss_Simpleton: You may be right there, but could you be descriptive to give the creator (Foxication) a little help in knowing what needs work? *thumbs up*

It's coming along, Foxication, but I agree with the others that an overhead floorplan would be nice to see exactly what space is available. I don't have BV, but the shelves that Leese gave is a good idea.

Atra esterní ono thelduin/Mor'ranr lífa unin hjarta onr/Un du evarínya ono varda.
Atra gülai un ilian taught ono un atra ono waíse sköliro frá rauthr.
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 27th Mar 2009 at 3:30 AM
okay well i didnt give a good description so here goes. It's just that the look is so boring. I would not want to live there. Can you perk it up a little bit? Unless you are going for depressing than I think its good cause it is. First say if you want a drab look then if you don't I could suggest some better walls and floors and furniture
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 27th Mar 2009 at 3:47 AM
I would agree that the terrain should be covered by maxis, maybe the gravel? because I really dislike custom terrain myself, and because the contrast is so harsh and hurts my eyes

Let's see...why not take off the left first-story roof (as facing) and make it flat instead? For some reason that section just looks awkward to me. But putting down that tar-paper floor (I think it's base game) and one of the metal fences (the black bars ?) might make it look a little more industrial. My two cents

Good luck with getting the lot flat! You've gone to a lot effort for this lot, so I'd really love to see it finished and uploaded! :D

“Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people.” George Bernard Shaw

My creations
Test Subject
#32 Old 27th Mar 2009 at 6:00 AM
I think it's coming along pretty good, however, it needs more windows. I saw some Maxis ones in my game that MIGHT look good with it, and they're Maxis too. I might have to go back and check to see what they're called, and tell you.
Also, what it could really use is more TRIANGLES in the roof. A lot of warehouses I've seen have roofs that look like several right triangles (forgot the scientific name) all in a row. I think they're called Isosceles triangles. Anyway, just do an image search of a factory/warehouse roof and you'll see what I mean. That's what I think might work anyway.
But, in all honesty, if this were improved just a little more, I'd download it. It'd look great with the neighborhood I'm working on atm.

Keep up the good work!
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 27th Mar 2009 at 7:43 AM
rc1138, do you mean the shed roof tool? That could work to give a warehouse feel, certainly.

“Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people.” George Bernard Shaw

My creations
Zombie Socks
#34 Old 27th Mar 2009 at 5:47 PM
Actually, putting on actual roofs wouldn't really give it much of a warehouse look at all. Warehouses traditionally have flat roofs.

Nintendork Island | Please call me WWW!| Despite what avatar says, loves all of mts <3
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#35 Old 27th Mar 2009 at 7:40 PM
I think the roof you mean was done by pbox on one of the smaller backyard lane lots (I have it in game) it looks like

/|/|/|...you know?

Meanwhile, we wait for floorplans or has the none flatness of the lot driven this creator off into the land of madness?

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#36 Old 27th Mar 2009 at 8:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by leesester
I think the roof you mean was done by pbox on one of the smaller backyard lane lots (I have it in game) it looks like

/|/|/|...you know?

I think you mean this:

(or something similar)

Yes, that's also what I know as "classical" warehouse/industrial roofing. There's also other types of course (flat, or a low gable perhaps) – but a steep gable like on the pics of the OP would seem rather unusual. Might work for a building that's meant to be really old (think medieval-type storage spaces, stables etc), in which case a comparison pic would help.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#37 Old 27th Mar 2009 at 9:36 PM
okay, thank you all very much for all of your great suggestions. i'm not sure if i'm supposed to make a new thread, or if i can post this here, but instead of a residential abandoned warehouse i came up with a different idea i've been working on.

i want it to be one of possibly, two things
right now this is an abandoned factory, i want to turn it into an old abandoned jail, like one you would find in detroit. a very harsh one.

this is a factory at the moment, where kind of illegal things are made. it's very urban like something from a harsh neighborhood.

what do you think of my 'abandoned jail' idea?
or should it stay a factory?
and what do you think overall?

by the way, if you'd like, anyone is welcome to finish my 'residential abandoned warehouse' project. i might start over when i'm through with my new idea

one more thing. the terrain paint is maxis completely, i made sure.
and the lot is completely flat.

sims can use the dormers, but theres very little space

note: there are a few paysite items, they'll have to be removed if i upload this, but i can mention where they are from.
i have my custom content back too, and all eps installed so i included ceilings.

there is also **ONE** 'adult' item that will also be removed. it's kind of censored out so you don't have to worry, as this site is better kept PG13.
other than that, every thing else is appropriate. this lot freaked me out while i was making it, because it is very unappealing when you get a good look at it.
and, unlike my before project, this is a community lot.

sorry if you can't read the small red writing, it's blurry i know.
Screenshots

"Someday, and that day may never come, I'll call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day - accept this justice as a gift on my daughter's wedding day." - Don Vito Corleone [Godfather]
Mostly Harmless
retired moderator
#38 Old 27th Mar 2009 at 9:43 PM
I think you should keep this one as the abandoned factory. It certainly looks like a rundown factory and I think it looks pretty good. You could make an abandoned jail as another lot.

Check out my other downloads at my blog!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#39 Old 27th Mar 2009 at 9:47 PM
yeah, i guess i should. i only thought of the jail idea AFTER i made the whole factory set up. good news though, i'm getting better at roofing. atleast i think i'm improving a little.

"Someday, and that day may never come, I'll call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day - accept this justice as a gift on my daughter's wedding day." - Don Vito Corleone [Godfather]
Test Subject
#40 Old 28th Mar 2009 at 9:11 AM
Love the new look. I have a few ideas for a business now. The odd gray patch thing on the right couldn't be removed as it looks out of place in my opinion.
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#41 Old 28th Mar 2009 at 11:40 AM
hi. Well a few comments:

I suggest that you try and finish one theme before going off on another one; in my experience changing ideas like this will result in a lot of unfinished projects littering your hood, so I would say pick what you are going to do and finish it.
Looking at your screenshots of the new design and interior what you are really doing is showcasing other peoples custom content; the design of the lot is actually pretty basic.
On the outside I am happy to see that you have done some work with maxis terrain paint, and it does look better, and indeed that roof is better than the previous one.
As a creator, of course I think people should use CC, but only if it is to achieve an effect that CANNOT be achieved using maxis items. I always build my lots totally non cc and then review them and then add a maximum of 5 pieces of cc. It is a good rule of thumb, and then you can use the CC to enhance the lot, rather than making a lot made of cc.
The outside is looking better though.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#42 Old 28th Mar 2009 at 6:41 PM
alright, some people use heavy amounts of custom content to really achieve the look that the maxis things can't give you. it just gives the feel of the run down, old look and i think i'm going to stick with custom content on this one. thank you for the suggestion anyways, leesester.
about the unfinished thing, i decided it'd be easier to do something else because i don't have the old lot in my downloads anymore, i reinstalled my games and replaced my ea games folder with my old folder that i had before.
i like this idea better, anyways.

death- the grey patch can be removed, it's a piece of custom content from maty.
i can easily just delete it.

Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#43 Old 28th Mar 2009 at 9:13 PM Last edited by plasticbox : 28th Mar 2009 at 9:35 PM.
The "grey patch" is ripped from Castaway Stories, so please remove it. You can't use or distribute that kind of thing here.

Also, about the lot: how would this have been a jail? There are no cells, no "fortifications" of any kind, no visitor room, no workshops .. you might want to go look at some pictures of actual jails before attempting to build one.

I second everything that leesester said. There's nothing wrong with using CC per se, particularly for "special" lots (that have content that Maxis don't offer), but you need to be aware that what counts is still the lot itself -- many people won't want to install any additional CC, so they'll end up with a very bland building. I know that Maxis don't have much in the way of "run down" items, but you could perhaps try to stick with build mode CC only.

You might want to cut down on EPs used, as well .. right now this is a lot that can easily be built in the Base Game; there's no point in making it require all EPs when you don't use any of the features they offer. If you want to keep it like this, you should perhaps look into the AnyGameStarter (which allows you to run different game configurations).

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Test Subject
#44 Old 31st Mar 2009 at 8:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by leesester

/|/|/|...you know?

Meanwhile, we wait for floorplans or has the none flatness of the lot driven this creator off into the land of madness?

Yeah, that would be it.
Or at least that's what comes to mind whenever I think of warehouses or factories.
Locked thread | Locked by: lidiqnata Reason: some useful info
Page 2 of 2